Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

1 hour ago, AsraiR said:

So looking at the Thunderers sprue we do only get one of each special weapon. Brainstorming using the spare mortar bomb you could mount it into one of the other weapons to get two mortars out of the kit.

Thinking it might make a nice unit with varied range threat which would be nice.

I think gw shouldn't do this too much.. 5 models and 5 different rolls for 1 unit doesn't keep the game speedy and it's not easy to keep things c Lear what you roll for your opponent (a 3 .. miss, No I was rolling that weapon etc.). You can probably roll quicker for 60 goblins with the same weapon than for this unit.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Endrinmaster (140)
- General
- Trait: Stickler for the Code:These are Just Guidelines 
- Artefact: Gattlesson's Endless Repeater 
Aether-Khemist (100)
Aether-Khemist (100)
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Skypikes
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns

Units
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1x Drill Cannons
5 x Grundstok Thunderers (100)
- 2x Aethershot Rifles
- 1x Aetheric Fumigators
- 2x Aethercannons

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Malefic Skymines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Malefic Skymines
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Breath of Morgrim (Barak-Urbaz)

Battalions
Iron Sky Squadron (80)

Total: 2000/2000

At the moment I am thinking about the above -  note that I do not claim this to be some great efficiency squeezing masterwork. It does have a couple of things going for it though:

• Possible two drop list (Iron Sky Squadron, Ironclad with everybody else)
  • Reasonable mortal wound output (There's no trading with some people, Breath of Morgrim, Skymines, Drill cannon)
  • Super efficient Aether-Khemists

I have chosen Barak Urbaz because I like their unique footnote, the efficiency of their Khemists and their unique Great Endrinwork. I am not fussed on their Artycle, so have gone for Stickler for the Code to change it in game (of the Artycles I like the grudge one). As to actual game plan.

The Ironclad would receive the Skypike arkanauts, the Endrinmaster, an Aether Khemist and the Thunderers, and would be used as the battering ram - point at an objective and full speed ahead. A round of shooting with the Aether Khemist buffing the arkanauts and the Thunderers as well as 3 gaze of Grungni attacks in addition to the Ironclad itself with its shots and the Breath of Morgrim, followed by a charge.

One of the Frigates would have the Skyhook arkanauts, the Aether Khemist with the Aethersight Loupe and the Endrinriggers. This would be the big monster hunter unit - lots of high rend attacks. So, identify the biggest baddest target and get stuck in.

The final Frigate would only have the last unit of arkanauts and would be my utility unit. Happy to hang back to hold objectives with them, or assault a weakly held objective or reinforce one of the other units. Basically the PBI - expected to do everything and get no glory! Worth also noting that I have made no particular provision for Khemist action with these guys as basically any other unit will make better use of the buff.

Couple of general thoughts.

• How does everybody read the Banebreath Mask? Breath of Morgrim is clear that you choose one unit, but with the Mask I read it as basically saying that for each enemy unit within 3" you roll a d6 and on a 4+ do a mortal wound.
  • Doing some number crunching around the buffs offered by the Ironclad. Number 1 priority for damage maximization is getting the aethershot carbines in range, so +3" range if that gets them in range. Reroll 1's on to hit is more useful than +2 Carbine shots, but obviously +2 carbines works with other sources of re-rolls. Re-rolls versus flying targets is the best for damage output, but obviously highly situational.

For the first turn, I would probably run with the +3" range order. This helps maximise the shots you can put out, especially when you include the +1 to all ranged attacks for the Iron Sky Squadron. Basically it just ensures that everything should be in range. 

That's about all the thought I've given to the flagship orders so far, anyway.

I like your idea of the ironclad battering ram unit. I intend to run something similar. Although I'll be using an Admiral instead of Endrinmaster & I intend to use a full five fumigators. I'll also be running with the Zon benefits, so I'm interested to see how your set-up goes compared to mine.

What about Arkanaut Company MSU? I know that ships are mainstay for KO but what I'm thinking about other possibilities like (for 1500 points - we play this format quite often in my group)

Barak Urbaz for Khemists buff

Admiral for his battleshock bubble and several unit of arkanauts with skyhooks.  As a backup 10 thunderers with mortars. 

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Artefact: Hammer of Aethermatic Might 
Aether-Khemist (100)
Aether-Khemist (100)

Battleline
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6x Light Skyhooks
- 6x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 10x Grundstok Mortars

15 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I don't see much love for the gunhauler, why not?

People think its too flimsy?, I like it, My1k list includes 1. 

List for Clarification

Endrinmiester or admiral 140

Frigate ( great skyhook ) 280

Gunhauler (drillcannon) 220

10  company 2 pikes 1 repeater 120

10 company 2 pikes 1 repeater 120

3 endriggers 120

= 1000 

35 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I don't see much love for the gunhauler, why not?

Personally I think it is decently tough and moves fast enough, it just does not seem to hit very hard. Its fine in narrative games and the way it works in a fleet of ships is really nice but in matched play it just feels like a lot of points for what it does.

As an illustration I can have 2 units of Skywardens for fewer points; they can have twice as many Drill Cannons, Volley Guns rather than Carbines and have more wounds with a better save.

I may just have missed what makes them good in matched play but so far my view of them is that they lose out to other KO options that can fill the same role better.

Anyone thinks the Gunhauler ridiculously weak? I can only kill average a Librator every turn with its pissing drill cannon. But it costs 220 points. It's main weapon is the same profile in Skywarden's hand but just shorter range. And a group of Ksywarden only cost 100 points with some really nice other missliles... How could it be?

Actually the Ironclad and Frigate is also low on damage. But at least they can transport something so we cannot see them as just warmachine. But what can Gunhauler do in the game?

Think of it more like an alternative to an Ironweld Arsenal Cannon. Fo 40 points more, you get less range and one less shot with a similar profile, which seems like a huge downside. But, it can never have the crew shot off and become useless, it zips around the board quickly, can protect your other ships, and can be repaired (just also harder to kill overall).

It's more like a mobile artillery piece with less reliability and range but more board presence and survivability.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Just picked up two frigates, three arkanaut companies and an admiral so I can start playing and painting. I really don't understand if Theory Sigmar will translate well considering the new transport rules. But I'll let you know in a day or two.

i do have a question for the community. Obviously there is some built in synergy with Prosecutors thanks to the Battalion. But what do you all think would be a great synergy in Order? I'm thinking free people mages would be good, and some normal duarden for foot troops would be fluffy. Thoughts?

In general, the boats (every) are miserable at dealing dammage and are a poor quality of wounds-for-points investment but they go fast and transport things.

However, the Dwarfs are the contrary. They have a massive firepower for points and an aweful movement/resistance.

Do you hear that? That song, it is the FISH OF FURY™ again! Charge things with the boats and block the road while the dwarfs descend from them and open fire! Boats are long to kill.

2 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

Just picked up two frigates, three arkanaut companies and an admiral so I can start playing and painting. I really don't understand if Theory Sigmar will translate well considering the new transport rules. But I'll let you know in a day or two.

i do have a question for the community. Obviously there is some built in synergy with Prosecutors thanks to the Battalion. But what do you all think would be a great synergy in Order? I'm thinking free people mages would be good, and some normal duarden for foot troops would be fluffy. Thoughts?

The same things that are always good: loremaster and hurricanum. Wonder if GHB 2 will break that.

3 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

am I the only one who can't DL the skywardens in the app? Get's the locked icon for stuff that has to be bought.. but not even packs where it could be bought (not that I'd buy it anyway). Bug?

Try closing it completely and reopening, I had to do that to see KO as a faction.

The same things that are always good: loremaster and hurricanum. Wonder if GHB 2 will break that.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I'm wondering if it would be worth it to give up the Faction rules for another d6 and mystic shield. The Zilfin alpha strike is the most compelling to me personally. But that's just my narrow view and I'm really interested in what others see as a good combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now I'm having the problem of fitting an ironclad in with 2 frigates.  Going with Barak-Zon I feel like 3 ships are needed for the fire support.

Also for the azyr app has Anyone else had an issue equipping your ships with endrinworks? My menu pops up blank.

On 23. apr. 2017 at 6:19 PM, Well of Eternity said:

What about Arkanaut Company MSU? I know that ships are mainstay for KO but what I'm thinking about other possibilities like (for 1500 points - we play this format quite often in my group)

Barak Urbaz for Khemists buff

Admiral for his battleshock bubble and several unit of arkanauts with skyhooks.  As a backup 10 thunderers with mortars. 

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Artefact: Hammer of Aethermatic Might 
Aether-Khemist (100)
Aether-Khemist (100)

Battleline
- 6x Light Skyhooks
- 6x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 10x Grundstok Mortars

This is nothing short of KO heresy... But I really wanna run a list like this! I see some problems though:

Lack of mortal/realiable wounds (spamming bad shots as a solution is wastefull)

Close combat?

Moblility!

How do you think it would play?

Never mind that, id like to know where you're going to find all those light hooks!  

I could see a group of 10 mortars targeting an enemy objective to keep them off of it.  Then trust to aethermatics that you can slowly march forward mowing down units in your path.  Perhaps marching to the terminator theme.

39 minutes ago, Mikester1487 said:

Right now I'm having the problem of fitting an ironclad in with 2 frigates.  Going with Barak-Zon I feel like 3 ships are needed for the fire support.

I feel I've resolved that issue (see list below), but can't find space for a Gunhauler at 2k points. Also, is it bad form that I've decided to name my Arkonaut Admiral Jhasson?

Admiral

- General; Stickler for The Code

- Aetherstrike Bludgeon

Aether-Khemist

- Staff of Ocular Optimisation

3x 10 Arkonauts

- 3 sky pikes, 3 volley guns, 3 skyhooks

2x Frigates

- sky cannons, 1x self-healing hull

Ironclad

- cannon, self-healing hull

5x Thunderers

- Fumigators

3x Endrinriggers

3x Sky Wardens

Iron Sky Battalion

Lots of charge shenanigans here, courtesy of Barak-Zon. I could dump the pair of skyrigger squads for a Gunhauler, but that would remove some of my combat units. Plan is for Thunderers, Admiral, Khemist, and sky pike Arkonauts to deploy in the Ironclad as a hammer/vanguard unit. Use Arkonaut companies in frigates as support/flexible units & skyriggers as front line support.

4 minutes ago, Trebuchenanigans said:

I feel I've resolved that issue (see list below), but can't find space for a Gunhauler at 2k points. Also, is it bad form that I've decided to name my Arkonaut Admiral Jhasson?

Admiral

- General; Stickler for The Code

- Aetherstrike Bludgeon

Aether-Khemist

- Staff of Ocular Optimisation

3x 10 Arkonauts

- 3 sky pikes, 3 volley guns, 3 skyhooks

2x Frigates

- sky cannons, 1x self-healing hull

Ironclad

- cannon, self-healing hull

5x Thunderers

- Fumigators

3x Endrinriggers

3x Sky Wardens

Iron Sky Battalion

Lots of charge shenanigans here, courtesy of Barak-Zon. I could dump the pair of skyrigger squads for a Gunhauler, but that would remove some of my combat units. Plan is for Thunderers, Admiral, Khemist, and sky pike Arkonauts to deploy in the Ironclad as a hammer/vanguard unit. Use Arkonaut companies in frigates as support/flexible units & skyriggers as front line support.

Very nice!  I was thinking iron sky squadron for batallions with the extra shot on cannons.  I always seem to roll 1s and 2s when it's d6 damage.

Archived