Is the starter set a good place to start Stormcast?

spacemarine542

Hello everyone,

I have a friend who's willing to split a starter set with me and was wondering if it's worth it to buy it to start a competitive Stormcast list? If not what is the best way to start the army. I'm also looking for a competitive list to build for tournaments in my area.

Yes, every single model in that box is at least tangentially useful and it's the only place you can get a lord relictor(arguably the best model in the whole army) and the lord celestant on dracoth(no ruining a dracothian guard kit doesn't count)

Lord relictor is good, lord celestant on dracoth is okay, but would be better if they had a sigmarite stormshield, liberators are essential, prosecutors with celestial hammers are below average (I didn't paint any of them and converted one into a knight azyros instead), and retributors only come in 3s, when a full unit is 5, so I'd sell them off on ebay (along with the prosecutors) to recoup some cost, and get yourself a proper box of paladins with all the weapon options and starsoul maces.

All in all, great value for money, but if I were to start again, I'd buy the relictor off ebay, get a box of liberators and judicators just so you can get all their weapon options, and then a box of paladins (again, for all weapon options). 

You'll need to have quite a bit:

Lord Castellant - this is almost an auto-include in all armies. Besides being 2nd best melee hero (on foot) in the stormcast faction, it has an ability to give a unit +1 save which heals 1 wound on rolls of 6s. Absolute murder when you use that on units going up vs. hordes.

Lord Celestant on Foot - great general to have, since his command ability gives a +1 to hit bubble in melee combat, turning your ****** liberators into killing machines (possible 2+/3+/-/1 against monsters or high HP enemies). A great fighter too.

Knight Heraldor - also a super popular pick, especially on boards with lots of terrains. One common tactic against stormcast is to hide your heroes behind terrain, and that tactic fails when the knight heraldor is on the field. Great mortal wound dealer at insane ranges.

Vanguard-Raptor /w Longstrike - 26" range (30" if not moved) unit that does 2+/3+/-2/2 ranged, dealing 2 mortal wounds on hit rolls of 6s? Hoe boi, they're the ranged retributors that everybody hates. Top tier shooting unit that can be absolute murder in a specific battalion (aetherstrike force). You'll want multiple boxes of these guys.

A box of Paladins - you'll need the Paladins. I magnetised all weapons so I can deploy the right kind of paladin as I see fit. Retributors are fan favourites, while protectors are great vs. shooting enemies.

Judicators - lowest priority, but they have damned good shooting, and counts as battleline if you are 100% stormcast. Essential in a lot of battalions too. Buy at least 1 box of these guys.

It's great and the models look great, but almost everything in the box is not setup with the "competitive" options.

- Paladins: only 3 and no maces

- Liberators: no special weapons

- Prosecutors: hammers not javelins

- Lord on Dracoth:  No shield

That said, it's a very cheap entry point with loads of models - it's just that in retrospect buying the kits separately would have meant not worrying about how to do all the conversions - which I still haven't got round to!

It's a great deal. I use the liberators, retributor, dracoth, and relictor in my list. You must convert 2 of the liberators to grand hammers however. And it doesn't include starsoul maces for the paladin's.

Boxes of prosecutor come with an extra shield which you can put on the dracoth.

Also note the warscroll in the book in the starter set is easy mode and incomplete. Throw that thing away.

8 hours ago, Iain said:

It's great and the models look great, but almost everything in the box is not setup with the "competitive" options.

- Paladins: only 3 and no maces

- Liberators: no special weapons

- Prosecutors: hammers not javelins

- Lord on Dracoth:  No shield

That said, it's a very cheap entry point with loads of models - it's just that in retrospect buying the kits separately would have meant not worrying about how to do all the conversions - which I still haven't got round to!

Or just ignore WYSIWYG and be happy with tons of models and play them as you want :D

Paladin maces are pretty easy to convert. Whether you get the actual bits via 3rd party or come up with something else (dragon ogre maces work pretty well), they are pretty easy to graft onto the snap fit guys. You will want to get the add on box with the 2 extra paladins (or the SC start collecting box) though as the 2 player set comes with 3, but you will be paying for 5.

Also, the snapfit  liberators are easy to convert into grand hammers. They will be holding them one handed, with a sheild in the other, but it works. Other weapons like the great sword take a bit more work.

Its also possible to convert the snapfit prosecutors into javelins and tridents, though that take ALOT more work. I wound up cutting up axes and splicing them back together to make my weapons.

Getting an extra shield bit and sticking it on your dracoth is one of the easiest things in the world.

In the "Retributor without Starsouls maces" problem, it as easy as painting the maces of 2 retributors (Because with this set you SHOULD buy the Storm Cast Start Collecting! Box. They are made to be complementary one to another) blue and with a lighting effect. I have seen armies with that trick, at never encounter anyone with problems about that. 

28 minutes ago, Galas said:

In the "Retributor without Starsouls maces" problem, it as easy as painting the maces of 2 retributors (Because with this set you SHOULD buy the Storm Cast Start Collecting! Box. They are made to be complementary one to another) blue and with a lighting effect. I have seen armies with that trick, at never encounter anyone with problems about that. 

That's exactly what I'm doing. I bought both the starter set (sadly not the snap fit one) and the start collecting box and that set me up pretty well. 

As a bonus with buying the start collecting box is it comes with the special weapons for the liberators(as long as you don't mind one with a great sword) and prosecutors. 

Judicators were the biggest upgrade for me at first (before vanguard came out). Wish they'd had boxes of tens out then. 

To echo the sentiment of first post a little... 

Would two starter sets be worthwhile at all?

Caveat: I am quite a dab hand at conversions, and have gathered up a fair few parts to add variety to the minis. (two handed weapons for the liberators, etc) 

I know you would end up with some duplicates (lord on dracoth). I had the idea of just picking up a second for sheer value for money (and a second batch of khorne bloodhound wouldn't hurt either!). 

I would imagine from that point the next logical step is to pick up a box of paladin for parts and just shelve that sixth starter set retributor. 

How about the prosecutors? Pick up some shields?  convert the javelins? or just run as is? Feel confident converting up either of the winged knight heroes too mind. 

Cheers for any input! 

I'll be honest. If I were to do it again I'd buy the start collecting instead of the starter set and go from there. The retributors in either set is useless. You want the starsoul maces. They're too good to pass up. Also, prosecutors with hammers are kind of worthless. Javelins do the job far better. And you need ranged guys.

I say get a start collecting + 1 paladin + 1 judicator (10) + 1 liberator (10) box. That'll give you 15 liberators, 1 lord celestant, 5 paladins, and 10 judicators: solid almost 1k list and you can then supplement it with individual heroes as you wish.

Archived