Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

12 hours ago, adreal said:

While I don't know any points or anything like that, the fact we will get point drops, it makes me happy that I might be able to field waystone pathfinders with nice blocks of 30 glade guard and keep in my unit of reavers with wild riders supporting them 

I think it would be better if we keep archer units at 20 or even 10. Large blocks of archers doesn't look quite in theme for ambushing armies (in my humble view) you want small hard hitting fast units. Also Aezeal has a good point above on why they implemented Horde price drops in first place - it was to improve combat blocks (and steer AoS away from 40k style skirmish game). A points drop is needed for GG and  they should be 3+ to hit all the time not just at 20 as its very easy to remove the 3+ by killing just one model. At least they should copy the Dryads who only lose there bonus when below 12 models yet they come in 10s. 

The new AoS will see a lot more small fast units trying to tie up and deflect archers away from their key targets. I think wanderers will need to develop an MSU archer style force. One that has supporting archer units deployed in layers so they can shoot the weak chaff units tying up our stronger shooters and allow them to continue focusing on juicier targets. 

For example If you have 9 hunters with bows tied up by a few weak flyers or a chariot or something and you really need to take out a key hero you just lost a critical turn of shooting by the ony unit with the range to hit the enemy hero. If you have supporting Glade Guard further back or nearby you can overlap fire and clear them off you main shooting unit (hunters) so they can continue to be effective.

Imagine 30 Sisters of the watch - "loose until the last" makes the tactic of sending weak fast units to pin them down much less likely to succeed because they will be annihilated when they charge :D Sure we can use small units of eternal guard to block the chaff but there are so many ways around the battlefield now, teleporting, tunneling, flanking, flying, ethereal  etc. Relying on blocking troops may not be the best answer and grouping our shooters into one or two big blocks just makes it even easier for your opponent to nullify your shooting. I think MSU (Multiple Small Units) may be the way to go now - even if it means losing the sweet +3 to hit on 20 GG.

Also Wild riders may now be useful as anti chaff with their fast speed to intercept chaff and can also tie up enemy shooters.

What do you guys think? any ideas for how to deal with the new changes? 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're in a great position with the new shooting rules. Wanderer units can use Melt Away to retreat out of combat and then shoot whatever they want. And if the tied up unit is within 6" of the board edge they can use Realm Wanderers to teleport even further away from combat.

Opponents will need to completely surround Wanderer units to prevent a retreat so chariots and other small fast chaff won't be very effective against us like they would against a unit of kurnoth  hunters, for example.

2 hours ago, awcamawn said:

I think we're in a great position with the new shooting rules. Wanderer units can use Melt Away to retreat out of combat and then shoot whatever they want. And if the tied up unit is within 6" of the board edge they can use Realm Wanderers to teleport even further away from combat.

Opponents will need to completely surround Wanderer units to prevent a retreat so chariots and other small fast chaff won't be very effective against us like they would against a unit of kurnoth  hunters, for example.

Oh yes it's obvious yet I didn't consider that melt away means we almost never get shut down by chaff that way. How could i miss that lol.  but it wont stop opponents bringing lots of small chaff units to whittle down our archer groups. 

Well, I ordered another box of SotW today in anticipation - long had the desire to field a unit of 30, but only have 10 at the mo. I'm hoping points changes will allow me to squeeze them in.  I'm also hoping that we can ally in Idoneth as some of those defense Eels would fit in well as an anvil, esp with the SotT spell. I think taking two Spellweavers might also be a good idea as it seems magic will have a greater impact on the game (or an Idoneth Tidecaster for a -1 to hit spell with D3 MW ).  I'm curious to see whether the limit on the number of Heroes changes in the new rules.  All in all, I'm excited about the new edition. 

4 hours ago, WABBIT said:

Oh yes it's obvious yet I didn't consider that melt away means we almost never get shut down by chaff that way. How could i miss that lol.  but it wont stop opponents bringing lots of small chaff units to whittle down our archer groups. 

Before they can whittle us down, they have to catch us.  The more they spend on chaff, the less they can spend on the more powerful units that are not so easy to take down. 

Holding objectives is still going to be the crucial thing, so I'm interested to see what tweaks they've made to the 6 from GHB17 and what the new 6 look like.  That's going to be one of the determining factors.  I read somewhere that there's one where the objectives move around from turn to turn, which sounds like it should suit us.

A big unit of 30 SoTW would be a lot of fun, and would look awesome on the table. Currently I run 2x10 in my Waystone Pathfinders list with no Glade Guard and I'm torn between adding more SoTW or Rangers/Wild Riders with our potential point savings. Will need to see the points first.

59 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

A big unit of 30 SoTW would be a lot of fun, and would look awesome on the table. Currently I run 2x10 in my Waystone Pathfinders list with no Glade Guard and I'm torn between adding more SoTW or Rangers/Wild Riders with our potential point savings. Will need to see the points first.

I agree, it's hard to make decisions until the GHB drops.

34 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Hi guys, a quick question: Since SotW can be Wanderer battleline, is there any reason to choose Glade Guard over SotW?

Wounds on a unit drop damage output quicker on expensive units. A lot will of course depend on new points values and their damage output to points ratio.

48 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Hi guys, a quick question: Since SotW can be Wanderer battleline, is there any reason to choose Glade Guard over SotW?

In the old (or current I guess) edition the Nomad Princes Command ability is a lot better the the Waywatchers. Also the 1 off -3 rend was a god send. Use it early and it can easily take out a 7 wound hero to take down a feared unit.

1 hour ago, Cambot1231 said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/05/soul-wars-announced/#utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AOS&utm_content=AOSSoulWarsintheboxJun8

The section on "everspring swathe" has some interesting lore.... looks like our man Kurnoth is alive and well afterall... perhaps there is a model inbound  ?

Good call.

13 hours ago, Bohemond said:

Hi guys, a quick question: Since SotW canbe Wanderer battleline, is there any reason to choose Glade Guard over SotW?

'Arcane Bodkins' are the best attack in the game imo. You want to use the re-roll to hit from the Nomad Prince and the teleport/ambush with the battalion and alliance abilities, then you just move on a board edge within 20" of your target and delete them.  

On 6/10/2018 at 1:06 AM, awcamawn said:

I have seen the Generals Handbook 2018 in a GW last week. Didn't remember anything but SoTW will get 40 Points cheaper (so they are now usable as Allies), and Wildriders 20 Points cheaper. If I remember correctly the spellweaver will cost 20 points more.

These points stayed in my mind because I used some of them in my own project:

14 minutes ago, adreal said:

Wild riders 20 points cheaper seems nice, don't suppose you know of any change to glade guard?

only 20 points on wild ridersis better but hardly good enough.. they'd still be miles behind some of the competition.

I think SotW might be something for me to try if they drop that much points. The think is when I've been teleporting with 40-50 GG around the tabel edges it means that when staying in 6" you only can put 6 bases next to eachother... from the edge that means that if I want my backmost GG to hit on their measily range the frontmost GG are usually in the 13-14"range from the enemy.... which is pretty dangerous if you ask me :D.  And that is without a small screen of  EG or the teleporting characters. The more concentrated power in SotW might alleviate this problem a bit.

16 minutes ago, adreal said:

Wild riders 20 points cheaper seems nice, don't suppose you know of any change to glade guard?

Sadly I don't remember everything, but also don't want to leak anthing  (there must also be a point to buy the book ?).

2 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

only 20 points on wild ridersis better but hardly good enough.. they'd still be miles behind some of the competition.

The strangest thing with Wildriders is, why they don't have the option to equip shields (after they are part of the kit).

1 minute ago, EMMachine said:

The strangest thing with Wildriders is, why they don't have the option to equip shields (after they are part of the kit).

Actually that's true a nice "re-roll saves of 1" would go a long way to making them better.

12 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Sadly I don't remember everything, but also don't want to leak anthing  (there must also be a point to buy the book ?).

That's fair, I'm just excited for any and all info, the 30th is so far away

13 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

Actually that's true a nice "re-roll saves of 1" would go a long way to making them better.

small way, but with a points reduction it would certainly help.

7 minutes ago, adreal said:

That's fair, I'm just excited for any and all info, the 30th is so far away

Yeah I'm excited and I've not even play last months due to live and stuff (which is annoying but luckily only when I think about it, up side is I feel no pressure to paint anything either :D).

I have two lists with my wanderers/wood elves and Sylvaneth I usually enjoy and I use pack of 30 GG so I'm curious about what will they do. The drop on Sisters of the watch is tempting me to buy a box, they are beautiful...

Here are my lists so if anybody sees anything to change for good I would be thankful to hear it :)

Wanderers go: 

Heroes: Glade lord on Forest Dragon, Twilight sisters on forest dragon, Waywatcher adn Spellweaver

Units: 10 Eternal Gu, 30 Glade Gu, 5 sisters of the Thorn, 10 Namarti Thralls (I used to go 10 Tree Revenants), Treelord.

More Sylvaneth, with 7 magic spells per Turn:

Heroes: Alarielle, Treelord Ancient, Branchwych and Spellweaver

Units: 20 Dryads, 10 Eternal Gu, 5 Tree Rev, 30 Glade Gu, 5 Sister of the Thorn.

So 19 days left to go!!

Archived