Character Flaws

chord

Backstory:  In our last narrative battle I had named my Gryphound Griffy, the Gryphound, and gave him the backstory of he has more courage than brains. I find this funny because after an attack he "darts" away.  In gameplay terms I translate this flaw to having Griffy attack the largest/most powerful opponent on the battlefield.  In the last game he jumped through a realmgate, popped out near Archaon, charged, attacked, did one wound and sadly darted away only 2"  This of course lead to him getting destroyed.  BUT the people playing were all cheering for him.

Griffy's character flaw gave him a personality and added to the narrative of the game.   I think giving units/models character flaws can help flesh out the story and get everyone involved more excited.

As a community can we work together to create a list of character flaws and how they translate into gameplay? 

Thoughts?

One of my most beloved characters (Wich one I have 3 versions of him) is Drukt'rum KornSmasher (Druk'rum AplaztaKhorne in spanish). At first he didn't had a name, he was just the Champion of a unit of Orc Boyz in a old campaing that we were running. His jump to fame comes when, being a lowly orc unit champion, he killed in single combat the Khornate Lord of Chaos of my rival in a duel that lasted 3 turns. (One of the things that I most miss from WHFB in AoS, duels). We were all totally amazed from that feat.

So I build him a new model. A Orc Big Boz in all of his glory! With our custom rules, after the Duel he lost an arm, losing 1 of Weapon Hability, so I model him without an arm. BUT! As he was he killed the Khornate Lord of Chaos, he now wielded his Chaos Weapon Axe of Khorne, and used his helmet as a banner in his back! (My friend give me leftover bits from his army to make this conversion). Thats we give him the Fear rule against Khorne models. 

But his legend didn't ended here. Two battles after, going again versus the Khorne army, my friend now bringed to the table a Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut. And, well. How could Drukt'Rum KornSmasher hide away from that enemy? It was a total suicide, but Drukt'Rum didn't care! He just goed ahead against the Mighty Lord of Khorne. 

And it ended how you can expect... with Drukt'Rum at only 1 single wound, and the Mighty Lord of Khorne smashed to the ground without his head! 

The Juggernaut of Khorne bowed his head agaist his new master, and then Druk'Trum KornSmasher become a new Orc Warchief, without an arm, with his Daemonic Axe craving for blood, in top of his loyal Khorne Juggernaut called Spiky, and with the two heads of his defeated foes in his back. He gained Terror against everyone for the rest of the narrative campaing :D 

Someones said that Khorne favoured Drukt'Rum after he killed his first champion. But I know that Drukt'Rum was always a chosen one of Gork and Mork. A shame I haven't it here to take the 3 versions a photo and show them! It isn't to my level of painting of today, but still, my favourite conversion to date. Because the history it has. 

I like this. A character flaws table would make a cool addition to some kind of character creation system. I remember in an old Space Marine codex you were able to take chapter traits that conferred bonuses, but for every two you picked you had to select some kind of disadvantage. Something like that could be fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the idea of giving some of your generals and heroes personality. I don't like the idea of turning it into a "system" whereby you know that every time x happens, that character must react with y. That turns it into a game mechanic rather than a role playing opportunity. I think it would be better to design the personality of the character and then ask yourself "what would griffy (or whomever) do?" when it's that character's turn.

On 4/17/2017 at 6:32 PM, Galas said:

One of my most beloved characters (Wich one I have 3 versions of him) is Drukt'rum KornSmasher (Druk'rum AplaztaKhorne in spanish). At first he didn't had a name, he was just the Champion of a unit of Orc Boyz in a old campaing that we were running. His jump to fame comes when, being a lowly orc unit champion, he killed in single combat the Khornate Lord of Chaos of my rival in a duel that lasted 3 turns. (One of the things that I most miss from WHFB in AoS, duels). We were all totally amazed from that feat.

So I build him a new model. A Orc Big Boz in all of his glory! With our custom rules, after the Duel he lost an arm, losing 1 of Weapon Hability, so I model him without an arm. BUT! As he was he killed the Khornate Lord of Chaos, he now wielded his Chaos Weapon Axe of Khorne, and used his helmet as a banner in his back! (My friend give me leftover bits from his army to make this conversion). Thats we give him the Fear rule against Khorne models. 

But his legend didn't ended here. Two battles after, going again versus the Khorne army, my friend now bringed to the table a Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut. And, well. How could Drukt'Rum KornSmasher hide away from that enemy? It was a total suicide, but Drukt'Rum didn't care! He just goed ahead against the Mighty Lord of Khorne. 

And it ended how you can expect... with Drukt'Rum at only 1 single wound, and the Mighty Lord of Khorne smashed to the ground without his head! 

The Juggernaut of Khorne bowed his head agaist his new master, and then Druk'Trum KornSmasher become a new Orc Warchief, without an arm, with his Daemonic Axe craving for blood, in top of his loyal Khorne Juggernaut called Spiky, and with the two heads of his defeated foes in his back. He gained Terror against everyone for the rest of the narrative campaing :D 

Someones said that Khorne favoured Drukt'Rum after he killed his first champion. But I know that Drukt'Rum was always a chosen one of Gork and Mork. A shame I haven't it here to take the 3 versions a photo and show them! It isn't to my level of painting of today, but still, my favourite conversion to date. Because the history it has. 

Very Very cool! I need more people like you to campaign with/against. 

Archived