Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been thinking about grabbing KO since I do dig steampunk vibes - natural cause of action - I've looked at Battleforce.

But, after browsing this thread for a while I have mixed feelings about it - is it me, or the "big" things in the box are mediocre/obsolete at best (since I rarely see them).

Or should I just go and build a 1000 points army from scratch? If so, what would be the best way to go?

23 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

and what is the best way to play them?

I asked earlier, can someone tell me a competitive 2k points list? It seems to be 1 ironclad + troops but, more specificaly?

Changing disembarking to occur in the movement phase kills any synergies that KO have, all their abilities are triggered rather than passive and as such models need to be on the board.  So the effectiveness of khemist buffs (which are huge in competitive play) and admirals command ability becomes drastically reduced as you are losing a turn in which they could be used. 

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
Aether-Khemist (140)
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
9 x Skywardens (300)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 3x Drill Cannons
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)

Total: 1740 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 94

Thats an example of the clown car, theres still 260 points to spend and thats generally where the lists vary,  I like to flesh out the skywardens to 12 for 4 drill cannons and aethermatic volley guns,  I have also been running 12 riggers but may drop them to 9.

56 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

TY azurious.

Is there a place in this game for the unloved GRUNDSTOK GUNHAULER ? (competitive? or at least not useless? )

Not really? but then I think KO are strong anyway so not going 100% cheese still results in having a chance in almost every game.  I have 200pt of Prosecutor allies so it would be easy to switch in a Gunhauler once i have once painted, should let my Frigate survive a little longer and add a little more amusement to games. I run a Mhornar though so the re-roll to hit benefit would work well with the Frigate and Gunhauler cannon early in the game.

Main issue is 500pt for a Frigate and Gunhauler is still worse than an Ironclad.

Not sure what a list with JUST haulers and no other boats would be?

Working on a hard to deal 1500 pts List, 
First time since the GHB17 and new rules for kharadron (yes i put them appart for a while)

Advice and feedback would be nice, i've got three list : 

#1 Urbaz shoot
List with Urbaz khemist rampage and an "Azyros shoot me quick before i buff"

Spoiler

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
Aether-Khemist (140)
Knight-Azyros (80)
- Allies
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- x Aethermatic Volley Guns
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
3 x Skywardens (100)
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Breath of Morgrim (Barak-Urbaz)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 81

#2 Protectogor Whim
This one is clearly a whim cause i've made "Ogor Paladin Protector proxy" and I just what to make them shine... but just 5 doesn't look enough :\ 
That one is oriented Zilfin and the "Protectogor" defend the backline... I know the Lack of hero is awefull. Help me.

zEIFomb.jpg

Spoiler

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
6 x Endrinriggers (240)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
3 x Skywardens (100)
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)

Total: 1480 / 1500
Allies: 200 / 400
Wounds: 86

#3 true sailor doesn't need a boat
Is it as crazy as it looks? No vessels just a bunch of wound and shooty little midget

Spoiler

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Stickler for the Code
Aether-Khemist (140)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
3 x Skywardens (100)
10 x Paladin Protectors (400)
- Allies

Total: 1500 / 1500
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 94

1 hour ago, stratigo said:

Why paladins? They don’t really fit in the list 

Told it, it's totally a whim.
I made a conversion for fun from Ogor for my Kharadron Sky Corsair project and i just want to see them breaking teeth. Plus paladins look like a big target and could make a great defense near skymidgets? I see they aren't truly competitive but is it a total lost for you?

Got another game tonight.  2k, my Barak Urbaz Overlords verses a Ruinbringer Warband.  Here's my list:

Atherkhemist (general)

10 Arkanauht Fighters with 3 light skyhooks

10 Arkanauht Fighters with 3 skypikes

6 Endrinriggers

6 Endrinriggers

Arkanauht Ironclad with great skycannon

Arkanauht Frigate with heavy skycannon

It's a variation of a list I've having been using with mixed results.  It's 1980pts, and I need to figure out what command trait and artifacts to take.   Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Got another game tonight.  2k, my Barak Urbaz Overlords verses a Ruinbringer Warband.  Here's my list:

Atherkhemist (general)

10 Arkanauht Fighters with 3 skypikes

6 Endrinriggers

6 Endrinriggers

Arkanauht Ironclad with great skycannon

It's a variation of a list I've having been using with mixed results.  It's 1980pts, and I need to figure out what command trait and artifacts to take.   Any thoughts?

A few thoughts for you, but obviously it may not work for your current collection.  I think you could probably drop one frigate and help yourself a bit, since one of the benefits of Barak Urbaz is getting an extra artifact, which you can't do unless you have a second hero!  So, I would drop the second frigate and get a second Khemist or an Admiral.  With the remaining points you could bump one Arknaught squad to 20 models, expand a riggers unit, or drop in skywardens/thunderers for more firepower. 

I would also highly suggest an aethermatic volley gun on the Ironclad - much more reliable and efficient. 

I think Fleetmaster would be a great Command Trait as it would allow you to move a ship after deployment, and can take advantage of your opponent deploying to counter your ship and then you could move it to a more advantageous location.

My favorite artifact is the Aethershock Earbuster.  It has the ability to be quite powerful on units with lower bravery and can still be quite useful against Chaos/Death if you cause lots of casualties due to shooting.  Just make sure you shoot the unit with other units first, before using the hero with the earbuster. 

So I take it this is the place to post lists? I'm fairly new, only have two games under my belt. Have a tournament at the end of the month, wrote this up. Was told on Facebook I'd come up with something called a "clown car" build.

Barak-Zilfen
Footnote: No Trading With Some People
Warlord Trait: Fleetmaster

-Heroes-
Aether-Khemist (General) with Earbuster
Aether-Khemist
Arkanaut Admiral

-Battleline-
10 Arkanauts w/ 3 Skyhooks
10 Arkanauts w/ 3 Skypikes

-Units-
9 Endrinriggers w/ 2 Grapnel Launchers
12 Skywardens w/ 4 Volley Guns & 4 Drill Cannons

-War Machines-
1 Ironclad w/ Volley Cannon, Aetherspheric Endrins

The general strategy is to drop one Company on an objective, hopefully behind cover. Deploy the Ironclad (with the rest of the army embarked) forward to try and bait a counter-deployment, then use Fleetmaster to redeploy it into the atmosphere. With only two drops, I can control first turn priority, and I will almost always be able to go first. Ironclad drops down, deploys screen of Arkanauts and Wardens/Riggers which are buffed by the Khemists. Riggers use Grapnels to all but guarantee a charge on whatever really needs to die, while Wardens soften up targets with fire support. Ironclad provides a mobile fire base to which Riggers can retreat, using a combination of the Barak-Zilfen run and shoot ability and the embarked Admiral to fly (heh) across the board claiming objectives.

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, FractalRain said:

I think Fleetmaster would be a great Command Trait as it would allow you to move a ship after deployment, and can take advantage of your opponent deploying to counter your ship and then you could move it to a more advantageous location.

My favorite artifact is the Aethershock Earbuster.  It has the ability to be quite powerful on units with lower bravery and can still be quite useful against Chaos/Death if you cause lots of casualties due to shooting.  Just make sure you shoot the unit with other units first, before using the hero with the earbuster. 

Yes for multi boat lists Fleetmaster seems almost perfect.  The ability to deploy on both flanks then suddenly switch to one or the other is huge, scenario dependant of course.

Earburster is great on a Khemist, ~10 shots gives a good chance to wound, the 10" range is limiting but that means the enemy are in your face so you will be bringing all your arkanaut pistols into range also, which combines to be potentially quite devastating, or at least enough you might not get entirely slaughtered in the following combat phase :D

1 minute ago, High Overlord Xenu said:

So I take it this is the place to post lists? I'm fairly new, only have two games under my belt. Have a tournament at the end of the month, wrote this up. Was told on Facebook I'd come up with something called a "clown car" build.

The general strategy is to drop one Company on an objective, hopefully behind cover. Deploy the Ironclad (with the rest of the army embarked) forward to try and bait a counter-deployment, then use Fleetmaster to redeploy it into the atmosphere. With only two drops, I can control first turn priority, and I will almost always be able to go first. Ironclad drops down, deploys screen of Arkanauts and Wardens/Riggers which are buffed by the Khemists. Riggers use Grapnels to all but guarantee a charge on whatever really needs to die, while Wardens soften up targets with fire support. Ironclad provides a mobile fire base to which Riggers can retreat, using a combination of the Barak-Zilfen run and shoot ability and the embarked Admiral to fly (heh) across the board claiming objectives.

Thoughts?

Yeah fairly standard build (nothing wrong with that though!). Have a read back through this thread and you will probably find variants or specific advice (or even search clown car ;)).  One thing to consider is you probably wont 'bait' anyone as most people know the trick as its so popular, but it does let you drop the Ironclad first so the opponent does have to show their hand a little before you deploy whatever arkanauts you are not keeping on your boat.  Sometime dropping from the sky is not the best plan either, as depending on the enemy deployment you might have more luck re-positioning to a good spot in your zone then use the once-per-game hero phase move to jump to mid board before dis-embarking, as this lets your units move which the Aether-endrins drop does not.

11 minutes ago, High Overlord Xenu said:

Barak-Zilfen
Footnote: No Trading With Some People
Warlord Trait: Fleetmaster

-Heroes-
Aether-Khemist (General) with Earbuster
Aether-Khemist
Arkanaut Admiral

-Battleline-
10 Arkanauts w/ 3 Skypikes

-Units-
9 Endrinriggers w/ 2 Grapnel Launchers
12 Skywardens w/ 4 Volley Guns & 4 Drill Cannons

-War Machines-
1 Ironclad w/ Volley Cannon, Aetherspheric Endrins

Thoughts?

Your list looks solid and gives you plenty of fire power and combat threat.  Couple of learnings from my own experience would be that in circumstances where you are safe to give your opponant first turn it is nearly always preferable to do so.  Giving yourself the option of a double or even just being able to prevent an oponant from doubling is incredibly strong. 

I had also been underestimating the firepower that riggers bring.  I was so focused on their great cc potential that its only been in my last few games that I have been actively planning  targets for their shooting too.

Best thing though is playing games with them and seeing it all for yourself :)

11 minutes ago, Azurious said:

I had also been underestimating the firepower that riggers bring.  I was so focused on their great cc potential that its only been in my last few games that I have been actively planning  targets for their shooting too.

Yes, their 3 shots apiece are great!  Better than Thunderers aethershot rifles too, which just further makes Endrinriggers a more useful pick in general.

1 minute ago, High Overlord Xenu said:

Yeah, planningand preparing for double turns is something I'm still struggling with, coming from 40k. Also having to work out target priority for armies I'm very unfamiliar with.

I already know that there's a deep striking Fireslayers force that is gonna give me a lot of trouble.

Fireslayers are tough, especially if they can surround your boat early to prevent your mobility.   Try to ignore how many wounds they have when your facing them,  there will generally only be 4 big units on the  board and looking at it that way makes it seem a lot more manageable.

It sounds pass remarkable but the best thing to do is just play games.  Get a feeling for how much damage you output and where on the board you can reach.  Premeasure your threat ranges ect as you deploy and try out the boat in the air and deployed on the board.   Try different target priorities against your regular opponants.  In the end experience beats advice hands down :)

20 hours ago, High Overlord Xenu said:

Yeah, planningand preparing for double turns is something I'm still struggling with, coming from 40k. Also having to work out target priority for armies I'm very unfamiliar with.

I already know that there's a deep striking Fireslayers force that is gonna give me a lot of trouble.

honestly, don't stress about a double turn. Never plan that you'll have one, and there's only so much you can do about your opponent getting one without playing too conservatively and losing on objective due to that. 

I never got to play that 2k game.  But thanks for the advice anyway. ^_^

I was thinking about that idea I suggested the other day too, about moving disembarking to the movement phase and counting that as the units movement.  It would prevent units being buffed during the hero phase though, and that's a problem.  The Admiral wouldn't be able to Invoke the Code, and the Khemist wouldn't be able to use his Aetheric Augmentation ability on them either.   I see now why 40k uses aura bubbles.

Now the first could be off set by a the Code.  Things like Trust Your Commanders, Seek New Prospects or Surrender Is Rarely Profitable.  The latter...I don't know.  I did think of suggesting that Aetheric Augmentation could be a 3" aura bubble but that sounds horribly broken.  I don't think disembarking in the movement phase is viable.

Hello everyone!  I have a unique game coming up this Sun, so I thought I'd get some feedback on my list.  We've been playing a Firestorm league (4 of us total) and thus far, I have been fortunate enough to win all 4 of my games and the next game victory would win me the league (I control all 3 strategic locations, one other location required to forge the scepter, and am fighting at the last location I need to forge the scepter and win the game).  Normally we'd go to 6 games and total Glory Points, but Lady Luck has smiled upon me and accelerated victory!  With that background info in mind, the store manager and I agreed it would be fun to do an atypical game instead of the normal league game and give everyone a chance to "get back" at me.    So my game this Sun will be the other 3 players with 1k pts each vs me with 1500 pts.  I don't know the scenario, but know it'll be them vs me.  I provided some scenarios suggestions, but told the store manager he should decide and not tell us so we couldn't tailor our list to the scenario. 

Here is what I am thinking of taking, to be as defensive as possible, but still pack tons of shooting.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have!

Barak Urbaz with There is No Trading With Some People

Leaders

Beldric Forgehand (140)

Arkanaut Admiral - General

- Command Trait : Doughty Champion  -to help keep him alive and keep everyone immune to Battleshock.

- Artefact : Aethersight Loupe (to help vs spells)

Thorin Brewmeister (140)

Aether-Khemist

Drolen Reiksund (140)

Aether-Khemist

- Artefact : Aethershock Earbuster

Units

Arik's Reavers (240)

20 x Arkanaut Company

- 6 x Light Skyhooks

Sven's Troop (120)

10 x Arkanaut Company

- 3 x Light Skyhooks

Zigli's Explorers (120)

10 x Arkanaut Company

- 3 x Light Skyhooks

Smitty's Lads (360)

9 x Endrinriggers

- 2 x Grapnel Launchers

Nolen's Mercenaries (200)

6 x Skywardens

- 2 x Aethermatic Volley Guns

- 2 x Drill Cannons

Serendipity (40)

1 x Gryph-Hound     -Might help prevent movement shenanigans but also only thing I could get for 40 pts

Total: 1500 /1500

Allies: 0 / 400

Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4

Wounds: 89

8 hours ago, Sloth said:

Hello everyone as someone looking to get into Overlords, would it be better to go shipless at smaller points or to use like a frigate in the place of an iron clad?

Being honest, at 1000, I have never felt a ship pulled it's weight

Archived