Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

Been playing these dudes for the last year, with mixed success. Full disclosure, blaming an army for repeated losses is lame... but I will probably do that anyway. Looking to see what other people have been trying, and hearing what sort of results people getting?

Started collecting woodies towards end of 8th just after the new book, halcyon days, bit the bullet and bought a substantial army. Since then have round based everything and added a decent amount of Sylvaneth (which for the benefits of this convo I'd rather not talk about as the solution to any shortcomings in this army). 

Have found the following fairly essential:

• Nomad Prince (legendary fighter & relic blade)
  • Shadowdancer (flying wardancers)
  • Spellweaver (mounted)
  • Glade guard block 30+ (alpha strike, sometimes 2 x 20's)
  • Wildwood Rangers 10+ (monster death squad)
  • Wild Riders 10+ (must remember these are not the killers they used to be, a bit of a wet noodle - but nice with spellweaver)
  • Wardancers 10+ (quick and surprisingly hitty or resilient)
  • Warhawks 3+ (objective claimers or bog stuff down and get healed by spellweaver)
  • Sisters of Thorn (started out essential but have dropped off radar a bit)
  • Waywatchers 3+ (battleline fillers basically. Undecided on wether to fieild more of these and less glade guard?)
  • Orion (used to love this guys combo with Wild Riders, till they removed that. Now gathering dust)

More recently have started fielding:

• Sisters of twilight (think I'm using them wrong. Also bit over pointed. Probably better held back, rather than flung forwards turn 1)
  • Lord on eagle (reckless and relic blade, combos nicely with sisters of twilight)
  • Waywatcher lords (these guys are decent out out a ton of firepower, might run 3 t SCGT)

Things I'm not using, which perhaps I should?

• Eternal guard (have 30 of these, used them a bunch early on but less so recently. Combos seem obvs with shield of thorns etc, so perhaps I should bit bullet and paint them?)
  • Sisters of Avelorn (Seem to work nicely with Eternal Guard, but not bit bullet and purchased any yet)

Battalions

• Waystone Pathfinders (seems pretty decent, but is a bit one trick pony and due to rule of bonus shooting whilst next to Nomad prince tends to mean you play refused flanks. Also seems a bit lacking in variety, no behemoths, no flying stuff)

Problems I'm encountering:

0 mortal wound output

Terrible survivability (eternal guard and healing spell withstanding)

Lack of stackable combos

Meh Batallions

Common lists I've been fielding:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders

Spellweaver on Purebred Steed (120)

Shadowdancer (100)

Nomad Prince (80)

- General

Waywatcher (100) Waywatcher (100)
Units
20 x Glade Guard (240)
20 x Glade Guard (240)
6 x Waywatchers (160)
15 x Wardancers (180)
10 x Wild Riders (280)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (200) 10 x Wildwood Rangers (200)

Total: 2000/2000
Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 5 (3+) Behemoths: 0/4 Artillery: 0/4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaders

Wayfinder (100)

- General

The Sisters of Twilight on Forest Dragon (420) Shadowdancer (100)
Units
10 x Wildwood Rangers (200)

10 x Wildwood Rangers (200) 40 x Glade Guard (480)
10 x Wardancers (120)
10 x Wardancers (120)

3 x Warhawk Riders (120) 3 x Warhawk Riders (120)

Total: 1980/2000
Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 3 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaders

Glade Lord on Great Eagle (120)

- General
- Command Trait : Reckless - Spirit Blade

The Sisters of Twilight on Forest Dragon (420) Shadowdancer (100)
Spellweaver on Purebred Steed (120)

Units

30 x Glade Guard (360)
3 x Waywatchers (80)
3 x Waywatchers (80)
10 x Wildwood Rangers (200) 10 x Wardancers (120)

10 x Wild Riders (280)
3 x Warhawk Riders (120)

Leaders: 4/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot see the reasoning behind the  choices.

EG and sisters of the watch seem some of the best options there are. Warhawk,  wildriders , waywatcher troops and even Wardancers much less so. more than 10 rangers seems overkill... maybe 20 in a 2000 point game with a monster haevy meta. 

I'M pretty sure Orion is over costed.

A forest dragon, so also the sisters need to be supported. They trade an strong attack and 2 wounds and mw breath attack for their breath attack ability... if you don't make optimal use of it it will certainly be over costed.  

I'D say the core of an army should be 10 EG, 10 rangers, 20+ gg, shadow dancer, a spell weaver (if nothing else for mystic shield)  and a nomad prince or waywatcher as general.

Next to that more gg or ww to fill Battleline,  maybe a fast unit as objective grabbers (sisters of thorn seem better than wildriders and waywatchers) but not to much.

If opponent is know heavy on artillery then more hawks for a combo with shadow dancer and getting a turn 1 charge on the enemy back lines might be an idea... but in my experience their damage is not so good.

Ok, how about this:

Allegiance: Order Leaders Nomad Prince (80)

Shadowdancer (100)

Spellweaver (100) - Heartwood Staff

The Sisters of Twilight on Forest Dragon (420)

Units 30 x Glade Guard (360)

3 x Waywatchers (80)

3 x Waywatchers (80)

20 x Eternal Guard (160)

10 x Wildwood Rangers (200)

5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)

10 x Wardancers (120)

2 x Warhawk Riders (80)

Seems OK. 

Waywatcher hero can be considered. (and sisters of watch as battle line)

Also since you are order allegiance and have quite some shooting gryphhounds might be an option.. doesn't really break the faction I'd say. But that would be mostly against teleporters of some kind.

7 hours ago, warhammernerd said:

Why would you pick waywatcher hero over Nomad prince? Surely re-roll 1's in shooting and combat is much better than his command ability?

If you are looking at Command Ability bonuses consider a Mage throne.  You need one guy up top (this is when taking two WW heroes helps) then the rest within i think 15"? can use their command ability as if they were the general.  It is also free.

If taking the WayStone Pathfinder formation where you need the many heroes this helps mitigate other choices and brings in a bit of diversity.  

Waywatcher heroes have always kinda sucked (they were okay in 6th when you could Terror-bomb within 2" hidden squigs from a forest) so I'm glad to see they add a lot right now and in all honesty if GW pushes them towards that more I would be fine.  

About the mentioned formation, if you take Wildriders as your tax but add a Forest Dragon to pair up with a block of 20 Rangers that is a serious combat threat.  You can then polish the turds that are Glade Guard and Sisters of the Watch get even more mileage out of them of which they are already fairly tournament competent as a unit.  

I have a list, what do you think guys?

nomad prince - general

spellweaver

GLoFD

waywatcher lord

shadowdancer

20 GG

3 waywatchers

3 waywatchers

10 sisters of the watch

5 sisters of the thorn

20 rangers

basically I'm going to rely on shadowdancer getting my rangers into prio targets, supported by my dragon and thorn sisters

however, I feel my shoots side of the army is quite unprotected. But, if anyone came close to them I should imagine they would take some horrible fire before reaching my archer line.

what do you think?

Nice list, but yeah your shooting is pretty fragile. I've found wardancers make a suprisinigly resilient roadblock. Either couple of units of 5 with protective dance in tandem with mystic shield 3+ 6++. The big points sink is the rangers, maybe field unit of 10 instead?

11 hours ago, Popisdead said:

If you are looking at Command Ability bonuses consider a Mage throne.  You need one guy up top (this is when taking two WW heroes helps) then the rest within i think 15"? can use their command ability as if they were the general.  It is also free.

If taking the WayStone Pathfinder formation where you need the many heroes this helps mitigate other choices and brings in a bit of diversity.  

Waywatcher heroes have always kinda sucked (they were okay in 6th when you could Terror-bomb within 2" hidden squigs from a forest) so I'm glad to see they add a lot right now and in all honesty if GW pushes them towards that more I would be fine.  

About the mentioned formation, if you take Wildriders as your tax but add a Forest Dragon to pair up with a block of 20 Rangers that is a serious combat threat.  You can then polish the turds that are Glade Guard and Sisters of the Watch get even more mileage out of them of which they are already fairly tournament competent as a unit.  

We don't play terrain as stuff you can put in an army list if it has no point... wouldn't be fair.

I shall try this:

Nomad Prince -General 80
Spellweaver/Branchwitch (?) 100
GladeLord on Great Stag 100
Waywatcher 100
Waywatcher 100
Waywatcher 100           
30 Gladeguards 360
30 Gladeguards 360    
3 Waywatchers 80       
10 ETERNAL Guards 80
3 Kurnoth Hunters w/bows 180
3 Kurnoth Hunters w/Schytes 80

3 Kurnoth Hunters w/Schytes 180

I had to choose trait and relic, don't have the GHB with me now.

What do you think?

EDIT: my mistake, they was EG since the beginning :)

I'd probably switch out that 10 gladeguards for Eternal Guards to defend your heros.  EG is an absolute pain to take out if they are in cover.  Also if you opponents are Chaos, Sisters of Watch are a must with a 3+2+ against Chaos.

On 14/4/2017 at 6:59 PM, Thesulliv said:

I'd probably switch out that 10 gladeguards for Eternal Guards to defend your heros.  EG is an absolute pain to take out if they are in cover.  Also if you opponents are Chaos, Sisters of Watch are a must with a 3+2+ against Chaos.

Sorry, they actually ARE EG :) I write 80 points, my mistake

1 hour ago, Dracothjay said:

I agree with removing the 10 GG, but I'd put another 3 waywatchers on the table and beef the unit of 3 to 6. Might not be tending arrows, but your constantly getting 12 shots always hitting on 3's.

Mmm....risky, no meatshields? Anyway I will try the list next week

But first: What about a Free Spirits Battalion+Wanderers?

FS Battalion 60
Spirit of Durthu 400
3x3 Hunters 540

They comes at 1000 points, and it gives me +1 Order Relic for the battalion itself. Plus, Hunters will be faster thanks for Battalion rule.

What do you guys will fill those remaining 1000 points if you have to play Wanderers?

33 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Durthu really likes his oaken armor though...

If I went order I'd say a loremaster, hurricanum and the needed Battleline troops, which would have to be gg I guess, a caster for mystic shield is always good.

Not Order, Wanderers 

Allegiance is order overall so it doesn't change anything. But if you want to restrict yourself for some reason (fluff I guess) then I'd say you still need battle line which still need to be GG. besides that you kinda need an anvil / something to actuallly claim points so I guess that would be EG. You already have a heavy hitter in Durthu and the hunters but since you need a mage I guess the sisters of the thorn would be nice (since the spellweaver can't really heal much valuable stuff ).

Then there won't be much left over but a few hero's might be an idea, someone to be the general with a good command ability (nomand prince/waywatcher)

20 EG is a solid add. A caster of some sort to keep shielding the EG and sisters of the thorn. But then you need BATTLELINE. 

I came up with this:

durthu

nomad prince - general

shadowdancer

20 glade guard

3 waywatchers

3 waywatchers 

20 eternal guard

5 sisters of the Thorne 

5 wardancers

How could you take oaken armour if this list isn't fully Sylvaneth? Would you have to make durthu the general with the formation to have a stand alone Sylvaneth force?

Shadow dancer is nice.... but in this mixed army you can't teleport your most heavy hitters, which makes it sort of less ideal.

No he can't take oaken armor.. which is why Durthu is sad. He'll also be sad by not having wyldwoods to get extra attacks.

Since EG don't get a bonus for being 20+ I'd just put them in 2x10.

Shadowdancer in this list will just add to faster positioning if shooting units, or getting EG to an objective quicker then lock shields next turn, mystic shield also. 

Shadowdancer and rangers best combo though. Wish wanderers were capable of strong things, but as a shorty army their shooting lacks so much besides bodkins.

Shadowdancer and a forest dragon has options for early strikes in enemy backfield (mages? artillery?) BUT then you won't be using the breath attack most likely. A shadowdancers porting rangers so they can keep up with the dragon seems the best option I agree.. but no rangers in that list :D (no dragon either)

Archived