Lets chat: Beastclaw Raiders

Karchev23

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is a picture from the internet. It looks legit, but don't assume it's correct. 

Seems like Everyone's battalions are going up in points, not just ours, so parity there. Otherwise points changes seem OK to me. It's just a pity that the photo doesn't show what units are battleline - I'm hoping that Yhetees will be - that would make me happy.

Edit: Just noticed that there is no dot next to Yhettees - so I guess no change there :-(
And also rather worryingly, there IS a dot next to Stonehorn Beastriders, but no points change - so maybe no longer battleline? That would be a real downer, having them as battleline is one of the unique Beastclaw rules that defines them. Ah well, hopefully better photos soon.

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-20 at 11.12.32.jpeg

GW wisely kept frostlord on Stonehorn at 460, as it's balanced there. Increasing frostlord on thundertusk to 460 is curious, since the huskard is better for almost a hundred less points. 

Speaking of, huskard on thundertusk goes up 40pts to 380, an expected increase for our best dude. I was just hoping the Mournfang discount x3 offset the tusk increase x2 and it does! Fair. 

I loved Mournfangs before, and now they're well costed i want 8!

All the battalions but skal are now too expensive, but i didn't use any before since they priced you into buying the overcosted stuff already (or didn't work with a frostlord). This is a game wide increase in cost so it's fine (GW wants battalions to be a real investment now) , and just a BCR army problem requiring titanic amounts of our not-the-greatest dudes for middling bonuses. 

Edit: Wasn't sure if i could talk points yet, but this post delayed in my phone for hours then helpful man posted picture. sorry :D

1 hour ago, Jesper77 said:

Doesnt say anything about battlelines kn the description. Any gueses why? 

The photo has cut off the final column which is where the battleline and unique character stuff appears - just unfortunate that it was missed off, it's included in many other photos of other allegiences points tables (though partly cut off in many). Hopefully someone will post a better picture - or we just wait a week.

Unfortunately the Allie rule states that the Allie can not for fill any battle role requirement but counts as your max for battle role numbers. I was hoping to use grots for battle-line but that will not be possible. I have been taking the Hunter and a unit of cats, making the hunter my general just to fill battle line. This has never worked well because the Hunter is waiting in ambush or to far away to work as a general and inspiring presents does not really help me anyway. He also does not put out as much combat damage as I need him to. 

But looking at the new points I think this will be my 2000 point list change.

Old GH 2016 list                                                                                 New GH 2017 list

1 Ice brow hunter (general)                                                       2 Frost Lords on Stonehorn  (1 is general & has pelt)             

2 Frost Lords on Stonehorn (1 has pelt)                                   1 Huskard on Thundertusk (with cross bow)

1 Huskard on Thundertusk (with cross bow)                           1 Fire Belly  (allie)

2 units Mournfang Pack (2 battle line)                                     3 units Mournfang Pack (3 battle line)

1 unit Yhetees                                                                            2 units Frost Sabers

1 unit Frost Sabers (1 battle line)

Total 13 models 85 wounds                                                      Total 14 models 89 wounds

Just have to get the fire belly model and will try this for a little bit.

Wow, I've wanted to do a beast hammer for awhile, but that points increase is pretty rough.  If the theory is that the battalions had to go up as part of the cost of making 1 and 2 drop lists, I'm surprised that Skal got doubled.  It is a sort of small battalion and you have to take your frost sabres in sub optimal multi-unit setups, so really with that one you maybe like go from a 8ish drop 2000 points without the battalion to a 7ish drop with it, which hardly seems to matter.  I guess with the reduction to Frost Sabres you can get some of those points back with a minimum size Skal, but Frost Sabres were overcosted before (30 points a wound) so they really needed it for an actual reduction, not just to offset some other increase somewhere else. 

Do to many of the games requiring more models on an objective, I was hoping Frost Sabres would go to something like 5 for 100 points. That would make the unit 10 wounds like many other battle line units and I think comparable to most. Liberators were 100pts and they will beat 5 cats I think every time. Most of the older units like HE spearmen 80pts (10 to a unit) would be comparable to 5 cats And 5 Fyerslaye berzerkers were 80pts and they have the hair save. The best think IMO about the cats is the 9" move, but the die to a cold breeze

2 hours ago, Naflem said:

Wow, I've wanted to do a beast hammer for awhile, but that points increase is pretty rough.  

My idea exactly at first. But considering the big point drop for mournfang and gore gruntas the battalion actually costs less. Even so much that we can make it in 1500 point game (which was not possible before due to battleline requirement).

I just finished beasthammer, so I'm excited to try it out! 

1 minute ago, Kessler said:

My idea exactly at first. But considering the big point drop for mournfang and gore gruntas the battalion actually costs less. Even so much that we can make it in 1500 point game (which was not possible before due to battleline requirement).

I just finished beasthammer, so I'm excited to try it out! 

Oh I didn't notice that Gruntas also had the reduction, though in part they were probably too high before also, well that does help, though it's kind of like we're not getting as much reduction as a non-battalion crew would have..   

What are you guys cookin' with now that points and such are spoiled? What allies?

I'm bringing in some spells and gross meat power:

1x Frostlord on Stonehorn with Tokens of Everwinter and Everwinter's Master trait

2x Huskard on Thundertusk with Blood Vulture

2x Butchers with Cauldron

3x Units of 2 Mournfangs with Gargant Hackers and all the options (1 skalg with pistol and banner, 1 hornblower)

Pure BCR Allegiance, No Battalion, 1980pts

2 hours ago, Naflem said:

Oh I didn't notice that Gruntas also had the reduction, though in part they were probably too high before also, well that does help, though it's kind of like we're not getting as much reduction as a non-battalion crew would have..   

I think I'm gonna try Hammer at 1500 with the mins to fill in the battalion and an Icewind Hunter (general) and 4 Cats to fill out the remainder and see how it goes.  Maybe this week if I can bash some Gruntas together.  I'll let ya'll know how it goes. 

Also, wait, the Skald can have the banner??

16 minutes ago, Naflem said:

Also, wait, the Skald can have the banner??

Yep! Skalg is a model type, Horn Blower is a model type, and Raiding Banner is an item not a model type (they aren't Banner Bearers or any such thing).

People used to earlier versions of the rules just assumed they were, but in AoS the language is distinct.

I asked this a few weeks ago in the rules questions thread. Enjoy your squads of 2 mournfang that get all three options :D

A limitation on banners would be the FAQ'd gentlemanly rule about limiting the number of optional items in a unit to the number in the box they come in, so 2 per 4 mournfang models.

• 5 months later...

Unsure if this is the right thread to post in, but didn’t want to start a new one. 

With the admittedly fragile rumour of the tale of four warlords including 3/4 recently released factions, and the 4th being Beastclaws, what would you like to see added/updated for the army? 

Personally would like to see Plastic Yhetees, sabres and hunter, as well as a new hero/battleline. 

Reading these posts from a year ago, sigh, we were so young, then. We didn't even know about the nerfs yet

Anyway, since we're asking santa for gifts, I'd like to see heroes with command abilities, a thundertusk with the totem keyword (a mobile totem!), allegiance prayers and shamans, plastic yhetees with redesigned warscroll that come in units of 5, and reworked traits&artefacts. Less redundancy on abilities and effects as well. Also, frost-wreathed ice charting to lower range and not lower damage (which would fit the theme of us wanting to get our guys in there, and alleviate how easy it is to cripple them immediately).

Of course, to agree with you guys above, no more finecast!

Archived