Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

Ouch. Was really happy about the changes until I noticed no Wanderer keyword. Wardancers get +2 to saves for Shadows Coil instead of just changing to a +4 save, great for Shield of Thorns synergy. And Waywatchers got their Invisible Hunter ability changed to give -1 to hit in all phases when they are targeted while in cover, instead of just shooting phase. Why go to the trouble to make changes like this but then remove them from a recently updated allegiance? Maybe I can still play them as wanderers in friendly games...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, awcamawn said:

Ouch. Was really happy about the changes until I noticed no Wanderer keyword. Wardancers get +2 to saves for Shadows Coil instead of just changing to a +4 save, great for Shield of Thorns synergy. And Waywatchers got their Invisible Hunter ability changed to give -1 to hit in all phases when they are targeted while in cover, instead of just shooting phase. Why go to the trouble to make changes like this but then remove them from a recently updated allegiance? Maybe I can still play them as wanderers in friendly games...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lol yeah their invisible hunter ability is not better than the one of the waywatcher hero of the wanderers of the same name. If they are really 5 for 80 (seems unlikely I'd say) it might really be interesting to just play order. Hurricanum, these guys, EG as battleline, a few of the hero's (if they are still 100 and 120 for the eagle and stag lord they are very good value), that battlestandard bearer. 

No more raising warhawks either btw.

6 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Man I REALLY hope they let wardancers come back.. if they bring out a kit like the harlequins they'd look awesome.

Biggest thing on my wishlist right now, a plastic kit would be awesome! Hoping against hope that Wardancers could be a Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire faction, mostly a pipe dream but I think they could make some really cool card mechanics for them. Even if they could be released as a new standalone AoS faction, kinda like how duardin Slayers became the Fyreslayers they could do the same for Wardancers. Would be awesome to see them 'dialed up to 11' for the new setting. Maybe like some nomadic aelves driven to the deepest wilderness during the age of Chaos in order to survive. Or simply copy/paste the harlequins out of the sci-fi setting, give them some fantasy doodads, and take my money!

2 hours ago, Cerve said:

oh there's a set of alliance then. 

Ok no WoodElves in. Nice, we basically can't use our models now...pff

Well most of them are wanderers. Kinda sad about the dragons, lords on eagle and stag, waywatchers and Wardancers.  Especially the latest waywatchers are awesome models. I'll be using them as brothers of the watch.. not going to buy that insanely expensive box.

Where are you guys seeing the keyword changes? In my app wardancers are still wanderers. Waywatchers seem to be gone except in lists I already have them in, and they are now units of 5 there. Orion renamed and some other changes. Maybe I need to reinstall my app?

8 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Where are you guys seeing the keyword changes? In my app wardancers are still wanderers. Waywatchers seem to be gone except in lists I already have them in, and they are now units of 5 there. Orion renamed and some other changes. Maybe I need to reinstall my app?

Unsure if they've updated the app yet. All the compendium scrolls got updates to remove factions and synergies, see the Warhammer Community webpage. You can basically take them in Grand Alliance armies, but they won't synergise with anything.

Edit: Actually the app has been updated now. Redownload scrolls to see their updates.

Well ******. Really hoped this wasn't true. Just as we got a reason to play Wanderers as an allegiance, they take away half the units I would use. Unless we get an Aelf release in the next couple months, I'll be pretty ****** salty all over again. This is the second time they have stripped units from our army (first with Sylvaneth) and now we are down to pretty barebones selections. I can't even field 2000 points now unless I play mixed order. Not happy, and not interested in buying more after the compendium changes. 

16 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Well ******. Really hoped this wasn't true. Just as we got a reason to play Wanderers as an allegiance, they take away half the units I would use. Unless we get an Aelf release in the next couple months, I'll be pretty ****** salty all over again. This is the second time they have stripped units from our army (first with Sylvaneth) and now we are down to pretty barebones selections. I can't even field 2000 points now unless I play mixed order. Not happy, and not interested in buying more after the compendium changes. 

The wanderers are still solid I think, the new abilities will help.. except for getting objectives. And Sylvaneth are a solid and fluffy ally.. and stormcasts solid tough less fluffy but with a wide range of tools. As I said: I'll be using the old elite archers (waywatchers) as proxies for the new elite archers (sisters of the watch). I'd hoped the wild riders would be less hopeless since they are nice models... I guess I might give them a try.. but with the high mobility the game already has I think GW is generally overcosting cavarly (not sure about those new stormcast ones though).

Yeah I just preferred waywatchers to sisters of the watch, mainly because they get their shooting bonuses irrespective of moving or not. They also synergize with Nomad Prince better since they are rolling more dice per point. 

The problem with cavalry is many armies charge in a single turn. No point moving fast if you will just be charged regardless. The only exception to this was the Eagle Lord and Warhawks since they can fly over fighting units, and are tougher, but now we don't even have those. So out 400 points ally allowance is stuck being used for both frontline and objective grabbers. EG make a fine frontline if you don't plan to move at all, but that doesn't match up with our new allegiance abilities, so we may as well take someone naturally tougher than them. Sigh. 

1 hour ago, Dragon10 said:

What's Orion keyword? Point cost? Any changes , I really want to use him

The same but no Wanderer. And no Command ability.

And you can field multiple of them now.

Oh they changed even the Shadowdancer: now his power affects only him. LOL.

GW should says just "stop playing old miniatures, please".

5 minutes ago, Poddy said:

Does this mean I cannot use any of forest dragons or wardancers with wanderers now because the keywords not there? That is ridiculous

Yup. We thought we were getting cool stuff this handbook, but with the compendium changes, this has been a huge disappointment. I have lots of models that are a literal waste of space at this point. Thanks GW. 

Removal of Wardancers is ridiculous. I get that they want to remove support for models they don't make anymore, but they could just suggest that you convert the Sisters of Slaughter from Dark Elves or something. And the Shadowdancer is useless now. I used Shadowdancers so many times and I never once cast the spell on herself lol. 

Now I have the book I must say that while non of the command traits are terrible and the can only be targeted if closest is awesome I think I'd always take the teleport at ion one. You could basicly string the units around him then teleport them all and the general himself last. I though it was good when I assumed it was for one unit.. But this us every unit all the time (if within 6 of general and table edge. Large units stringing out to within 6 inch of table edge might be a thing. 6 inch border at table edges is a pretty large area all in all.

The movement artefact is once per game and one unit and does have competition, all of those except the blade look good probably better even.

I find the removal of the wanderers key word and general changes to the compendium quite strange.  Some models are hard to find but things like a Glade Lord on a dragon is such an easy conversion and I may be wrong but I remember a podcast mentioning that a couple of the special characters from the Grey Knight book don't have models but instead there is a conversion guide in the codex. 

The changes to Compendium sound like typical old GW being a bunch of *****.

Of course we can still use our Wood Elf collection. But how are Wardancers or Waywatchers not "Wanderers"? In what way are they different from Eternal Guard? Oh I get it, they no longer sell the models. I understand it's a company, want your cash and blablabla, but there was no need to do this move.

I could easily add the Wanderer keyword to all warscroll to maintain some logic and coherence, but unless playing at home with a bunch of friends I won't be able to apply it. Like, I can't even field a "legal" Wood Elf/Wanderer anymore according to GW. Unless going full "Order", but why would an army fully composed of Wood Elves/Wanderer models would have to stick to "Order"? No logic. 

While with my sylvaneth I'm not convinced the battalions are worth it I'm tempted to try waystone pathfinders here.  It combines well with our new allegiance abilities and has a much return in damage and less situational.

I'm imagining: 

Nomad prince with the teleportation skill, spellweaver, 3 waywatchers, 1 unit of sisters of the thorn, 1 unit of wild riders, 1 unit of 20 EG, 1 unit of 10 EG, 2 units of (at least) 20 GG, maybe a unit of sisters of the watch. 

PM I think I'd put the forget me not on the nomad prince incase a bloodthirster or something similar decides he can just take the whole group teleporting. The spellweaver will probably get the shawl (just to make sure the spells go off) but the starcaster longbow seems a good option too.

• The 20 EG will defend an objective in your own territory, backed up by sisters of the thorne and wild riders and one unit of glade guard or sisters of the watch(well.. or not).
  • The nomad prince is surrounded by basicly all the other troops which will be teleporting. He will use his command ability.
  • There is a spellweaver there, and she casts mystic shield on the EG, the sisters of the thorn cast shield of thorns on them.

In the movement phase we teleport:

1. 10 EG (at 6" from the edge) a bit spaced out so sticking out around the units which follow,
  2. 2nd behind them either 20-30 GG in rows of 10 or 10 sisters of the watch and then 20 GG. Somewhere in the second line I'll leave a place open for the nomad prince himself, and maybe another for the spellweaver. Then we can shoot (sisters not at full strength though which is why I'm not sure about them - however one of my main opponents plays chaos... so :D). You could also move one of the sisters in the front so she gets charged if the opponent is not paying attention, however that means this expensive unit will probably also receive a few hits.
  3. In the 3th row we leave room for the 3 waywatchers which then teleport in there, last of all the nomad prince teleports to his position. This should give us a block of archers with loosly around them the EG to take charges (they will certainly not be at full defensive potential.. but it's not like we have a better unit for this role and if we get the rerolls from shield of thorns that will certainly help). 
  • The thing is ofcourse that while we need to keep every model in this block more than 9" away (preferably farther) we will make sure the nomad price has a spot at about.. say 11.5" from an enemy.

These units then cannot do anything in the movement phase since they count as having moved.

Then regular shooting phase (sisters will count as having moved) we shoot again.. ow and lets not forget their ability to get -3 rend if the target is right.

Enemy turn:

• If enemy charges they can only/mostly hit EG.
  • If we used the teleport skill on the nomad prince he'll be vulnerable against shooting.
  • If we do not take the teleport skill it means you'd have to deploy in a corner AND you can only teleport along that edge so you'll have much less targets to choose from and opponent has easier denial abilities (however.. a denying unit can ofc always be shot since it is per definition close by) BUT it would allow for us to take the ability he can't be targeted easily. 

Next turn

Herophase: Activate the battalion ability: everyone shoots.

If things go/look bad:

• we teleport back,
  • or a bit away,
  • or to the other side of the table where new units might be exposed .. even the EG can do it - even if they are in combat (if they survived ofc).

If things look good and there are targets:

• waywatchers get  +1 to hit if not moving, they will then  2+ and RR 1's ... and exploding attacks at 5+ is nice.
  • EG can stand still and use their ability.

It's 240 points and gives us an extra shooting phase. We could get another 20 GG for this (with another -3 rend attack) instead but the trade off seems to favour the battalion (also: 1 or 2 drop depending on units taken: everything outside batallion will increase its drops). The thing is we are also forced to take a spellweaver and 2 units of wildriders/sisters of the thorne which we might not take other wise. I think I'll be taking one of both the cavalry units. I don't consider the sisters that much of a tax, and while the wild riders are a tax they will have their uses so it's not like it's 140 competely wasted points (maybe 40). The spellweaver isn't my favorite mage.. but it's the only one we have and now at 80 points I'd include her anyway: mystic shield is very valuable and situationally it might be worth to us the heal on GG to get them back at 20 or on the cavalry units).

Currently I'm looking at

• Nomad prince 80
  • Spell weaver 80
  • 3 x waywatcher 300
  • 2 x 20 GG 480
  • 1 x 10 sisters of the watch 220 (proxied by my old waywatcher which are way cooler) 
  • 1 x 10 EG 80
  • 1 x 20 EG 160
  • 1 x 5 Wildriders 140
  • 1 x 5 sisters of the thorn 220
  • Waystone pathfinders. 240

I'd say that makes an even 2K right?

Options would be

• to do the same without waystone pathfinders, also dropping the wildriders since they wouldn't be required for more EG or GG.
  • The 2nd unit of EG could also be dropped to 10 or completely 
  • Sisters of the watch could certainly be 
  • Not sure if shooting allies will be of much help, but maybe a well placed hero might be usefull (that azyros guy?) but there isn't that much room for changes if you keep the battalion.
  • Take care every thing outside batallion will increase drop so if you remove stuff increasing size of existing units might be best.

This was a quick (well sort of) idea, I might have gotten KEY things incorrectly that invalidate smaller or larger parts of the strategy. 

Please let me know.. I'll adjust the post or delete it so it won't be too confusing.

Im just going to point out that the app still let lets you choose your wood elf buddies in a complete wanderer list, and it has been updated to include stuff like ally points, and all the other options are in there. Maybe the removal of the keywords was an oversight by GW? It does look like a lot of the Heroes lost their wanderer keyword but all the line units like waywatcher, glade riders, and warhawk riders kept theirs.

edit: they also have a little spot up in the corner that lets you add in available allies! 

20 minutes ago, generalchaos34 said:

Im just going to point out that the app still let lets you choose your wood elf buddies in a complete wanderer list, and it has been updated to include stuff like ally points, and all the other options are in there. Maybe the removal of the keywords was an oversight by GW? It does look like a lot of the Heroes lost their wanderer keyword but all the line units like waywatcher, glade riders, and warhawk riders kept theirs.

I don't believe this will last.. the new compendium warscrolls are pretty clear.

2 hours ago, generalchaos34 said:

and GW has stated before that the app will have the most up to date rules. we will have to see what sticks

Also all command abilities which mentioned wanderers  are removed.. not even changed too wood elf with a wood elf key word.. Just gone. I don't think any synergy is intended.

Archived