Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

The main thing is that he is such a force multiplier in a KO army! Since we really rely on shooting, he ensures our main advantage is even more consistent.
He is quick so can keep up with the rest of your army and get where he needs to be. 
With a 3+ save and 5 wounds he is pretty resilient, with 4 attacks at 3+/3+/-1/1 he can lay down a little bit of hurt. 

His "illuminator of the lost" ability is against any targets within 10" of it. Meaning including his movement you can reliably get re-rolls on someone who is 22" away. 
After the initial volley you can get him stuck into combat(obviously not against something he is gonna get squished against - you need him to hopefully hold around until your next hero phase).
Once he is in combat then the following hero phase he can unleash his "light of sigmar" ability, acting like a little mini nuke causing D3 to every unit within 8", or against chaos D6!
And if he dies after that, then so what? He will have more than likely made his points back! If he doesn't die then he can continue buffing your shooting until he eventually pops!
This is all for the astoundingly cheap points cost of 80! 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, StuartyAlec said:

The main thing is that he is such a force multiplier in a KO army! Since we really rely on shooting, he ensures our main advantage is even more consistent.
He is quick so can keep up with the rest of your army and get where he needs to be. 
With a 3+ save and 5 wounds he is pretty resilient, with 4 attacks at 3+/3+/-1/1 he can lay down a little bit of hurt. 

His "illuminator of the lost" ability is against any targets within 10" of it. Meaning including his movement you can reliably get re-rolls on someone who is 22" away. 
After the initial volley you can get him stuck into combat(obviously not against something he is gonna get squished against - you need him to hopefully hold around until your next hero phase).
Once he is in combat then the following hero phase he can unleash his "light of sigmar" ability, acting like a little mini nuke causing D3 to every unit within 8", or against chaos D6!
And if he dies after that, then so what? He will have more than likely made his points back! If he doesn't die then he can continue buffing your shooting until he eventually pops!
This is all for the astoundingly cheap points cost of 80! 

I run one, its a good job Sigmar can reforge him as he dies a lot and quickly.  That said he does perform a certain purpose in my force, everyone knows he can buff shooting so he is often a primary target no matter where you put him, so i run him as bait.  

I use him as an early drop and you know your opponent has to counter him or risk you getting the shooting buff, as stated he is pretty tough so they cant trust this task to any old chaff, it has to be something with range and/or clout.  This means i can now deploy the rest of my force knowing the Azyros will either take and objective and then die, or, hold it long enough to get me some decent points.  If they dedicate a unit to tackle him I can either deploy to back him up or weight the other flank.  I usually go for the other flank knowing that i now have advantage as a good unit is distracted by the Azyros so i can just use weight of fire to work my way along their line, having gained a point advantage on the first turn.

I rarely get the chance to use his buff as the opponent deploys far enough back to prevent it 1st turn and then he dies, ive never had an opponent let him live long enough so he is in a position to use the light of sigmar!  Neither of these are a great loss, he has little damage output himself but as a distraction he allows more Kharadrons to live and do way more damage.

Is anyone else getting seriously dismayed trying to paint these bloody Kharadron?!

I sprayed mine the final colour of the armour and im just slowly ruining them trying to paint the endless details.  Doesnt help im trying to do the whole lot at once so i can use them for games.  Im now just smothering the details in layers of paint trying to cover the millions of tiny hollows left by belt buckles and rivets.  I think once im done ill just buy the whole army again and gradually replace units with ones painted slowly, starting with a dark base colour!, so they dont look like ******.  Urrgghhh. :(

2 hours ago, stato said:

Is anyone else getting seriously dismayed trying to paint these bloody Kharadron?!

I sprayed mine the final colour of the armour and im just slowly ruining them trying to paint the endless details.  Doesnt help im trying to do the whole lot at once so i can use them for games.  Im now just smothering the details in layers of paint trying to cover the millions of tiny hollows left by belt buckles and rivets.  I think once im done ill just buy the whole army again and gradually replace units with ones painted slowly, starting with a dark base colour!, so they dont look like ******.  Urrgghhh. :(

My skyport was Urbaz ..So i choose to paint similar to skyport colour.It ok for me.

kharadron.jpg

10 hours ago, stato said:

They do have lots of detail and it's more a decision of which details you want to paint vs keeping it the same color as the rest, i.e. do you make glowing sections on the guns/packs or keep it all metal?  Change different colors of metal on the Khemist "beard" or all limit it to one?  That is what I struggled with!  But they do take a while.  What I've done is paint many units in the base colors.  That way they are painted and I can play with them.  Then, when I have time, I am going back over a unit to do the more detailed shading/highlighting etc.  That made it more manageable for me.

I painted mine in my own scheme, loosely based on Mhornar. I love the idea of them being pirates, but I want mine to have more of a creepy feel. They also will transport more 'illicit' goods, specializing in strange brew...though their true task in trade is information . It's how they can adapt so quickly  to any situation when the going gets tough! They do have a lot of detail, and it can be a daunting task. The key is to keep at it, figure out how to get a basic standard done that you can revisit later.

I played a game last night vs a seriously tough list and opponent. The mission was Starstrike. He was playing Vanguard Wing also using the Tempest Lords Harbinger chamber. It was basically  a Lord Celestant (Staunch Defender, Mirror Shield), Relictor (Blessed Weapons, Pennant of Sigmaron), Lord Castellant (Tempest), 30 Libs with 6 Grandhammers,  4 units of Trident Prosecutors, 2 units Judicators. The basic premise is that the Liberators can teleport to anyplace they need to be near Prosecutors, and the Procecutors can make a charge move without having to actually charge as movement so the board is his. There are enough Liberators where he can chain them to the Heroes auras so they are constantly buffed with 2+ Armor saves (remember the reroll 1's) and tons of exploding hits. It's so crazy, so much damage and nigh impossible to kill. Speaking of Impossible to Kill, his Hero Clump is just as tough a nut to crack.

I played my KO as Barak-Zilfin, which I hadn't tried before (I normally just play Mhornar, but I want to try each of them for a while to see how they roll). This is a pretty strong list imo, played well it's murderous. I made a few minute errors, and I was already backpedalling as it was, which could have really tipped the balance into an all out victory early on. For instance, deploying one of my Khemists with the unit of 40 would easily have wiped out 3 units of Prosecutors instead of leaving them at one model each (I did get lucky and he rolled a 6 for battleshock on one). 

Arkanaut Admiral (140)

- General
- Command Trait : Fleetmaster
- Artefact : Masterwrought Armour

Aether-Khemist (140)

Aether-Khemist (140)

Units

1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

- Allies

1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

- Allies

30 x Arkanaut Company (360)

- 9 x Light Skyhooks

10 x Arkanaut Company (120)

- 3 x Light Skyhooks

10 x Arkanaut Company (120)

- 3 x Light Skyhooks

9 x Endrinriggers (360)

- 3 x Grapnel Launchers

3 x Skywardens (100)

- 1 x Aethermatic Volley Guns - 1 x Drill Cannons

War Machines

Arkanaut Ironclad (440)

- Main Gun : Aethermatic Volley Cannon
- Great Endrinworks : Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)

This list is 4 drop, but that's ok it actually doesn't mind going second.  With Zilfin, Fleetmaster and the Aetherspheric Endrins you can redeploy the Ironclad. Depending on how you want to play this, you can still have 2 units of 10 Arkanaut Company, 3 Heroes, 9 Endrinriggers and the Skywardens still on the boat leaving you with lots of movement/tactical options. I did a denied flank deployment (deployed in a corner). I dropped the ship first, then bubble wrapped it with the unit of 40. I then bubble wrapped them with 2 units of 10 AC, placing the Gryph-hounds equidistantly so I could catch whatever decided to set up near me (Warning Cry Stacks, so your opponent can take a total of  24 Light Skyhooks to the face). Once you've seen how your opponent deploys, you can then pick up the Ironclad and place it anywhere you want and in my case I went to the opposite side of the board in my deployment zone. On board were all 3 heroes, Endrinriggers and Skywardens. This redeployment ability is HUGE.

I won't go into round by round details, but having those Gryph-Hounds was a serious threat and determined my opponents deployment/movement malarkey. He was conservative, which even though I was going second allowed me to redeploy and threaten his Prosecutors and Heroes. In hindsight, I should have dropped off one Khemist to buff the unit of 40 and their light Skyhooks so I could be sure to wipe out the Prosecutors on that side of the board. In the end it didn't matter, even with only 7 models left on the board vs his almost full unit of Liberators he was stuck in a position too far away from where I had more objectives. So with a little luck and some tricks up my Arkanaut Admiral sleeves I was able to pull off a win vs an extremely hard list and a great player. 

I hope this read through gives some insight, I'm trying to type it while I work and I'm unfortunately running out of time :)

Hi Everyone,

I'm super new (haven't even purchased my first models yet!), but I think I'm all in on Kharadron Overlords. 

Im getting together my first 50 Wound/1000 pts and this is what I've come up with. Would someone mind letting me know if my opening purchases are all terrible, or if this might be workable? If you all say it's ok, I'll head to the store asap and buy the lot!

Sub Question, are there enough weapons in each kit to fully load a unit?

(For example, my Arkanaut units I'd like with 3 skyhooks in each 10 man squad. Are there 3 skyhooks in the box of 10 guys, or is AoS like 40k where they rarely every give you more than 1 and you have to hunt down bits swap sales to WYSIWYG your guys?)

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
3 x Skywardens (100)
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Drill Cannons
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Total: 49 Wounds
Total: 920 / 1000

Thanks for any feedback for this noob!

10 minutes ago, Clay_Puppington said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm super new (haven't even purchased my first models yet!), but I think I'm all in on Kharadron Overlords. 

Im getting together my first 50 Wound/1000 pts and this is what I've come up with. Would someone mind letting me know if my opening purchases are all terrible, or if this might be workable? If you all say it's ok, I'll head to the store asap and buy the lot!

(For example, my Arkanaut units I'd like with 3 skyhooks in each 10 man squad. Are there 3 skyhooks in the box of 10 guys, or is AoS like 40k where they rarely every give you more than 1 and you have to hunt down bits swap sales to WYSIWYG your guys?)

Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
3 x Skywardens (100)
- 1x Drill Cannons
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)

Can't really comment on your list as I've only just started the army myself but in regards to the special weapons you only get one of each type per box so you will need to hunt down more 

30 minutes ago, Clay_Puppington said:

Arkanaut Ironclad (440)

Hello and welcome to the Skydwarves! 

Your list looks good Form a Starter. You will always need 20 Arkanauts or a Khemist. Skywardens are good as well (Endrinriggers are a tad better but Wardens are fine).

Only two Things:

1. You only get 1 special weapon per Arkanauts Box. I recommend building all three (Pike, Hook and Gun) per Box. So you later have the option to run one 10 man unit of each. The Hook maybe the best right now but that may change in the future and the other two weapons are good as well.

2. I dont recommend starting with a Ironclad. It has good rules but thats 44% of your army in one model at 1000 points. That drasticly limites your option to change things in your list. Also, the kit itself can be quite challenging. A Gunhauler or a frigat are better suited for a beginner. So try replacing the Ironclad with a frigate and add 5 Thunderers with aethershot rifles and a Admiral. The Thunderers can ride in the frigat with the Khemist and the wardens, while your admiral buffs your Arkanauts.

11 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

2. I dont recommend starting with a Ironclad. It has good rules but thats 44% of your army in one model at 1000 points. That drasticly limites your option to change things in your list. Also, the kit itself can be quite challenging. A Gunhauler or a frigat are better suited for a beginner. So try replacing the Ironclad with a frigate and add 5 Thunderers with aethershot rifles and a Admiral. The Thunderers can ride in the frigat with the Khemist and the wardens, while your admiral buffs your Arkanauts.

Thanks for your help everyone. 

I wasn't sold on the Ironclad as an opening purchase either, but it just looked so cool I couldn't pass it up. I'll think about cutting it and adding a few units of Endrinriggers and expand my Skywardens. I'll check out those frigates. Thanks for helping me out!

As far as kit assembly itself on the Ironclad, I appreciate the concern. While I'm a total noob for AoS, I'm an old hat at 40k and 30k. So hopefully the assembly doesn't cause me too many problems.

My biggest issue is that I current have nearly 0 idea of what any of these units do, and outside of a handful of recent batreps featuring Kharador (that never seemed to go well for the poor Dwarves), my concept of "what models really contribute what" is a little shaky. I formed the list above just out of the minimum requirements (battlelines, and an HQ), and grabbed the rest just sort of based on what I've read on this forum and seen on youtube. 

Thanks again for the concern, and for taking your time to help me out today!

15 minutes ago, Clay_Puppington said:

Thanks for your help everyone. 

I wasn't sold on the Ironclad as an opening purchase either, but it just looked so cool I couldn't pass it up. I'll think about cutting it and adding a few units of Endrinriggers and expand my Skywardens. I'll check out those frigates. Thanks for helping me out!

As far as kit assembly itself on the Ironclad, I appreciate the concern. While I'm a total noob for AoS, I'm an old hat at 40k and 30k. So hopefully the assembly doesn't cause me too many problems.

My biggest issue is that I current have nearly 0 idea of what any of these units do, and outside of a handful of recent batreps featuring Kharador (that never seemed to go well for the poor Dwarves), my concept of "what models really contribute what" is a little shaky. I formed the list above just out of the minimum requirements (battlelines, and an HQ), and grabbed the rest just sort of based on what I've read on this forum and seen on youtube. 

Thanks again for the concern, and for taking your time to help me out today!

I had a whole run down of the Kharadron Units written down before my Browser crashed. Im sorry for that but I can direct you to the 1D4Chan Age of Sigmar Tactics Page. They can give you a good Overview over most factions, If you can ignore the Internet Slang...

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Edition_1.1/Kharadron_Overlords

44 minutes ago, Clay_Puppington said:

MC1Gamer and @Thomas Lyons just did a great "Unlocking Kharadron Overlords" ep a week or two ago, I'd suggest checking that out on YouTube for tips.

2 hours ago, Clay_Puppington said:

Hi Everyone,

Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
3 x Skywardens (100)
- 1x Drill Cannons
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)

I think you have a great list going here personally. The only thing I'd change out is the Artefact on your Ironclad, take the Aetherspheric Endrinds. What you can do is one drop everything on your Ironclad, which means you determine who will go first...unless your opponent also has a one drop list and wins the option to deploy (and hence go) first.

So you can drop your Ironclad, and everything on board. Wait for your opponent to deploy, then...you use Fleetmaster. At that point, you can either have it Deployed in the Aethersphere where you can pretty much put it anywhere you want on the table or you can move it somewhere else in your deployment zone. Trust me, this is huge.

The other nice thing about Zilfin is you get to reroll 1's to hit and wound against flyers. It's really nice.

You only get 1 of each kind of weapon in the box. I was able to convert more Light Skyhooks by cutting the end off the spear and gluing it to the Volley Cannon. Simple as that. Then, you'll have at least 2 per unit. You could always buy a third box of Arkanauts for now to use the weapons, as you'll need to buy it anyway when you increase your points. Don't forget to convert Light Skyhooks from your leftover Skywarden guns!

I say go for it and good luck!

I took an Ironclad at 1000 when i first started playing and honestly it felt more overpowered than limiting.  I agree on changing the artifact if you are going to stick with Zilfin, one of the major reasons to take them is the Endrin. Alternatively you could do another port like Urbaz or Mhornar and keep the same artifact but gain different buffs.

Thanks to everyone for their help, and I hope you don't mind if I bother you with another question.

I've read some lists, whipped through all the resources I've been linked and such, and it's fantastic, thank you.

My question today, is concerning Endriggers and Grapnel Launchers. 

I've been following Gary Percival's play on Kharadrons, and got to see his game yesterday. He has his x9 Endriggers loaded up with x3 Grapnel Launchers to go swinging all over the table, which I find really cool.

My question is, because the Grapnel Launcher doesn't have an attack profile, and it forces the Gun Butt melee attack, why would he take 3 of them in a unit of 9? Why not 2, or even 1, just to slingshot around the table? 

Is the point in weakening the units shooting and melee just for more consistent Grapnel?

8 minutes ago, eekamouse said:

Anyone have the list that placed second at Blood & Glory this past weekend?

I think someone posted on the KO facebook group that it was nearly identical to his 4th place last time, except he's swapped the 3 wardens with 3 riggers

x3 Khemists
x3 10 man Arks with Hooks
x1 9 man Riggers with 3 Grapnels
x1 3 man Riggers
x1 9 man Wardens with 3 Aethermatic Guns and 3 Drill Cannons
x1 Ironclad

1 hour ago, Clay_Puppington said:

Thanks to everyone for their help, and I hope you don't mind if I bother you with another question.

I've read some lists, whipped through all the resources I've been linked and such, and it's fantastic, thank you.

My question today, is concerning Endriggers and Grapnel Launchers. 

I've been following Gary Percival's play on Kharadrons, and got to see his game yesterday. He has his x9 Endriggers loaded up with x3 Grapnel Launchers to go swinging all over the table, which I find really cool.

My question is, because the Grapnel Launcher doesn't have an attack profile, and it forces the Gun Butt melee attack, why would he take 3 of them in a unit of 9? Why not 2, or even 1, just to slingshot around the table? 

Is the point in weakening the units shooting and melee just for more consistent Grapnel?

The reason to take multiple grapples is to be sure they work. Grapple shoots at the end of the shooting phase on a 4+, so by taking 3 of them you almost guarantee it goes off so you can plan around it.

2 hours ago, Karchev23 said:

Why is nobody talking about how gary took out 2nd place with ko!?

THEY SCARED MUHUHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Also KO won Best Warhost at Holy Havoc if anyone hasn't been following @Thomas Lyons

I so wish I was able to go to Da Boyz and just rip peoples faces off. I mean that in 'Play my KO very well and win the tournament' kind of way, not a 'Jeffrey Dahmer style fruit roll up' way.

3 hours ago, Dez said:

THEY SCARED MUHUHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Also KO won Best Warhost at Holy Havoc if anyone hasn't been following @Thomas Lyons

I so wish I was able to go to Da Boyz and just rip peoples faces off. I mean that in 'Play my KO very well and win the tournament' kind of way, not a 'Jeffrey Dahmer style fruit roll up' way.

Correct, Davy had KO in his half of Holy Havok and him and Erik took 1st.  I also ran KO and we three way tied for 5th (although a final win would have put us tied with Erik and Davy).  

Both Davy and I's KO were simply a mixed force of 1500 points where only 1k would be deployed in any given game.  I don't know his standard deployment, but I was regularly running 20 Company, 10 Company, and 12 Riggers (2 grapples, 2 Drill cannons) in either a single 12 pack or two 6 packs and a Khemist.  My sideboard had a Frigate, 5 rifle Thunderers, 3 Skywardens, and a Gryph-hound. You also have to remember the scenarios were pretty non-standard, we had partners to absorb a lot of the combat (I had IJ in front of me), and the Warlord warscrolls were our generals as well.  Yes, we both did well, but folks shouldn't probably read too much into it.

Gary's win on the other hand is a big deal.  His was a standard 2k event.  He ran a modified version of his World Grand GT event (which is noted above).  I was already considering a small unit or two of riggers.  I'm glad his head is in the same space; it's certainly encouraging I'm not way off track.

11 minutes ago, wanderingrogue said:

Hey guys. Gary here. 

The simple answer to the grapnel thing is correct, its a consistancy thing. The rigger charge HAS to go off. 75% chance of going off just isnt good enough odds :)

Gary!

First off, congrats on your success with KO so far. Looking forward to much more in the future!

If you dont mind me picking your brain while you're here;

You had at one point selected "The Last Word" on your Ironclad over "Aetherspheric Endrinds". Do you still stand by the choice, and was it chosen specifically to add more punch to your clown-car alpha strike?

Any tips for someone like me who is just working on assembling their first KO models as we speak? 

Hey. The last word was an experiment. I was never using the endrins as i got more milage out the hero move for my alpha.

However people did start deploying differently knowing i couldnt drop in.  Plus also the changeling interaction (they kinda clash so you roll off as to who deploys/redeploys 1st) means that i can always get the drop on that little ****** if i need to with the endrins

So i went back to the endrins. 

Also just deploying off table now is easier. Makes people make mistakes "so you cant come with in 9 right" lots of measuring... then redeploy on table in a sweet spot and take all thier characters off...

Archived