Tactics Against Clan Skryre

MrCharisma

The army isn't unbalanced, it's just very good against elite lists. It would honestly lose to things that the armies it beats never lose to like Melee Hordes. Putting out Mortal Wounds is great until your opponent has 100 Models, then it's not so great. If someone knows how to deploy properly and defend the units that matter then the Skaven player has to go for the double turn, if they don't get it they likely lose. Warp-Fire Throwers are paper and Stormfiends aren't that durable. The army has no volume of attacks to get through low Armor Save models.

I think banning it is very short-sighted but that's my opinion. It simply has good matchups against the strong armies that exist now but it might never get to play against that at a tournament. Against everything else you're relying on double turn and Battleshock, both dicey. It also has problems with Objectives as I said and is particularly bad in Three Places of Power, three Heroes isn't getting the job done. The truly dominant lists are awesome at Scenario and will blow you off the table.

Skaven does feel bad to play against because there's little to no interaction but it is what it is and I think most armies can beat it. Sometimes you'll eat two turns of Warp-Fire, sometimes you eat two turns of Kunnin' Rukk/Skyfires/Kurnoth/Longstrikes too. It happens.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gauche said:

It simply has good matchups against the strong armies that exist now

Well, there is "good matchups" and "Hard counter". When you have to build a secific list to beat it rather than think of a way to outplay yout opponent, things got wong. As a Stormcast player or Beastclaw player i just can't think of a way to absorb 24-100 Mortal wounds when the ennemy army pops out and have something to retaliate after that (not counting double turn). Even with cunnin' deployment, you are going to loose more than half your army and a lot of army don't have unlimited expendable chaff to throw at the ennemy. 

It is almost as if Matt Ward designed this Bataillon. (sorry)

Any of those armies can absorb the alpha strike. You can set the line of engagement so that the Skaven player will have a hard time putting more than a few Mortal Wound models into your big pieces (dependent on Terrain and Base Size) but yes, you will lose if they get a Double Turn and they're the only army I've seen that's popular and has a single Deployment due to the massive Battalion. If they go first to try and limit your ability to castle up then they can't double turn you and have to win the game then and there, which again varies wildly depending on your composition and the table.

It isn't a hard counter, it's a coin-flip. If you're playing BCR and you lose your Grots but then get to go, that's the game in all likelihood. Note that I'm only approaching this from competitive on competitive list. If you're throwing together a random BCR, Sylvaneth, SCE, etc. list then yes you're going to get blown out. That works the same way as every other game, there's always tiers and levels to it.

The Skaven list is the most glass cannon thing you can build and has a lot of weaknesses. A guy in my local meta plays this list and he doesn't do as well as you'd think. It is very frustrating against and can be a big gotcha but it's not the end all be all, or at least I don't consider it to be. Honestly I wish it had MORE game against the gunlines (and I play gunlines!) because things are going to get very stale very quickly if the competitive portion of the game becomes gun vs. gun exclusively. Now that's only a worry for a very small percentage of the playerbase but I'm among that number.

2 minutes ago, Gauche said:

Any of those armies can absorb the alpha strike. You can set the line of engagement so that the Skaven player will have a hard time putting more than a few Mortal Wound models into your big pieces (dependent on Terrain and Base Size) but yes, you will lose if they get a Double Turn and they're the only army I've seen that's popular and has a single Deployment due to the massive Battalion. If they go first to try and limit your ability to castle up then they can't double turn you and have to win the game then and there, which again varies wildly depending on your composition and the table.

It isn't a hard counter, it's a coin-flip. If you're playing BCR and you lose your Grots but then get to go, that's the game in all likelihood. Note that I'm only approaching this from competitive on competitive list. If you're throwing together a BCR, Sylvaneth, SCE, etc. list then yes you're going to get blown out. That works the same way as every other game, there's always tiers and levels to it.

The Skaven list is the most glass cannon thing you can build and has a lot of weaknesses. A guy in my local meta plays this list and he doesn't do as well as you'd think. It is very frustrating against and can be a big gotcha but it's not the end all be all, or at least I don't consider it to be. Honestly I wish it had MORE game against the gunlines (and I play gunlines!) because things are going to get very stale very quickly if the competitive portion of the game becomes gun vs. gun exclusively. Now that's only a worry for a very small percentage of the playerbase but I'm among that number.

All nice words..still complete BS. The battallion IS overpowered and SHOULD be priced higher AS should the individual stormvermin units. (And ofc some of the other leading batalltions in the meta like kunnin ruk etc and stonehorns as individual model, if that all happens I could live with a slightly higher priced hunters (though personally I don't think bowhunters win games (melee hunters are awesome though), nor do most gunline strats)

Just now, Aezeal said:

All nice words..still complete BS. The battallion IS overpowered and SHOULD be priced higher AS should the individual stormvermin units.

If that's your opinion then that's your opinion. I've laid out my argument as best I can and strongly disagree with you. For what it's worth I'd be shocked if it changed because nothing about Skaven is burning down the world.

20 minutes ago, Gauche said:

If that's your opinion then that's your opinion. I've laid out my argument as best I can and strongly disagree with you. For what it's worth I'd be shocked if it changed because nothing about Skaven is burning down the world.

If other skaven stuff is underpowered they should get lower points, doesn't change the fact this filth needs points increase.

9 hours ago, Gauche said:

Mate id would love to see you play against my mate skrye list and see if you cant see how broken the formation is. I played a whole heap of different armies against and the best i lasted was 3 turns.

tbh i see a lot of people talk ****** about how they would beat clan skyre but none are talking from experience and suggest dubious tactics at best

it was banned because it was putting people off sigmar and thier well painted armies. Off the bat storm cast have very little chance against it, ironjaws sylvaneth and beastclaw raiders have no chance. By chance i mean actually getting a turn to do something

The only 2 armies that could really compete was boneslitterz (cunning ruck with all bows) and a zombie horde 

People forget that unlike every other army these things come up in the hero phase so can still buff and move to get thier weapons in range, this normally means that griffhounds are fairly useless

We have all had a much better time since this was banned people were rage quiting over this and selling armies. 

You dont see if very often esp in tournies as people would give you a 0 for sportsman ship just for turning up with it. Every tournie ive seen it play in it has won and i have never seen anyone enjoy playing it. It just turns up and cooks your whole army

Guys please don't be negative. I understand that some of the people commenting here have more actual experience than others facing this list but you can't just dismiss ideas from others that still haven't or have less actual experience. I was of the impression that this topic was for us to come up with ways to deal with this battalion rather than just ranting and saying there's no hope and it must be banned etc...

Some of the ideas/strategies mentioned here, may or may not be effective in the end, but since these ideas are the purpose of the topic let's stay possitive and try some things. As much as an arguement that a player hasn't faced said list is valid it is also valid if a player hasn't tried some of the ideas offered by people here. ;)

Guys and/or gals the point of this forum was for tactics against clan skyre..  not to rage against the skyre. I believe it is short sighted to blatantly ban anything, but that is my opinion and only I own it. As several people have taken their precious time to list out ways they have dealt with (skyre) which is no doubt a tough list it would be wise to apply those tactics in gameplay first and then comeback with things that may or may not worked before trashing on people's statements intended for help. 

My experiece against the clan skyre list, yes it's very beatable. Yes it is mission dependent to a degree and yes it is army list dependent. (You will not win 100% against skyre and they will not win 100% against every list) but isn't this the point of any game! If your list is falling underneath the unable to win category, apply deferent tactics or change up the list a bit. If your at a tournament you should be building a balanced list anyway since you have the chance of going against any type of army.  My list had a lot of elite units and heroes so I empathize with y'all on the low wound count. My current list has 113 wounds in total. The game can basically be won or lost in setup a lot of times. First and foremost you MUST have chaff units which at this point has been said. Screen your juicy units with chaff. If the chaff are Calvary bases then turn then longways to increase the range of the bubble screen, if it's standard 25s or 32s you'll probably want to measure each space to its max 1" range to again increase the bubble. I use 2 bubbles, 1 outter bubble and a secondary fail safe bubble in case he gets a double turn. You know the weapons range and threat range of the skyre list he is using so measure your bubbles accordingly. Yes your secondary bubble may in fact have to be a decent unit you don't necessarily want getting vaporized but that's the risk you take without a lot of chaff. 

Split your army up, yes it'll decrease some armies effectiveness. Especially mine but you simply cannot allow the skyre player to just plop down both of his covens in one spot on your entire army. Skyre after their initial shock phase are slow and rather weak. Use this to your advantage. If your have some fast moving Calvary or troops get them on the objectives fast unless you think it's more important to kill. Ive never had enough models on the board where I think I can duke it out, I have usually just a few heroes I find important "disclaimer sayl is one of those" and my elite units I need to weather the storm based on mission. If you were double turned, from this point on you cannot get double turned unless you in fact double turn them. Kill their heroes if that's important or kill isolated units if that's important, it varies dependent on the mission. But I'd tell you to utilize any advantages you have at this moment. Example, my army is very very fast so i would retreat away anything necessary and capture objectives in a cat and mouse game. My list was not built to counter them in any way, I just value movement so I built an army utilizing movement and charge bonus mechanics. 

side note: if your not playing missions and just playing to kill things then I can see why skyre have been banned. I guess my experience is from tournament play and prep, where missions are critical. Hope this helps anyone interested in learning about tactics against skyre bombs. 

19 minutes ago, Southern trolls said:

Guys and/or gals the point of this forum was for tactics against clan skyre..  not to rage against the skyre. I believe it is short sighted to blatantly ban anything, but that is my opinion and only I own it. As several people have taken their precious time to list out ways they have dealt with (skyre) which is no doubt a tough list it would be wise to apply those tactics in gameplay first and then comeback with things that may or may not worked before trashing on people's statements intended for help. 

My experiece against the clan skyre list, yes it's very beatable. Yes it is mission dependent to a degree and yes it is army list dependent. (You will not win 100% against skyre and they will not win 100% against every list) but isn't this the point of any game! If your list is falling underneath the unable to win category, apply deferent tactics or change up the list a bit. If your at a tournament you should be building a balanced list anyway since you have the chance of going against any type of army.  My list had a lot of elite units and heroes so I empathize with y'all on the low wound count. My current list has 113 wounds in total. The game can basically be won or lost in setup a lot of times. First and foremost you MUST have chaff units which at this point has been said. Screen your juicy units with chaff. If the chaff are Calvary bases then turn then longways to increase the range of the bubble screen, if it's standard 25s or 32s you'll probably want to measure each space to its max 1" range to again increase the bubble. I use 2 bubbles, 1 outter bubble and a secondary fail safe bubble in case he gets a double turn. You know the weapons range and threat range of the skyre list he is using so measure your bubbles accordingly. Yes your secondary bubble may in fact have to be a decent unit you don't necessarily want getting vaporized but that's the risk you take without a lot of chaff. 

Split your army up, yes it'll decrease some armies effectiveness. Especially mine but you simply cannot allow the skyre player to just plop down both of his covens in one spot on your entire army. Skyre after their initial shock phase are slow and rather weak. Use this to your advantage. If your have some fast moving Calvary or troops get them on the objectives fast unless you think it's more important to kill. Ive never had enough models on the board where I think I can duke it out, I have usually just a few heroes I find important "disclaimer sayl is one of those" and my elite units I need to weather the storm based on mission. If you were double turned, from this point on you cannot get double turned unless you in fact double turn them. Kill their heroes if that's important or kill isolated units if that's important, it varies dependent on the mission. But I'd tell you to utilize any advantages you have at this moment. Example, my army is very very fast so i would retreat away anything necessary and capture objectives in a cat and mouse game. My list was not built to counter them in any way, I just value movement so I built an army utilizing movement and charge bonus mechanics. 

side note: if your not playing missions and just playing to kill things then I can see why skyre have been banned. I guess my experience is from tournament play and prep, where missions are critical. Hope this helps anyone interested in learning about tactics against skyre bombs. 

It is, thank you very much!

9 hours ago, Fellclaw01 said:

Mate id would love to see you play against my mate skrye list and see if you cant see how broken the formation is. I played a whole heap of different armies against and the best i lasted was 3 turns.

Is he coming to SCGT? Maybe I can!

tbh i see a lot of people talk ****** about how they would beat clan skyre but none are talking from experience and suggest dubious tactics at best

I have played 3 different skyre armies, twice with stormcast and once with ironjawz, and have won all three times with a major victory, so its certainly possible, and thats based on experience.

it was banned because it was putting people off sigmar and thier well painted armies. Off the bat storm cast have very little chance against it, ironjaws sylvaneth and beastclaw raiders have no chance. By chance i mean actually getting a turn to do something

see above, its not a bad matchup for those armies really.

The only 2 armies that could really compete was boneslitterz (cunning ruck with all bows) and a zombie horde 

People forget that unlike every other army these things come up in the hero phase so can still buff and move to get thier weapons in range, this normally means that griffhounds are fairly useless

It isn't that unique, and its not really a very good trick when your comparing it to 2++ healing stardrakes, or letterbombs, or any of the other things you see at tournaments.

We have all had a much better time since this was banned people were rage quiting over this and selling armies. 

You dont see if very often esp in tournies as people would give you a 0 for sportsman ship just for turning up with it. Every tournie ive seen it play in it has won and i have never seen anyone enjoy playing it. It just turns up and cooks your whole army

I have seen and played against it at tournaments in the UK and had no problems, and sportsmanship has nothing to do with the army taken. I have seen it at tournaments without sportsmanship scores, and at ones with. It just isn't that strong a list compared to some of the real sharp stuff you see at tournaments. You don't really see it much because it isn't that great. 

None of the major events in the UK have banned it (or anything else) and its not setting the world on fire.

Fellclaw01  ahahahahahhah are you serious? for me you had a big trauma. sorry man but i can't hear that clan skryre has been banned because you and your friends are too much scarce for playing against. there are lists that are more power, and the skaven's  battallion doesn't even come close. If you don't win against a particular army, probably the problem is not of the army of your opponent, but your army, and you should change it.
when I'll see that in all tournament this list of the skaven wins all the highest positions, then I can agree with you, but for now it is just ridicolous.

I've played against the optimized Clan Skryre list on two occasions, easily winning both. I play Kunnin' Rukk Destruction which is an awful matchup for that army so the results weren't surprising to me. I'd play anything into that Skaven list and feel like I could win, as long as it was a tournament capable list of course. Some of the matchups are coin flips, that happens in Age of Sigmar right now. People in this thread would rather dismiss the tactics put forward and say it's OP, that's fine. People say the same thing about many other lists which has proven to not be true, it just depends on how you approach the problem. Hopefully some found what I had to say of use.

2 hours ago, Gauche said:

I play Kunnin' Rukk Destruction which is an awful matchup for that army

Certenly. However, non-horde army can just flip the table against that. 

Anyway, for my part i do not criticise the raw power of the list or the hard counter it provides, after all like someone says, 2++ healing stardrakes or Kunninrukk are on a similar boat.

What i criticise is that it is UNFUN™. Somwhere like the old Warrior Brotherhood, it gives you too much control on the game. The new Scion of the storm opened my eyes on that point. Allowing a player to teleport anywhere on the board, anytime, at any distance is far too "unfair". (I am playing Dredge/Adnauseam in MTG so i know a bit of things about "unfair"). No risk for a medium price. Plus no one is having fun. Of course if it delivers an ungodly amount of firepower it is even worse. (I am sure you would have a different opinion if the warpflamethrower was a medusa-type attack.)

5 hours ago, KnightFire said:

I have played 3 different skyre armies, twice with stormcast and once with ironjawz, and have won all three times with a major victory, so its certainly possible, and thats based on experience.

I would like to hear what thoses games looks like. How did they whent?

My personal opinion is that no interaction is unfun. Now some lists, like the Skaven one, can do that but it's more of a combination of abilities. For example, if you had a melee force drop in your face there's loads of interaction there. That's why Warrior Brotherhood was powerful but not oppressive, you still got to roll dice and make plenty of decisions against it. The Skaven list is non-interactive and I can absolutely see how that's boring to play against even if you win. That's why I described it as a coin-flip army, you might as well roll a d6 against your opponent to see who wins sometimes. But that is only true because it can bring guns into your face, which don't roll to Hit or Wound, and bypass Armor Saves. That's a very specific issue that makes the army boring to play against, and probably to pilot. It doesn't make it OP, to me, but it is something that could be changed for overall game health. I'd just like to see the other armies, including my own, which are oppressive while still being interactive, get looked at first. But I frame everything from a very competitive viewpoint. :]

I think its a problem when one list just lose if it goes against other list (Skryre vs Kunnin Ruk) and win when it goes against other lists.

Then we enter Warmahordes meta. Hard-counters and its a game of Lists, like 40k. The winner or lose should be decided in the battle, not in the writing list phase.

i was saying this to the argument that its ok because it can loose to some lists. I don't think thats a healty mentality to have to the game in general.

I think Age of Sigmar needs a Sideboard option, like Warmachine needed to add. That game is more list chicken than AoS is, AoS just has some hard counters. 500 Points to the Skaven list would give it a lot more options into hordes matchups and in turn give elite armies more options against those Mortal Wounds.

My local meta runs sideboards pretty often and it makes for much better games.

11 hours ago, kozokus said:

I would like to hear what thoses games looks like. How did they whent?

First time - with (old) stormcast using hammerstrike force, three places of power. I used prosecutors to bait my opponent into thinking I would push on one side, then brought my retributors down on the other side. The retributors pushed through his war machines from the back, and after he tunneled up on the wrong side of the board to be competitive he struggled to make his army relevant. He killed more of my stuff but I got the major on VPs

Second time - with Ironjawz using ironfist, border war. He took the first turn and took off 5 brutes and some aardboys. I ran at him, got the turn 1 charge and owned his point at the end of the first turn. Got the double turn, used gore gruntas to screen the back of my army and proceeded to clean up most of his army. Had enough VPs after the double turn1/2 that he was never really back in the game.

Third time - new Stormcast, take and hold, I deployed everything in the air except a gryph hound. He took first turn and killed the gryph hound, but did very little else. My first turn I just brought down some judicators on his flank and started shooting, he committed most of his army in the direction of the judicators so in my next turn I dropped on the other side and cleaned up from that side. He didn't leave enough on his point and I was able to clean up with paladins control both points for the win.

WRT sideboards - they used to be common, and I think were a good addition to the game. I would love to see them return.

I've dropped offline for the last few days and it seems there has been a healthy discuss in my absence. Thanks for the ideas. 

I have a feeling that my opponent was using the wrong rules against me, specifically dishing out d6's instead of d3's with his Stormfiends. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think he could have mathematically dished out the mortal wounds that he did. 

I've attached a picture of my deployment to this response. In the future I think I'll deploy my large bases (Hurricanum / Luminark / Dragon) against the edge of the table to reduce the areas he can deploy against. 

I don't think I considered the base sizes in my deployment, and could have spread out my dudes a lot more. I don't know if I have enough bodies to hide my big points from the 9" range. 

Upon greater reflection, perhaps I should deploy in the corner? This would even drop the areas of deployment down even further and increasing the bodies.

If this happens again, I dare say that I'll just refuse to play Clan Skryer and auto-defeat in a tournament. While tournament should be competitive it's also important to have fun... and I don't want to lose my passion in battle where I'm just a punching bag who can't really hit back. 

IMG_8227.JPG

39 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

I've attached a picture of my deployment to this response. In the future I think I'll deploy my large bases (Hurricanum / Luminark / Dragon) against the edge of the table to reduce the areas he can deploy against. 

Based on your picture, I have a few suggestions:

1 - Your list seems to be a collection of different units, without any synergy. Its not going to do particularly well against a competitive list

2 - It looks like you have given up at deployment, once your opponent pops up and starts shooting you, what will you do next? All you are doing is grouping your models together so he doesn't have to walk too far to kill them.

3 - It would be good to know what mission this is, I don't see any objective markers. You should vary your deployment according to the scenario

It would help if you can suggest what you hoped would happen with this deployment, were you planning on holding the stormfiends off with something while you shot them, or just flying over them with the prosecutors and dragon?

looks like you have plenty of freeguild to screen with, followed by some prosecutors perhaps in case of the double turn.

The big juicy targets look too far forward and there isn't much of a deployment plan.

Playing against a list like skryre, Frostlords or even hammerstrike are good yet painful ways to learn to deploy a little better.

It's a healthy growing process I've found! Take one's lumps and get better. So to speak.

Interesting points lads, though I completely disagree that this is not a competitive list or there was no plan. I've counter-punched and defeated many Stormcast, Seraphon, and other special deployments armies.

The deployment was better suited to absorb hand to hand combat than ranged mortal wound fire. I imagine that you (KnightFire) are not too familiar with the Collegiate Arcane, as the Luminark of Hysh (white model) provides a 6+ mortal wound save to the 10" bubble. This is why the models are bunched up.

Free Guild also have some wonderful counter charge and counter shoot ability within battleline, so what you're seeing above is preparing to absorb the initial hit then counter. 

I have acknowledged above that there are a few different ways to improve the deployment. It sounds like a lot of the feedback is revolving around deployment to defeat them.

2 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

Interesting points lads, though I completely disagree that this is not a competitive list or there was no plan. I've counter-punched and defeated many Stormcast, Seraphon, and other special deployments armies.

The deployment was better suited to absorb hand to hand combat than ranged mortal wound fire. I imagine that you (KnightFire) are not too familiar with the Collegiate Arcane, as the Luminark of Hysh (white model) provides a 6+ mortal wound save to the 10" bubble. This is why the models are bunched up.

Free Guild also have some wonderful counter charge and counter shoot ability within battleline, so what you're seeing above is preparing to absorb the initial hit then counter. 

I have acknowledged above that there are a few different ways to improve the deployment. It sounds like a lot of the feedback is revolving around deployment to defeat them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the reason you had so much trouble during the battle that the screenshots depicts, is that you prepared your army for a melee/close quarter attack against an army that just wants to shoot you with what is essentially a bunch of flamethrowers. There are times to bubble up and take advantage of the Luminark of Hysh, but in the above example, that's definitely -not- the time to do that. A 6+ save is awesome, but what good does it do if the cost of using it (the compact nature of your deployment) allows the enemy to deal more damage to the things you'd rather keep alive than if you stayed loose? 

As you assessed earlier, deploying further back along the edge, or in the corner, would have helped you out a lot - but you also have to create an area of denial with your meat-on-legs freeguild guards/riflemen, placing them, and whatever else you fancy sacrificing, upfront spread out like a minefield, allowing yourself as much space as possible to keep your more valuable pieces safe. The skaven player does -not- want to waste his damage output on your meatshields, and you should consider it a victory every time he is forced to fire upon lesser beings. 

If you manage to keep your valuable units alive until he's played his sneaky tricks, you shouldn't have too much trouble absolutely destroying his units in return. Them Skryre are squishies, and you've got a dragon. 

As others have said; deployment is key. 

(I also agree with the value of freeguild guard's ability to counter-charge/shoot, but don't expect clan skryre to do much charging unless they absolutely have to)

On 20/04/2017 at 10:28 AM, KnightFire said:

First time - with (old) stormcast using hammerstrike force, three places of power. I used prosecutors to bait my opponent into thinking I would push on one side, then brought my retributors down on the other side. The retributors pushed through his war machines from the back, and after he tunneled up on the wrong side of the board to be competitive he struggled to make his army relevant. He killed more of my stuff but I got the major on VPs

I was thinking of an army that was focused on a full tunnel deployment. 

Second time - with Ironjawz using ironfist, border war. He took the first turn and took off 5 brutes and some aardboys. I ran at him, got the turn 1 charge and owned his point at the end of the first turn. Got the double turn, used gore gruntas to screen the back of my army and proceeded to clean up most of his army. Had enough VPs after the double turn1/2 that he was never really back in the game.

Only 5 brutes and a couple of Hardboys? that was not what i had in mind. That is only 15-20 mortal wounds. Where is the potential 100 mortal wounds dealt?

Third time - new Stormcast, take and hold, I deployed everything in the air except a gryph hound. He took first turn and killed the gryph hound, but did very little else. My first turn I just brought down some judicators on his flank and started shooting, he committed most of his army in the direction of the judicators so in my next turn I dropped on the other side and cleaned up from that side. He didn't leave enough on his point and I was able to clean up with paladins control both points for the win.

Ho come on. Why would your opponent drom his army to kill a single 40 point griphound. he only has to wait for you to drop! O_O

Archived