Behemoths: the best

murf369

I think the frost pheonix is ine of the better ones.

Does decent damage with a rend. Being a hero from order means it can get access to some of the best artifacts for buffing a single unit. When suppprted by mages it can be very difficult to take down as ever spell cast around it also applys another mystic shield a 2+.

It crazy fast cabable of turn 1 charges. With a 4+ secondary save they arnt as afraid of mortal wounds as other monsters are.

1 hour ago, mmimzie said:

I think the frost pheonix is ine of the better ones.

Does decent damage with a rend. Being a hero from order means it can get access to some of the best artifacts for buffing a single unit. When suppprted by mages it can be very difficult to take down as ever spell cast around it also applys another mystic shield a 2+.

It crazy fast cabable of turn 1 charges. With a 4+ secondary save they arnt as afraid of mortal wounds as other monsters are.

Add to that the blizzard aura and it's hard to land those wound rolls.

Edit: Though, looking at the keywords, I think it's just a monster (not a behemoth).

The frost phoenix army I play against uses a Frost Phoenix which, with spellcasters, usually ends up at a 3+ save / 4+ ward save / 6+ ward save / 6+ ward save & -1 to wound aura around it.

Then it gets something like 12 3+/3+ rend -1/2dmg attacks, reroll failed wounds.

So yeah it's a big fast flying unkillable offensive machine. It eventually dies, just takes a while.

-------

New Stardrake people are running with -2 to hit in shooting, 2+ save, and it heals on a 5+ save, or 6+ vs. rend -1. Seems really obnoxious.

Death's Mourngul is pretty ridiculous if you aren't prepared for it. 3+ save, ignores rend, heals itself, -1 to hit aura (sometimes -2), and bunch of 3+/3+/rend 2/2 dmg attacks.

Buffed Necrosphinx can eat other behemoths with potential 10 mortal wounds + rend 3 attacks. Also 1/2's incoming damage.

Alarielle is pretty devasating. She can keep healing your team, flies fast, hit hard in melee and ranged. Powerful magic. Even gets to smash terrain (underrated).

Skarbrand is odd. You better not damage him unless you plan on kiling him in one go. Otherwise he just murders everything.

Maw-Krusha/Gordrakk are very scary. With Battle Brew they basically 1-shot almost everything in combat.

Frostlord on Stonehorn is also pretty ridiculous, but mostly because of battle brew making his horns 2+ or 3+ to hit. Then yeah its just a bunch of rend -, 1, and -2 attacks. High damage output, free mortal wounds just for showing up, also 1/2's damage. And boy is that thing fast. You will learn how not to deploy after playing against it once.

Bastiladon is probably the best shooting behemoth. Well either it or the Thundertusks.

I'm sure Nagash is crazy too but I've never seen him in a game. But he costs as much as an entire army...so...he should be scary.

25 minutes ago, mdkinker said:

Add to that the blizzard aura and it's hard to land those wound rolls.

Edit: Though, looking at the keywords, I think it's just a monster (not a behemoth).

Behemoth is a generals yand book term not a warscroll term as far as i understand.

I've only started out playing AOS but from what I've seen around the local GW, the bastiladon does seem to be an absolute champion.

You get the right buffs to hit on that thing plus its ignore to rend and 4+ ignore mortal wounds, it's an attention grabber and something your opponent needs to deal with in a game or else get shot to bits. 

Maybe not the best by a longshot, but my favourite at the moment is Drycha.

If she works right she can dish out some serious damage. I run her with Flutterflies for a laugh and try to get her into action quick.

But played against a Giant last week and the Club, Headbutt, Kick with rend -1/-3/-2 is a killer if it hits

23 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

The Jabber is a pretty good tool for dealing with high armour you can't get through as a Beastmen player.  For 140 points I don't think people outside Beastmen players are aware of its' road block potential.

I agree. I hate the model though. It doesn't fit with Beastmen.

13 minutes ago, Furious said:

I agree. I hate the model though. It doesn't fit with Beastmen.

yeah it was a bit of a let down.  Not sure why it was sculpted as a weird toad dragon... just rip off the jabberwocky and be done with it.  Or do a better sculpt.

1 minute ago, Popisdead said:

yeah it was a bit of a let down.  Not sure why it was sculpted as a weird toad dragon... just rip off the jabberwocky and be done with it.  Or do a better sculpt.

I've been (passively) figuring out what a good conversion/kitbash would be to make one. Haven't come up with anything yet.

I think Reaper did a rip-off sculpt of the Carol art of the Jabberwockey.

My original Jabber was an old DE dragon climbing over a tree drooling on an Empire Swordsman.

I think any dragon could work so if there is one, maybe the Warpfire, in particular it would work?  What about Mierce or Creature Caster?  Do they have anything you like?

Archived