Blue stuff bars?

Damosane

Hey guys, anyone got any experience with Blue Stuff bars? In the demonstration video they seem to cast a daemon prince torso very easily but videos can easily be edited so thought i'd see what people know :)

here is the video for reference 

It seems to be the same stuff sold in Japan as Oyumaru.  Or "instamold" in North America.  There are quite a few youtube videos on it.  I have some of the clear/foggy white instamold variety.  It mostly works.  I haven't pushed it to the limit, but my friend did replicate a lost backpack for a miniature and after painting I couldn't tell which guy had the replacement unless I picked up the model and looked for it.  Had I not known it was replicated, I probably would have assumed he just put the paint on too thick or something.

As someone who has used it reasonably frequently... 

Its amazing for push fit parts (like a shield icon) and reasonably good for largeish, undetailed pieces. (a demon prince's torso for instance) However anything too small, or fiddly would be a nightmare to replicate seemlessly. 

You often get a bit of a mould line (or overlap if the mould is slightly off) which can be hidden depending on the part, but can be quite unseemly. 

All in all, I would recommend it as an excellent tool in your modelling  arsenal (I have two or three packs) but you have to be realistic about what parts you can copy, and the quality of said copies. 

Thanks for your feedback guys,

@Robzilla do you think a giants torso would work? I'l be converting over it and it doesn't look especially detailed anyhow.

Also would you cast such a large piece in one double mold  or do the two halves separately so it remains hollow and lighter?

I was also planning on using a mix of green stuff and milliput to get sturdiness but keep away the brittleness but i'm far from an expert on putties.

thanks for your help :)

No problem! Happy to help! 

Giants torso would be fine in theory. Especially when converting over it (I tend to only do it when converting over things myself) 

Because of the size and the fact it is hollow, what I'd personally do is mould each half in a one part mould of moderate thickness, and just join the cast parts together after. 

It won't be a perfect fit, but it would be close enough that a bit of green stuff would fix all the problems. 

As to the putties. Green stuff is OK, but a bit too rubbery. 

Super fine miliput is great but brittle. 

I have had good results with the mix of standard miliput and green stuff (about 50/50) as you plan to do. :)

Archived