Empire/Free Peoples model help

barefootquill

Hi guys,
Pretty new to the game, gotten a few games in with my death stuff but had a nice opportunity to pick up a bunch of Empire (free peoples) stuff. Big fan of the models so jumped on it.

First lot, getting all of this to star, trade already done:

Hero
7x Knights
5x White Wolf Knights
16x Hand Gunners
16x Spearmen
3x Demigryph knights

Second lot, need help with:

20 spears w/command
20 spears w/command
30 hand gunners
20 greatswords (metal)
5 pistoliers
3 wizards
2 priests
Mortar
and a foot general

Could anyone advise on what's worth leaving from the second lot? In so far as what I probably wouldn't use so not worth cleaning up. (its in a bit of a state)

Much appreciated!

Hi Barefootquill,

Sounds like you got the old state troup models?

I'd recommend to keep more spearmen and convert some as swordmen if possible - this is the best loadout for them.

you should definitely stick to the handgunners, preferabably with multiple command units and longrifle on the Champions - they deal solid damage on range especially when buffed with things like the Hurricanum. And greatswords are our fantastic elite infantry, keep them! 

If there's a life wizard, you can keep him too for healing units you will want to buy in the future like a steamtank or a Hurricanum.

Cheers, Steini

Well I actually don't play free people but I've seen him pop up in a few lists on this forum.. probably better wait one people with real knowledge before you try and get one. Or get a few games in with what you have and see if you need the big guy.

40 minutes ago, barefootquill said:

Worth getting one?

It's a nice model ?

And the General on griffon is the more offensive approach because of his Speed and the hitting power of the griffon. He is good for buffing your knights, while the General in foot/horse favours defensive playstyles. But I still need to playtest mine, too...

Sadly Demigryphs are a bit over-costed for what they do on the board. With any luck they'll get a slight decrease in GHB2.

Hurricanum is a must-have (although is Collegiate Arcanum, not Free Peoples FYI - assuming you're doing Mixed Order though).

If you're going to use a Steam Tank I highly recommend a Loremaster running around after him (spell to re-roll hits and wounds) - makes it much more cost-effective

Sadly it seems the second lot has fallen through, he had a better offer, which is fine as its a smaller more reasonable base to start with. 

2x Foot heroes

Mounted hero

16x spearmen

20x swordsmen

20x crossbow

16x handgunners

7x Knights

5x Hammer knights

6x Demigryph Knights

Steamtank

Hurricanum

Obviously Ill be looking to fill out the gaps in the units to make round numbers, but...

1: Best way to build from there? 

2: Any real reason to keep to freeguild or empire specifically? I read their battalions are no longer legal in matched play? 

Cheers :) 

10 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

Sadly Demigryphs are a bit over-costed for what they do on the board. With any luck they'll get a slight decrease in GHB2.

Hurricanum is a must-have (although is Collegiate Arcanum, not Free Peoples FYI - assuming you're doing Mixed Order though).

If you're going to use a Steam Tank I highly recommend a Loremaster running around after him (spell to re-roll hits and wounds) - makes it much more cost-effective

What model represents a loremaster? 

9 minutes ago, barefootquill said:

What model represents a loremaster? 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Loremaster-of-Hoeth?_requestid=4508944  

10 minutes ago, barefootquill said:

Sadly it seems the second lot has fallen through, he had a better offer, which is fine as its a smaller more reasonable base to start with. 

2x Foot heroes

Mounted hero

16x spearmen

20x swordsmen

20x crossbow

16x handgunners

7x Knights

5x Hammer knights

6x Demigryph Knights

Steamtank

Hurricanum

Obviously Ill be looking to fill out the gaps in the units to make round numbers, but...

2: Any real reason to keep to freeguild or empire specifically? I read their battalions are no longer legal in matched play? 

So I ended up coming into Empire as a means to expand my Duardin (Dwarfs), who I found struggling on their own.

There is people running them more pure-faction who I'm sure will pipe up on this thread soonish. All I can really contribute, is that you've got access to cheapish, decent battleline (which is super helpful). Lots, and lots, of shooting (which is doing well in AoS at the moment), and an ok amount of buffs (wizards, heroes, behemoths etc - with decent abilities that help out your units).

I've since moved on to another army. However if I was still using Empire I'd definitely focus on shooting as that's its biggest asset, and I'd echo the sentiment of those above, that a General on Griffon is probably worth a look at.

Quick look at your list, there's definitely room for some artillery in there! If that's how you like to play.

Best thing you can do is get a 2000 pt list together, get it on a table and see what you enjoy playing with!

Here's a 2K list you could make out of your current roster (with an extra 4 handgunners)

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Crossbowmen (200)
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)

Units
5 x Empire Knights (140)
- Lance and Sword
10 x Freeguild Greatswords (160)
3 x Demigryph Knights (200)
- Lance and Sword
3 x Demigryph Knights (200)
- Lance and Sword

War Machines
Steam Tank (300)

Total: 2000/2000

2 hours ago, barefootquill said:

2x Foot heroes

Mounted hero

16x spearmen

20x swordsmen

20x crossbow

16x handgunners

7x Knights

5x Hammer knights

6x Demigryph Knights

Steamtank

Hurricanum

Agreed, that's a good allround army and as mentioned take a Look at the Ironweld Arsenal if you want to add more firepower to your cause.

For battalions, the Freeguild Regiment is still perfectly fine afaik. But that's a lot of points and you still need Outriders and pistoliers as a tax. 

Archived