Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

13 hours ago, Drofnum said:

What armies do you guys find are the toughest to play against?  The biggest one i can think of is stardrake with mirrorshield. /snip/

Anyway, just curious what you guys find to be hard matchups so maybe I can try and seek that out a little more.  

Nurgle. Which is common in my area. And fyreslayers. As what Tom said in the video.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Drofnum said:

What armies do you guys find are the toughest to play against?  The biggest one i can think of is stardrake with mirrorshield.

In my local area I've played quite a few different armies and lists, some more competitive than others, and I honestly cant remember having a single close game.  Its almost always me blowing away the other guy and i'm positive i'm not some sort of tactical genius!  So I figure i must just be getting good matchups or maybe my opponents are unsure of how to beat me, my Khemist almost never gets targeted so that is definitely one issue with people playing against me since he basically doubles my damage output.  

Anyway, just curious what you guys find to be hard matchups so maybe I can try and seek that out a little more.  

I think 9 to 12 balloon boys are sufficient to eliminate any single big ticket monster or unit with minimum shooting investment.

I am currently struggling with a way to figure out how to beat cheap hordes, particularly replenishable ones like death and demons. I can even drop it, eliminate support, and still end up swamped in bodies or failing to hold objectives through the number of bodies on an objective.

5 hours ago, Qaz said:

Nurgle. Which is common in area. And fyreslayers. As what Tom said in the video.

I've played nurgle, only at 1000 points,but I killed half his army in one round of shooting. Did 18 damage to his glottkin alone. 

13 minutes ago, stratigo said:

I think 9 to 12 balloon boys are sufficient to eliminate any single big ticket monster or unit with minimum shooting investment.

I am currently struggling with a way to figure out how to beat cheap hordes, particularly replenishable ones like death and demons. I can even drop it, eliminate support, and still end up swamped in bodies or failing to hold objectives through the number of bodies on an objective.

Hordes can be a pain, I usually just let my company take care of them though. Riggers with Saws work decent as well depending on what it is. I've played khorne and FEC quite a bit and haven't found those to really be a problem. 

Hey guys had an idea for a kind of Klown Car Shenanigans using the below list. The plan is to have 1 drop due to the iron sky squadron and have the iron clad full of everyone in the iron clad due to Barak Zilfin and waiting for the enemy to fully deploy their army and redeploy the frigates.  And then give up turn one for the enemy to either move closer or waste it giving me a possible double turn! Tell me what you guys think! And what other attachments I can put on the frigates. Thank you 

45DFA6B4-178E-4F73-9744-96348F7ABC39.png

4 hours ago, Heroflegend21 said:

Also in the battle tome what does “ A Barak Zilfin iron sky squadron may contain one unit of Endrinriggers for every one Frigate in the battalion” under the Barak Zilfin skyport break down?

you can add skyrigger units in your iron sky squadrons

On 10/21/2017 at 12:12 AM, Drofnum said:

What armies do you guys find are the toughest to play against?  The biggest one i can think of is stardrake with mirrorshield.

In my local area I've played quite a few different armies and lists, some more competitive than others, and I honestly cant remember having a single close game.  Its almost always me blowing away the other guy and i'm positive i'm not some sort of tactical genius!  So I figure i must just be getting good matchups or maybe my opponents are unsure of how to beat me, my Khemist almost never gets targeted so that is definitely one issue with people playing against me since he basically doubles my damage output.  

I just played againt stardrake with mirrorshield yesterday in 1500 pt. Game.

my plan was shoot everything that can do long range dmg. And close combat to stardrake with 6xendrinrigger with saw and brokk grungson with saw lol.

but still pretty close i wiped out them at turn5.

oh btw. Before close to stardrake i was buffed endrinrigger'saw with khemist. 

10 minutes ago, Zetsu20 said:

I just played againt stardrake with mirrorshield yesterday in 1500 pt. Game.

my plan was shoot everything that can do long range dmg. And close combat to stardrake with 6xendrinrigger with saw and brokk grungson with saw lol.

I saw Brokk. Insta-like.  How are people finding him? I think he's quite fun to field. 

1 hour ago, Qaz said:

I saw Brokk. Insta-like.  How are people finding him? I think he's quite fun to field. 

He's 300 points.

To compare, 2 of the Bloodthirster variations are 280 points.

Which do you think is more useful in their army?

Brokk's another cool unit tragically over priced in the army. I think that's largely the kharadron story. Every unit but Riggers and Arkanauts are a bit too expensive for what they do.

1 hour ago, stratigo said:

He's 300 points.

To compare, 2 of the Bloodthirster variations are 280 points.

Which do you think is more useful in their army?

Brokk's another cool unit tragically over priced in the army. I think that's largely the kharadron story. Every unit but Riggers and Arkanauts are a bit too expensive for what they do.

That because brokk has 3 range weapon and 1 powerful melee weapon but i think if his cost was reduce to 280pt. That'll be great. ?

Just now, Zetsu20 said:

That because brokk has 3 range weapon and 1 powerful melee weapon but i think if his cost was reduce to 280pt. That'll be great. ?

Trust me a bloodthirster makes Brokk cry in combat. And does more damage overall. And is more survivable. And, frankly, has better command traits I find, but that's more subjective. He's a charge enabler in an army that likes to shoot verse similar enabling in armies that love combat. And he can't take artefacts

Brokk is drastically over priced IMHO. I think 200 to 250 is a better range for Brokk. Brokk just doesn't massively synergize with the kharadron list. Even balloon boys want to unload their pistols into an enemy before a charge

Trust me a bloodthirster makes Brokk cry in combat. And does more damage overall. And is more survivable. And, frankly, has better command traits I find, but that's more subjective. He's a charge enabler in an army that likes to shoot verse similar enabling in armies that love combat. And he can't take artefacts

Brokk is drastically over priced IMHO. I think 200 to 250 is a better range for Brokk. Brokk just doesn't massively synergize with the kharadron list. Even balloon boys want to unload their pistols into an enemy before a charge

Yeah i know i never use brokk as general.but i like him because brokk and ironclad is my birthday gift from my girlfriend?. So i can't take him off from my KO Army.

Btw Thank you for your advice.??

My experiences with him have been very positive. Your mileage may vary, but I do like having him "damned" and send him into a monster that he has a good chance of killing on a 2+/2+/-2 rerollable with hopefully the 3 flat dmg. 300 is expensive but 260 feels like a steal to me.  (Hurricanum is a favourite target)

Yup, command ability goes unused. Should really be run, shoot and charge. 

I couldn't resist Brokk, despite the points cost. That is the model that made me love the army. The whole warscroll is great. I love the gun names - Magnate's Charter and Grungsson's Boast. Then abilities like The Lord-Magnate Moves. Just love that crazy eccentric flying balloon terminator duardin.

29 minutes ago, stratigo said:

if riggers ever became battle line, no one would use anything but.

I do think thunderers should be battleline now that they've been nerfed.

Thats not a whole lot different than it is now.  The units used 98% of the time are Company and the two varieties of riggers. Thunderers are basically gone already unless they change the cost or scroll again, you could still see ships in use as a transport/tank/objective holder and heroes would remain the same. I also dont think Riggers are better than Company in all situations so you would still see people take them, I personally would just take a big block of 40 and a bunch of riggers.

6 hours ago, Ered said:

Mates what is your opinion on using Grapnel Launcher ability multiple times one after another? I have asked a question in rules section but maybe here more people can clarify it.

I think the wording is ambiguous enough that you could technically argue in favour of multiple hooks, but the spirit of the rule seems much more to me like a single grapple.

6 hours ago, Ered said:

Mates what is your opinion on using Grapnel Launcher ability multiple times one after another? I have asked a question in rules section but maybe here more people can clarify it.

Yup. Sounds like you can resolve one by one. 

59 minutes ago, Oldmanlee said:

Hi all 

I'm going to be starting this army on Friday my question is can you build a semi competitive list round two ironclads at all? 

Definitely, think Zilfin with lots of Endrinriggers. Tom has an example list in this video 

Archived