Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tailessine said:

Anyone else sad that in an airborne race with ships as their main USP, hardly anyone has a ship in their list? Is there a list that is at least semi-competitive where there are enough ships for all the infantry?

Id say lists without any ships are rare at 2000pt. Most run 1 ironclad, some run 1 frigate, 1 person even ran 3 ironclads!  ...see previous comments in this thread...

On 10/12/2017 at 7:49 AM, wanderingrogue said:

Simon at the finals had 3!!

He came 15th.....

I've started playing 1k games with my colleagues at work, currently I'm facing armies of Stormcasts, Nighthaunts Orcs and maybe Skavens, played 2 games lost both so I was looking for some advice

My first game was a 700 points vs stormcast so I'll skip it for now  (let me just say for fun I took an ironclad, didn't go well :P), the 2nd one I just came from I got tabled turn 2 by the ironjawz

My list was

Zilfin skyport (there's no trading with some people extra rule)

aetherkhemist with earbuster and fleetmaster trait
frigate with aetherspheric endrins
9x endrinriggers 2x with grapnels
2x 10 arkanauts with 3 light skyhooks

total 1020

I admit I wanted to see if my clown car could snipe a few key pieces of the army (he had mega boss, warchanter, weirdnob, 5 brutes, 10 ardboyz, 3 gore gruntas basically 1 sc box and 1 skirmish warband box)

It didn't go well as I got charged and the megaboss giving +2 attack to all of his army meant I got mowed down.

Admittedly in my group there's a recurring meme that my rolls are abysmal ( 9 endrinriggers only 1 wound done in shooting and combat with buff on saws from khemist, most failed on hit-wounds a couple saved) but I still think I could improve somehow.

Tips on the army at least since you can't see my deployment and battle choices? Am I doing something wrong at 1k points?

Next game is probably in 2 weeks vs nighthaunts near 1300 points.

Hello Folks,

I am currently looking into getting into a KO army. I figured I'd ask my questions here instead of opening a new thread for this.

I have three different army lists and would like to get your opinion on all of them if possible :)

What artifacts etc would you chose? Would you go for a mix of Endrinriggers and Skywardens, or only take Endrinriggers? Would you take Brokk or an Admiral? Any insight is much appreciated, thank you :)

1: Barak-Urbaz sky port

Aether-Khemist (140)

Aether-Khemist (140)

Aether-Khemist (140) 

10 x Arkanaut Company (120)

9 x Endrinriggers (360)

6 x Skywardens (200)
6 x Skywardens (200)
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)

2:Barak-Urbaz sky port

Aether-Khemist (140)

Aether-Khemist (140)

Aether-Khemist (140)

Brokk Grungsson (300) 

6 x Endrinriggers (240)

6 x Endrinriggers (240)

Arkanaut Ironclad (440)

3:Barak-Urbaz sky port

Aether-Khemist (140)

Aether-Khemist (140)

Brokk Grungsson (300)

Arkanaut Admiral (140) 

6 x Endrinriggers (240)

6 x Endrinriggers (240)

Arkanaut Ironclad (440)

1 hour ago, Bimli said:

i read some where that you dont need the colour scheme of a skyport but can still use its rules is this correct camt seem to find this via faq?

Yes it was a recent FAQ tied to the release of Firestorm campaign pack.  You can paint your own scheme and use any skyport rules or custom port, if you use a skyport scheme you cant use another port rules (but can still create your own custom).

5 hours ago, stato said:

Yes it was a recent FAQ tied to the release of Firestorm campaign pack.  You can paint your own scheme and use any skyport rules or custom port, if you use a skyport scheme you cant use another port rules (but can still create your own custom).

Can you quote the FAQ please? can't see where you saw that.

Seems like everyone prefers the Ironclad over Frigates. Why is that?

Feels to me like 2 frigates would give you a lot a lot of flexibility. I was thinking about doing a Zilfin list with two Frigates that each have one unit of Arkanauts, 6 or 9 Endrinriggers, and a Khemist. One could take advantage of the hero phase move to get a first turn Endrinrigger charge and one could deploy in the clouds and come down when I want.

10 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Seems like everyone prefers the Ironclad over Frigates. Why is that?

Feels to me like 2 frigates would give you a lot a lot of flexibility. I was thinking about doing a Zilfin list with two Frigates that each have one unit of Arkanauts, 6 or 9 Endrinriggers, and a Khemist. One could take advantage of the hero phase move to get a first turn Endrinrigger charge and one could deploy in the clouds and come down when I want.

Just did that, and it worked pretty well,  I managed to get an Admiral in the ground based frigate and managed to move him in between the hero phase move, 3 inch disembark and 4 inch move he got in for a pretty easy charge and then that gave the nice plus 1 to charge buff to everyone in 18 on the alpha strike turn.  Frigates weren't good for too much beyond sitting on objectives though. 

How do you guys tend to run your riggers? I'm seeing a lot of people either running 2 or 3 grapnels but not much else. I was considering running 2 grapnels and a drill cannon to make them a bit more flexible, while still making them a good target for the Khemist buff. Down the line I'd like 9 Skywardens with drill cannons as another potential Khemist target.

1 minute ago, J.J said:

How do you guys tend to run your riggers? I'm seeing a lot of people either running 2 or 3 grapnels but not much else. I was considering running 2 grapnels and a drill cannon to make them a bit more flexible, while still making them a good target for the Khemist buff. Down the line I'd like 9 Skywardens with drill cannons as another potential Khemist target.

For what it’s worth I did that, but I recently broke the drillbit of and rebuilt it as a grapple hook; it just wasn’t worth the loss of a saw or grapple to me in the end.  For Skywardens I think that’s a great idea. 

23 hours ago, J.J said:

For my last three games, ranging from 1300-1500 pts, I've run 6 riggers with one grapple.  Granted, the one time I tried to use the grapple, it failed.  When I go up to 9 riggers, I plan to have 2 grapples.  I'm playing with the Barak-Urbaz rules right now, so the riggers hang out on a frigate, with thunderers, and a Khemist.  So when they all debark, I buff the riggers rivet guns and saws (or sometimes thunderer rifles and rigger saws, depending on how many thunderers I bring).  It has been working well for me so far.  Here is a sample list for my 1500 pt game:

Barak-Urbaz and used There is No Trading With Some People as my extra clause.

Admiral with Gattlesson's Endless Repeater  and Fleetmaster (to redeploy the frigate if I want) - on foot to help arknaughts

Khemist - on foot to buff arknaughts

Khemist with the Aethershock Earbuster - in frigate

3 x 10 arknaughts, each with 3 skyhooks - all on foot

10 thunderers, one with fumigator, but rest with aethershot rifles - in frigate

1 frigate with sky cannon and The Last Word

6 endrinriggers - one with grapple

I've been playing versions of this list in our Firestorm campaign and it has been performing well so far.  Occasionally I've had to drop the Admiral when using less points, but that allowed me to try out a Knight-Azyros and that was fun.  These series of games are the first time I've had two Khemists in the army and I have to say, it has made a world of a difference for me.  Finally getting enough longer-range firepower and melee to win my games.!

You need to be using Grapnel Launchers as part of your strategy, and you need to be sure they work. 3 Grapnels in a unit of 9 practically guarantees that your Grapnel Launcher will go off on a 4+. The utility of these is worth the loss of saws.

Endrinriggers are more than likely going to die, that is a fact of life in the game. You point them at something you want dead, and it dies. What you choose (target priority) is all important. You need to be able to pinpoint the lynchpin of your opponents army, and destroy it. The Grapnel will let you reach that target. 

I've had them bounce all over the board, killing everything they touch while grabbing objectives. I've surprised people in tournaments while they watch their Great Unclean One and Thundertusks die in a single charge. Bloodbound Characters hiding behind buildings dead, Shamans on Discs way off in the woods destroyed. Endrinriggers are magic, and the Grapnels make them.

22 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Hey folks, does anyone who bought the new Sky-Fleet Battleforce know what the warscroll battalion included in it does, and if it has matched play points?

(yes, this may well impact my decision to buy it, sad but very true :()

No points for it as per the usual battleforce battalions.  The battalion rule is +1 to hit for skyvessels when within 6" of the Admiral.

i havnt bought it as i already have 2 frigates, otherwise I would have.  Its not a great box unless you just want to play fluffy lists, obviously a fluffy kharadron list still hits hard though, and will give fun/balanced games when you arnt playing against top tier builds.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:31 PM, heywoah_twitch said:

Where is everyone getting all their light skyhooks from? My arkanaut company came with a measly one in the box, but the option of 3. Which means if I want three minimum units outfitted properly I need an extra six! Obviously every bits site and ebay are out of stock and no one locally has any (nor should they, anyone building KO would want extra as well, not have extra left over). Is there a secret site you get yours at? Are you rich and just don't gaf and got 9 boxes to make 3 units? Did you get preposterously lucky on a local FB group?

So I had one or two from the skywardens boxes.  Then I started drilling holes in volleyguns and attaching a skyhook head.  For my last few I used a grapnel launcher and a thunderer rifle.

All of them look pretty cool as a skyhook too.  So for me I only took from other KO kits I had.

Looking at probing the local tournament scene next year using Kharadron, starting off with a 1500 point list.

List #1

image.png.5335b1fd60843d2f67c91beae72f399e.png

Double Urbaz Khemist seems like a really neat combination, with the ability to buff up the rigger saws, all 6 light skyhooks and the thunderer rifles in the same turn. I'd likely use the Frigate to try and run interference and use the volley gun Arkanauts to cap objectives.

List #2

EDIT: Fixed!

image.png.b0af909749c8c859b519119526158733.png

(Got rid of those pesky, illegal skinks). Zilfin Ironclad drop still seems real popular on here and I can kinda see why. One light skyhook squad and the aetherwings would start on the board and the Ironclad would start in orbit, ready to drop on an objective.

I like list 2 better. 2 things to consider in regards to your General's Command Trait: Doughty Champion will help him survive, and you'll need him on the board for Immune to Battleshock. The other one to consider is Fleetmaster, which will allow you to deploy and trick your opponent. So you put down your Ironclad on one end of the table, then at the end of deployment you remove the Ironclad to set it up again...in the Aethersphere! You can now drop it where you really want it, and hopefully you've lured your opponent away from where you had planned to be.

Archived