Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

26 minutes ago, J.J said:

Looking at probing the local tournament scene next year using Kharadron, starting off with a 1500 point list.

List #1

Double Urbaz Khemist seems like a really neat combination, with the ability to buff up the rigger saws, all 6 light skyhooks and the thunderer rifles in the same turn. I'd likely use the Frigate to try and run interference and use the volley gun Arkanauts to cap objectives.

List #2

Seems to me (from reading this site/thread) that the Zilfin drop is still really popular. Skinks and one Arkanaut squad would start on the table with the rest diving in on the Ironclad wherever I need them. Skinks were more or less just added because I had 60 points spare and I have a Seraphon collection already :)

Unfortunately list #2 is illegal as Kharadron dont have skinks as allies, or at least you cant do that and keep Kharadron Allegiance.

List #1 looks good though. Urbaz at 1500pt would be pretty nasty as you could really hurt opponent key units.

TBH List #2 is probably still just as good even with a 60pt float for the Triumph roll. Or if you wanted to spend it a gryph hound to hang around your objective units.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, stato said:

Unfortunately list #2 is illegal as Kharadron dont have skinks as allies, or at least you cant do that and keep Kharadron Allegiance.

List #1 looks good though. Urbaz at 1500pt would be pretty nasty as you could really hurt opponent key units.

Ack, for some reason I keep getting it in my head that you can take anyone in from your grand allegiance! Thank you for pointing that out :) 

22 minutes ago, J.J said:

Ack, for some reason I keep getting it in my head that you can take anyone in from your grand allegiance! Thank you for pointing that out :) 

No worries, its easy to forget.  Whatever you choose though Kharadrons are a hoot to play (and very strong) if you have boats and balloons so just go with what you fancy.  I like the frigate models so use those (though still need to build my 2nd).

6 minutes ago, stato said:

No worries, its easy to forget.  Whatever you choose though Kharadrons are a hoot to play (and very strong) if you have boats and balloons so just go with what you fancy.  I like the frigate models so use those (though still need to build my 2nd).

I was drawn to them as they are a stark contrast to the Seraphon I have, I wanted something a bit dark, grimy and metallic. Painting these guys up to be rusty sky pirates is going to be a lot of fun :)

Haha I didn't even realize you couldn't take Lizardmen either, mainly because I have no interest :) I was going to suggest a Gryph Hound too, their Warning Call or whatever their special ability is called can be murder on deep striking opponents.

has anyone tried skyhooks on riggers im thinking ziflin a unit of 9 riggers with skyhooks plus kehmist will allow easy charges from a good distance and damahe to boot.

unless im incorrect if a skyhook damages a unit i get d6 extra distance so if 6 shots go off (khemist) in a unit of 9 riggers with 3 skyhooks and potentially 2 of them wound a unit then i would be able to move 2d6 right?

give riggers more flexability haveing good long range shooting while able to make me move more

6 hours ago, Bimli said:

has anyone tried skyhooks on riggers im thinking ziflin a unit of 9 riggers with skyhooks plus kehmist will allow easy charges from a good distance and damahe to boot.

unless im incorrect if a skyhook damages a unit i get d6 extra distance so if 6 shots go off (khemist) in a unit of 9 riggers with 3 skyhooks and potentially 2 of them wound a unit then i would be able to move 2d6 right?

give riggers more flexability haveing good long range shooting while able to make me move more

No.  Here is the new wording from the FAQ:

‘After all attacks for this unit are completed, if any wounds in icted by this unit’s Skyhook were allocated to an enemy unit and not negated, you can move this unit D6", as long as it ends the move closer to one of the enemy units that the wounds in icted by the Skyhook were allocated to.’ 

So you get d6 movement (total) towards one of the enemy units you damage, no matter how many of those hooks hit.  Now, this might be a nice alternative in that deepstrike to the grapples, as it gives you some additional damage as well.  You'll average 3", meaning you'll have 6" charges on those riggers.  Those aren't terrible odds.  I'll need to think on it some more.  I don't hate the idea.

10 hours ago, stratigo said:

the zilfin list rarely need the warning call though.

I've updated my original post, replaced the Skinks with some Aetherwings as lets me start with another unit on the board that are fast. They're either going to draw away some fire or become a pest later in the game.

12 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

No.  Here is the new wording from the FAQ:

‘After all attacks for this unit are completed, if any wounds in icted by this unit’s Skyhook were allocated to an enemy unit and not negated, you can move this unit D6", as long as it ends the move closer to one of the enemy units that the wounds in icted by the Skyhook were allocated to.’ 

So you get d6 movement (total) towards one of the enemy units you damage, no matter how many of those hooks hit.  Now, this might be a nice alternative in that deepstrike to the grapples, as it gives you some additional damage as well.  You'll average 3", meaning you'll have 6" charges on those riggers.  Those aren't terrible odds.  I'll need to think on it some more.  I don't hate the idea.

darn i didnt see that in the faq. i know using the grapnel launcher is the way to go for movement but it basically makes 1 rigger pretty weak and that sucks considering they are close combat beasts. at least with the hooks they can still do damage even if its not in cc

21 hours ago, stratigo said:

the zilfin list rarely need the warning call though.

Depends on how many boats. I took several in my list with a unit of 40 Arkanaut Company. Nice potential bit of out of sequence shooting.

8 hours ago, Dez said:

Depends on how many boats. I took several in my list with a unit of 40 Arkanaut Company. Nice potential bit of out of sequence shooting.

Eh. The one boat is just so efficient though. Maybe two boats. But I wouldn't go THREE boats unless I was just goofing around

So, I am just about to get into AoS again after being away almost the whole year. Played maybe three games with my Sylvaneth. But the thing is that I just fell in love with the Kharadron overlords when they were released but also fell out of love with the game. I want to start an army but don't want to buy anything I wont use. Also I am going for a themed army that will include some seraphon models (not in the army,  on bases, the ships etc) so it is going get a bit more expensive. What should I buy?  And what skyport is the beezneez these days?  Thank you :)

Hi everyone, I'm looking at finally starting up Kharadron Overlords thanks to the awesome value of the Christmas box set. At this stage the plan is to get another two Arkanaut Company, an Aether-Khemist and bulk up the Endrinriggers squad size to 9.  After that I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a Ironclad or a second frigate so I can run an Iron Sky squadron? 

4 hours ago, Orik Jarlson said:

Hi everyone, I'm looking at finally starting up Kharadron Overlords thanks to the awesome value of the Christmas box set. At this stage the plan is to get another two Arkanaut Company, an Aether-Khemist and bulk up the Endrinriggers squad size to 9.  After that I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a Ironclad or a second frigate so I can run an Iron Sky squadron? 

Pretty much the exact route I've taken. I'd personally grab the Ironclad, seems amazing for the points and compliments a lot of lists nicely, especially if you were thinking of going Zilfin.

6 hours ago, Mikester1487 said:

Excellent, you guys are talking about ironclads.  At the event I went to this past Saturday I couldn't get mine to sit properly on its stand.  I'm curious as to how you guys get the dumb thing to sit on that peg they give.

Easiest I have found to fix this is to put an inch or so long pin (thin Panel pin for example with the head cut off) from the top of the peg through the bottom of the Ship. I haven't glues the ship onto it of course and it works quite well without having to use alternative fixings.

Archived