Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

@Darksider sounds fun. Waywatcher units are great at units of 5. So are heroes. The wood elf gunline is the best part of my wanderer army. 

10 eternal guard are the best at holding objectives. Park them in terrain, lock their shields: your best 80 points spent. 

Hunting hounds are interesting. I saw someone run 20 as individual units. They were great at controlling the board, preventing charges and teleporting. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have a list idea worked out, and was wondering if I could get some feedback on it

Heros

Nomad Prince

-general mist walker

-forget me knot

Spellweaver 

Wayfinder

Waystrider 

-starcast longbow

Waywatcher

Battle line

20 glade guard

-full command

20 glade guard

-full command

20 glade guard

-full command

20 eternal guard

-full command

Other

5 sisters of the thorn

-full command

5 sisters of the thorn

-full command

Battalion 

Waystone pathfinders

Waywatchers are better that the other characters. 

2 units of sisters is a bit much. Better to take 1 unit sisters, 1 unit wild riders and take 10 extra eternal guard. 

Of course, this is assuming you have the figures :)

looks like a fun list! 

I know waywatchers are better, but I got a free waystrider, and I like the hail of doom arrow, it just seems fun.

The idea behind the two units of sisters is for one to cast thorns and one to cast shield, while my spellweaver can either bring guys back or arcane bolt as needed.

At the moment i only have 28 glade guard, 10 eternal guard, a waystrider and a kitbashed wayfinder. I have a nomad prince on order, so I can change things up, but real life means I also need to have money for other things.

People keep on mentioning wild riders, but I just don' see them doing anything that sisters can't, and sisters can also cast and unwind, what am I missing?

13 hours ago, adreal said:

People keep on mentioning wild riders, but I just don' see them doing anything that sisters can't, and sisters can also cast and unwind, what am I missing?

Sisters are better but switching a unit for Wild Riders gives you the points for another 10 Eternal Guard, and you really want lots of Eternal Guard. So it's a good choice if you already have enough Sisters.

I think Legends will be a nice thing and will complement wanderers.

I wanna see wood elf rise and be at same level as other units, I wanna see Orion and forest dragons so as eagles. And I think on GHB will be something to unify all aelvs or to let get together wanderers with wood elf without been allys... that thing is needed to implement on all the old elf factions, so as with some dwarfs and humans...

14 hours ago, adreal said:

So with the updated dark elf compendium, is anyone else worried about the future of wanderers in matched play??

I'm optimistic for the future of Wanderers in AoS.  They have been given allegiance abilities, reboxed on rounds, and a couple of short stories about a wanderer character have come out ( haven't read them yet ).  I don't think GW would have gone to this amount of effort only to shelve them.  The old compendium Wood Elf units will probably end up in Legends though rather than be re-introduced.  I'm even optimistic that Wanderers will eventually get their own battletome, once their role in the lore requires one.  This may be some years off, but my models aren't going away and I can wait.

15 hours ago, adreal said:

So with the updated dark elf compendium, is anyone else worried about the future of wanderers in matched play??

Not in the least.

From the Dark Elf Legends pdf, where they basically explain Darkling Covens aren't going anywhere: "We have also included warscrolls for Dark Elf units that fought in the world-that-was and whose descendents still fight in the Mortal Realms, the models for which are available as part of the Warhammer Age of Sigmar range. For example, a warscroll is included for Dark Elf Bleakswords, so that you can use the models as part of a Dark Elf army from the world-that-was. In addition, Bleaksword models can also be used with the Bleakswords warscroll in Grand Alliance: Order, as part of a Darkling Coven army from the Mortal Realms."

The factions that got allegiance abilities less than a year ago in the GHB aren't going anywhere all that soon. They are confirmed to be a part of the setting and lore. 

Their rationale explained in the legends pdf: "It is, then, an unfortunate truth that we can’t continue to sell and support every model we’ve ever made, indefinitely. As we make new models, and new books to explore their background and rules, we have to stop producing and featuring some older models."

But the Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers, Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn, and Nomad Prince kits are still relatively recent at only about 4 years old, newer than the Witch Elf/sisters of slaughter which were chosen to get updated rules. For now, the forest endures.

The latest info on Warhammer Community talks about allying  Deepkin in to other allegiances.  Is it safe to assume, therefore, that the list of allies for Idoneth also works in reverse and thus Wanderers can ally them in?

On 5/8/2018 at 2:54 AM, adreal said:

How can we make the giant turtle more wanderer like??

My plan is to glue a citadel tree to it's back.

So with the scrapping of the dark elves compendium should we expect the Twilight Sisters et al to be scrapped? This concerns me as I think the Wanderers really need their compendium units.

33 minutes ago, Orsino said:

So with the scrapping of the dark elves compendium should we expect the Twilight Sisters et al to be scrapped? This concerns me as I think the Wanderers really need their compendium units.

To be honest I've ignored compendium units for a while. They add options the core unit list sorely lacks but to be honest they've been out of production for a while  and scrapping those units was inevitable once GW made the Wanderers/Wood Elf split.

6 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

To be honest I've ignored compendium units for a while. They add options the core unit list sorely lacks but to be honest they've been out of production for a while  and scrapping those units was inevitable once GW made the Wanderers/Wood Elf split.

I like converting models so the compendium units being out of production was no problem for me.  The compendium units gave enough options for Wanderers/Wood Elves to function as a thematically unified faction, despite the keywords being taken away. 

It seems like the wanderers/wood elves are getting progressively degraded as a faction to the point where there are very few options.

13 hours ago, Orsino said:

I'e been thinking, and based off the size comparison gw put up, I think alariels beetle with the howada and eternal guard crew would work.

Looseng the compendium units does suck, but I have been looking at other grand alliance order units and trying to figure out how to convert them to the wanderer theme.

Skycutters with eternal guard crew and without the Lotheran decorations can fill the void left by warhawk riders

Witch aelves or sisters of slaughter could work to fill the void of wardancers

Hi Guys,

I've got a question about the Waystone Pathfinder battalion. How often do you deploy it off the field to start (and then bring it back on in turn 1)?

Even if I deploy it in the the deployment phase how often will I actually get to the use the Protective Valley in the first turn as what are the chances that they will be an enemy within 12"? Even if I win the deployment and make him go first chances are he'll be avoiding getting within 12" of the nomad prince.

Also have a got it right that you can deploy the whole battalion in 1 go?

50 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

I've got a question about the Waystone Pathfinder battalion. How often do you deploy it off the field to start (and then bring it back on in turn 1)?

The option to do so is nice, and it could be pretty useful against certain enemy armies. It's best used on battleplans like 'Starstrike' where there are no objectives on the board until turn 3. Usually I've found that deploying in a corner is almost as good for keeping your opponent off you turn 1, and that way you still get a hero phase to cast spells and use your command ability.

55 minutes ago, GM_Monkey said:

Even if I deploy it in the the deployment phase how often will I actually get to the use the Protective Valley in the first turn as what are the chances that they will be an enemy within 12"? Even if I win the deployment and make him go first chances are he'll be avoiding getting within 12" of the nomad prince.

I think the only time you will be able to use the battalion ability turn 1 is if the deployment zones allow players to set up right next to each other, and then you take the first turn and activate it immediately. Myst Walker could be a very useful command trait for your nomad prince in this situation, so long as your opponent doesn't have enough magic to quickly kill the prince anyway.

1 hour ago, GM_Monkey said:

Also have a got it right that you can deploy the whole battalion in 1 go?

Absolutely, this is one of the main advantages of taking a battalion! You do have some options here, depending on the situation though. The rules for setting up warscroll battalions are as follows: "When you are setting up, you can set up all the units in a warscroll battalion instead of setting up a single unit. Alternatively, you can set up some of the units from a warscroll battalion, and set up any remaining units individually later on, or you can set up all the units individually." The Waystone Pathfinders battalion additionally lets you set a given unit off the battlefield, so for example it gives you the ability to  set up all the units in the battalion on the board except for one that you hold back to set up as a individual unit. That individual unit can then be set up off the battlefield or set up normally, so you can choose to use the special deployment rule for the battalion on a unit by unit basis you can. This could allow you to hold back a unit of say wild riders off the field until after you see your opponent's deployment, which could be especially useful if your general does not have the Stalker of the Hidden Path trait to put them on any board edge anyway.

18 hours ago, awcamawn said:

...This could allow you to hold back a unit of say wild riders off the field until after you see your opponent's deployment, which could be especially useful if your general does not have the Stalker of the Hidden Path trait to put them on any board edge anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

I find Stalker of the Hidden Path hard to use after the initial development because of the 6" rule so actually being above to have my wild riders be able to appear behind the enemy lines whould be really useful.

Little consideration:

We know now GW won't release any other Aelves battletome this year, and we had 2 Order battlerome already in 2018. Although, lately, we had 2/3 (if you wanna consider MoN) GHB armies which received a battletome including Nighthaut . So considering the rumors are Slaanesh to be released next year (plans form a GW insider are to release 1 chaos god each year and we had 3 already), can we speculate on our Wanderers to be released maube mid to late nezt year? I think we would give a nice addition to the Order armies (considering a lot of mixed Order armies already bring SoT and GG as part of their core must have units). I tink al these thigs conidered I cannot see other Order factions having released a battle tome for. Fingers crossed

Archived