Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

43 minutes ago, wanderingrogue said:

Hey. The last word was an experiment. I was never using the endrins as i got more milage out the hero move for my alpha.

However people did start deploying differently knowing i couldnt drop in.  Plus also the changeling interaction (they kinda clash so you roll off as to who deploys/redeploys 1st) means that i can always get the drop on that little ****** if i need to with the endrins

So i went back to the endrins. 

Also just deploying off table now is easier. Makes people make mistakes "so you cant come with in 9 right" lots of measuring... then redeploy on table in a sweet spot and take all thier characters off...

so, I was wandering why skywardens instead of more endrinriggers? Since the drill cannon was nerfed, I feel they sturggle for a place

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wanderingrogue said:

Hey guys. Gary here. 

The simple answer to the grapnel thing is correct, its a consistancy thing. The rigger charge HAS to go off. 75% chance of going off just isnt good enough odds :)

True.  I took 9 riggers with 2 grapnels and in 2 games they both failed to catch which meant the unit was in a position to get wiped on the opponents turn.  Of course you could run less grapnels and only position the unit in safe places (having the grapnel charge as a nice side bonus if it goes off) but for me that misses much of the fun (and competitiveness if you are so inclined) you can have with KO.

My list for B&G (ive posted it on here before) was built for fun, and i played it recklessly.  I only won 2 games of the 6 but most games I probably had the advantage if id sat back and just gunlined. Id not played against most of the factions i faced, and certainly not in the forms being used, so it was just a fun learning experience.

47 minutes ago, stratigo said:

so, I was wandering why skywardens instead of more endrinriggers? Since the drill cannon was nerfed, I feel they sturggle for a place

thier cheaper by 60 pts per 9 man unit. so fit. plus the drill cannons are fine....worse now sure..... but "worse" doesnt mean "bad".

8 hours ago, wanderingrogue said:

thier cheaper by 60 pts per 9 man unit. so fit. plus the drill cannons are fine....worse now sure..... but "worse" doesnt mean "bad".

I'd experimented with the Skywardens and Drill Cannons a bit and found them to be nice. I like the minimum unit geared towards shooting, they have so much utility. They can sit on objectives, pick off stray heroes/warmachines, get in the way of movement/charges, last minute objective grab...for 100 points I like them GO HAWKMEN!

15 hours ago, wanderingrogue said:

Hey. The last word was an experiment. I was never using the endrins as i got more milage out the hero move for my alpha.

However people did start deploying differently knowing i couldnt drop in.  Plus also the changeling interaction (they kinda clash so you roll off as to who deploys/redeploys 1st) means that i can always get the drop on that little ****** if i need to with the endrins

So i went back to the endrins. 

Also just deploying off table now is easier. Makes people make mistakes "so you cant come with in 9 right" lots of measuring... then redeploy on table in a sweet spot and take all thier characters off...

So did you all play it that Fleetmaster let you redeploy from off table onto the table somewhere?  I wasn't sure if it worked that way.

8 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

So did you all play it that Fleetmaster let you redeploy from off table onto the table somewhere?  I wasn't sure if it worked that way.

Good question.  Fleetmaster allow me to do that? O.o

[edit]

Aetherspheric Endrins - at the beginning of any of your hero phase [...] set it up on the battlefield more than 9" from the enemy

Fleetmaster - Once both armies are set up but before first battle round you can remove friendly skyvessel that was set up on the battlefield and set it up again according to the battlepln's rules.

Yea. Its "set up" in the air. Fleetmaster lets you "set it up again"..

So basically put it in the air or on the ground up to you. Once you know where the enemy is then set it up again on table somewhere else or put it in the air..

..... only a few things mess with that. Changeling is one of em

Hey Guys,

I have a 1500pt little tourney coming up.  It's more fun oriented but I would like to do somewhat well.  I wanted everyone's take on my list I'm planning out.

Skyport - Barak Zilfin (Debating between them or Mhornar)

Extra Footnote - There's Just No Trading With Some People

Admiral

Aether-Khemist

Navigator

10x Arkanauts with 3 Skyhooks

10x Arkanauts with 3 Skyhooks

10x Arkanauts with 3 Volley Guns

10x Grundstock Thunderers with Aethercarbines

3x Endrinriggers with Saws

IronClad with VolleyGun and Endrins for the Relic

Not sure on a standard relic for my Admiral or Khemist off hand.  I'd run more Balloon Boys, but I currently only have 3 as they're kind of expensive.

The basic idea is put the characters, Thunderers, Volleygunners, and Riggers on the IronClad and deep strike it in.  Ends up being a 3 drop list overall.

I thought about swapping the Navigator out for a second Khemist but then I'd have to drop something else in it's place as the Khemist is 40 points more.  The initial thought seems to always be to drop the Grundstocks down to 5 instead of 10, but those 30 Aethercarbine shots are tasty with a khemist.

I run Mhornar, and I think it could fit your list quite well.

Re-roll to hit a nominated target is great (if there is one worthy all that focus fire).  This could be your thunderers and skyhook units in a block.  The run and shoot first turn means you can likely get those thunderers in range first turn too. The boat can then dash off to an objective, re-rolling its run from the Nav. You could look to make the Khemist the general and let the admiral run around in the boat for that run-shoot the whole game, endriggers tagging along for anti-melee threat and also the healing on the boat.  Khemist is not as good as admiral but would still have inspiring presence ability to put on the thunderers.

So, with the changes to Thunderers, what are your thoughts on how they should be played now, and what are their potential uses? 

I was always a fan of mobile Cannon crews for removing high wound count models.  Can they still do this well?

Help me feel better about my stash of Thunderers given the new GHB.

12 hours ago, Zahaladune said:

So, with the changes to Thunderers, what are your thoughts on how they should be played now, and what are their potential uses? 

I was always a fan of mobile Cannon crews for removing high wound count models.  Can they still do this well?

Help me feel better about my stash of Thunderers given the new GHB.

Great question and I'm still testing them out, so don't have a lot of suggestions yet.  I've tried a unit of 5 with all the special weapons and it can be hit or miss.  The Fumigator reducing attacks is nice and you can sometimes use the Thunderers as a stop-gap - get them out there and if they aren't attacked first, they can even activate and move away. 

I also see the benefit of running them all with aetherrifles, as the Khemist can only but a single weapon, so having them all with the same weapon could be highly useful, especially with an 18" range.  So trying for fewer shots with higher rend and wounds/shot or trying to kill with overwhelming firepower......not sure which way to go yet, but I'm thinking of running a unit of 10 with 9 aetherrifles and 1 fumigator (to reduce incoming attacks).

I'll be trying out the riflemen Thunderers this weekend on Sylvaneth and will let ya know how I fare.

I want to see if they can still be useful stacked into a Frigate and run as a kind of crisis response unit to drop Leaders and Monsters.  If they have to be up close and personal, they need a ship.  They could be useful in Zilfin since they have aether deployment, but I want to run Mhornar for the reroll in shooting near Leader Khemist.

I have  friend that plays Kharadon. And he uses Ironclads frequently, he claims that when he uses the ability “Aetheric Navigation” that he can just move d3 each hero phase because there is a navigator on his Ironclad(as per the website under the description; when you go to buy it). To me the wording seems that you need to actually have the hero itself “Aetheric Navigator” on the battlefield. What is everyone else’s take on it?

Aetheric Navigation: If there is a friendly Aetheric Navigator visible to it, an Arkanaut Ironclad can move an extra D3" in the movement phase.

Visible to it, not 'within X of it'. So unfortunately it doesn't work. 

1 hour ago, shaywarren18 said:

I have  friend that plays Kharadon. And he uses Ironclads frequently, he claims that when he uses the ability “Aetheric Navigation” that he can just move d3 each hero phase because there is a navigator on his Ironclad(as per the website under the description; when you go to buy it). To me the wording seems that you need to actually have the hero itself “Aetheric Navigator” on the battlefield. What is everyone else’s take on it?

You mean the model of a navigator that is physically part of the ironclad kit and hangs out up in the balloon section?  Yeah, that guy definitely doesn't count, he's just a bit of scenary on the ironclad.   You have to have paid for the warscroll Aetheric Navigator and have a model representing it on the board.

Sounds like your playing with "that guy."   

1 hour ago, shaywarren18 said:

Yeah I mean to me; it was pretty clear what it means. You need to have the actual hero on the battlefield, visible to the ironclad. But because it says in the fluff part on the website. He thinks the Ironclad also counts as a navigator.

Yeah, so the Ironclad is neither named "Aetheric Navigator"  nor does it have the keyword Navigator or Aetheric Navigator.  Ergo it is not a navigator.  

Hello, recently I started with Kharadron, I love your aesthetics, you could tell me compulsory purchases, better '' house '' to play etc, I have bought this for the moment:

- Ironclad
- 40 Arkanaut Company
- Admiral
- Khemist x2
- Navigator
- Frigate
- Endrinriggers x6

Any more purchase? in my play area we play regularly at 1000 or 1500 points, the house that I am playing the most is Urbaz

You are on a good path with what you've got. Frigates and Navigators are rarely used, just as an FYI. The optimal unit of Endrinriggers is 9, with 3 of them having Grappling hooks.

Urbaz is a really good Skyport, doubling up on Khemist buffs is really nice. Try out Zilfin too, they have some great deployment/movement tricks. I highly suggest doing some test games before you start painting.

Archived