Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

1 hour ago, Zahaladune said:

So, got some questions for the group.  I know I'm reaching a bit, but hear me out and give some feedback.

The SkyVessels model the Navigator on the outside of the ship, as if the navigator is meant to be vigilant in his duties.  Modeled this way, my navigator can see the ships in his fleet, as well as his own.  Does this allow me to use the Aetheric Navigation ability while the model is embarked? 

I know the rules clearly state he can use his own ability while embarked -for his own ship- but was hoping someone could give me some opinion on this.  Seems like you are not supposed to, but I wouldn't be a good Mhornarigan if I didn't try to bend things to my benefit.

P.S. can the Nav. unbind spells while embarked?  If none of these things, this guy has no role on the ship, and might as well be a backline unit, thus making the SkyVessel modeling pointless.  Maybe an argument for RAI, but but not RAW; seems stupid to model him on there when he will never be taken as such without these amendments to his rules...

The Navigator on the ship is a different guy than the Hero Navigator, so ships can't see other ships and get the 1d3 move.  You don't get to unbind while on a ship (or cannot do anything on a ship unless the rule for the ability itself specifically says you can do it while embarked).  

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

One of the Kharadron code options (he who strikes first strikes hardest) allows a unit to make a charge move in the hero phase, im trying to work out what benefit this brings as it does not allow you to attack as part of the move?  I dont understand what benefit this brings vs just charging in the charge phase, other than possibly getting you a little closer range for shooting, but you could get that with a move anyway?

23 minutes ago, stato said:

Hi guys,

One of the Kharadron code options (he who strikes first strikes hardest) allows a unit to make a charge move in the hero phase, im trying to work out what benefit this brings as it does not allow you to attack as part of the move?  I dont understand what benefit this brings vs just charging in the charge phase, other than possibly getting you a little closer range for shooting, but you could get that with a move anyway?

I think this may have come up before, but with no concrete conclusion. I have a theory that there may be something in the upcoming GHB2 that might make this more beneficial. Otherwise, there's the closer shooting range, as you said. Off the top of my head, I can also see this giving you more room to disembark units from the same/other skyships in the vicinity, as by charging successfully you're clearing more room in a space that was previously occupied.

That's about it for now, I think.

34 minutes ago, The Traitor said:

Well, I see this as another chance of making a difficult charge, as if you fail it you could just try again on the Combat phase, so it is a gimmicky charge re-roll in my opinion... 

And under the right circumstances a chance to roll four times to get the range.

11 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

While it's an extra possible attempt, it's also one that takes place before the movement phase which could bring the unit into decent reach...

Especially when you consider its (normally) a once a game one unit use, when the alternative part of it is to pile in and attack as if it were combat phase. So youd only be looking to use it for the charge option if you were almost certain that by your next hero phase either you or your opponent wouldnt have any models left to make use of an additional pile-in.

Hmm, thinking again, it might have use to push a ship into the enemy, so letting you disembark its cargo closer. Or if a ship is becoming surrounded you could use it to move into the enemy, leaving a ship sized space behind it to disembark.  I always forget ships are units too.

OR

Charge your endriggers towards a unit harrassing your aetherchemist, so putting you in range of the chemists ability to buff their saws up.

Ok so im seeing options now. Not amazing ones but certainly useful and could be fun to use to play the Karadrons in ways the opponent wouldnt expect.

15 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Just because you don't drop on turn 1 doesn't mean you are losing.  You are still controlling their movement by the looming threat of your deep strike.  As long as you aren't losing objective points, you're fine.  The reality is that you'll still be putting pressure on them with your big block of Company and second frigate.  Sometimes the right answer will be to drop the frigate in front of the advancing enemy and let them beat on it for a round while dumping the Thunderers out the back (using the ships to body block and giving your other units more time to shoot).  

Regarding the riggers, the ship that spit out the riggers can advance in front of the khemist such that the Khemist has a chance to advance behind them and continue to buff the riggers (assuming that they didn't over extend themselves.  

So I realize its largely situational, but when unloading troops from a ship would it be preferable to body block With the nose of the ship or by giving them the large broadside?

I ask because if you give the nose it's easier for an opponent to wrap around and get those Thunderers into combat.  On the other hand giving a broadside pretty much seals the ships fate

21 minutes ago, Mikester1487 said:

So I realize its largely situational, but when unloading troops from a ship would it be preferable to body block With the nose of the ship or by giving them the large broadside?

I ask because if you give the nose it's easier for an opponent to wrap around and get those Thunderers into combat.  On the other hand giving a broadside pretty much seals the ships fate

Depends on your loadout i guess, short range grunstocks you might want to take the broadside charge on the ship. Dont forget grunstocks can retreat in the combat phase so if you get to activate them before your opponent attacks you could be ok. Place some endriggers with saws in easy charge for him and hopefully the opponent will make the wrong choice?

12 minutes ago, stato said:

Depends on your loadout i guess, short range grunstocks you might want to take the broadside charge on the ship. Dont forget grunstocks can retreat in the combat phase so if you get to activate them before your opponent attacks you could be ok. Place some endriggers with saws in easy charge for him and hopefully the opponent will make the wrong choice?

Fair enough, I just hope there's enough space in that 3 inch bubble you have to be in for riggers.  I have some of those but have not seen the base size yet.

33 minutes ago, Mikester1487 said:

Fair enough, I just hope there's enough space in that 3 inch bubble you have to be in for riggers.  I have some of those but have not seen the base size yet.

I was just suggesting an option to present to your opponent for them to pick as first combat instead of your grundstocks. It doesnt have to be endgriggers, it could be anything anywhere. If you are dropping a key unit in the opponents face due to the short range of your guns you either need to be sure there will be nothing of danger left to charge them or, have something else the need to deal with as a priority.  Engriggers are such a threat, they would be a pain to lose if the opponent picked to attack against them first, but if it keeps 10 grunstocks and a khemist alive, its probably worth the trade. 

Ah that's not so bad then at 30mm.  Stack the side your opponent may try to come over with 3 riggers and drop out the khemist and Thunderers from the other.  I'd load arkanauts in the ship as well, but the overburden Would slow it too much for my taste.

Question. 

I know flyers ignore models models and terrain for movement. Thematically it seems like unless you are locked in combat with a flyer that you should ignore the flyer for movement with other models as well. I really want the skyfarers (Thunderers) to be able to run away underneath a skyvessel. Think about it. You use aerherspheric endrins to alpha strike. Deploy in base contact with your boat. They get charged, the boat is pulled into the melee. You drop detonation drills, scoot the thunderes away underneath the boat. I want this to be a thing! 

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Sactownbri said:

Thoughts?

In theory, I think this is somewhat fine. After all, bases should be ignored and as long as the model can fit under the ship's hull, he could move underneat it too (this wouldn't be true of opponents who'd have to remain at least 3" away from the boat except when charging/in melee).

However GHB2 might make bases more important in Matched Play, for all we know...

18 hours ago, stato said:

Hi guys,

One of the other uses, although situational as all these speculated options are, you could attempt a disembark 3" from a unit, pile in and attack, then retreat in the movement phase to allow a different unit to charge/pile in.  Not sure this is a strategy you would aim for most games.

Hello!  First post, looking to get into Age of Sigmar because of the new sky dorfs.

What do you guys think of this Barak Mhornar list?  2k Pts:

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: These are Just Guidelines

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
Aether-Khemist (100)
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
Aether-Khemist (100)
Aetheric Navigator (100)
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 1x Aethershot Rifles
- 9x Aethercannons
12 x Endrinriggers (480)
- 4x Drill Cannons

War Machines
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Battalions
Iron Sky Command (80)

Total: 2000/2000

Thunderers, Khemists, Admiral, and Endrinriggers pile into the Ironclad to roll up on the enemy, while Arkanauts and Navigator hold the back field.

Will the mix of shooting, CC threat, and battleshock shenanigans be enough to be competitive?  Or do I not have enough bodies on the field? 

Ah that's not so bad then at 30mm.  Stack the side your opponent may try to come over with 3 riggers and drop out the khemist and Thunderers from the other.  I'd load arkanauts in the ship as well, but the overburden Would slow it too much for my taste.

Overload but make one a navigator and take Barak Zilfin. You get an extra d3" move. Make another an admiral and you can run and shoot getting an auto 6" run. You never want to charge with a boat anyway since the bombs only trigger on an enemy charge. So to sum up I thing the overburden slowness is a red herring that can pretty much be ignored if that's how you want to roll you pirates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello!  First post, looking to get into Age of Sigmar because of the new sky dorfs.
What do you guys think of this Barak Mhornar list?  2k Pts:
Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: These are Just Guidelines

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
Aether-Khemist (100)
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
Aether-Khemist (100)
Aetheric Navigator (100)
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 

Battleline
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 1x Aethershot Rifles
- 9x Aethercannons
12 x Endrinriggers (480)
- 4x Drill Cannons

War Machines
Arkanaut Ironclad (440)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Battalions
Iron Sky Command (80)

Total: 2000/2000
Thunderers, Khemists, Admiral, and Endrinriggers pile into the Ironclad to roll up on the enemy, while Arkanauts and Navigator hold the back field.
Will the mix of shooting, CC threat, and battleshock shenanigans be enough to be competitive?  Or do I not have enough bodies on the field? 

My only thought is that it's a lot of points into endrinriggers. I understand the desire to max them. I personally don't like any option other than a grapnel on them because I want them in combat. I use the thunderers for shooting and the 12" range has gotten them killed after a single round of shooting every game so far. I'm going to try out rifles to get the 18" range but keep a rend value.

6 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

My only thought is that it's a lot of points into endrinriggers. I understand the desire to max them. I personally don't like any option other than a grapnel on them because I want them in combat. I use the thunderers for shooting and the 12" range has gotten them killed after a single round of shooting every game so far. I'm going to try out rifles to get the 18" range but keep a rend value.

Id have to agree on the grapnel launchers, and 12 floaties with khemist buff on the saws is redonculously brutal! I also agree on the thunderers, im taking s unit of 10 with rifles personally. Mostly because i dont want to scavenge cannons or mortars. 

8 hours ago, Sactownbri said:

Overload but make one a navigator and take Barak Zilfin. You get an extra d3" move. Make another an admiral and you can run and shoot getting an auto 6" run. You never want to charge with a boat anyway since the bombs only trigger on an enemy charge. So to sum up I thing the overburden slowness is a red herring that can pretty much be ignored if that's how you want to roll you pirates.

I see your point but this admiral is taking Zon.

Archived