Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

Statistically rifles and mortars are little different except at the edge of the curves against lightly armored troops. On average rolls the difference is really a play style choice. Damage output by cannons and fumigators are the best but their low armor value with no way to buff it puts them in a tough position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been using Mortars, and buffed by Khemists it's ridiculous when you also add in their range. While there is no rend to speak of, the amount of forced saves more than makes up for it and at 36" it's just murder.

So my fellow stunties I am torn between wanting a unit of endrinriggers with all chain saws or one with two drill cannons... the drill cannons are awesome and gives great range, but having so many saws is just an easily buffed deathstar of pure doom (plus, it doesn't require a khemist buff as much as a mixed weapon squad seeing as you have at least 7 attacks with the saws) allowing you to buff thunderers without too much worry.

if you do buff the saws then holy ******, almost nothing could stand in your way with 13 chainsaw attacks!

IMO not worth it, unless you go units of 9 guys with 3 cannons and khemist buff them. better with extra saw's.   If you are just taking them for the shooting, take more wardens as you save 20 pts per unit.  (I think the cannons only realy work in a mixed order hurricanium buffed list, when they hit on 3's its decent.)

My local meta has realm gates on the board in every game. On the ground the thunderers usually get one round of shooting only if they are lucky enough not to get charged on turn one. Our beast claw raider player has punished me twice for poor protection. Rarely have I been able to shoot with them twice and that is generally only with a boat deployment where I've been able to place them well out of position of the oncoming army.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:24 PM, Acid_Nine said:

So my fellow stunties I am torn between wanting a unit of endrinriggers with all chain saws or one with two drill cannons... the drill cannons are awesome and gives great range, but having so many saws is just an easily buffed deathstar of pure doom (plus, it doesn't require a khemist buff as much as a mixed weapon squad seeing as you have at least 7 attacks with the saws) allowing you to buff thunderers without too much worry.

if you do buff the saws then holy ******, almost nothing could stand in your way with 13 chainsaw attacks!

Im running a squad of 6 with 4 saw, 2 grapnel.

I dont think the other range options are worth giving up the saw for. If you wanted to do that, wardens seem better for shooting with their 20 points less, skymines, and timed charges all making them more appealing.

Hey Guys!

I think I have everything I need to hit tge tables with my 2000 pts Zilfin list. However, I am running an Ironclad with 20 thunderers. I have been drawing diagrams of the overall concept of phases from taking first or second turn, disembarkation and placement, to moving and shooting. It looks like I lose a lot of speed in the ironclad if that's what I decide to take. With the ironclad it seems like I'm putting all eggs in one basket. Say I move up in the hero phase, disembark, move and then shoot and my aethercannons are out of range due to my opponents placement of an essential target - they are sitting ducks. 

I have been looking at a list with the following:

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (100)
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
- Artefact: Autotinkerer 
Aether-Khemist (100)
Aether-Khemist (100)

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 10x Aethercannons
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 10x Aethercannons
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 1x Grapnel Launchers

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon

Total: 1980/2000

I feel this way I can still take full advantage of the support Zilfin jas to offer. I can place a Frigate down turn one with aethercannons, go full speed and blast something on the front lines and if need be, I have a second Frigate in the aethersphere to come down behind them in turn one if they deploy poorly or even wait and bring them down turn 2 once they move a little. I think the pincer tactic seems super viable with that many aethercannons.

Let me know what you think. Is it worth even going out to buy 2 more frigates or just stick with 20 Thunderers in the Ironclad?

Question about this army and embarked models when playing an Escalation game.  Can you start with all models embarked in say an Iron Clad and only have one model for purposes of setting up units in reserve/off-the-table?  If so, this army will kick butt against anyone in that specific pitched battle scenario. 

36 minutes ago, Zahaladune said:

Question about this army and embarked models when playing an Escalation game.  Can you start with all models embarked in say an Iron Clad and only have one model for purposes of setting up units in reserve/off-the-table?  If so, this army will kick butt against anyone in that specific pitched battle scenario. 

They changed the way Escalation works 5 or so months ago I think.  You can check the Generals Handbook FAQS on the Games Workshop webpage.  Basically nobody starts off the table anymore, battle line starts 9 inches from center line, Behemoths like 24 and everything else I think is like 18...

Still not sure wardens are worth it when compared to thunderers unless I'm missing something

Free hide in transport without taking space. But I an loving endrinriggers. Even without a buff they are just awesome.

They changed the way Escalation works 5 or so months ago I think.  You can check the Generals Handbook FAQS on the Games Workshop webpage.  Basically nobody starts off the table anymore, battle line starts 9 inches from center line, Behemoths like 24 and everything else I think is like 18...

That not in the electronic version or the FAQ in the app. Where is that change published?

Think of picking up some thunderers 

20 Aethershot rifles for khemist buff efficiency

Or 

4 mortars 1 Aethershot captain

4 cannons 1 Aethershot captain

4 fumigators 1 Aethershot captain

5 rifles

What do you guys think?

7 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

That not in the electronic version or the FAQ in the app. Where is that change published?

Can I post a link here?  It's in version 1.1 of the FAQ from December 2016.  If you have an old version up in the app maybe you need to delete and re download it, like sometimes happens with warscrolls.  Otherwise it's in the FAQ section of the GW website here: 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Errata/Warhammer_aos_generals_handbook_en.pdf

They made a big fuss about it on like Warhammer TV when they made the change.  Apparently experience in tournaments showed that the old version just didn't work or wasn't fair and was vulnerable to positioning exploits. 

7 hours ago, il_direttore_sgravato_skiz said:

can you make a report about it? it will be very interesting! :)

Will do once my brain wakes up. I'm not a morning person, and I've been averaging 4 hours of sleep a night because of the painting spree last week :)

42 minutes ago, Dez said:

Will do once my brain wakes up. I'm not a morning person, and I've been averaging 4 hours of sleep a night because of the painting spree last week :)

Congrats Dez!  Would love to see pics of the army too!  I am in a similar situation for the Coalescence event on June 10th - need 1500 pts everything painted and based to table-top standard.  I see lots of late nights....been working hard on assembling and converting and just started getting paint on the arknaughts....Need to do 10 thunderers, khemist, 2 frigates, and finish the 30 arknaughts and admiral........

2 minutes ago, FractalRain said:

Congrats Dez!  Would love to see pics of the army too!  I am in a similar situation for the Coalescence event on June 10th - need 1500 pts everything painted and based to table-top standard.  I see lots of late nights....been working hard on assembling and converting and just started getting paint on the arknaughts....Need to do 10 thunderers, khemist, 2 frigates, and finish the 30 arknaughts and admiral........

That reminds me, I need to get 500 more points painted for that too!

Archived