Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, High Overlord Xenu said:

The question to me is whether the helmets for female Kharadrons still have beards.

Like is the beardhelmet aesthetic or is it supposed to be functional?

Beard armor is about as functional as boobplate armor I imagine. Which is to say not very. 

While the books don't really elaborate on the lengths of their current beards, I would imagine most Arkanauts can't grow it out in braids and knots like their Dispossessed and Fyreslayer kin and probably have the beards on their helms as a form of compensation I suppose. While its hard to imagine Dwarfs without their long flowing beards but practically, where would the beard fit in those helmets?

I read the Spear of shadows and I think it is said that KO have beards, and even had no helmets while foreigners were around .(not sure though because of my  bad memory). 

However a captain KO is chewing a cigare so I believe it is not integrated in the helmet :D

Hi all, I'm a Dispossessed player pretty burn out by the lack of option/rules/battletome and I wrote this list of KO. I don't want to play a top tier list, just an enjoyable one whle playing with my friends! 

Tell me what you guys think.

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
- Artefact: Masterwrought Armour 
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 
Endrinmaster (140)
- Artefact: Gattlesson's Endless Repeater 
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Skypikes
- 3x Skypikes
- 3x Skypikes
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 2x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 2x Drill Cannons
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
- Allies
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Great Endrinworks: Prudency Chutes
Iron Sky Squadron (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 40 / 400
Wounds: 102

6 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

Hi all, I'm a Dispossessed player pretty burn out by the lack of option/rules/battletome and I wrote this list of KO. I don't want to play a top tier list, just an enjoyable one whle playing with my friends! 

Tell me what you guys think.

- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
- Artefact: Masterwrought Armour 
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 
Endrinmaster (140)
- Artefact: Gattlesson's Endless Repeater 
- 3x Skypikes
- 3x Skypikes
- 3x Skypikes
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 2x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 2x Drill Cannons
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
- Allies
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Great Endrinworks: Prudency Chutes
Iron Sky Squadron (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 40 / 400
Wounds: 102

Where it me, I could see going with the skypikes for the 20 company that will be in one frigate or the other (though it's probably a bit suboptimal still, but not bad).  However, for the other 10 that will be footsloggers I'd definetly consider giving them a shooting special weapon.  Skyhooks are probably the best choice, but Volly Guns would be okay too. 

Any thoughts on this list in terms of viability? Not planning to win tournaments with it but be moderately competitive. Finishing up a Death army and looking to finally pull the trigger on a Duardin army.

This tickles my fancy thematically and “seems” decent. It’s not 100% Clown Car and I really like the idea of two big ships. Basically get alpha strike on the Hearthguard through the Runesmiter and the boats with Zilfin Skyport. Thought about swapping out the Khemist with an Endrinmaster for ship repairs. 

It's three drops.... Runesmiter + Hearthguard, One boat with 2 companies and 6x skywardens, One boat with 1 company, Khemist and 6x wardens.

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: Surrender Is Rarely Profitable

Leaders
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
- Allies
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Fleetmaster

Units
15 x Auric Hearthguard (300)
- Allies

10 x Arkanaut Company (120)

6 x Skywardens (200)
6 x Skywardens (200)

War Machines

Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun : Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks : Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)

Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun : Great Sky Cannon

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 380 / 400

HI,

I'm just starting to build up my KO army  and i'm after some advice for my Endriggers and Sky Wardens
I'm building 3 end riggers at the moment and i'm wondering what special weapon (if any) i should give them?

My initial thought is either the sky hook or grapnel launcher to help them move around a bit more but i was wondering what you fine people think

Also i have another 3 still on sprue so should i build a unit of sky wardens for variety or am i better off bulking out my endriggers?

Cheers

Andy

4 hours ago, Aktr said:

HI,

I'm just starting to build up my KO army  and i'm after some advice for my Endriggers and Sky Wardens
I'm building 3 end riggers at the moment and i'm wondering what special weapon (if any) i should give them?

My initial thought is either the sky hook or grapnel launcher to help them move around a bit more but i was wondering what you fine people think

Also i have another 3 still on sprue so should i build a unit of sky wardens for variety or am i better off bulking out my endriggers?

Cheers

Andy

With just 3 Endrinriggers, I wouldn't give them any special weapons, you want all their melee attacks, buffed by a Khemist if possible.  if you make another 3, then I would get a grapple included, or even 2 if you really want them to be able to grapple.  Depending on what else is in your army, you may be better off having a unit of 6 Endrinriggers, instead of 3 Endrinriggers and 3 Sky Warden.  It'll pack a better punch or counter-attack than just 3.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, eekamouse said:

Any thoughts on this list in terms of viability? Not planning to win tournaments with it but be moderately competitive. Finishing up a Death army and looking to finally pull the trigger on a Duardin army.

This tickles my fancy thematically and “seems” decent. It’s not 100% Clown Car and I really like the idea of two big ships. Basically get alpha strike on the Hearthguard through the Runesmiter and the boats with Zilfin Skyport. Thought about swapping out the Khemist with an Endrinmaster for ship repairs. 

It's three drops.... Runesmiter + Hearthguard, One boat with 2 companies and 6x skywardens, One boat with 1 company, Khemist and 6x wardens.

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: Surrender Is Rarely Profitable

Leaders
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
- Allies
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General

Units
15 x Auric Hearthguard (300)
- Allies

6 x Skywardens (200)
6 x Skywardens (200)

War Machines

Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Great Endrinworks : Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)

Arkanaut Ironclad (440)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 380 / 400

Very similar to what I run.The differences is im using 20 beserkers to come on backfiield with the smiter.6 Endrinriggers and 6 Wardens and I like to use Brokk Grundson as my General as he always wrecks face if not shot down first.I also only run one boat(the Ironclad).

I do like adding in the Firgate though,,one thing to consider,since the Frigates damage output is marginal,,is instead using a Gunhauler to add more survivability to the IC,it still has the big gun so its not too much of a step down from the frigate in damage output.I wouldnt be too concerned about the loss of transport capacity as you will probably want to have at least one company objective sitting in the back anyway,,those guys should have the light hooks of course.

50 minutes ago, Thostos said:

Very similar to what I run.The differences is im using 20 beserkers to come on backfiield with the smiter.6 Endrinriggers and 6 Wardens and I like to use Brokk Grundson as my General as he always wrecks face if not shot down first.I also only run one boat(the Ironclad).

I do like adding in the Firgate though,,one thing to consider,since the Frigates damage output is marginal,,is instead using a Gunhauler to add more survivability to the IC,it still has the big gun so its not too much of a step down from the frigate in damage output.I wouldnt be too concerned about the loss of transport capacity as you will probably want to have at least one company objective sitting in the back anyway,,those guys should have the light hooks of course.

That's great info. Thanks. Ya I wanted to take Brokk but he felt expensive to me.

6 hours ago, Crispen said:

Hi guys,

I've been looking to see if there is a restriction on what port Brokk can be in, but can't seem to see any restrictions.

Could I include him in any then?

Thanks in advance for the help!

There's no restriction other than fluff reasons.

So I was thinking of what would be the equivalent of a "Slayer" in Kharadron society, seeing as the Fyreslayers are essentially have that market cornered. I finished Overlords of the Iron Dragon and wonder what would happen to Captains that are voted off their commands/ships due to their lack of success in trade and profits.

What would happen when they returned back to their respective Sky-Ports? Are they considered disgraced and will never command a ship again? Or do you think they would take up a "Slayer" type role, where instead of looking for a way to die in glorious combat, they head out looking for very dangerous financial prospects or great reserves of Aether-Gold and will not return to their Sky-Ports until they have something worth calling a lucrative venture? Its in keeping with the mercantile and adventurous nature of the Kharadron Overlords and would make for an interesting Hero class.

13 hours ago, Badlander86 said:

So I was thinking of what would be the equivalent of a "Slayer" in Kharadron society, seeing as the Fyreslayers are essentially have that market cornered. I finished Overlords of the Iron Dragon and wonder what would happen to Captains that are voted off their commands/ships due to their lack of success in trade and profits.

What would happen when they returned back to their respective Sky-Ports? Are they considered disgraced and will never command a ship again? Or do you think they would take up a "Slayer" type role, where instead of looking for a way to die in glorious combat, they head out looking for very dangerous financial prospects or great reserves of Aether-Gold and will not return to their Sky-Ports until they have something worth calling a lucrative venture? Its in keeping with the mercantile and adventurous nature of the Kharadron Overlords and would make for an interesting Hero class.

Yeah i think the battletome suggests they join the crew, but the Overlord novel (and Spear of Shadows to a lesser extent) expands massively on how Kharadron society actually works.  I think an ex-captain could join a crew, or be a cast-out, depends on how they were ousted.  Certainly some could become rouges or thieves or such if they have lost all honour.  

16 hours ago, stato said:

Yeah i think the battletome suggests they join the crew, but the Overlord novel (and Spear of Shadows to a lesser extent) expands massively on how Kharadron society actually works.  I think an ex-captain could join a crew, or be a cast-out, depends on how they were ousted.  Certainly some could become rouges or thieves or such if they have lost all honour.  

Reminds me of Black Sails a few years back. I was really addicted to that series and the fluff of the Kharadron Overlords mirrors the culture of "democracy" in the Pirate culture.

A "John Silver" type character in KO would be cool, one of Barak-Mhonar since they seem to play fast and loose with the concept of Honor and the Kharadron Code.

Hey all,

Thought I'd share my list that I used at a small, local tournament this weekend, how it did and what my thoughts are on it. 

- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Doughty Champion
- Artefact : Staff of Ocular Optimisation
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact : Aethershock Earbuster

- 3 x Light Skyhooks
- 3 x Light Skyhooks
- 3 x Aethermatic Volley Guns
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 10 x Aethershot Rifles
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 2 x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 2 x Drill Cannons

Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Great Endrinworks : The Last Word

Total: 1480 / 1500

Game #1 - Ironjawz - (Starstrike)

My opponent had an insane Brute and Gordrakk Ironfist battalion, deployed everything in a line bar Gordrakk, hiding him behind some terrain before giving me turn #1. I managed to shift my line up a little and put out some reasonably good shooting, I think one brute unit of five was shot off the table and a couple more were slightly wounded. On his turn he moved incredibly fast up the table, hiding Gordrakk behind a building on my right flank, protecting him from most of my ranged power. Who won turn priority next is a little hazy, but Gordrakk managed to charge both my thunderers and an Arkanaut unit, wiping them both in one turn of combat. The following turn I somehow still managed to gun him down before he did any more damage and from there I cleaned up the remaining brutes with my own army in tatters. I sailed the Ironclad towards one of the objectives at the end of turn 3 to give myself some safety points and we called it there. Major victory!

Game #2 - Death (Legion of Sacrament - I think?) - (Total Conquest)

Their army consisted of two necromancers, Arkhan, a Mortis Engine, Hexwraiths, three/four of units of wolves and a massive unit of Spirit Hosts. I gave him first turn, he capped 3 objectives but didn't manage to pop many meaningful spells off.  On my turn I moved my Skywardens to the left objective, firing on the wolves there before charging them to outnumber on the point. The objective on my right was behind terrain, so I couldn't shoot the wolves off it and didn't really have the mobility to go and contest. I instead moved my block forwards in an attempt to put a dent in his army. I did some heavy damage to a wolf unit and put a few wounds on both Arkhan and the Mortis Engine. I won priority for turn 2 and started to aggressively move my Ironclad toward the right objective for contesting late-game. The Skywardens remained on the left, firing on the spirit hosts and failing to do any meaningful damage to the wolves they were in combat with. I put the Mortis Engine on one wound (and forgot to use no trading with some people) and put Arkhan down another profile. Hexwraiths and one unit of wolves were gone by this point. He then healed up a bunch of his units, refilled a few slightly and then put me on the back-foot by destroying my Skywardens on the left, leaving me stuck in the middle. Arkhan and the Mortis charged in, killing the Thunderers but died for it the following turn. At that point I couldn't catch up on points, we played on a bit longer but it was a Major Loss for me!

Game #3 - Death - (Duality of Death)

My opponents army consisted of a Lord on Zombie Dragon, a Coven Throne, Necromancer, Dire Wolves, Black Knights and a big block of 40 Skeletons. I chose to take turn 2 and he spent his turn one putting his lord and coven throne on both points, stacking heavily on the point near where I'd stacked most of my army. I managed to double turn and shot nearly everything off the board. The Lord died, the 40 skeletons went (thanks Earbuster!) and most of the black knights died. I then spend the next couple of turns cleaning up and shooting the Coven Throne off the other point to take the Major Victory.

My Thoughts

The army I'd picked out put out some devastating shooting but really really lacked in mobility, which really showed in game #2. Layering up my dwarfs inside each other really helped me in game #1, but I should have moved my units differently to prevent Gordrakk from taking two of them out in one turn. Game #2 I'm not sure I could have done much differently, his ghostly units ignored all of my rend and his big buffing units were incredibly hard to kill and I really wasn't mobile enough to respond to what was happening. Game #3 was a bit disappointing for both sides, I rolled pretty well and the Kharadron rend really came into effect which made it a bit of a non-contest. 

I'm looking to expand and possibly even attend the Element Games Grand Slam this summer. Based on how this list performed I'll probably be looking toward Zilfin to help me out with getting onto objectives and taking as many bubbleboys as I can fit in. I'm even tempted to look into the Runesmiter & Berzerker combo mentioned above!

So I'm trying to figure out a competitive list other than Clown Car/Party Boat. Someone tell me why the following wouldn't work. Obviously artefacts and traits TBD, especially since I don't think I can use Endrinworks in a Tempest Eye list.

Allegiance: Tempest's Eye

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
Lord-Ordinator (100)

Battleline
 -3x Light Skyhooks
 -3x Light Skyhooks

3x Light Skyhooks

Units
12 x Endrinriggers (480)

War Machines
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley Cannon
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley Cannon

Total: 1960 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Wounds: 100

Hey guys,

I'm new to the hobby and recently got involved in a small point tournament environment. We're starting a 500pt escalation league to begin and will slowly grow as more of our roughly 12-15 members collect more units.

My question is does anyone have a recommendation for my roster. I've been collecting the KO's for about 3 months because I like painting them so I have 1-2 sets of almost everything including Brokk.

Any recommendations would help me greatly as again, I'm new to this, but I would really like to know a good starting formation with 500pts. I know its small and not a lot to work with but thanks again!

9 hours ago, Sky Kraken said:

Hey guys,

I'm new to the hobby and recently got involved in a small point tournament environment. We're starting a 500pt escalation league to begin and will slowly grow as more of our roughly 12-15 members collect more units.

My local community is doing something similar, but starting at 750 and using the Malign Portents rules. Two games at each level and then going up 250 points. Here's what I am starting with:

• Lord Ordinator
  • Khemist
  • 2 x 10 Arkanauts
  • 6 Endrinriggers

If you have battleline requirements, you really don't have much room to change things up. I'll add a Frigate when it goes up to 1K. The problem I see, is we are pretty slow and fragile at these small sizes, which is a bad combination for any scenario with objectives. That's why I would tend to get as many endrinriggers and skywardens as possible early on. Use them to maneuver around and capture objectives, but try to keep them out of harm's way until late in the game. That's my plan at least:D

9 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

My local community is doing something similar, but starting at 750 and using the Malign Portents rules. Two games at each level and then going up 250 points. Here's what I am starting with:

• Lord Ordinator
  • Khemist
  • 2 x 10 Arkanauts
  • 6 Endrinriggers

Thanks! I was wondering about the skywardens or Endrinriggers also, but I'll try your suggestion. Thanks again!

Okay, I've mucked about with a few different 2000pt lists but between something half-decent and something fluffy I narrowed it down to roughly this. How is it looking?

Skyport: Barak-Thryng
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders

Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Artefact : Grudgehammer

Aether-Khemist (140)

Units

20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6 x Light Skyhooks

- 3 x Skypikes

- 3 x Aethermatic Volley Guns

6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 2 x Grapnel Launchers

War Machines

Arkanaut Frigate (280)

Arkanaut Frigate (280)

Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun : Aethermatic Volley Cannon
- Great Endrinworks : The Last Word

this is a final 2k list for my KO army.

Barak-Urbaz

3x khemist

1x admiral (General)

1x Frigate (the last word)

12x skywarden(4x drill cannon , 4x aether volley)

12x skywarden(4x drill cannon,4x aether volley)

10x arkanaut company (3x light skyhook)

2,000/2,000 pts.

keep a distance between your and Op army then Shoot'em all

Am I remembering wrong or did one point shortly after the Ko release last year did gw show us an image thanking us for their support and telling us how well the Ko sold and they would return in the future to the KO? 

Also anywhere I can find about dwarven runes to write on my ships? I see them on some ships and wondering where the script is coming from. 

Archived