Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

On 9/10/2017 at 8:54 AM, RoloMcFury said:

Either a Knight Azyros to provide buff or x2 separate Gryph Hounds to surround the 40-man blob and defend against special deployments.

I'm also a bit stuck on which command trait to take. The extra footnote seems to offer the most, but it's so random.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had any luck with large squads of Arkanauts?

Personally, I'd vote the two hounds to throw in the face of your opponent, and to prevent them from dropping anywhere near that blob.

No trading with some people is fantastic, being able to ping off that last wound of something can be so fantastic.

The large Ark's are the best, and point for point they ARE the best unit in our book.  You just gotta keep them from battleshocking away.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RocketMan said:

No big ships ? 

Personal preference. Some like an Ironclad as its pretty tanky and looks cool. I bought frigates as i wan the option to have more units in matched play (the frigate is less points) but also because I wanted 2 to use occasionally and ironclad are more £££.  If you want to start out then 2 of each unit box and some characters is good place as any, then a ship of your choice.  There are so few units for KO its not really a case of saying "you must have b & f units and , but can ignore units a ,c ,d, e, etc."

4 hours ago, RocketMan said:

No big ships ? 

If you were looking for that first like 1k points I'd tell you somthing like...

1xKemist

2xArknaughts

1xFrigate

and two boxes of balloons and you'll be around 900ish points so depending if you build wardens or riggers you can get another box of balllons, Thunderers or a character.

That would get you your two troops and a boat to play with, and then whatever else you want.

Hi!

Still trying to improve my KO list. I`m playing in copmetetive local meta so nerf after GH2017 hit me pretty hard.

I think that the biggest issue with KO atm is lack of staying power. We still have lot of firepower, ability to snipe enemy heroes and thanks to riggers and wardens a nice ability to move across the board (for objective grabbing or contesting). Even more -  small number of drops even without battalions (ships and riggers/wardens).

IMO - Vulkite bersekers are now best options for KO armies. Wall of 20-30 32mm bases with 5+/4++ should give arkanauts (2 x 30) buffed by khemist time to snipe monsters/enemy heroes. Without them there`s a slight chance to win grind war with hordes ("horde meta"). Wardens with grapnels can hunt enemy units decimated by arkanauts and grabbing objectives.

I know that my lists have few issues - only one fragile khemist but i belive i can hide him near board edge and conga-line arkanauts. I`m still torn between deepstriking with vulkites or use them as a wall. In "deepstrike option" i have them in reserves so they are save from potential alpha strike and rest of my army is on frigate - only 2x30 arkanauts on table and a "transport-frigate").

SO. I think about two lists:

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Prospector 
- Artefact: Masterwrought Armour 
Auric Runesmiter (80)
- Runic Iron
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
- 9x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 9x Light Skyhooks
20 x Vulkite Berzerkers (240)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Incredible Self-healing Hull

Total: 1980/2000

OR

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Aether-Khemist (140)

- General
- Trait: Prospector 
- Artefact: Masterwrought Armour 
- 9x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 9x Light Skyhooks
30 x Vulkite Berzerkers (330)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
6 x Skywardens (200)
- 2x Grapnel Launchers
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Incredible Self-healing Hull

Total: 1990/2000

Vulkites are a good option, they do change your list to slow/defensive though, cutting into the budget for fast moving hard hitters such as large units of endriggers. With one Khemist it might be hard to keep those big units of Arkanaughts pushing out effective amounts of firepower, with Urbaz and 2 big units though I guess one turn of buffing before he gets removed is worth the risk .  Interesting choice of Artefact, I think for me the Aethersite loupe would be preferred as if your Khemist is hidden the biggest threat is targeted magic on him, being able to dispel would hold off at least some mortal wounds, if he is not hidden then no amount of RR1's will help him  :D

Hello everyone.

I have a few questions/discussion points I'd like people's opinions on

1. For the new Thunderer's, it seems like in order to ensure you get the synergy going you'd want to run at least 15 as the rules seem to indicate only 1 of the mortars and then decksweepers need to hit? Therefore it seems like a 15 man squad is an ideal number?

2. The Barak Urbaz foot note states that 'one your units within 3'' of an enemy can pile in and attack as if it were the combat phase, or shoot as if it were the shooting phase'. If I'm reading this correctly, does this mean I can only shoot with it when within 3'', or is that restriction limited to the pile in/attack option?

3.  Is Brokk useable with non Barak-Nar?

4. Could I get some feedback on the following couple of 1k lists?

Mhornar or Thryng
Admiral - Doughty  Champion/Masterwrought armor.
Aether-Khemist

10 x Arkanaut 3 skyhooks

10x Arkanaut 3 skyhooks

Grundstok Gunhauler with a sky cannon.

6 endrinriggers, 5 saws and 1 grapple.

980/1000

Mhornar or Thryng

Brokk (Doughty Champion)

Grundstok Gunhauler with a sky cannon.

Endrinrigger x6 5 saws 1 grapple

10 x Arkanaut 3 skyhooks

10x Arkanaut 3 skyhooks

1000/1000

I'm leaning Thryng with the idea of using the grudge and the free reroll to ensure the sky cannon hits where it needs to, or for the grapple if the cannon does ok by itself. If I went Mhornar I would use the reroll to shoot turn 1 with everything grouped around the Admiral. I am using heavy

3 hours ago, Chris Rose said:

How is everybody making multiple skyhooks as only one comes per box. I am seeing lists with 12 + 

I was lucky enough to snap them off eBay early on. As that is no longer the case,  I think people are going to have to resort to converting em

16 hours ago, Superking said:

2. The Barak Urbaz foot note states that 'one your units within 3'' of an enemy can pile in and attack as if it were the combat phase, or shoot as if it were the shooting phase'. If I'm reading this correctly, does this mean I can only shoot with it when within 3'', or is that restriction limited to the pile in/attack option

I read it as only do either if within 3", because they stipulate the criteria (range) before the 'can'.  So 'can' attack or 'can' shoot.  

I think if it were otherwise it would be 'can' if within 3" pile-in or 'can' shoot... etc.

I think this is backed up by the fact the Mhornar footnote mentions pile-in but does not mention anything about needing to be within 3".  (you do need to be within 3" to pile in but this is covered by the statement 'as if it were the combat phase' so you follow the rules for that phase)

On 9/19/2017 at 11:10 AM, Superking said:

I have lost the flying bases for my riggers. The ones on the box seem bendy, but the ones you can buy on the GW website seem straight. Could anyone clarify if you can buy the bendy bases, or do I just have to hope I find them?

Currently they are not for sale, that may change as mentioned by lecfast since space marines also use em. Closed I found on the market are the curved ones from warmachine but talk about $$$

Had a few more games this week in anticipation of an event coming up.

My list was 2 kemists, 3x10 arknaughts, 1x frigate, 3x9 Riggers.

Against a double snowball beastclaw raiders, overextended with my Riggers a bit too fast taking objectives in the meteor mission early when I should have held back for the late game. Ended up being a close loss when I couldent get the last wounds on the frostlords twice!

A game against wanderers where the whole army deploys on the table edges, tried to screen my frigate with 20 arks, all the arks died to the man from the alpha shooting phase. But once the balloons hopped out I was able to almost table the elf army and it was a handshake from there.

Last was against a seraphim with the 60sarus new one drop formation. Despite their turn one charge with 40sarus with -1to hit/arcane shield/reroll saves vs shooting killing 9 Riggers and 10 arks, I was able to stretch the unit attacking from both sides and then clear stegadon/carbasaur lord/and start burning objectives over the next 2 turns for a turnabout win.

Since I've started running 27 balloons I have never felt outmatched. And while I have lost a few games I feel they all could have been a win with slightly tighter play.

5 hours ago, Tzeentch said:

So... are Thunderers now useless with the nerfs?

I think that they're still pretty good. Their stock weapon was never bad, it was only that the Aethercannon was better.

I think most people are moving over to endrinriggers now. Khemists want to use their ability on a unit with single, strong attacks. 

I feel like you can still get mileage out of them, but the days of building a list around a Zihlfin ironclad full of thunderers is probably over.

On 9/25/2017 at 12:18 AM, Humanatee said:

I think that they're still pretty good. Their stock weapon was never bad, it was only that the Aethercannon was better.

I think most people are moving over to endrinriggers now. Khemists want to use their ability on a unit with single, strong attacks. 

I feel like you can still get mileage out of them, but the days of building a list around a Zihlfin ironclad full of thunderers is probably over.

Thanks!

I have another question (I am busy theorycrafting lists for KO :))

Let's say I take an Aetherstrike Force battalion.  Do the Stormcast Eternals units benefit from Artycles and other abilities that don't mention a skyport or SKYFARERS, but just say "unit"?

For example, Barak-Zon's artycle says "You can re-roll hit rolls and wound rolls of 1 for your HEROES if their target is a HERO or MONSTER.".  Would this apply to the Knight Venator from the Aetherstrike battalion?

1 hour ago, Tzeentch said:

Thanks!

I have another question (I am busy theorycrafting lists for KO :))

Let's say I take an Aetherstrike Force battalion.  Do the Stormcast Eternals units benefit from Artycles and other abilities that don't mention a skyport or SKYFARERS, but just say "unit"?

For example, Barak-Zon's artycle says "You can re-roll hit rolls and wound rolls of 1 for your HEROES if their target is a HERO or MONSTER.".  Would this apply to the Knight Venator from the Aetherstrike battalion?

Hi, where units of another faction are included through battalions they do not gain benefits of an allegiance they do not belong, only the benefits of the battalion.  However they do not affect the allegiance of the force as a whole, because units in the battalion are considered to all have the parent allegiance word (its a Kharadron battalion) for the purpose of deciding allegiance of the whole force.

This gets more confusing when you also add in allies.  You could in theory end up with more than 400pt (of 2000) total of non-Kharadron faction and still keep allegiance, as long as enough of those points were bought under the battalion.

So here is an example; (click to expand)

Spoiler

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
Knight-Venator (120) Aetherstrike Force

Battleline

Units
3 x Endrinriggers (120) Aetherstrike Force
3 x Skywardens (100) Aetherstrike Force
3 x Skywardens (100) Aetherstrike Force
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100) Aetherstrike Force
3 x Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers (100) - Allies

War Machines
Grundstok Gunhauler (220) Aetherstrike Force

Battalions
Aetherstrike Force (200)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Allies: 300 / 400

Despite the force containing 720pt of Stormcast, 420pt are within the Aetherstrike Force, so are considered to have the Kharadron keyword for the purpose of allegiance and force composition, meaning the (actual) Kharadrons in the force can benefit from the Kharadron Allegiance abilities.

36 minutes ago, Nico said:

You don't get Barak abilities for Stormcast due to wording on page 91 - only the KO units and Battalions are part of that Sky Port.

The problem with that is the Stormcast units are in the battalion, so are therefore (by that definition) in the Sky Port. 

It was resolved in an FAQ as Sylvaneth was first to have the issue of different factions and allegiances;

Page 156 – Allegiance Abilities, Allegiance Add the following to the end of the second paragraph: ‘The allegiance abilities you choose will apply for the duration of the battle. When picking your army’s allegiance abilities, all units in a warscroll battalion are considered to have the allegiance listed above the title on the warscroll.

For example, the Guardians of Alarielle warscroll battalion includes both Sylvaneth and Stormcast Eternals units, and has ‘Sylvaneth’ listed as its allegiance above the battalion’s title. This means that all of the Stormcast Eternals units in the battalion are considered to have the Sylvaneth allegiance when it comes to choosing allegiance abilities. An army otherwise made up of Sylvaneth units which included this battalion could choose the Sylvaneth or Order allegiance abilities, but the Stormcast Eternals from this battalion wouldn’t benefit from the Sylvaneth allegiance abilities, as they don’t have the Sylvaneth keyword.’

Thanks for the explanation @Nico @stato! It seems like taking an Aetherstrike Force severely hamstrings your Sky Port benefits, as well as what you can bring (i.e. all the required units don't leave you much room for more once you add in battleline and leaders).

Is there any list where this Battalion does OK, or is it more reserved for casual play?

Archived