Tactics Against Clan Skryre

MrCharisma

I think that people who blame this battalion, never claim a clue of AoS. It's kinda weird, plus that there's a lot of better lists. Hope you never fight against Stormcast reserves, Tusks, heck, even a well played Sylvaneth are is more dangerous than those.

ps: An hint. Stormfiends will shoot only with 5" range when they deploy. It's really easy to get your valuable units away from it, or sacrifice one of theme (bait) to get a bettere change for you.

More than that because Skryre will choose to go for second, try to get a double turn in a row. So you have an entire turn to move as you wish.

If the Skryre will rush as first player, remember to thanks him. Leaving you the chance to get the double turn.

...and if your list cannot create a meat shield of 5" (keep large that coesion!) then change that list!

Or play any deepstriking list.

Or any reserve one.

Or any evocation list. 

So many ways to go with! Never get lost against some Mortal Wound! This is Age of Sigmar, a brutal game.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Skyre Fire list is nasty and certainly is a hard counter for some armies. That being said, that is the nature of these types of games. No one army can handle everything. It eventually comes down to rock paper scissor match ups.

Skyre Fire is a lot like Bonesplitterz Kunning Rukk. It's a one trick poney that either dominates or is hard countered. They rarely win tournaments because the odds are good that during one of the 5 rounds they will run into its kryptonite. It's why they refer to them as spoiler lists. Impressive early on, but tend to drop off in the late rounds.

As others have said, chaff bubble wrap, gryphhounds, or mortal wound defenses are all great. What a previous poster said about splitting up your targets and forcing them to make decisions on what target to pick is also sound advice.

Line of sight is also required for the Warpfire weapons, so you can sometimes use it to your advantage terrain permitting.

Lastly you can go for the beta strike. Keep units in reserve, and let the sacrificial units get slaughtered, and then punch back with reserve shenanigans of your own.

So for those Sylvaneth players I would summon some woods to wrap around your units, and maybe give them some pause before dropping down. Scatter the rest. Once they go after the bait, counter with redeployment shenanigans of your own.

On a side note, the new overlords should be fine. They can just hide out in their boats and then shoot them to hell in return.

On 19/04/2017 at 6:20 PM, Siegfried VII said:

Guys please don't be negative. I understand that some of the people commenting here have more actual experience than others facing this list but you can't just dismiss ideas from others that still haven't or have less actual experience. I was of the impression that this topic was for us to come up with ways to deal with this battalion rather than just ranting and saying there's no hope and it must be banned etc...

Some of the ideas/strategies mentioned here, may or may not be effective in the end, but since these ideas are the purpose of the topic let's stay possitive and try some things. As much as an arguement that a player hasn't faced said list is valid it is also valid if a player hasn't tried some of the ideas offered by people here. ;)

I guess im getting sick of people who either havent played against a properly optimised lists or are purely theory hammering out ideas then saying that the battiion is fine. 

- grph hounds can be nuetralised as the battlion comes in the hero phase, then they move, the gryph hound ability only works when they are set up

- yeah stormcast/ slyvaneth/ beatclaws etc can absorb 20-30 mortal wounds no problems

- this one particular battalion caused our local scene to implode with heaps of people rage Quitung, its really not a fun army to play against

-went to ghal maraz tourney (approx 30 people) in melbourne recently, and this list was not there and besides my mates zombie horde list nothing would have lasted 3 turns against it. 

50 minutes ago, Fellclaw01 said:

- grph hounds can be nuetralised as the battlion comes in the hero phase, then they move, the gryph hound ability only works when they are set up

but then they have to setup outside 10 of the gryph hounds. Is the threat range of stormfiends 14?

So if the gryph hounds are 4" from anything else then skryre can't reach?

7 hours ago, Fellclaw01 said:

I guess im getting sick of people who either havent played against a properly optimised lists or are purely theory hammering out ideas then saying that the battiion is fine. 

- yeah stormcast/ slyvaneth/ beatclaws etc can absorb 20-30 mortal wounds no problems

- this one particular battalion caused our local scene to implode with heaps of people rage Quitung, its really not a fun army to play against

-went to ghal maraz tourney (approx 30 people) in melbourne recently, and this list was not there and besides my mates zombie horde list nothing would have lasted 3 turns against it. 

Why are your experiences more valid than the ideas of people in this thread? I have played against the list personally, it exists in my meta. No one rage quit, it loses a good percentage of the time. It's an optimized army that's probably just below Tier 1 because of the Scenario problems and poor matchups against some Tier 1 builds. If you want to rant and rave that's fine but your arguments are unconvincing. You seem to want everyone to agree with you that it should be banned and is a huge menace, that's just not the case. There are much bigger problems with the game if you want to go around banning stuff, and if that's the case then the game will probably only prove to be frustrating long term unless your entire meta is okay with several gentleman's agreements.

I am totally willing to do a Battle Report against the army with any Faction using an optimized list, heck I'll do a best 2/3. Would that assuage you? Probably not.

38 minutes ago, Gauche said:

Why are your experiences more valid than the ideas of people in this thread? I have played against the list personally, it exists in my meta. No one rage quit, it loses a good percentage of the time. It's an optimized army that's probably just below Tier 1 because of the Scenario problems and poor matchups against some Tier 1 builds. If you want to rant and rave that's fine but your arguments are unconvincing. You seem to want everyone to agree with you that it should be banned and is a huge menace, that's just not the case. There are much bigger problems with the game if you want to go around banning stuff, and if that's the case then the game will probably only prove to be frustrating long term unless your entire meta is okay with several gentleman's agreements.

I am totally willing to do a Battle Report against the army with any Faction using an optimized list, heck I'll do a best 2/3. Would that assuage you? Probably not.

I would totally be very interested in those reports. 

Just now, Aezeal said:

I would totally be very interested in those reports. 

I'll have to think of something to proxy since the army I actually own just laughs that list off and it wouldn't be very informative or interesting.

Some Disciples of Tzeentch bat reps I have seen have been dishing out mortal wounds in quantities similar to Skyre lists. One I saw last night was dishing out between 18-15 mortal wounds a turn just from spell casting.

So far I haven't seen a call to ban them.

12 minutes ago, bonzai said:

Some Disciples of Tzeentch bat reps I have seen have been dishing out mortal wounds in quantities similar to Skyre lists. One I saw last night was dishing out between 18-15 mortal wounds a turn just from spell casting.

Broken! Ban them! 

:^)

1 hour ago, bonzai said:

Well that is a lot per turn but not as much in a single alpha strike, and by casters that can be killed, and spells can be unbound right? (havne't played them yet and don't know the book).

Spells are also significantly worse than guns in this game because you cannot Move and then Cast. You can Move and then Shoot. It's very easy to stay outside of spell ranges unless you have an almost all melee army or get double-turned.

On 21/04/2017 at 0:30 PM, kozokus said:

I was thinking of an army that was focused on a full tunnel deployment. 

Only 5 brutes and a couple of Hardboys? that was not what i had in mind. That is only 15-20 mortal wounds. Where is the potential 100 mortal wounds dealt?

Ho come on. Why would your opponent drom his army to kill a single 40 point griphound. he only has to wait for you to drop! O_O

1 - I don't think many people play it that way, its not very viable.

2- 5 brutes and 10 aardboys is 35 mortal wounds. The army can't do hundreds (certainly not consistently)

3- Because it was take and hold and he wanted to attack the objective

Only 5 brutes and a couple of Hardboys? that was not what i had in mind. That is only 15-20 mortal wounds. Where is the potential 100 mortal wounds dealt?

Ho come on. Why would your opponent drom his army to kill a single 40 point griphound. he only has to wait for you to drop! O_O

2- 5 brutes and 10 aardboys is 35 mortal wounds. The army can't do hundreds (certainly not consistently)

38 minutes ago, KnightFire said:

THe spamming was unintentional I hope?

On 23/04/2017 at 4:59 AM, Gauche said:

I'll have to think of something to proxy since the army I actually own just laughs that list off and it wouldn't be very informative or interesting.

On 23/04/2017 at 4:18 AM, Gauche said:

Ok show us these battle reports. Like stated have seen a lot of ****** talking but 0% evidence

If you could could you post the list you have played against? Im interested in seeing if it is the same.

Also what  army would you be using, love to see stormcast

i didnt ban it, it was initalised by the guy who was using the list due to the salt it was causing and how a lot of people left the group

im happy to admit im wrong if proven otherwise

On 24/04/2017 at 7:41 AM, Aezeal said:

THe spamming was unintentional I hope?

On 24/04/2017 at 7:02 AM, KnightFire said:

If you arent doing the full tunneling skyre with warpfire you have no idea about what we are talking about

1 hour ago, Fellclaw01 said:

If you arent doing the full tunneling skyre with warpfire you have no idea about what we are talking about

Ah yes, that must be it! It can't be that the army is beatable.

Full tunnelling warpfire armies are terrible in all of the scenarios, but as I have said, its about making them decide where to come up by giving them multiple options, then working around that. It's not that hard. 

BTW: There wasnt a single full tunneling skyre army at SCGT last weekend that I saw, and if it was really a strong army it would have been all over the place (like skyfires, stonehorn rukk, etc were).

1 hour ago, KnightFire said:

Ah yes, that must be it! It can't be that the army is beatable.

Full tunnelling warpfire armies are terrible in all of the scenarios, but as I have said, its about making them decide where to come up by giving them multiple options, then working around that. It's not that hard. 

BTW: There wasnt a single full tunneling skyre army at SCGT last weekend that I saw, and if it was really a strong army it would have been all over the place (like skyfires, stonehorn rukk, etc were).

I have no idea what the hell you are saying

lol

poor english aside getting a bit bored and frustrated with all the people on this site re iterating the same ****** over and over again and making various personal digs - you dont know how to play and ******- then the same defective units then dont even know what list i am talking about. It gets frustrating when i have to keep hearing the same vague ****** and some pretty retarded ****** to boot (esl is no excuse)

Clan skyre is fine on its own, however the clan skyre battalion causes the issues

if you have beaten it great - im  all ears -how about post the list (to make sure its relevant) you fought and how you did it and how it went. But if your not playing against clan skyre with the battalion and the tunnels back to the kiddie pool the adults are trying to talk

Im not sure why its not in all the top tourneys, when i have seen it in locals tourneys it has cleared the field with ease. Went to a large tourney recently in melbourne (ghal maraz) and it wasnt there but i think looking at the armies besides 1 i think it would have had a field day

Archived