Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

Two things in regards to what people have been saying.

One: You can't ally Wanderers Allegiance with Wood Elves. So if you want hawks, dragons, dancers, etc, you lose all Wanderers Allegiance and have to go straight Order.

Two: The app is updated. Delete the old war scrolls. Yes, the compendium scrolls are in. We lost Wanderers on all the units released in the PDF yesterday.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, tcrfelton said:

One: You can't ally Wanderers Allegiance with Wood Elves. So if you want hawks, dragons, dancers, etc, you lose all Wanderers Allegiance and have to go straight Order.

Two: The app is updated. Delete the old war scrolls. Yes, the compendium scrolls are in. We lost Wanderers on all the units released in the PDF yesterday.

you are quite correct, I had to delete the app and redownload it to show the change, interestingly enough it still lets you take units like glade riders and such when choosing units for your pure Wanderer allegiance lists in the army builder. It also wont let you pick allies like other armies can, so it makes me wonder if this is a glitch or they screwed things up on their keyword rollout.

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

THen we start teleporting:

Then activate the battalion ability: everyone shoots.

This was a quick (well sort of) idea, I might have gotten KEY things incorrectly that invalidate smaller or larger parts of the strategy. 

Please let me know..

Unfortunately the Waystone Pathfinders battalion's Protective Volley ability happens in the hero phase and the Realm Wanderer battletrait teleport happens at the start of the movement phase, so you could not do them in this order. You would need to wait until the next turn's hero phase after teleporting, and the unit you target with Protective Volley needs to be within 12" of the Nomad Prince. 

9 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

Unfortunately the Waystone Pathfinders battalion's Protective Volley ability happens in the hero phase and the Realm Wanderer battletrait teleport happens at the start of the movement phase, so you could not do them in this order. You would need to wait until the next turn's hero phase after teleporting, and the unit you target with Protective Volley needs to be within 12" of the Nomad Prince. 

I'll adjust first.. then come back and say if I think it's still a usefull strategy :D

OK edited..hope it's correct now.

I still think the batallion has it's uses SINCE you now can shoot before you teleport away.. nothing really changes except the fact that combat, magic and shooting can kill some of your stuff... well the idea was the shooters should be save from combat.. but shooting and magic might lower the number of available GG (which might be a reason to go 30 GG)

6 hours ago, tcrfelton said:

If you want a dragon have a dragonlord/dragon mage/drakeseer as an ally. ;)

I find it really admirable how many of y'all are finding ways to make this work! I have a lot of WIP Wanderer units that are suddenly not Wanderers, and I'm just going to put them away for the most part. I think I'll focus more on playing my Death army now until we see some Aelf releases. Sad because I was still buying Wood Elf models and I am apparently stupid for having done so. 

So for now I'll probably be less active on this particular thread until I find reason to come back and play the Wanderers I love so much. Hopefully we get some new releases soon!

I'm actually seeing some upside for Wild Riders with the new allegiance abilities. Their ability to get across the board quickly means a unit of ten can bog down a flank pretty well. Send a spellweaver up the board to keep up either on foot or using the hidden pathways move. Now with the compendium units no longer Wanderers, Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorns are the best targets for her spell anyway. Depending on positioning, she might be able to keep that Wild Rider unit around for quite awhile, seriously hampering your opponents ability to move down the field. I feel like this idea could have some legs.

15 hours ago, Aezeal said:

While with my sylvaneth I'm not convinced the battalions are worth it I'm tempted to try waystone pathfinders here.  It combines well with our new allegiance abilities and has a much return in damage and less situational.

I'm imagining: 

Nomad prince with the teleportation skill, spellweaver, 3 waywatchers, 1 unit of sisters of the thorn, 1 unit of wild riders, 1 unit of 20 EG, 1 unit of 10 EG, 2 units of (at least) 20 GG, maybe a unit of sisters of the watch. 

PM I think I'd put the forget me not on the nomad prince incase a bloodthirster or something similar decides he can just take the whole group teleporting. The spellweaver will probably get the shawl (just to make sure the spells go off) but the starcaster longbow seems a good option too.

• The 20 EG will defend an objective in your own territory, backed up by sisters of the thorne and wild riders and one unit of glade guard or sisters of the watch(well.. or not).
  • The nomad prince is surrounded by basicly all the other troops which will be teleporting. He will use his command ability.
  • There is a spellweaver there, and she casts mystic shield on the EG, the sisters of the thorn cast shield of thorns on them.

In the movement phase we teleport:

1. 10 EG (at 6" from the edge) a bit spaced out so sticking out around the units which follow,
  2. 2nd behind them either 20-30 GG in rows of 10 or 10 sisters of the watch and then 20 GG. Somewhere in the second line I'll leave a place open for the nomad prince himself, and maybe another for the spellweaver. Then we can shoot (sisters not at full strength though which is why I'm not sure about them - however one of my main opponents plays chaos... so :D). You could also move one of the sisters in the front so she gets charged if the opponent is not paying attention, however that means this expensive unit will probably also receive a few hits.
  3. In the 3th row we leave room for the 3 waywatchers which then teleport in there, last of all the nomad prince teleports to his position. This should give us a block of archers with loosly around them the EG to take charges (they will certainly not be at full defensive potential.. but it's not like we have a better unit for this role and if we get the rerolls from shield of thorns that will certainly help). 
  • The thing is ofcourse that while we need to keep every model in this block more than 9" away (preferably farther) we will make sure the nomad price has a spot at about.. say 11.5" from an enemy.

These units then cannot do anything in the movement phase since they count as having moved.

Then regular shooting phase (sisters will count as having moved) we shoot again.. ow and lets not forget their ability to get -3 rend if the target is right.

• +1 to hit for everyone if positioned well: 5+ exploding hits for waywatchers
  • another +1 to hit (makes 2+) for the GG if they are still at 20.

Enemy turn:

• If enemy charges they can only /mostly hit EG.
  • If we used the teleport skill on the nomad prince he'll be vulnerable against shooting.
  • If we do not take the teleport skill it means you'd have to deploy in a corner AND you can only teleport along that edge so you'll have much less targets to choose from and opponent has easier denial abilities (however.. a denying unit can ofc always be shot since it is per definition close by) BUT it would allow for us to take the ability he can't be targeted easily. 

Next turn

Herophase: Activate the battalion ability: everyone shoots.

If things go/look bad:

• we teleport back,
  • or a bit away,
  • or to the other side of the table where new units might be exposed even the EG can do it - even if they are in combat (if they survived ofc).

If things look good and there are targets:

• waywatchers get another +1 to hit if not moving, ofc they will then be under 2+ and 1's will fail... but exploding attacks at 4+ is nice.
  • EG can stand still and use their ability.

It's 240 points and gives us an extra shooting phase. We could get another 20 GG for this (with another -3 rend attack) instead but the trade off seems to favour the battalion (also: 1 or 2 drop depending on units taken: everything outside batallion will increase its drops). The thing is we are also forced to take a spellweaver and 2 units of wildriders/sisters of the thorne which we might not take other wise. I think I'll be taking one of both the cavalry units. I don't consider the sisters that much of a tax, and while the wild riders are a tax they will have their uses so it's not like it's 140 competely wasted points (maybe 40). The spellweaver isn't my favorite mage.. but it's the only one we have and now at 80 points I'd include her anyway: mystic shield is very valuable and situationally it might be worth to us the heal on GG to get them back at 20 or on the cavalry units).

Currently I'm looking at

• Nomad prince 80
  • Spell weaver 80
  • 3 x waywatcher 300
  • 2 x 20 GG 480
  • 1 x 10 sisters of the watch 220 (proxied by my old waywatcher which are way cooler) 
  • 1 x 10 EG 80
  • 1 x 20 EG 160
  • 1 x 5 Wildriders 140
  • 1 x 5 sisters of the thorn 220
  • Waystone pathfinders. 240

I'd say that makes an even 2K right?

Options would be

• to do the same without waystone pathfinders, also dropping the wildriders since they wouldn't be required for more EG or GG.
  • The 2nd unit of EG could also be dropped to 10 or completely 
  • Sisters of the watch could certainly be 
  • Not sure if shooting allies will be of much help, but maybe a well placed hero might be usefull (that azyros guy?) but there isn't that much room for changes if you keep the battalion.
  • Take care every thing outside batallion will increase drop so if you remove stuff increasing size of existing units might be best.

This was a quick (well sort of) idea, I might have gotten KEY things incorrectly that invalidate smaller or larger parts of the strategy. 

Please let me know.. I'll adjust the post or delete it so it won't be too confusing.

unfortunately u need to pik only 4 units between gg, eg ans sisters (for the battallion). U have 5 in list. I opted for 30 eg, 20+10 gg and 20 sisters. At least u have so much fire power.

2 minutes ago, Lecfast said:

My sister's of the watch are either worthless or ok... The warscrolls says units of 5 or more, but Azyr says 10 or more. If it's five for 220 that is uplayable.

In matched games, you have to consider the pitched points chart, never the warscroll. Don't worry, it's 10 for 220

7 hours ago, Tidings said:

I find it really admirable how many of y'all are finding ways to make this work! I have a lot of WIP Wanderer units that are suddenly not Wanderers, and I'm just going to put them away for the most part. I think I'll focus more on playing my Death army now until we see some Aelf releases. Sad because I was still buying Wood Elf models and I am apparently stupid for having done so. 

So for now I'll probably be less active on this particular thread until I find reason to come back and play the Wanderers I love so much. Hopefully we get some new releases soon!

What units do you have mate? Perhaps we can help you with making a nice army list. I'm sure that once you see the new artifacts and command traits you'll get the creative bug-bite and want to play with them again. ;)

8 hours ago, Tidings said:

Everything you could still buy is still useable.. And I'm using it in my theory... and I don't think it's just trying to make it work. I think my teleport strategy will really work in regular games (I actually fear it will be quite annoyning for opponents) and maybe even in competative games. Its actually the sort of strategy I wanted to play when I picked WE as my first (and only till I got my sylvaneth as a bonus army when AoS launched) army. Ofc she insane teleporting wasn't around. But I really like the idea of ambushing, shooting melting away.. if anything we can do that even better now. (2 bad we don't have the waywatcher traps anymore to defend a forest).

1 hour ago, Pestilens said:

unfortunately u need to pik only 4 units between gg, eg ans sisters (for the battallion). U have 5 in list. I opted for 30 eg, 20+10 gg and 20 sisters. At least u have so much fire power.

Well I think I adressed that. It means you can just pick all your shooting units in the batallion and leave on unit of EG out of the batallion. It just means you have an extra drop as I said.

Having said that I was thinking myself to go to 30 on the GG just to teleport most of them and then keep the sisters of the watch on defense. Or to just delete the sisters and go 2 x 30 (this doesn't work 1-1 since they are more xpensive so you'd have to drop a few EG too)

5 minutes ago, Lecfast said:

40k... When fantasy died AoS never showed up in my area, but now people are starting back with it.

Aw you poor soul. I think  WE will be solid however I doubt there will be room for many different play styles (teleporting with melee might be possible but not sure it will be viable - however teleporting 2 units of 10 rangers will give you double chances on a 9" charge on a monster if they position it badly and will be a way to kill big stuff and it's certainly a thing to take into account).  

47 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Aw you poor soul. I think  WE will be solid however I doubt there will be room for many different play styles (teleporting with melee might be possible but not sure it will be viable - however teleporting 2 units of 10 rangers will give you double chances on a 9" charge on a monster if they position it badly and will be a way to kill big stuff and it's certainly a thing to take into account).  

I want to try wild riders now. They are fine against light armour units, so they should harrass some firing positions/warmachines, maybe light battlelines etc. 

They can run and charge, so teleporting at 9" from the enemy sounds good!

And they still...."cheaper". Well, for a cavalry almost. 10 of them are 240 points, we can afford theme.

They will almost get one chance now

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Well I think I adressed that. It means you can just pick all your shooting units in the batallion and leave on unit of EG out of the batallion. It just means you have an extra drop as I said.

Having said that I was thinking myself to go to 30 on the GG just to teleport most of them and then keep the sisters of the watch on defense. Or to just delete the sisters and go 2 x 30 (this doesn't work 1-1 since they are more xpensive so you'd have to drop a few EG too)

I think that if you ( like me) choose to play this battallion, we need to  put alla units inside it. Btw i dont play sisters of the thorne ( i play 2 raiders). My lista is:

Battallion

Nomad, spellsinger, 3 waywatcher heroes, 20 GG, 10 GG, 30 eg, 20 sisters of the watch, 2x5 raider. Probably i cut off 10 sisters of the watch to put  inside sisters of the thorns. Btw my big doubt is about the formation, 240 points is so much expensive.

1 hour ago, Pestilens said:

I think that if you ( like me) choose to play this battallion, we need to  put alla units inside it. Btw i dont play sisters of the thorne ( i play 2 raiders). My lista is:

Battallion

Nomad, spellsinger, 3 waywatcher heroes, 20 GG, 10 GG, 30 eg, 20 sisters of the watch, 2x5 raider. Probably i cut off 10 sisters of the watch to put  inside sisters of the thorns. Btw my big doubt is about the formation, 240 points is so much expensive.

True.. it's expensive but unlike the sylvaneth battalion (which are my comparison AND which I decide not to use for now) this one can actually give you real increased damage which I think it important, and if you play it well you can do it with a lot of shooting units). The thing is that the nomad prince is the key and if they kill him it will be gone. If you take the trait that he cannot be targeted then he will probably survive with ease.. however then getting your troops in good positions might be MUCH more difficult so I choose not to try that at first (My regular opponents also don't have that much shooting so that helps). You can also decide to just use the EG as chaff and not put the mystic shield on them if the chance of a dangerous charge is low.

Anyway has a good chance to give real damage which can be compared to what you'd otherwise do with the points and I think it might come out favourable if you keep putting the nomad prince in range. He can ofcourse move out of range for the ability but then you'd have some real area denial which might be worth a lot too.

I am considering using the same strat with the teleport item without the battalion but with more GG but I think it will be about even. 

i plan on using a knight azyros as an ally to get the rerolls on 1 for shooting without needing a nomad Prince. I even started to convert some prosecutors (they are fast, good for the mobile wanderers) to match the army style :) I hope they synergize well together with the rest of my wanderer.

IMG_20170822_212219.jpg

20170823_225020.jpg

20170824_215936.jpg

IMG_20170821_221800_725.jpg

20170824_215953.jpg

5 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Looks nice. 

By their move with the compendium they also removed the only monster from the army, no forest dragon...

Which monster do you see a best fitting in our army from the possible allies?

I really like  celestant prime... Cause he have a great mobility and a great impact when he  comes  down from the sky :D

13 hours ago, Siegfried VII said:

If you want a dragon have a dragonlord/dragon mage/drakeseer as an ally. ;)

I thought about this as well.  The order draconis dragon is much more powerful and point efficient than the glade lord on dragon (I did not compare him to the twin sisters).  It is also very easy to paint him as a wood elf dragon lord, he may be a little too armored but I think that is fine, he is a dragonlord after all.

Only pity is that we still have to keep the Nomad Prince as a general.

20 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Looks nice. 

By their move with the compendium they also removed the only monster from the army, no forest dragon...

Which monster do you see a best fitting in our army from the possible allies?

As mentioned in my earlier post, the dragonlord.  However I acknowledge that the Sylvaneth treelord is quite good as you can get 2 within 500 points.

5 minutes ago, darkspear said:

I thought about this as well.  The order draconis dragon is much more powerful and point efficient than the glade lord on dragon (I did not compare him to the twin sisters).  It is also very easy to paint him as a wood elf dragon lord, he may be a little too armored but I think that is fine, he is a dragonlord after all.

Only pity is that we still have to keep the Nomad Prince as a general.

Well you shouldn't underestimate the breath ability of the forests dragon,  it's quite powerful. A Durthu fits exactly in 400 points for 2k.

Archived