Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

On 2018-01-19 at 10:11 AM, FractalRain said:

Hello everyone!  I have a unique game coming up this Sun, so I thought I'd get some feedback on my list.  We've been playing a Firestorm league (4 of us total) and thus far, I have been fortunate enough to win all 4 of my games and the next game victory would win me the league (I control all 3 strategic locations, one other location required to forge the scepter, and am fighting at the last location I need to forge the scepter and win the game).  Normally we'd go to 6 games and total Glory Points, but Lady Luck has smiled upon me and accelerated victory!  With that background info in mind, the store manager and I agreed it would be fun to do an atypical game instead of the normal league game and give everyone a chance to "get back" at me.    So my game this Sun will be the other 3 players with 1k pts each vs me with 1500 pts.  I don't know the scenario, but know it'll be them vs me.  I provided some scenarios suggestions, but told the store manager he should decide and not tell us so we couldn't tailor our list to the scenario. 

Here is what I am thinking of taking, to be as defensive as possible, but still pack tons of shooting.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have!

Barak Urbaz with There is No Trading With Some People

Leaders

Beldric Forgehand (140)

Arkanaut Admiral - General

- Command Trait : Doughty Champion  -to help keep him alive and keep everyone immune to Battleshock.

- Artefact : Aethersight Loupe (to help vs spells)

Thorin Brewmeister (140)

Aether-Khemist

Drolen Reiksund (140)

Aether-Khemist

- Artefact : Aethershock Earbuster

Units

Arik's Reavers (240)

20 x Arkanaut Company

- 6 x Light Skyhooks

Sven's Troop (120)

10 x Arkanaut Company

- 3 x Light Skyhooks

Zigli's Explorers (120)

10 x Arkanaut Company

- 3 x Light Skyhooks

Smitty's Lads (360)

9 x Endrinriggers

- 2 x Grapnel Launchers

Nolen's Mercenaries (200)

6 x Skywardens

- 2 x Aethermatic Volley Guns

- 2 x Drill Cannons

Serendipity (40)

1 x Gryph-Hound     -Might help prevent movement shenanigans but also only thing I could get for 40 pts

Total: 1500 /1500

Allies: 0 / 400

Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4

Wounds: 89

Probably gonna take the exact same list for my 1500 tournament... still thinking about the clad but I have to sacrifice 1 arkanaut, 1 admiral and 1 warden, and It feel like a lost. Clad is clearly a good woundbag but army with it look like a lack of firepower...

I see a lot of people equipping warden with heavy weapon. Is close combat a mistake? 

11 hours ago, Sloth said:

Hello everyone as someone looking to get into Overlords, would it be better to go shipless at smaller points or to use like a frigate in the place of an iron clad?

I Questioning the boat presence at 1500pts, so at 1k it’s totally useless imo.  

It’s kinda sad because boat are amazing piece, I want so bad to see an army with at last 4 gunhauler, 2 frigate and an ironclad, but it's totally inefficient. GW should change those rules/point if they want to sell boat :P

+

bonus question : is knight azyros a clever/acceptable choice as an allies in a 2k force?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played a 3 game 1 day tournament on Saturday. Played like a total noob first 2 games, not sure what I was doing, I did learn a few things though.

Game 1 Starstrike vs Khorne Chaos Knights and Varanguard.  Poor first few turns but eventually took off all of his nasty stuff, but was left out of position to get back ahead on points. Loss

Game 2 Total Conquest vs Chaos Dwarfs.  Misjudged the strength of his units and spread out, and so failed to kill much of significance first turn (-1 to hit too) and got smashed off the board by turn 3 when he hit back. Ouch. Loss

Game 3 Duality of Death vs Beastclaw. Stayed back and shot off his heros, but he took out my flying units and my heros were deployed way back to not get snowballed off. Only just scraped the win flying my boat up to get an objective with a 6 for the run, then tabling him in turn 3 so had turns 4 and 5 to run a khemist up and score extra points.

Lessons. I lost a lot to battleshock these games which ive not before, like loads! it was pretty devastating. Mhornar strength is to castle up around the general and focus fire, but that really restricts your ability to get to objectives.

My previous list had 2 units of prosecutors and only 6 wardens, which while useless were very good at being distracting to my opponents. 9 wardens with guns is nice but I had to hold them back as they just got munched in combat, so I actually lost some mobility.  Maybe 2 units of 6 wardens might be better since im not buffing them with Khemists much anyway. Also considering an Admiral instead of 2nd Khemist for battleshock protection.

My list;

Spoiler

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
Additional footnote:  There’s No Trading With Some People 

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
Knight-Azyros (80)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
- 9x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns

Units
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
9 x Skywardens (300)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 3x Drill Cannons
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents
- Allies

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

1 hour ago, Djoblo said:

So, How was Azyros?

Hit and miss.  He is very good as an objective grabber. He can survive due to the 3+ save but his abilities mean he gets targeted pretty sharpish by mortal wounds. His re-roll 1 to hit can be handy but he is dead next turn if he gets that close. The lantern can be amazing if you get it off, but usually requires a double turn, and he is dead if you dont get it (and probably dead if you do, since he cant move after using it). Id still take him, he is a good distraction. 

I'm going to be trying taking multiple units of 3 Skywardens. Granted they can't be buffed by a Khemist, but they are harassment units that are fast. They can pick off heroes, block movement, and grab objectives. 

Also, if going with any foot troops, an Admiral becomes a must for Immunity to Battleshock.

6 minutes ago, Dez said:

I'm going to be trying taking multiple units of 3 Skywardens. Granted they can't be buffed by a Khemist, but they are harassment units that are fast. They can pick off heroes, block movement, and grab objectives. 

Also, if going with any foot troops, an Admiral becomes a must for Immunity to Battleshock.

Yeah i think distraction units are good for KO as you want the opponent to spread its focus and not concentrate on your skyhooks arkanauts.  I think my main error was Inspiring presence on the unit of 30 arkanauts without thinking why. They were never really under serious threat (against the lists i faced) and so if i did fail a battleshock id never lose all of them, so i should have moved it to the riggers or wardens. For different opponents or more foot based list it does make sense to have an admiral.

Good points stato!  In my game yesterday, the Admiral was key - as almost all my units were immune to battleshock the entire game.  But in my scenario, I had to march across the board width-wise and escape while facing 3 other armies.  So it was unusual and I didn't have to worry about splitting up for objectives etc.  But the Admiral is really nice for that immunity to battleshock bubble. 

I tried 6 skywardens with 2 drill cannons and 2 aethermatic volley guns for the first time and they did alright.  The skypikes do help a little when they get stuck in melee and the ranged shooting is nice.  I'll probably stick to 6 for now, but running multiple sets of 3 could be very useful, as you have all stated.

So advice here would be handy as I'm conflicited between 2 Khemists or 1 khemist, 1 admiral.

This is for a team tournament and my friend is taking 136 moonclan grots to act as a meatwall between the enemy and I. I've opted not to take a ship and filled out my list with as many models as I could fit in.  It's set up like so:

1x Khemist -general, prospector, aethershock ear  buster

1x Khemist 

20x company 6 skyhook

10x company 3 skyhook

6x wardens 2 drill cannons

3x riggers 

I can see how the 12 inch bubble for battleshock would be useful here, but it may just be better to keep the second khemist and buff 2 units worth of weapons instead of one.  Thanks in advance.

Edit: forgot to mention I'm running with Barak Zon with the there's no trading with some people footnote.

On 1/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, High Overlord Xenu said:

Oh of course. I posted it a couple pages back but here it is again.

Screenshot_2018-01-24-13-50-07.png.e3e421a50af9851c1e43f69836855693.png

I feel I have a solid grasp of theory. I've played a few test games and have gone 3-1. Just still don't know what to be super worried about and how to counter it.

Big blocks of resilient units. In particular, Nurgle is a tough one. You’re also fragile, so really big hordes (120ish) can be tough to chunk through faster than they get you. You also have to watch a drop in strategy on occasion, and know when to put more units on the board. If you can guarentee you drop first, against most armies you want first turn, first turn is really strong for Kharadrons. If you can’t get your choice, it’s better to drop the ship I find

even when you’re losing on models, it is more than possible to be winning on points. Sometimes it is worth sacrificing those riggers into a unit half their cost if it allows you to burn an objective

So im just getting started in kharadron overlords and I have a big question to ask the community, how do you get your sky vessels and balloon guys to stay on their bases; I've played a few games with a frigate on the games workshop flying stand and the result was it fell off 5 times in a game and broke both its engines. I've bought some 2mm  brass rods but I cant get them to securely fix to the bases, I've tried super glue and have almost given up with the army can anyone offer advice about how to securely fix overlords to their bases, any help would be great.

1 hour ago, DodgyRoller said:

So im just getting started in kharadron overlords and I have a big question to ask the community, how do you get your sky vessels and balloon guys to stay on their bases; I've played a few games with a frigate on the games workshop flying stand and the result was it fell off 5 times in a game and broke both its engines. I've bought some 2mm  brass rods but I cant get them to securely fix to the bases, I've tried super glue and have almost given up with the army can anyone offer advice about how to securely fix overlords to their bases, any help would be great.

my frigates do well with just plastic glue on, but I haven't figured out how to secure my ironclad on it's stand yet (and so usually play with it... well... not on the board). My skywardens pop off their stands pretty much constantly. I've chopped down their flying stems a bit, and that has helped a little, but, honestly, you'll want to either pin or magnetise them most likely

I don't know about the vessels but my Skywardens I just sat there for like 15 minutes each making sure they were secure. The other thing I did was take arcade tokens (I work there so I have them handy) and use them to weight the base so they topple less often and put the stand to the test less often. 

So how are people dealing with a list like this at 1,000 points?:

Nurgle Maggotkin 1000points

Great Unclean One,
General, Bileblade and Doomsday Bell,
Command Trait - Pestilent Breath
Artifact (Daeminic Boon) - Endless Gift - 340

Rotigus - 340

5 Putrid Blight Kings - 160

5 Putrid Bligh Kings - 160

Total = 1,000 points

Kharadron's are getting a Start Collecting! box.

Edrinmaster
Thunderers
Skywardens/Edrinriggers
Gunhauler

Honestly I'm surprised at the lack of an Arknaut Company. I guess since the Kharadron's aren't nearly as unpopular as Fyreslayers a Frigate wasn't as likely, but still a shame. 

18 hours ago, DodgyRoller said:

For the balloon boys, take a knife and scratch a # pattern onto the points of contact between the stand and the figure, then glue it (pressing them together firmly). The extra "grip" given by the cuts should help the glue last.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Hi everyone!! I'm a Kharadron Player since first release (was March? or maybe April, don't remember), and my main issues with our beloved faction is....our boats.

I can play with one Ironclad (we try to avoid the "clown-fiesta delivery" tactic btw) but my Frigate or Gunhauler doesn't seems to be worth their points (using footnote to move something is not enough for their cost), they have some problems between their utility and their dmg ouput, so they sink alot of points to do little to nothing . So, knowing that, I want to know your opinion about what I want to believe will help ships in their dmg output : the Lord-Ordinator.

So, what do you think about that dude?  Or are we going to need to wait until mid/end summer to see what brings for us the new GHB2018 to use Frigates and Gunhaulers?

P.D: Sorry for my english :(

On 29/01/2018 at 2:16 AM, Clan's Cynic said:

Kharadron's are getting a Start Collecting! box.

Edrinmaster
Thunderers
Skywardens/Edrinriggers
Gunhauler

Honestly I'm surprised at the lack of an Arknaut Company. I guess since the Kharadron's aren't nearly as unpopular as Fyreslayers a Frigate wasn't as likely, but still a shame. 

Hello, where did you get that information ?

Archived