Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

Just now, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Only closer inspection of the white dwarf it looks like the drill cannon and skyhook is the same weapon part for the riggers, only the weapon end is the part that changes. It has the same housing, pose and gas canister. I ordered another 2 company and frigate today, so I'll trade parts for skyhook!

Well ill be using the drill, Sorry.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

On closer inspection of the white dwarf it looks like the drill cannon and skyhook is the same weapon part for the riggers, only the weapon end is the part that changes. It has the same housing, pose and gas canister. I ordered another 2 company and frigate today, so I'll trade parts for skyhook!

I don't know... the drill cannon was side by side with the skyhook in the same white dwarf and everything else had one of each special weapon that came in the box, so it may be different bits. if not, oh well! it was a good thought while it lasted ;)

Here is what I have come up with at 2000 points:

Artycle: Settle the Grudges
Amendment: Prosecute Wars with All Haste
Footnote: These are Just Guidelines

Aetheric Navigator
    Doughty Champion

Iron Sky Squadron:

Arkanaut Company (10)
    3 light skyhooks

Arkanaut Company (10)
    2 volleyguns, 1 skypike

Arkanaut Company (10)
    2 volleyguns, 1 skypike

Arkanaut Frigate
    Heavy Skyhook
    Magnificent Omniscope

Arkanaut Frigate
    Heavy Skyhook
    Magnificent Omniscope

Endrinriggers (3)
    Aethermatic Volley Gun, Drill Cannon

Endrinriggers (3)
    Aethermatic Volley Gun, Drill Cannon

Grundstok Gunhauler
    Sky Cannon

Grundstok Gunhauler
    Sky Cannon

Aether Khemist
    Autotinkerer

Aether Khemist
    Autotinkerer

Pretty self explanatory. Each frigate contains a company and khemist with the riggers hanging on the sides and gunhaulers there to draw wounds. They rocket up the board first turn with the buffs from the navigator combined with the omniscope endrinwork and the ironsky squadron buffs, also hoping they get an extra few inches with the skyhooks if they are lucky.

The other unit of nauts sits on the back objective guarding the navigator who sits as still as possible.

The hope is I can use settle the grudges combined with prosecute wars with all haste to blow the major threat off the board in the first couple of turns then switch up my artycle to something situationally useful.

Probably not the best list but I reckon it would be good fun to play.

1 hour ago, Dez said:

Do you all think Skyhook ability stacks?

I dont think so. It says, "if any enemy unit suffers an unsaved wound" which sounds like a d6 movement gets turned on. In order to stack I think it would have to say "for each unsaved wound."

I have a similar question though. Unlike the grapnel launcher, the skyhook does not say it has to be directly towards the target, so it is open to the same interpretations as a pile-in move.  Your move could be mostly sideways as long as you end closer to the target. Now, my question is, does each model have to end closer or does the smallest distance have to end smaller? With a unit of 12, if only the smallest distance had to end smaller, you could probably pull some weird looking stuff where the guy on the left was 8" away, and 11 models moved further away, but the guy furthest right moved 2" forward and now the smallest distance is 7.5"

That's exactly what I was thinking, sometimes it's good to say things out loud just in case it was misinterpreted :)

Yes they could both have a myriad of uses...I'm just picturing my army Webslinging around the board like Spiderman or saying 'GET OVER HERE' like Scorpion :)

So I was just thinking, all these Boats are going to be on pretty big bases. Think about board control while having a shooty core, you can just load them up with healing then ring off part of the board and put your troops inside. There's no cohesion with these boats, so you could arrange things so that you have overlapping area denial...for a LOT of the board!

Wagon Train!

17 hours ago, tokek said:

If it helps the discussion along there is a nice overview of the battalions, artefacts etc at https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2017/04/19/age-of-sigmar-kharadron-overlords-overview-part-2/

Interesting that Reece seems quite convinced that GH2 will not permit more than one instance of a buff to apply, I would consider him a pretty credible rumour source.

Agreed.  I've suspected this as a very strong possibility as well.

After a bunch of complaints about how flimsy the Frigate and Ironclad are, I sure see a lot of options in that post to give then better repairing chances and the ability to negate mortal wounds too.

I am seriously tempted by Barak-Ziflin and the ability to give their skyvessel's Aetherspheric Endrins, gonna get me some BSG tactics

on the go:

bucket-drop.gif

On the other hand, the fact that they have manually amended two buffs (to stop them stacking) Bloodsecrator and Blood Stoker - could be seen as pointing the other way.

Personally - I'm horrified by the prospect of 6 Khemist lists which may trigger the wielding of the nerf-hammer (e.g. on FAQs) followed by a savage repointing later - leaving the army very weak (same thing I fear will happen to DoT thanks to Skyfires being broken).

I have to say, I am tempted to run with a 1k list based on my last post. With a Khemist as general, and skypikes (not sky hooks, I got that wrong) for the ironclad company. Sit the Khemist with the footslogging company, and give them the volley guns for a sheer weight of fire. 

It's 2am here, so about eight hours before I have the book. I very much hope that Bark Zon gives me the ability to build the aggressive, combat-oriented list I want (and expect). If not, then it's a toss-up between Zilfin & Morhnar.

I just noticed you cant run when using the "all hands to the guns!" ability, which complicates some plans for my idea of having my turn 1 shooting combo while staying mobile, but not by too much. Having an iron clad seems almost mandatory when you reach higher levels, it just gives you so many buffs! I almost wish the admiral was able to do the same thing.

note: also you can't do the khemist hokey-pokey like I thought, so that also makes me a little sad.

1 hour ago, DynamicCalories said:

After a bunch of complaints about how flimsy the Frigate and Ironclad are, I sure see a lot of options in that post to give then better repairing chances and the ability to negate mortal wounds too.

I am seriously tempted by Barak-Ziflin and the ability to give their skyvessel's Aetherspheric Endrins, gonna get me some BSG tactics

on the go:

bucket-drop.gif

Ironically enough, this is what I was actually thinking about when I wrote my description with house Ziflin ;-)

I need to go back and rematch this scene again.

53 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Got all my stuff today. Built the admiral and frigate. I'll be doing the market city just for the free extra khemyst ability and the mortal wound relic 

While I thin this makes sense, I wouldn't get too attached to stacking Khemists.

And with 2 relics I can give a khemyst + 1 to hit and ignore cover or +1 to hit and +2 shots. Pair that with a khemyst buffing him and a unit for free means he'll throw out 3d6 + 3 shots 3+ 4+ -2 1 :D

Or an endrinmaster with the double damage on a 6 or more to wound and with either it the +1 to wound or 1 extra rend, with his supercharge that could be 6 damage! 

After trawling through the book, I am definitely going with Barak-Zon. Using their Code, I get re-rolls to hit & wound for any of my heroes targeting another hero, or monster; a chance to stop models fleeing after failing battleshock if within 7" of a Skyvessel; a once-per-battle move allowing one unit to disembark during the Hero phase & immediately attempt to charge; and re-rolls for any wound rolls of 1 during Combat phase for units that charged in the same turn.

I also get an additional Footnote from Zon, so went with a once-per-battle re-roll of charge distance for one unit. Not content with that, I'm giving my general the Stickler for The Code trait, which gives me a third footnote. Currently going with a once-per-battle re-roll for an ability to heal a Skyvessel.

I figure that this should allow me to play aggressively, and increase the likelihood of a a key charge attempt being successful. Combining that with the Iron Sky Squadron re-rolls to charge & run distances for Arkonauts on a turn they disembark, and the +1 to charge rolls for other KO units if the Admiral gets a successful charge off, I'm quite confident that most charges should see success. So, yes, it looks like there are some very fun ways to build & play KO armies without getting too, uh, beardy and yet still be effective (this last part pending playtest).

45 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Or an endrinmaster with the double damage on a 6 or more to wound and with either it the +1 to wound or 1 extra rend, with his supercharge that could be 6 damage! 

That would be nasty with the extra rend. I'm considering a similar combo, but for my Admiral. Will make his hammer -3 rend. With re-roll of 1s to hit & wound other Heroes, or Monsters (Barak-Zon), he basically gets re-rolls of all failed wound rolls, and 50% of failed hits in combat against such targets. Against the right target, they'll either have a 6+ or no save, and pretty much should do 4 wounds if I use him right. That's before the extra attack from the Khemist.

I'm even more excited for this release now I have the book.

49 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

And with 2 relics I can give a khemyst + 1 to hit and ignore cover or +1 to hit and +2 shots. Pair that with a khemyst buffing him and a unit for free means he'll throw out 3d6 + 3 shots 3+ 4+ -2 1 :D

Sweet. I thought the Aethershock Earbuster would be the go-to on a Khemist - it can make horde problems disappear.

Archived