Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Orik Jarlson said:

Cheers guys, I'll definatly get the ironclad then. It'll definatly make a great center peice. Is it worth getting the extra character and running the iron sky battalion?

Out of curiosity what do you guys use to transport your army from game to game? 

For my Kharadron, I actually bought the foam trays from Battle Foam and they work nicely:  http://us.battlefoam.com/

for the grapnel launcher sorry this may be a dumb question but the rules state i can attach it to a terrain peice or a unit with 10 wounds. so let say i want to use it on a unit of 20 scaven the unit has 20 models so 20 wounds can i latch on to a unit like that? or does it have to be a single model with 10 wounds?

30 minutes ago, Bimli said:

for the grapnel launcher sorry this may be a dumb question but the rules state i can attach it to a terrain peice or a unit with 10 wounds. so let say i want to use it on a unit of 20 scaven the unit has 20 models so 20 wounds can i latch on to a unit like that? or does it have to be a single model with 10 wounds?

The rule states a unit with more than a wound characteristic of 10 or more, but a wound characteristic is per model not unit.  Think of it as needing to a attach to something solid, a scrawny skaven is not going to give much to grab onto  :D

28 minutes ago, stato said:

The rule states a unit with more than a wound characteristic of 10 or more, but a wound characteristic is per model not unit.  Think of it as needing to a attach to something solid, a scrawny skaven is not going to give much to grab onto  :D

It's a great way to finish off those nasty Beastclaw Raiders!

15 hours ago, FractalRain said:

Yes, the frigate is quite expensive for what it does, but it has proved useful.  Wish it was cheaper though.

Yes they never really seems to do much actual damage. But it still proves a lot of worth IMO.

• It has the ability to turn 4 or 5 drops into a single drop, which in battalions costs ~100pt.
  • It seems to attract a lot of attention above its actual threat level, which means your more destructive units are not being targeted
  • As a Behemoth it provides an objective holder tougher than our heros for some missions
  • Its got decent movement 
  • It has a big base which provides a great screen to block charges

Sure all of those points can be done by an ironclad (and done better) but the Frigate is 160pt cheaper so lets you be a bit more flexible if you want to try something different with your troops. Id not have a Kharadron list without a boat.

In the end Kharadron are strong anyway so i dont see choosing a frigate as a mistake that will make you loose all your games. If you are gunning for 1st place in tournaments then yeah there are set builds to consider, but those lists also require the skill to run them perfectly so I just run a frigate in my own list and play happy in the fact that im still on a level field with the strong factions.

Ahoy!  I'm making my first real post here! 

I do find Frigates a bit overpriced, but I'm pretty happy with their overall performance when I take them.   They don't dish out that much damage but they can certainly take it.  It's their transport capacity, movement range and the assistance with deployment that makes them useful.  

If I could make a suggestion, if the Frigate (and indeed the Ironclad) had their Transport Capacity increased by 5 I'd be completely happy with them.  With that, an Ironclad could actually carry a full sized Arkanauht Company.

Oh, and Skywardens should be Battleline troops.  Even if it means bumping their price back up to 120pts.  Right now, they simply cannot compete with Endrinriggers at all.  They've sadly disappeared from all Overlord lists I've seen.  Making them battleline would give them a realpurpose, and help us out a little bit overall.  Right now, we suffer in smaller games because a lot of our stuff is pretty expensive.  We are forced to take Arkanauht Companies because they're our only battleline unit.  And personally, I find that Companies require a ship to reach their full potential.   And that gets expensive pretty quickly.  400pts for a small company and a frigate verses 200-240pts for a unit of 6 skywardens?  In a smaller game I'd take the latter.

I feel like every army should have at least two battle line units anyway.

Welcome, thanks for the insightful first post :)

If they made Skywardens battleline, there would only be 1 drop armies. I'm perfectly ok with that :) I think we could use the increased transport capacity too, but both might just push KO over the line of insanity. 

On 12/13/2017 at 3:19 PM, Dez said:

Welcome, thanks for the insightful first post :)

If they made Skywardens battleline, there would only be 1 drop armies. I'm perfectly ok with that :) I think we could use the increased transport capacity too, but both might just push KO over the line of insanity. 

Thanks for the welcome. :)

For a compromise, only the Ironclad could have its transport capacity increased.  So it can now carry a full sized Arkanauht Company, but Frigates are still just small unit transports.  If Skywardens became battleline then the Frigates wouldn't really need a points decrease or a transport capacity increase.

9 hours ago, stratigo said:

thunderers should be KO battleline

I thought about that too.  It might make ordinary Arkanauhts a bit redundant though.  Skywardens are like a cavalry unit and so are different enough not to step on their toes.  Well, not too much at any rate. xD

What's the opinions on the Skyports?  Barrak Mhornar is the best obviously.  Barak Urbaz and Barak Zilfin are probably a joint close second and Barak Thryng is pretty good too.  Barak Zon is probably the worst.  What about Barak Nar?

Also, is just me or is it not worth making up your own skyport?   The named ones have custom ports completely beat, with two footnotes (one unique), unique artifacts and command traits, and special abilities on top of these to boot.

For a compromise, only the Ironclad could have its transport capacity increased.  So it can now carry a full sized Arkanauht Company, but Frigates are still just small unit transports.  If Skywardens became battleline then the Frigates wouldn't really need a points decrease or a transport capacity increase.

The capacity would need to double for that, I highly doubt that will happen.

Even if Thunderers were battleline I would take company over them, the skyhooks are very good. I like Urbaz personally and dont really see a reason to run a custom skyport, the only thing I dont like about a lot of the pre-made ones is the Articles are fairly poor but its not the end of the world.

6 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

The capacity would need to double for that, I highly doubt that will happen.

Even if Thunderers were battleline I would take company over them, the skyhooks are very good. I like Urbaz personally and dont really see a reason to run a custom skyport, the only thing I dont like about a lot of the pre-made ones is the Articles are fairly poor but its not the end of the world.

Whoops, I didn't realize they could go up to 40!  I should have paid more attention. xD

20 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I thought about that too.  It might make ordinary Arkanauhts a bit redundant though.  Skywardens are like a cavalry unit and so are different enough not to step on their toes.  Well, not too much at any rate. xD

What's the opinions on the Skyports?  Barrak Mhornar is the best obviously.  Barak Urbaz and Barak Zilfin are probably a joint close second and Barak Thryng is pretty good too.  Barak Zon is probably the worst.  What about Barak Nar?

Also, is just me or is it not worth making up your own skyport?   The named ones have custom ports completely beat, with two footnotes (one unique), unique artifacts and command traits, and special abilities on top of these to boot.

I think the best Barak depends on army composition. If I'm taking an Ironclad or more Ships plus any Balloon Boyz, Zilfin is the best by far because of the power of deployment. If my list is heavy foot troops, Urbaz is the best closely followed by Mhornar (who I think is the coolest!). So in that regard, army structure is important in comparison to worth.

The rest are ok. Barak-Nar goes up in worth if you are going up against Tzeentch and you are building towards it, though it's a one trick pony (note there are a lot of those Tzeentch and magic heavy armies out there). The immune to battleshock is nice because you can choose your general (ie any hero not just the Admiral) though you have to be within 3". 

Barak-Zon...could be neat and perhaps just missed the mark on what it was trying to do. Perhaps here if Skywardens were Battleline it would be way better. Also if they could take a faster/harder hitting hero. We need Endrinmasters with Balloonz!

Barak-Thryng is nice, the grudge is powerful. This would be a cool one to have Thunderers be Battleline for.

As a player of Zon my thoughts go like this:  Definitely benefits from faster ships and lots of balloons.  This skyport is just too awkward at times because its the exact opposite of what the KO are about. Which in my opinion is trying to be a melee army when it's clearly more suited to shoot more.

The heroes rerolling ones on heroes and monsters is ok I guess, but it I'll be damned if a Khemist is going to engage in fisticuffs with another hero. 

Show them your steel is awesome for popping balloons off a frigate and charging.  If you fail move a little closer and do it again in the same turn! Added with the buff to reroll 1s on the charge and your athermatic saws can just buzz away.

Yeah I see it probably wasn't the best skyport, but the color scheme is sharp and it's a lot of fun to play.  By the way arkanaut cutters should have rend 1. xD

12 minutes ago, Mikester1487 said:

Show them your steel is awesome for popping balloons off a frigate and charging.  If you fail move a little closer and do it again in the same turn! 

The problem I have with that is the balloon units have a movement higher than the average charge!  So unless you are worried about rolling a double 1 it doesnt help hardly at all. The only reason I can think is if you needed to be in combat to shoot that extra 3" past the unit your charging.

I think it should have been charge from the skyvessel, i.e. measure charge from the skyvessel base. So getting around the difficulty of disembarking (3" away from enemy models) when your boat is surrounded.  It would be very thematic with all the embarked units leaping off the boat into the scrum of enemy attacking it, and totally suited to Barak-Zon with their keen affinity with their boats.

Hi guys, I'm planning on coming back to warhammer after at least 16 years out. I've always checked in from time to time to see what's going on in the world but only now with AoS have I decided to pick up the brush again.

Its the Overlords who have sold it to me. The first time I saw them I actually hated them but the more I read about them the more I started to fall in love. I toyed with the ideas of Death because there's a variety of different models to paint, or Vanguard SC but its just got to be Kharadron.

I'm thinking a group who take on Monster Hunting contracts to make ends meet. I could put some extra details onto my boats like nets draped over the sides and monster head trophies.

I'd imagine it would be more about Thunderers, Wardens and Gunhaulers which seem to be very rarely used. Has anyone had good experiences with Gunhaulers or know of ways to get the best out of them?

winning isn't important to me really, an army that stands out from the crowd and fits a theme is what I'd be after. I've never been one to go the most optimal route.

9 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

Hi guys, I'm planning on coming back to warhammer after at least 16 years out. I've always checked in from time to time to see what's going on in the world but only now with AoS have I decided to pick up the brush again.

Its the Overlords who have sold it to me. The first time I saw them I actually hated them but the more I read about them the more I started to fall in love. I toyed with the ideas of Death because there's a variety of different models to paint, or Vanguard SC but its just got to be Kharadron.

I'm thinking a group who take on Monster Hunting contracts to make ends meet. I could put some extra details onto my boats like nets draped over the sides and monster head trophies.

I'd imagine it would be more about Thunderers, Wardens and Gunhaulers which seem to be very rarely used. Has anyone had good experiences with Gunhaulers or know of ways to get the best out of them?

winning isn't important to me really, an army that stands out from the crowd and fits a theme is what I'd be after. I've never been one to go the most optimal route.

The conversion and hobby opportunities are pretty immense with KO. You could even go long with Adeptus Mechanicus bits as @Age of The Erstwood has done so well with his Clan Skryre.  @Thomas Lyons has nailed the Fyreslayer-KO fusion models. Even yesterday I saw a Clan Skryre Ironclad. I still want my Squig Zeppelins (the Squig providing buoyancy naturally).

Archived