Special saves and damage redirection

swarmofseals

Question

There are a number of units in this game that get special saves when damage is received, most notably from the Death grand alliance ability, but also from many other sources. My understanding is that a separate roll is made for each point of damage that is applied after armor saves are failed. 

Additionally, there are models that have a sort of "Look out, Sir!" rule, where if they are close enough when a certain target receives damage, they can redirect the damage to themselves. A great example is the Tomb Herald, which has a rule that now reads: "Each time a Liche Priest or Mummy Hero from your army suffers a wound or mortal wound whilst within 3" of a Tomb Herald, he can leap in front of the attack. If he does so, the Liche Priest or Hero ignores that wound or mortal wound, and the Tomb Herald suffers a mortal wound. 

Thematically, it would make much more sense for this ability to occur after the wound roll but before the armor save (as the Herald is physically intercepting the incoming attack), but I'm pretty sure that this is not the case. After all, if this were the case then this would convert multi-damage attacks into single mortal wounds. I'm almost completely certain that it doesn't work like this.

Instead, I'm pretty sure that the Tomb Herald rule is considered for each point of damage received after the armor save.

If that is the case, then is there any official ruling on what order abilities must be used in when there are "special" saves that happen when damage is being applied in addition to damage redirection abilities? If the owner of the abilities gets to choose the order, then the ability becomes a lot more powerful as you can roll the special saves first and then redirect if they fail.

Please note that I'm not looking for conjecture here. Thanks!

3 answers to this question

There's actually a fairly extensive thread about this very topic somewhere on the forum (or some other forum). 

I'll find it for ya. Should save us some trouble, or at least provide some food for thought. I don't recall if they reached an agreement. Should sort you out :)

Here it is:

Here's another, a bit shorter one:

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

There's actually a fairly extensive thread about this very topic somewhere on the forum (or some other forum). 

I'll find it for ya. Should save us some trouble, or at least provide some food for thought. I don't recall if they reached an agreement. Should sort you out :)

Here it is:

Here's another, a bit shorter one:

Thanks! Based on the discussion in the thread here it seems like the consensus was that you can take the saves in whatever order you want. I hadn't even considered the obvious BS of bouncing wounds between two heralds, and I'm sure that would never fly in a tournament. 

If indeed there is a section in the rules somewhere that I had overlooked stating that when abilities trigger at the same time the owner of those models can choose which order they happen in, then it seems pretty clear cut. 

Archived