Tactics Against Clan Skryre

MrCharisma

Ok lets do something different, lets talk compeditive tactics around this. Lets provide detailed deployment and tactical advice, the scenario used

to set the scene what i am

talking about

clan skyre battalion

stormfiends with warpfire throwers as your battleline

then multiple squads of warpfire thrower teams

basically what you need fits in a 2k army

it has no drops so it gets first turn in most case

2 tunnel covens come up, 1 in turn 1 next in turn 2

Just about all my testing was done in scenario 1 

the original OP is talking about this specific formation and tactics against it. If your a super talented general im sure most order people would love to hear more about the tactics used to win

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your not that familiar with the game but would like to put your points forward your welcome to, just make it clear its a suggestion or annocodtal evidence

just bear in mind that gryph hounds are limited here because the skaven sets up in the hero phase then gets to move before shooting to avoid the warning call. Someone mentioned earlier that stormfiends can only shoot 5" when they pop out however i cannot find this rule anywhere in thier entry, let me know where it is located if i have missed it

if you have tactics and placement ideas around this please be specific so it can be duplicated

im really interested in ideas from stormcast and other order armies

1 hour ago, Fellclaw01 said:

I have no idea what the hell you are saying

lol

poor english aside getting a bit bored and frustrated with all the people on this site re iterating the same ****** over and over again and making various personal digs - you dont know how to play and ******- then the same defective units then dont even know what list i am talking about. It gets frustrating when i have to keep hearing the same vague ****** and some pretty retarded ****** to boot (esl is no excuse)

Clan skyre is fine on its own, however the clan skyre battalion causes the issues

if you have beaten it great - im  all ears -how about post the list (to make sure its relevant) you fought and how you did it and how it went. But if your not playing against clan skyre with the battalion and the tunnels back to the kiddie pool the adults are trying to talk

Im not sure why its not in all the top tourneys, when i have seen it in locals tourneys it has cleared the field with ease. Went to a large tourney recently in melbourne (ghal maraz) and it wasnt there but i think looking at the armies besides 1 i think it would have had a field day

The English as a second language digs are just not cool man, even with expletives you should retract that.

As someone who has Eng main and has learned Swedish, I'd think it mean if Swedes knocked me for my language when trying to communicate.

PS I am not sure if English is your main language. Your post is full of errors - but forum posts can be full of errors no matter your strength in English.

So you be Eng main and make your mistakes, it's no big deal (unless you have just accused someone else of not being great at communicating due to English being their second language).

3 minutes ago, Turragor said:

The English as a second language digs are just not cool man, even with expletives you should retract that.

As someone who has Eng main and has learned Swedish, I'd think it mean if Swedes knocked me for my language when trying to communicate.

PS I am not sure if English is your main language. Your post is full of errors - but forum posts can be full of errors no matter your strength in English.

So you be Eng main and make your mistakes, it's no big deal (unless you have just accused someone else of not being great at communicating due to English being their second language).

Ok that post was me having some digs back for a change, its not meant to be a big deal. I am aware that I not a literary genius either.

if it makes you feel better ive been a bad boy

it really takes away from the OPs topic    So lets try and focus on that

My own back on topic question (and Im one of those who has yet to play it so its theory - but I'm still wondering) is:

The deploy in hero phase and move into the 10" warning cry of a gryph hound thing is certainly not great but does this not give you a chance to keep them out of range so that they need to try for the double (without getting off the shots round 1) or deploy within 10" anyway?

So you'd have the gryph hounds far away enough that the 10" bubble behind them reaches your deployment on the table edge (for instance) so that's 20" threat range they need - can their units make that up in one move with their shooting range?

Or does this require too many gryph hounds to be worth it?

++ Mod Hat On ++

@Fellclaw01 - Don't swear. Doesn't matter if English is not your first language or not, you need to abide by the rules. Also please calm down in this thread as we all need to be nice to each other

@ Everybody Else - If you are going to quote somebody, please use common sense and don't include the swearing! :(

its possible doable. but would require precision in the positioning or your having a rat bbq

does anyone have any experience in doing this? 

Any specifics?

i might get my mate to pull out his clan skyre and we can run a few tests of we can get some good ideas

im happy to build a list tailored to beat it, i mainly jave stormcast, elves, dwares and freeguild

On 2017-4-28 at 8:30 PM, Fellclaw01 said:

its possible doable. but would require precision in the positioning or your having a rat bbq

does anyone have any experience in doing this? 

Any specifics?

i might get my mate to pull out his clan skyre and we can run a few tests of we can get some good ideas

im happy to build a list tailored to beat it, i mainly jave stormcast, elves, dwares and freeguild

My group has a skaven player who has experimented with the skyre cheese.

The only time I've managed to beat him has been running 2k Aetherstrike with 15 long strikes (squad of 6 and 9) and two relictors both with lightning chariot.

Set up right on the board edge and sit there, birds and judicators are the screen, if he comes down and shoots them we shoot him back. Then lightning chariot off to objectives.

The problem is in some scenarios he can literally not deploy until turn 5 and then just take objectives. Its a gross match up with at least turns of seeing who will fold and make the first move, but it is winnable, (if he comes down and rolls bad)

On 4/28/2017 at 7:21 AM, Gaz Taylor said:

++ Mod Hat On ++

@Fellclaw01 - Don't swear. Doesn't matter if English is not your first language or not, you need to abide by the rules. Also please calm down in this thread as we all need to be nice to each other

@ Everybody Else - If you are going to quote somebody, please use common sense and don't include the swearing! :(

Is the mod hat that ridiculous pink thing?  

The way I see it a viable Tactic against the Clan is the exzessive Use of Cheap Units for Zoning around your Key Units. Make use of the high pice for the Formation that the Skaven player must spend and buy 2-3 Units of ten man squads of cheap units.

You might find something in the following article that helps you deal with the Clan:

https://aos-tactics.com/2017/02/21/zoning-area-denial/

• 1 year later...

Howdy folks,  

I ran into this Batallion a couple months ago and came pretty close to losing the battle, I thought it was great fun and it left me intrigued. Since then I bought the full battalion of figs so I could use it and lend it to others I was playing against. I really enjoyed playing against and playing this battalion because it is so at odds with my normal Free People's lists. It's all your eggs in a basket (and a fairly fragile basket it is at that) and most of the eggs are filled with wup-ass. 

My conclusion thus far is Free people is still better army and way more versatile, but against inexperienced or easily shaken generals the Clan Skryre battalion can just blow people off the table. It is kind of a trap battalion in that really rewards that first turn armegeddon tactic, you feel like you can beat anybody ... which of course means that you stop thinking about your own tactics and rather begin banking on the other side to make mistakes so you can zorch them. This is why is has not won the tournaments, a seasoned general will know what you are fielding and therefore won't be psyched-out when you dish out a huge amount of damage the first turn. Instead, he will use a combination of chaff troops to suck damage and block line of sight while he uses the line of sight changes and enforcing the target declaration rules firmly to limit him treating the shooting round like a buffet to mitigate what you can do. Remeber that if you follow the rules closely he has to state every target before he shoots those projectors, he doesn't get to choose after seeing results, this way he has to spend the 6d3 that each unit of stormfiends either overkilling a single target or spreading it thin enough that multiple units while seriously damaged will survive into battle rounds. And then keep in mind that in melee each stormfiend unit with projectors will be dishing out 6-8 wounds with no rend, so save save save against those. Also, the big plus of him throwing almost 80 percent of his army at you in the first round is that you will (if you're smart) have your units that are getting beaten to ****** within range of the generals and hero battleshock buffs. 

And what happens to a general who grown used to playing non-stop shop games and has gotten addicted to demoralizing his opponent instead of scoring objective points? answer: he gets shaken and demoralized. All most all Skryre clan generals fall into a really one-dimensional pattern because of immediate success and stop planning in their head for points, counter-attacks, and debuffs.  That's why they get shut down in the tournaments, so you need to play like a tournament general.  After setting your army out in a scattered cross-fire pattern with the larger numbered and cheaper troops filling space between you other units and the far battlefield  you back your important units to the 3" to the edges so he cannot deploy in your midst (remember those big-ass bases)  thus dictating his positioning as best you can. Then you make sure to engage the stormfiends with what survives so that you can dictate what unit he will shoot next time (remember he has to shoot what he is engaged with) .  After that you jump his heroes, he will only be able to afford 3 if he is running optimized, and then you pivot towards objectives and make him string out and with most of these Skryre addicts he will get cranky at this point because he wanted the one army crushing strike and you do nothing but feed the stormfiends battline and cheap troops and spell and shoot them into the ground turn after turn with the heroes gone. 

The Clan Skryre general's equivalent to another general's misery at being tabled in round 1 is to make that guys battalion crawl through all 5 rounds getting weaker and weaker every round. Don't let him give up in round 3 make him go the distance and beat him on points as well. 

Bye.    

Oh a couple other things, because I had to go for a sec there. 

-the battalion only has 85 wounds... 85!  that should tell you that it is a sprinter and it can not hang with most other lists over a full battle

-the scenery rules change makes Sylvaneth the Skryre slayer, two citadel woods (clumps not full wyldwoods, full three take up to much space together and hinder you as well as the stormfiend) every round of two rounds makes them damn near useless. Cant see? can shoot, my best mate lost his bloody top when a Stormcast general kept pivoting around a 

-D6 wounds if they are forced to pop up within 3" of an enemy rewards the crafty general who suckers the power-mad Skryre general in the first round.  

-Finally, if you are going to play a one-off against this battalion as opposed to a tournament, pick many lower cost units and ignore the BBG models to deny him the thrill of nuking 1/2 your points in one shot and make him grind. 

-With their large bases and shot melee range a goup of three stormfiends can be swamped and hit by as many as 54 models using 2" and 1" strikes wisely , remember the round base size and dimension allows almost no back stopping to the skaven player.

-Last tip, if you are feeling really clever, go counterintuitive and feed him a really big Carnifax distraction model you spent nothing on and eat em. 

Archived