Lets chat: Beastclaw Raiders

Karchev23

While the overall feeling of the leak is one of generally being shafted, I've been thinking a lot about the change to Yhetees. Rules-wise I've always found them underappreciated, and their battleline condition made them very much never really fit into most builds.

Now, however, with the Frostlord requirement gone, and only the Thundertusk being required, it changes a lot of their value. We can battleline them with a Huskard, and I think that might just be a game-changer. Have a look at this:

Frostlord on Stonehorn
3 Huskard om Thundertusks, one is general
3x3 Yhetees for battleline
Butcher

2000 bang on, and the Blizzard-speaker circlejerk is back. The Frostlord doesn't have to be the general to use is Command Ability, and can still get our artifact. I look forward to trying this list... as soon as I get everything painted.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Payce said:

While the overall feeling of the leak is one of generally being shafted, I've been thinking a lot about the change to Yhetees. Rules-wise I've always found them underappreciated, and their battleline condition made them very much never really fit into most builds.

Now, however, with the Frostlord requirement gone, and only the Thundertusk being required, it changes a lot of their value. We can battleline them with a Huskard, and I think that might just be a game-changer. Have a look at this:

Frostlord on Stonehorn
3 Huskard om Thundertusks, one is general
3x3 Yhetees for battleline
Butcher

2000 bang on, and the Blizzard-speaker circlejerk is back. The Frostlord doesn't have to be the general to use is Command Ability, and can still get our artifact. I look forward to trying this list... as soon as I get everything painted.

I played against these beautiful yhetee conversions a few weeks back at a GT.  I made some mistakes and lost to his Thundertusk spam plus yhetee list in round two.  image-20180603_120247.jpg.e953f18d1dcbdb7d5a26a54e723ee3e5.jpg

1 hour ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Test game tomorrow, am I going the snvaldez special or blizzard-bois?

First time ever you can run 4 FL... you know you want too! am I crazy to consider the 4 FL on Thundertusks??? bring the ever winter I say

4 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I played against these beautiful yhetee conversions a few weeks back at a GT.  I made some mistakes and lost to his Thundertusk spam plus yhetee list in round two.  image-20180603_120247.jpg.e953f18d1dcbdb7d5a26a54e723ee3e5.jpg

These are great! Are they just flesh eater court thingies painted in a different colour or is there some conversion going on?

6 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

These are great! Are they just flesh eater court thingies painted in a different colour or is there some conversion going on?

They have fur sculpted from GS... Actually, I think I will try this, they look stunning!!!! Their bone weapons can be paired with Bonnesplitters weapons too for more variety...

kudo for whomever did them! Nice job!???

cheers

AJ

6 hours ago, hughwyeth said:

He sculpted the fur from greenstuff onto crypt horrors.  Here's his display board.  

image-20180603_115107.jpg.427fb0699dc0cd023ee14ebc6cf3b5dc.jpg

On 6/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, Payce said:

I like it!  I've been mentally playing around with variations on this:

4x Tuskard

4x Mournfang

3x Yhetees

3x Yhetees

Again 2000 points on the nose - with one of your Battleline being a melee threat with a bit more durability

Or a variant using Allies:

3x Tuskard

4x Mournfang / Stonehorn Beastriders

3x Yhetees

3x Yhetees

Butcher

Butcher 

Leaves 80 for some Endless Spells 

(You might take some Grots instead of the second Butcher)

It's a really subtle, but potentially significant change.

@svnvaldez what is your Stonehorn list?  I was thinking the Beastriders seem quite decent at 320, I could be tempted by a few of those in there. 

And each one you take (as well as filling up a Battleline slot) gives you 100 points to lob some Gnoblars in there.  People talk about needing a screen - which in some games is true - but in practice I think you will more often put them on the back board so they don't get under your feet early on, and can run onto objectives after you've done your clobbering.

The test game was good fun. I ended up playing against Bloodmarked Warband Khorne led by Archaon, and played the following list:

"The Svnvaldez Special"

BCR Allegiance, Ulgu Realm

140 - Icebrow Hunter, General, Everwinter's Master

120 - 6x Frost Sabers

1,680 - 4x Frostlord on Stonehorn, one with Betrayer's Crown

50 - Command Point

1990pts

We rolled up Gift From The Heavens from ghb16. I was going to use Doppelganger Cloak (to basically always attack with two big bois first), but in a sudden fit of idiocy I changed to the Crown at the last minute, and this was a huge mistake. 

He out dropped me, and that awful battalion rule is still the way 1st turn is chosen, so he got to pick, and so I got 1st turn.

-Round 1-

Rolled everwinter into fortifying hoarfrost, spread out the cats to be able to scoop up turn 2 meteor on my side. Frostlords run and charge up, two succeed at charges and two don't after rerolls fishing for 8, 9, 9, 10. Left one crashes into bloodsecrator/slaughterpriest/chaos lord man and does 1 mortal wound, the other lord tags 40 blood reavers and 5 wrathmongers and does 6mws, killing 2 mongers (in charge phase so we're safe). I activate the lord fighting his heroes and do 3 damage, missing almost every attack. Wrathmongers attack other lord and do 1 damage. I perform the brand new rotational pile-in to be able to attack reavers and with wrathmonger's extra attacks buff deal 21 damage. He attacks back with everything and puts 8 wounds on left lord and 2 on right lord. He spends a command point to not lose the remaining reavers to shock.

-Round 2-

I absolutely can not afford to lose this priority roll. I lose the priority roll. Hero Phase he finishes off left lord, jumps Archaon over the line and charges frostlord with artefact and instantly kills him from full life with the slayer of kings. He got within 3" of the 4th lord with pile-in and I swing back missing almost everything and do 4 damage to Archaon. Wrathmongers put 4 damage on other lord so he's taken 6. He swings back at the reavers and kills the rest. The meteor lands on top of his leftmost unit of 40 reavers and he scores 2 points. My turn the meteor falls onto my left cats (across from his left 40 reavers on their own meteor. I swing at archaon and miss a lot doing 6 damage. Wrathmongers do 2 damage to right lord, who misses with almost everything and does 6 damage, failing to kill the unit, so he attacks himself and andrew suggests I roll attacks against myself and so I miss with almost everything and do 3 to myself (take that, my bad luck power has become my strength!). Tied on points, basically whoever can kill the other's guarding unit (40 reavers or 2 cats and a hunter) wins. In that respect it doesn't look good.

-Round 3-

I win priority, roll within expected outcomes for the frostlord and overkill archaon by like 5 damage, but I'm still in combat with a chaos lord. Right frostlord retreats with a command point for 6 to run. His turn he charges that frostlord and kills him exacties. He charges final frostlord with random heroes and does some damage and I kill one of them but splitting attacks robs me of enough damage that two live. He uses damned to kill his bloodsecrator on purpose and then charges all his heroes over deadly and kills another for 8 blood tithe and summons a bloodthirster 9" away from the hunter and 2 frost sabers on their meteor and charges them. Could this be it? No, luckily bloodthirsters suck so in total he does one damage to the frost sabers and puts 6 wounds on the hunter (thanks, new mystical terrain!). Still technically in this.

-Round 4-

I win priority again, retreat with the frostlord with a 5 to run, and retreat with both the hunter and the 2 cats in two different directions but still 5.999" away from the meteor, scoring points. His turn he charges frostlord with two heroes and kills it after I roll a bunch of 2s, bloodthirster charges the hunter and I roll a million 6s to mystical, but fail one so he's dead. The demon is now within 6" of the meteor so GG. 

-Major Defeat-

Thoughts:

My last minute artefact switch was simply foolish and cost me dearly. Archaon took damage easily when I actually succeeded on hit and wound rolls because mystic shield is poop now. I lost a crucial, classic turn 2 double that deleted a frostlord entirely and tied up another one for the whole game, and rolled pathetically in all but 2 combats, though opponent was starved for blood tithe due to my constant missing, and had I been killing stuff the summon could've happened earlier which would have got him the win a turn earlier, so the outlook isn't good most ways you slice it. That being said if I had the Cloak and rolled normally it's quite possible they could have just killed everything. I had fun, which is more than I can say for playing beastclaw in the past like 7 months.

Guys, I’m toying with an idea here... with the Thuskard points drop, if you field two there is enough to buy a prismatic palisade... put a cheap wizard between the two Thusks and use it to cast the palisade near them, blocking fire lanes from pesky shooters but not in front of your own Thusks... as their iceball of doom hits on a 2+, no need for a To Hit roll, the palisade will not hinder our shooting, but will protect the Thusks... and you even get a Look Out Sir for the caster, as ge is near 3 friendly models: the 2 Thusks and the palisade itself!

what do you think? ?

cheers

AJ

A couple different lists:

frostlord on stonehorn 420 cloak

huskard on thundertusk 360 general/everwinter's master

huskard on thundertusk 360

butcher 140

6 icefall yhetees 240

6 icefall yhetees 240

6 icefall yhetees 240

butcher 140

6 icefall yhetees 240

4 mournfang pack 320

2 mournfang pack 160

thoughts?

52 minutes ago, Salarath said:

butcher 140

6 icefall yhetees 240

4 mournfang pack 320

2 mournfang pack 160

thoughts?

That's pretty similar to what I'm thinking, if I can come up with a Yhetee conversion I like.  Maybe swapping out 3 Yhetees for Frost Sabers, for variety's sake.

On 6/18/2018 at 2:13 PM, heywoah_twitch said:

He uses damned to kill his bloodsecrator on purpose and then charges all his heroes over deadly and kills another for 8 blood tithe and summons a bloodthirster 9" away from the hunter and 2 frost sabers on their meteor and charges them.

This is f-ing awesome lol

Morning all,

Thanks for all the great contributions made here over the last year. It's been a really good thread, but the time has now come for this to be locked as we move into the new edition. To continue the Beastclaw Raiders discussion, please head over here....

http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/18212-aos-2-beastclaw-raiders-discussion/

Chris

Archived