Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

Only Skyfarers, you can see it on the Warscroll which you can download for free from Games Workshop website :)

Many thanks for the clarification mate. It seems appropriate from a fluff point of view I guess for them to not let others on their ships. (now that I think of it other faction soldiers would also need special suits to be on board and live to tell the tale...):P

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They talked about the paint rule and they don't like it because it takes a lot of time painting an army and rules should be tied to the points. That's basically what that they said about the painting topic. 

My quick 2 cents on the painting discussion is that while I don't like the fact that you are forced to paint a specific scheme to use certain rules and if you do so have less flexibility to use your miniatures as you want to in relation to matched play.  If an event wants to enforce the painting restriction that is absolutely their choice and I would respect.  However I think think that it could call into question the idea of people making spectacular conversions that don't easily represent what they are meant to rules wise but that is another topic.

My problem is the inclusion of a named character from Barak-Nar with no rules that enforce the fact you would need to play a force from Barak-Nar to include him.  Which doesn't seem to be consistent with the approach that you have to paint a particular scheme to represent each sky port.  So I would hope that any event enforcing the colour scheme rules would also note that you cant take the named character outside of his themed sky port.

3 hours ago, Fulgrima said:

My problem is the inclusion of a named character from Barak-Nar with no rules that enforce the fact you would need to play a force from Barak-Nar to include him.  Which doesn't seem to be consistent with the approach that you have to paint a particular scheme to represent each sky port.  So I would hope that any event enforcing the colour scheme rules would also note that you cant take the named character outside of his themed sky port.

well, it also leaves room to make your own... i was thinking of a silver-surfer version of Brokk. for barak-Mhornar

9 hours ago, Fulgrima said:

My quick 2 cents on the painting discussion is that while I don't like the fact that you are forced to paint a specific scheme to use certain rules and if you do so have less flexibility to use your miniatures as you want to in relation to matched play.  If an event wants to enforce the painting restriction that is absolutely their choice and I would respect.  However I think think that it could call into question the idea of people making spectacular conversions that don't easily represent what they are meant to rules wise but that is another topic.

I might point out that these passages in the rule book aren't really "restrictions" per-say no matter what has been argued here. As such, the painting "rule" isn't exactly a rule; it doesn't share any common language with any current rules in the game as it stands right now. On top of that, it's not a hard "restriction" either (like say, having to include 3 battleline units in a 2k army.) It's ambiguously worded aside that "may" have an impact on the game... or not; which means it doesn't really have any bearing on the game.  

As "what' it is; I'm fairly convinced that this is an editorial aside that doesn't apply to the game in any specific way. There's plenty of passages in the various books where the authors make suggestions that clearly aren't rules or meant to be used as rules. For example the Disciples of Tzeentch book mentions that "an army is meant for one thing, it's war." Are we meant to assume that just because it's in the battletome, I can't collect Arcanites if I don't intend to play games with them? No. There are a lot of things in the battletome; some of it's fluff, some it's designers options or thoughts, sometimes it's rules, and sometimes it's not. Just because it's in ink inside the book covers doesn't necessarily mean it's "absolutely' a rule. Even the strongest wording in the book regarding the meeting between hobby and rules is in the section re: magic items "Ideally... an artifact should fit the models appearance or the backstory you've given them." But again, this is an editorial aside meant to increase immersion; It isn't a rule. 

The hobby aspect of the game and the gameplay part of them game has always been separate entities that sort of "walk hand in hand". But just because they are walking together doesn't mean one dictates what the other can do. Hobby doesn't dictate rules no matter what the rules lawyers say. 

Paint them however you want, and use whatever rules you have the points for. 

Mine arrived with the mail today. Took a break from painting to assemble the ironclad because I was really excited about it. The kit itself is huge and fairly easy to assemble but I recommend to dry check often. There are some optional bits too like hanging pistols, crates and scrolls and the details on the ships and the crew are crazy.

Only downside is the tiny flight stand for the huge model. I reinforced it with green stuff but I still don't trust it. This army will be a pain to transport, especially when you have 4 ships. I don't care about those cheese lists with hordes of Khemists, my Barak Zilfin expeditionary force will rain destruction down on it's enemies from the skies.

[quote post="98229" timestamp="1494386462" name="Simhis" userid="
Only downside is the tiny flight stand for the huge model. I reinforced it with green stuff but I still don't trust it. This army will be a pain to transport, especially when you have 4 ships. I don't care about those cheese lists with hordes of Khemists, my Barak Zilfin expeditionary force will rain destruction down on it's enemies from the skies.

Battlefoam trays allow the permanent attachment of the flight stand if that is something you choose to do. I'm not endorsing Battlefoam, just pointing that out as an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Lecfast said:

On the port painting side of thing, can't we all agree that it is more of a ... guideline ... than a rule.

Hahahaha.

Sorry.

Haha that is perfect :D

Has anyone seen or figured out a good conversion for mortars?

Astra Milatarum have Grenade Launchers. They've also got mortars, and the mortars come with extra 'mortar' bits I was thinking about using to convert Aether-rifles into Mortars/Cannons. 

4 hours ago, kozokus said:

The ancient kit or the irondrake was almost made for this. Require   few additions  To not  be  too  lame.

The irondrakes look fantastic I had been focusing on 40k parts didn't even check the dispossessed stuff.

3 hours ago, Dez said:

Astra Milatarum have Grenade Launchers. They've also got mortars, and the mortars come with extra 'mortar' bits I was thinking about using to convert Aether-rifles into Mortars/Cannons. 

Oh I had not considered the ig stuff.  Probably would look much less like the functioning junk orks use as well.

2 hours ago, Joakim said:

What is the ancient kit?

The normal and only one, still aviable in the disposseded section of the site. I said ancient because it is quite outdated quality-speaking compared to the last release of GW, even if that kit is part of the latests additions to the dwarws of WHFB. The poses are very static and all the models have the same pose. Still there are very close to what ou can expect of a Kharadron with a mortar. The full plate armor no-skin is great.

99120205013_IrondrakesNEW03.jpg

Lurker here... I've finished my first two models - Admiral and Frigate. Slightly brighter Barak Ziflin scheme as that's who I'll be using for the Code. Gemstone paints are still wet btw.

Damn these stands are pretty ******. I plan to perma-glue mine in as I'll be magnetising the base to carry in a storage box anyway, but no way would these things stand up to constant unplugging and plugging...

18402979_651894488334667_8791929916038435650_n.jpg

18342645_651894448334671_8782167127434122780_n.jpg

18342216_651894445001338_5487100691827366572_n.jpg

18425464_651894425001340_4519363879189083453_n.jpg

18446572_651894418334674_9187863851551104368_n.jpg

I played a practice team game with my team mate last night vs Khorne Bloodbound. The scenario was 3 Place of Power. My team mate played Barak-Urbaz his list was:

Khemist

Khemist w/Earburster

Admiral

10 Arkanaut Company with 3 Light Skyhooks x2

20 Thunderers with Mortars

My list:

Khemist w/Earburster

9 Endrinriggers with 3 Grappling Hooks

Frigate with Last Word

We finished deploying first, and concentrated on the left half of the board. Our opponent concentrated on the right.

Turn one saw 3 Characters, 17 Chaos Warriors and lots of other stuff just dead dead and more dead from shooting. He ran up a bit and grabbed some objectives. Our stunty heroes are too slow to get objectives, we hung back.

Turn 2 our opponent wins initiative, and moves in for the kill. Well...would have, if he had more heroes left to buff things :) We resisted the charge pretty well with the exception of the Frigate being pulled from the sky by Skullcrushers. He scored more points. We then started shooting, and most of his army...was just gone. Endrinriggers double charged a hero and a unit of Chosen and erased them from the map.

Turn 3 we won initiative...and realized we needed to stop shooting. We had to get our Heroes on the objectives, and blunt our offensive. At this point he only had 2 Bloodcrushers, 1 Bloodwarrior and 3 Chaos Warriors left and we had no points. So we ran up on objectives, parked, and pulled punches. We controlled (to a degree) where he could go by charging in waves of Arkanaut Company and skipping pile in so we only had one model in contact with units.

So after this, we still managed to finish off the Blood Warrior and Skullcrushers (Bloodcrushers? The mounts?) with some lucky rolls. We then got our points up, and agreed to call it a game.

It was a brand new army for my team mate and I, and a new book for our opponent (he didn't have a team mate, but an army split in 2). The shooting the Mortars put out alone is insane, and this was a unit of 20. Light Skyhooks and Endrinrigger are the business...but not that impressed with the Frigate. Probably down to my usage of it.

I'm looking forward to more games!

1 hour ago, Dez said:

I played a practice team game with my team mate last night vs Khorne Bloodbound. The scenario was 3 Place of Power. My team mate played Barak-Urbaz his list was:

Khemist

Khemist w/Earburster

Admiral

20 Thunderers with Mortars

My list:

Khemist w/Earburster

9 Endrinriggers with 3 Grappling Hooks

Frigate with Last Word

We finished deploying first, and concentrated on the left half of the board. Our opponent concentrated on the right.

Turn one saw 3 Characters, 17 Chaos Warriors and lots of other stuff just dead dead and more dead from shooting. He ran up a bit and grabbed some objectives. Our stunty heroes are too slow to get objectives, we hung back.

Turn 2 our opponent wins initiative, and moves in for the kill. Well...would have, if he had more heroes left to buff things :) We resisted the charge pretty well with the exception of the Frigate being pulled from the sky by Skullcrushers. He scored more points. We then started shooting, and most of his army...was just gone. Endrinriggers double charged a hero and a unit of Chosen and erased them from the map.

Turn 3 we won initiative...and realized we needed to stop shooting. We had to get our Heroes on the objectives, and blunt our offensive. At this point he only had 2 Bloodcrushers, 1 Bloodwarrior and 3 Chaos Warriors left and we had no points. So we ran up on objectives, parked, and pulled punches. We controlled (to a degree) where he could go by charging in waves of Arkanaut Company and skipping pile in so we only had one model in contact with units.

So after this, we still managed to finish off the Blood Warrior and Skullcrushers (Bloodcrushers? The mounts?) with some lucky rolls. We then got our points up, and agreed to call it a game.

It was a brand new army for my team mate and I, and a new book for our opponent (he didn't have a team mate, but an army split in 2). The shooting the Mortars put out alone is insane, and this was a unit of 20. Light Skyhooks and Endrinrigger are the business...but not that impressed with the Frigate. Probably down to my usage of it.

I'm looking forward to more games!

I think in low point games frigates are not really useful because u can sit down behind ur line with mortars and buffing them with  the khemist

Archived