Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

Yeah I agree, I'm not against the changes to shooting but they need to rebalance the points. GG should be 3+ to hit and -1 Rend all the time regardless of numbers or at least 12 like Dryads get so you can take some casualties. Maybe increase the range and make them 4 to hit in combat? its not much to ask for. Change -3 Rend to Mortal wound on 6's once per game? :D  Maybe make it hero Command ability linked?  A new Wanderer Spell? 80pts for 10 should do it and a discount for blocks of 30 -40. :D ok maybe 100pts? Anything but 120pts. They have 6 Save and one wound. Paper thin. 

I may get to use all 120 of my GG then...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Lordzombie said:

After hearing about the stories in the DoK tome, I can't see Wanderers ever making it out of the grand alliance book. Alarielle was the closest we came to having a god bring them back and I think Revanants are all we get. None of the other god aelves are going to make wanderers. Our one hope is Orion wandering in and bring them back from the outer realms. I will still continue to collect and play them. 

I think a giant Orion or leader behemoth character is exactly what the faction is missing currently.  The very fact that a large model like this is missing in the range gives me hope for a wanderers expansion on the horizon.  Throw in a big model and some elite guards to go with it and our faction would feel pretty rounded out.

18 hours ago, Lordzombie said:

After hearing about the stories in the DoK tome, I can't see Wanderers ever making it out of the grand alliance book. Alarielle was the closest we came to having a god bring them back and I think Revanants are all we get. None of the other god aelves are going to make wanderers. Our one hope is Orion wandering in and bring them back from the outer realms. I will still continue to collect and play them. 

Allarielle is no longer an Aelf, Goddess though she be.  There are three Aelf Gods and none of them cared for those Aelves that survived the End of the old world and dwelt at that time in Azyrheim.  They all went looking for Aelves in the other realms, though without success.  I believe that was because although they saw themselves as Gods, the Aelves saw them simply as Aelves, powerful but not worthy of worship.  So off they went to create Aelves who would worship them.  That didn't turn out well for Teclis; How well it turned out for Malerian  and Tyrion remains to be seen.  Morathi has lured those Witch Cults in Azyrheim with promises of resurrecting Khaine, a God from the world-that-was. If any of the old Aelf factions worship any Gods, it will be the Old Gods regardless of whether or not they still exist.  The Idoneth can will into existence a ghostly remembrance of Mathlann and Khaine's heart still beats;  in this world anything is possible.

12 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Allarielle is no longer an Aelf, Goddess though she be.  There are three Aelf Gods and none of them cared for those Aelves that survived the End of the old world and dwelt at that time in Azyrheim.  They all went looking for Aelves in the other realms, though without success.  I believe that was because although they saw themselves as Gods, the Aelves saw them simply as Aelves, powerful but not worthy of worship.  So off they went to create Aelves who would worship them.  That didn't turn out well for Teclis; How well it turned out for Malerian  and Tyrion remains to be seen.  Morathi has lured those Witch Cults in Azyrheim with promises of resurrecting Khaine, a God from the world-that-was. If any of the old Aelf factions worship any Gods, it will be the Old Gods regardless of whether or not they still exist.  The Idoneth can will into existence a ghostly remembrance of Mathlann and Khaine's heart still beats;  in this world anything is possible.

Wasn't Allarielle a High elf character in fantasy? Don't know how see managed to get involved with Durthu and that lot...

3 hours ago, GM_Monkey said:

Wasn't Allarielle a High elf character in fantasy? Don't know how see managed to get involved with Durthu and that lot...

I'm not too up on the end Times, but I believe that Alarielle was the Everqueen.  Isha, Goddess of Nature and fertility,  was poisoned and merged with Alarielle,  The Everqueen was traditionally Isha's sort of High Priestess.   This new Alarielle became tied to the realm of life when the realms were created, in the same way as the other Gods are each linked to a realm.  Isha was not an Elf per se and Alarielle since ascending to Godhood has set aside her ancient connections to the Aelves, even to the extent of abandoning the Wanderers.  Some may say the Wanderers abandoned her, but I disagree. 

I'm pretty sure the Wanderers are the descendants of the Wood Elves that abandoned the Forest and followed Araloth into the realms for safety. I think Isha picked Araloth as her champion or something. Now they go around placing runes along streams of life magic to strengthen the realm of life. 

Wasn't it Lileath, Isha's daughter and the Goddess of dreams, who made  Araloth her Champion and lover, from which union came a daughter.  It was Lileath who poisoned Isha, who was then in the guise of Ariel her Avatar.  I thought Lileath sent Araloth with their daughter to a secret magically created land to keep them safe, possibly with others.  The Wanderers are descendants of the Wood Elves who, I believe, survived on Mallus, the core of the world.

However, what happened to Araloth I have no idea.  It would be nice to think that the star Sigendil is actually the land that Lileath created and that Araloth resides there still with his daughter.

15 hours ago, adreal said:

I like those ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletters

Just like to say thanks for your comment.  I woke up this morning not too great and this just gave me a little joy to begin the day. 

On 5/24/2018 at 1:28 AM, Aelfric said:

Wasn't it Lileath, Isha's daughter and the Goddess of dreams, who made  Araloth her Champion and lover, from which union came a daughter.  It was Lileath who poisoned Isha, who was then in the guise of Ariel her Avatar.  I thought Lileath sent Araloth with their daughter to a secret magically created land to keep them safe, possibly with others.  The Wanderers are descendants of the Wood Elves who, I believe, survived on Mallus, the core of the world.

However, what happened to Araloth I have no idea.  It would be nice to think that the star Sigendil is actually the land that Lileath created and that Araloth resides there still with his daughter.

I don't think anything actually survived on mallus. It's just what Sigmar used to build his new realms around or from.. I don't think people lived there.

So i just saw they nerfed Arcane bolt and Mystic shield. It's not like Wanderers had a lot of way to dish out mortal wounds so that's annoying. Also Mystic shield is no longer +1 to save - its reroll saves of 1....does anyone know if it stacks with the Eternal Guards Glade Shield re-roll? 

They reroll 1 which goes up to 1 or 2 in cover. Could it be 1,2 or 3 with Mystic shield in cover?

Is that better as Rend wont affect re-roll?

AoSMagic1-May22-MysticShield4gz.jpg

50 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

I don't think anything actually survived on mallus. It's just what Sigmar used to build his new realms around or from.. I don't think people lived there.

Do you know how the different races, particularly Aelves, survived the End Times?  Perhaps they were just the lucky few who ended up scattered throughout the various Mortal Realms at the beginning of the Time of Myth and later discovered by Sigmar when He was shown the Realms by Dracothian.  It's hard to find definitive information about this.  I'm curious because the new Aelven Gods found no Aelves anywhere except Azyr, whereas I'm pretty sure they came across other races.  Any enlightenment would be gratefully appreciated.  I'm hoping the new book will give us more detail of the early Lore and the transition from the old world to the new.

9 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Do you know how the different races, particularly Aelves, survived the End Times?  Perhaps they were just the lucky few who ended up scattered throughout the various Mortal Realms at the beginning of the Time of Myth and later discovered by Sigmar when He was shown the Realms by Dracothian.  It's hard to find definitive information about this.  I'm curious because the new Aelven Gods found no Aelves anywhere except Azyr, whereas I'm pretty sure they came across other races.  Any enlightenment would be gratefully appreciated.  I'm hoping the new book will give us more detail of the early Lore and the transition from the old world to the new.

I was under the assumption the gods recreated everything from souls of the old world. Not sure how that ties in with Aelven gods having trouble making aelves yet while there are aelves around anyway.

13 hours ago, WABBIT said:

So i just saw they nerfed Arcane bolt and Mystic shield. It's not like Wanderers had a lot of way to dish out mortal wounds so that's annoying. Also Mystic shield is no longer +1 to save - its reroll saves of 1....does anyone know if it stacks with the Eternal Guards Glade Shield re-roll? 

They reroll 1 which goes up to 1 or 2 in cover. Could it be 1,2 or 3 with Mystic shield in cover?

Is that better as Rend wont affect re-roll?

AoSMagic1-May22-MysticShield4gz.jpg

Well, we don’t know for sure if it will stack but my gut says no. 

With the changes to shooting, I'm hoping we get some points reductions - possibly even horde discounts on missile units.  Will give the excuse to have 30 sisters of the Watch.  Anywhere around 540-580 for 30 range and I'm in. 

I love sisters of the watch but they are too pricey and feeble in combat. I've always struggled to get a decent sized army into 2k with my favorite models. I wants lot of glade guard but they need to be cheaper and better in combat than they are. I don't want to rely on them for combat but it makes no sense that elves are worse than goblins in combat...30 would be great - stand and shoot coupled with Melt away and a mystic shield may make them viable but they need a price drop.

I love Rangers but they are too expensive and niche for what they do so I can't fit many in - units of 10 don't feel right but it's all I can afford.  I end up using fillers from Wood Elves like wardancers instead. Much cheaper, more flexible, faster and more of them.

Wild Riders are too weak compared to other units for the same price - look at Gore Gruntas and you can see there is a huge gap between power level for the same price... 

Despite all the gripes I still do well with Wanderers/wood Aleves.

As for Mystic shield - it worked on all units before, it doesn't seem fair to change the spell to be useless on some units? key units like Eternal guard are nearly always the target for this spell as their job is to push up and hold. They need to drop the points of Eternal guard and other units with the re-roll save abilities if they won't allow them to benefit. They definitely need to drop the points of archers or increase their range/rate of fire or combat power - this could mean bigger armies and I can finally use more of my collection. AoS can feel a bit too skirmish for my liking.

Overall I like the changes coming for v2.0 especially for sylvaneth - cheaper Hunters and treelords (they woke up to the over the top price nerf coupled with high cost of battalions crippled Sylvaneth armies), summoning looks like it's finally fixed! Alarielle can actually use her summon once per game reliably... I think 2nd edition is going to be good. Not sure Wanderers will feature much or do well in it though. I think Orion is the best chance of a come back but I dont think its strong enough GW IP so he may get renamed or we won't get anything. Maybe Teclis will pull wood aelves souls out of Slannesshes ****** next? Bring soap! :D

Indeed it seems like mystic shield will be redundant on some troops, like eternal gaurd. However, old mystic shield was a little ridiculous on other troops like fulminators and Ishlaen gaurd. 

Remember, we don’t know all the rules and it’s only one spell. There will be many generic spells, even perhaps, wanderer specific spells. *presumptuous Yay* :)

7 hours ago, WABBIT said:

I think Orion is the best chance of a come back but I dont think its strong enough GW IP so he may get renamed or we won't get anything. Maybe Teclis will pull wood aelves souls out of Slannesshes ****** next? Bring soap! :D

I was discussing this with a friend of mine recently.

If they didn't want to give the Wanderers their king back, then it would be awesome is they gave the Orion (Avatar of the Hunt) warscroll to a Kurnoth Hunter (KH) Drycha level character (but without the BS 380 point price tag). Like a Leshin form the Witcher series.

I thought that the aesthetic would be fitting with the ungulate legs, and that the Orion model weapon/ability load-out basically covers all of the KH weapon choices, in one model.

If they wanted to expand with the Sylvaneth Hunter-war groves then they could have a KH character and even some Tree-Rev style Wild Riders.

I am totally wish-listing. Just like the hope that KH get a price drop so I can use a unit of KH in a 1000 Wanderers list instead of Wild Wood Rangers as a combat unit.

On a separate note, does anyone think that Wanderers will be able to take Idoneth allies, and are there any favourites jumping out at people?

Likewise any Wanderers units being favourites as allies for Deepkin? ...I'm assuming Waywatchers and/or Eternal Guard.

On 5/21/2018 at 7:43 PM, WABBIT said:

Yeah I agree, I'm not against the changes to shooting but they need to rebalance the points. GG should be 3+ to hit and -1 Rend all the time regardless of numbers or at least 12 like Dryads get so you can take some casualties. Maybe increase the range and make them 4 to hit in combat? its not much to ask for. Change -3 Rend to Mortal wound on 6's once per game? :D  Maybe make it hero Command ability linked?  A new Wanderer Spell? 80pts for 10 should do it and a discount for blocks of 30 -40. :D ok maybe 100pts? Anything but 120pts. They have 6 Save and one wound. Paper thin. 

I may get to use all 120 of my GG then...

I think that just making them 100 point would be acceptable.. but I would PREFER to have them  at 3+/4+ for 120 points and then a little extra bonus somewhere.

GW never dit discounts for archer and I think that is correct since they don't have problems with models NOT getting into combat like melee units.. I think this should remain, it's a good basic rule.

I do wonder if archers can still shoot their own opponents in combat now

19 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Likewise any Wanderers units being favourites as allies for Deepkin? ...I'm assuming Waywatchers and/or Eternal Guard.

I think it's a pretty save bet waywatchers will get a points increase so their effectiveness might suffer. They where very good for points.. and GW has a tendency to over correct (Kurnoths agree with me).

As much as I don't want this too happen, games workshop could just roll wanderers in with sylvaneth, kind of like the deepkin with the soulless guys and the guys with souls.  

Fluff could be that after the war of life allarielle found an abundance of aelven souls, so created them like the wood elves from the world that was.

Aelves are more shooty and understand way paths

Trees are more combat and can walk spirit paths

I can see a Soulscryer and some Ishlaen Guard being useful.  Keep them off the table until required..  You could have a unit of 6 or 2 of 3 each - total of 380 points; or some Thralls instead of Eels; or 3 Morsarr Guard and 10 Thralls, which would be 400 points.  Although, as Kurnoth's are dropping in points, you can get 6 of them on the table again.

I'm liking the idea of choosing the Realm your army hails from and then picking from the spell lore and artefacts available from that Realm. I do hope that this is the way it works in the new edition.  Those with their own spell lore already may have 2 to choose from but at least we will have a spell lore at last, even if it is not Wanderer-specific.  I'm tempted by light, seeing as we spread the light of Sigendil to strengthen the ley-lines, but Beasts is also tempting.  (If I'm honest, I could come up with reasons for all of them).

Sylvaneth have become a very distinct faction in their own right for too long now.  I can't see them reintegrating the 2 back into one faction.  I would rather Wanderers stayed distinct too.

(May have to paint that 2nd Spellweaver that's been looking at me for a while.)

So with the endless spells and new relics and stuff, what realms are people thinking of basing thier wanderers from?

I'm thinking of going Ulgu, and saying the realm wanderer ability is them using shadow magic

7 hours ago, adreal said:

So with the endless spells and new relics and stuff, what realms are people thinking of basing thier wanderers from?

I'm thinking of going Ulgu, and saying the realm wanderer ability is them using shadow magic

I've always really liked the idea of them being quite beastial.

We (as a gaming group) tasked eachother to write some fluff for our armies, and I came up with the idea that my Wanderers have settled on a temperate rain forest where the realms of life and beasts overlap.

The flora and fauna are that bit wild, and the Aelves were very much connected to the Wild Hunt of old. I like the idea of not dominating, but maintaining natural balance.

The allies that I tend to use are Sylvaneth (KH & Treelords), Frost Phoenix (my Quetzal), and sometimes an archmage (my old 8th edition converted mounted Beasts wizard "The Huntress"), or before the 2017 allegiance update my Glade Riders were on the board as Swift-Hawk reavers. 

My Wanderers travel the realms in search of trophy hunts so my general can trade the pelts for gold and jewels. Gold and jewels are popular with  female elfs, after all, and my general succumbed to vanity long before the end of the old world (which he fled/abandoned during end times).

Archived