Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

Hello fellow Wanderers,

at first I wanted to thank all of you for your intricate theories and mutual support, it has been inspiring. :) As the Lore about the Wanderers is scant I really enjoy the worldbuilding aspect that goes along with the creation of a Wanderer-Force. In all honesty we may have one of the greatest playgrounds when considering the nomadic nature of our army and the already mentioned aspects ranging from fea or forest spirit- inspired themes towards beastial and savage aspects or the possibilities of "Noble and Good Guy cliche Aelves". 

As some of you already mentioned the Idea of expanding the beastial-nature of some Wanderer units (or the trophy Hunting for that matter :)  )  I would like to shortly introduce my current wishlist of a  theoretical Wanderer-Army.

My current obsession is with nomadic  beast hunting and swift Wanderers roaming through the Realm of Ghur. A force mainly consisting of Glade Riders (I love the Models!), kitbashed Wild Riders, Sisters of the Thorn, A Glade Lord on Great Stag, accompanied by Hunting-Hounds,( repurposed Fenrisian Wolves), or kitbashing white Lion Cloaks to resemble Hides of slain beasts etc.
The thrill to me lies in the mounted aspect of it all, the question if an Army like this would be viable is really not important.

However currently I am building up a fairly standard force which consists of: 16 Glade Guard, 5 Sisters of the Thorn, 1 Nomad Prince, 1 Wayfinder, 1 Waywatcher and 10 Eternal Guard. (The Eternal Guard somehow being the victims to my first painting attempts) :D

Do you guys have any Idea where I could best acquire Horses used for example by the Glade Riders of the 6th Edition?

Let's hope for the best with the new Edition ^_^

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While they won't be the same, doomfire warlocks would be where I could start, kitbash them with glade guard and use them as reavers ( we will loose glade riders soon enough).

For your theme, wild riders and wild wood rangers would be a good start, maybe not the best options but would fit the hunter theme, and wild riders could be centaur types

Welcome @Aloth_Corfiser :)

You have some cool ideas for a list.

As Adreal said Reavers & Doomfire warlocks would be your best bet.

I love how everyone tries to use the Fenrisian wolf models (me included), shows how beautiful those sculpts are.

If you wanted to make a stag-lord, you could always convert a giant wolf rider from some of the othe Space Wolf stuff; or use Orion.

How cool would it be if we get free summons of Wolves in the new system? (Harkening back to Orion)  Think they will just keep the revival spell as it is with the spell weaver?  We may not have too much in the way of summoning in the new edition I suspect. ?

8 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

How cool would it be if we get free summons of Wolves in the new system? (Harkening back to Orion)  Think they will just keep the revival spell as it is with the spell weaver?  We may not have too much in the way of summoning in the new edition I suspect. ?

I'm hoping to convince my gaming group to let me "House-rule" this once they release the summoning dynamics.

Good call!

Thanks for your suggestions. :)
Indeed I have pondered on the Idea to create a Stag-Lord with a Fenrisian-Wolf Mount.  However I am still pretty much undecided on an overall theme for the army and easily get carried away by some possibilities. The Horses of the Doomfire Warlocks / Dark Riders are really menacing, perhaps a bit too much? ^^  Although there certainly is temptation to try them out, on the other hand they fit the whole beastial theme just fine.  :D   

54 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Thanks for your suggestions. :)
Indeed I have pondered on the Idea to create a Stag-Lord with a Fenrisian-Wolf Mount.  However I am still pretty much undecided on an overall theme for the army and easily get carried away by some possibilities. The Horses of the Doomfire Warlocks / Dark Riders are really menacing, perhaps a bit too much? ^^  Although there certainly is temptation to try them out, on the other hand they fit the whole beastial theme just fine.  :D   

It may be worth waiting for the release of the GH2018. The impression I'm getting is that you can choose which Realm you want your army to be from. I think may give you some further inspiration and customizability for your project.

You should definitely put some pics up on the gallery though :)

I'm a new player, and I'm interested in both Sylvaneth and a Wanderers army -- yes, you can blame Lord of the Rings probably! I was wondering if there's a good list / buying guide for a newbie since there's no Start Collecting! like Sylvaneth has. Thanks!

11 hours ago, esplanades said:

I'm a new player, and I'm interested in both Sylvaneth and a Wanderers army -- yes, you can blame Lord of the Rings probably! I was wondering if there's a good list / buying guide for a newbie since there's no Start Collecting! like Sylvaneth has. Thanks!

Welcome to the fold! It's a difficult one to answer so close to launch of 2nd edition and the next GHB.  No-one will know how their army will play in the new rules system, and within their own faction, and how any shift in points cost will affect particular units.  The only real starting point that probably won't change is battleline, which means Glade Guard or Eternal Guard (or Sisters of the Watch with a Waywatcher General) .  I can see Spellweavers being useful with their auto-unbind and Waywatchers have been good.  Fortunately, we won't have long to wait before the books drop and then we can start to see the new possibilities.  It's a good time to come on board - we'll all be finding our feet together.  I know I will be adding units; I just have noidea yet which ones. Welcome to interesting times!

11 hours ago, adreal said:

Has anyone tried converting the stage the sisters of thorn ride into unicorns?

Or does anyone know of a easy way to make some unicorns

I made unicorn horns on my glade riders. Prob just fine on the sister deer, you just have to cut off the old horns first  

Unicorn Horns are easy to make. I started with a paper clip mount, but any wire will do. Then I rolled some green stuff/epoxy sculpt into a thin string and wrapped it around. Then just cleaned up any weird spots. Took about 2 minutes a horn. 

On 6/1/2018 at 8:24 AM, Aelfric said:

The only real starting point that probably won't change is battleline, which means Glade Guard or Eternal Guard (or Sisters of the Watch with a Waywatcher General) . 

Are Sisters Battleline with Waywatcher?  I don't remember that in GHB 2017.

2 minutes ago, Orsino said:

Are Sisters Battleline with Waywatcher?  I don't remember that in GHB 2017.

Yes so long as your General is a Waywatcher, in the same way that Wildwood Rangers become battleline if your general is a Wayfinder.  This is all assuming Wanderers allegiance.  Since I only have 30 Glade Guard and 20 Eternal Guard painted, being able to use Sisters of the Watch as battleline has given me some flexibility.  Hopefully, that won't change in the new GHB.  Although with the hoped-for points reductions, I may have to bite the bullet and paint more GG and EG any way. :) 

8 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

Yes so long as your General is a Waywatcher, in the same way that Wildwood Rangers become battleline if your general is a Wayfinder.  This is all assuming Wanderers allegiance.  Since I only have 30 Glade Guard and 20 Eternal Guard painted, being able to use Sisters of the Watch as battleline has given me some flexibility.  Hopefully, that won't change in the new GHB.  Although with the hoped-for points reductions, I may have to bite the bullet and paint more GG and EG any way. :) 

Fingers crosed, do you think we'll get points reductions across the board or is it just gonna be SotW and GG?

Personally I'd like to see SotW and SotT both kicked down to about 180, GG down to 100 and Waywatcher down to 80.

29 minutes ago, Orsino said:

Fingers crosed, do you think we'll get points reductions across the board or is it just gonna be SotW and GG?

Personally I'd like to see SotW and SotT both kicked down to about 180, GG down to 100 and Waywatcher down to 80.

I really hope so, especially when you consider the changes to the shooting rules already announced.  I don't think the Waywatcher will go down - it's already a bargain at 100, and the Eternal Guard are only 80 or 210 for 30, so they prob won't move.  I can also see the Spellweaver going up to 100 due to the auto-unbind. Other than those, I think all units could see some reductions.  I'm also dusting off my Flamespire Phoenix as an ally in the light of free summoning ( although, to be honest, it failed to come back more times than it did when reinforcement points weren't required ).  The thought of being able to field 30 SotW is especially appealing. 

1 hour ago, Aelfric said:

I really hope so, especially when you consider the changes to the shooting rules already announced.  I don't think the Waywatcher will go down - it's already a bargain at 100, and the Eternal Guard are only 80 or 210 for 30, so they prob won't move.  I can also see the Spellweaver going up to 100 due to the auto-unbind. Other than those, I think all units could see some reductions.  I'm also dusting off my Flamespire Phoenix as an ally in the light of free summoning ( although, to be honest, it failed to come back more times than it did when reinforcement points weren't required ).  The thought of being able to field 30 SotW is especially appealing. 

I hope for a small price reduction in ranger too, they are a niche unit but even in their preferred role they are probably a bit expensive. (or the executinoners need to get a price increase... )

10 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I hope for a small price reduction in ranger too, they are a niche unit but even in their preferred role they are probably a bit expensive. (or the executinoners need to get a price increase... )

Compared to the deepkin thraws they are way over priced. I'm hoping for a price drop and wishing they could change the bonus to be wounds based not the MONSTER keyword (although I doubt it)

On 5/29/2018 at 6:25 PM, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Do you guys have any Idea where I could best acquire Horses used for example by the Glade Riders of the 6th Edition?

Where are you based? I have some I'm not using (unpainted etc) that you can have for the cost of postage. Think I still have the rider bits kicking around too if I look.

4 hours ago, Japanman said:

Will we be getting a Faction Focus on the community site? They have put up an index for the Faction Focuses so do you think yesterdays was the last one. 

They've said on the Facebook page that there will be some love for Aelves (haven't specified a faction) I'd be surprised if they didn't. They also posted an update to Nighthaunts so they've probably just don't it for housekeeping purposes.

Archived