40k player looking to start in Age of Sigmar

Hey all,

I'm completely new to Sigmar but my local shop runs tournaments for it and 40k. My main question is based around playing in a competitive meta, not super high end competitive but competitive. My question is what are each of these army's playstyles with a competitive list built strictly for tournaments? The armies that appeal to me the most are Death especially if I can run Nagash, Stormcast, and Khorne and Nurgle Chaos. If it helps any, the armies I play the most in 40k are Space Marines and Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum.

Death with Nagash - the only competitive build I can think of for this is tonnes of zombies. A corpse cart maybe. I've seen someone running neferrata at the same time for her ignore rend spell. Expect Nagash to die every time (bdum) but he needs to do enough to justify his points before he gets taken off the table. He's way overcosted at this point.

Khorne - run across the table and smash everything off in hand to hand. Little magic, little shooting.

Nurgle - waddle across the board and refuse to die. 

Stormcast - deepstriking space marines as states above. Loads of options.

Khorne and stormcast have the most options at this point.

That's unfortunate, I really like Nagash and he seems strong like a Warhound Titan in 40k but then again the Warhound isn't too hard to kill, so I take it Nagash suffers the same problems. Too costly for something that can get blown up on turn 1. What would compose in a competitive list for the other 3 lists?  Generally what units make the competitive list is what I'm asking and why? My buddy and I are thinking about getting a starter set and splitting the armies to get us a good start.

1 minute ago, spacemarine542 said:

That's unfortunate, I really like Nagash and he seems strong like a Warhound Titan in 40k but then again the Warhound isn't too hard to kill, so I take it Nagash suffers the same problems. Too costly for something that can get blown up on turn 1. What would compose in a competitive list for the other 3 lists?  Generally what units make the competitive list is what I'm asking and why? My buddy and I are thinking about getting a starter set and splitting the armies to get us a good start.

Probably best to ask in the appropriate sub forum - e.g. order for stormcast, chaos for khorne.

Nagash has the ability to cast 8 spells per turn but the rule of 1 means that in reality he is limited to 3, sometimes 4 occasionally 5.  If death got a spell lore (a selection of spells which can be taken as well as the ones on the warscrolls) then he would become an abosolute beast. 

I definitely understand that. That's pretty unfortunate about him though. I figured his double summoning would make him awesome plus a good statline from the looks of it. I'll definitely head to those subforums and see what can be competitive. I appreciate the help! Thanks!

2 hours ago, spacemarine542 said:

I definitely understand that. That's pretty unfortunate about him though. I figured his double summoning would make him awesome plus a good statline from the looks of it. I'll definitely head to those subforums and see what can be competitive. I appreciate the help! Thanks!

The problem with that is that in AoS (unlike 40K), you have to pay points for what you summon, making it a more flexible but less reliable form of deepstrike. So unless to field your initial army at like 1,000 point below strength, you won't be doing much summoning with him.

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

The problem with that is that in AoS (unlike 40K), you have to pay points for what you summon, making it a more flexible but less reliable form of deepstrike. So unless to field your initial army at like 1,000 point below strength, you won't be doing much summoning with him.

Ah, I see. So that definitely limits Nagash in tournaments but makes him busted in Normal games.

2 hours ago, Auticus said:

Nagash was pretty busted and OP (so would fit right in a competitive environment) when summoning wasn't hamstrung too.   When you could summon triple your army size in two turns for free, Nagash and Tzeentch armies with fateweaver were right at the tip of the min/max nadir.  

Then GHB came out and made you pay for what you summon so nothing was free anymore.  And thus Nagash and friends are but faint memories.

That's unfortunate, from lore and modelwise Nagash is awesome plus Necromancy is my favorite form of magic. So that's a real downer.

As of right now I'm playing a double Skyhammer Annihilation Force in 40k for tournaments. It's a very heavy Deep striking army, with extremely hard hitting potential from the devastator Marines and then the Assault Marines charge out of Deep strike. From the sounds of it, Stormcast is similar to my list. But I also like both Chaos armies I listed. I really enjoy playing it but I also really enjoy my Imperial Guard army.

Archived