How many armies 'survived' the destruction of the old system?

Just a little talking point as to which army you think best survived the transition 'unharmed'

Which armies have the same or similar organisation than they used to? Have remained effective in the same areas? Have retained the 'feel' of the army? Can operate effectively as a single army without needing units from other armies?

Following on from @polarbear I think both old armies that became destruction did pretty well. 

Most of the greenskin stuff is still here, and all the iconic units are just as iconic as always, and nothing got cut from the ogre book

To offer a counter point, I feel like high elves have taken the biggest hit moving into AoS (aside from the obvious TK and brets), they don't feel at all like a coherent army anymore as they have been split into a lot of different factions with very few units in each. 

Interesting topic, I look forward to seeing what people think

Depending on how the Wood Elves/Aelf Wanderers turn out, they might keep a lot of their old feel: a low model count of skirmishing troops (they may almost be closer to the old fluff, since you'd now get Glade Guard, Glade Riders and Wild Riders in loose formations, rather than ranked up, which never seemed right).

The Sylvaneth already have that feel (especially as the dryads originally skirmished), but who knows what plans they have for the Aelfs?

If the rumoured Alarielle huge model is true, I might finally get a model that does this image justice:

Ariel.jpg

ooooo, that would be something. Can't envision but then GW always smashes it out of the park with this big models.

After reading the Orion trilogy I was thrilled the 8th army book made them gritty and scary again, and taking perhaps the most cuddly-looking model in the range and turn her into some wrath would be epic sweet!

Archived