Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

15 minutes ago, Tidings said:

Yeah, I'll try it out tonight. First game with Wanderers since the change. Daisy chaining is'nt a new concept lol, but I haven't had to do it much with Wanderers so far. :P

I was more thinking of blobbing :  just putting GG in 2 lines and remove a few models for trhe characters: prince in the middle and the rest within 6 "ofcourse. Then EG in a loose line infront.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should take some pictures of the formations I put my EG in. I leave columns for characters to move back out if they need to get away, things like that. Sort of like a comb. But everyone's formations will be different depending on the terrain they use. 

10 minutes ago, Tidings said:

I should take some pictures of the formations I put my EG in. I leave columns for characters to move back out if they need to get away, things like that. Sort of like a comb. But everyone's formations will be different depending on the terrain they use. 

When you teleport to another side you stay within 6" so no need for that... you can just teleport away if you want :D

The problem with that is you leave your nomad prince open to being sniped. If he dies the battalion rules fall apart. He isn't hard to kill. Better to use the trait that prevents enemies from targeting him unless he the closest unit. Stalker of the Hidden Paths  is a great way to make Waystone work but I think it leaves the anchor unit (The Prince) wide open to snipes. Pray for LOS cover?

Also we can buy sylvaneth Wild woods for 40pts so if you want more cover to start with try that? Also opens up possibilities getting some Dryad Allies and a TLA to get more woods as they synergise well.

9 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

The problem with that is you leave your nomad prince open to being sniped. If he dies the battalion rules fall apart. He isn't hard to kill. Better to use the trait that prevents enemies from targeting him unless he the closest unit. Stalker of the Hidden Paths  is a great way to make Waystone work but I think it leaves the anchor unit (The Prince) wide open to snipes. Pray for LOS cover?

Also we can buy sylvaneth Wild woods for 40pts so if you want more cover to start with try that? Also opens up possibilities getting some Dryad Allies and a TLA to get more woods as they synergise well.

Will the opponent have a real LOS behind a line of EG and a line of big cloaked GG? And a 4+ rr save and -1 to hit will help.. not to mention you can try and kill the enemy most dangerous to him possibly.

PS ..You can buy a wood.. but who is going to summon it?

12 minutes ago, Tidings said:

You don't have to summon it... you can just deploy it. If you want to make sure you have good cover to get all your EG bonuses then it's really not a bad idea. 

You're still subject to getting beat up by spells aren't you?  It was something I was thinking of months ago.

49 minutes ago, Tidings said:

You don't have to summon it... you can just deploy it. If you want to make sure you have good cover to get all your EG bonuses then it's really not a bad idea. 

Can you really just deploy it like any model? So only in your deployment zone? Is there a specific faq about this. My reasoning was that you can't deploy terrain so the vortex has to be summonedby the spell and the wyld wood would need to be summoned by the TLA ability. Any way.. If a wyld wood isn't free you can't summon more with a tla unless you pay the points.

On 29-8-2017 at 10:52 PM, Aezeal said:

Nomad prince 80 (general, stalker of the hidden paths, viridescent shawl or forget me not)

Spellweaver 80

Glade guard x 30 360

Glade guard x 20 240

Eternal guard x 20 160

Eternal guard x 10 80

Or 

Prince (hidden ways, shawl)

Spellweaver

Waywatcher

Waywatcher

20 Glade Guard

20 Glade Guard

10 Eternal Guard

10 Eternal Guard

What would you choose? (Or other suggestions)

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Can you really just deploy it like any model? So only in your deployment zone? Is there a specific faq about this. My reasoning was that you can't deploy terrain so the vortex has to be summonedby the spell and the wyld wood would need to be summoned by the TLA ability. Any way.. If a wyld wood isn't free you can't summon more with a tla unless you pay the points.

Yes you can just deploy it at the start.  it's free to sylvaneth you start with one. The TLA doesn't pay to summon wyld woods that would ruin the sylvaneth faction completely.

for everyone else it's 40pts to deploy one.

6 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Will the opponent have a real LOS behind a line of EG and a line of big cloaked GG? And a 4+ rr save and -1 to hit will help.. not to mention you can try and kill the enemy most dangerous to him possibly.

PS ..You can buy a wood.. but who is going to summon it?

4rr save and a -1 to hit for a 5 wound hero is not enough. Magic bolts,the  thundertusks 6 mortal wound ranged thingy, hunters of kurnoth with bows, cannons, mortars, tunnelling storm fiends with flame throwers, harsh language etc etc Basically every army has access to something that can snipe well especially with allies included. It's a problem a lot of armies and battalions have, a weak hero lynchpin - kunnin ruk has one for example. I'm not saying don't try it, not every enemy will have good shooting or sniping capability. It's just very risky. 

25 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

4rr save and a -1 to hot for a 5 wound hero is not enough. Magic bolts,the  thundertusks 6 mortal wound ranged thingy, hunters of kurnoth with bows, cannons, mortars, tunnelling storm fiends with flame throwers, harsh language etc etc Basically every army has access to something that can snipe well especially with allies included. It's a problem a lot of armies and battalions have, a weak hero lynchpin - kunnin ruk has one for example. I'm not saying don't try it, not every enemy will have good shooting or sniping capability. It's just very risky. 

But can they SEE him behind 2 lines of models with big cloaks? (not required for every artillery and every spell.. but often it is..)

I ran this the other night in a triumph and treachery 4-way, using matched play rules

Nomad Prince - Stalker, Falcon
2 Spell Weavers - Shawl
2 Waywatchers
1 Waystrider
2x20 GG
1x30 EG
1x10 WWR
1x5 SoT
1x5 WR
Waystone Battalion

Was just a mixed bag for a ****** and giggles game but the shoot, jump, shoot combo was just epic. I'm really pumped for the changes to Wanderers in GH2 adds some much needed flexibility to the faction. Managed to win the game by 1 VP, just jumping in shooting the ****** out of something, then having the EG absorb the retaliation with mortal wound bounce back, shooting them again in the next hero phase and jumping away was heaps of fun.

After the game my opponents were discussing how to take it down, they quickly figured out that all they needed to do was kill my 5 wound prince... Not sure how long the fun will last now. Pretty sure in the future I'll have to drop the battalion to put in some high damage rend -2, (aelf dragon/durthu most likely). Just a matter of time until the prince gets snipped turn one and some one drops a 2+ rerollable in front of me.

7 minutes ago, Origin said:

I ran this the other night in a triumph and treachery 4-way, using matched play rules

2 Spell Weavers - Shawl
2 Waywatchers
1 Waystrider
2x20 GG
1x30 EG
1x10 WWR
1x5 SoT
1x5 WR
Waystone Battalion

Was just a mixed bag for a ****** and giggles game but the shoot, jump, shoot combo was just epic. I'm really pumped for the changes to Wanderers in GH2 adds some much needed flexibility to the faction. Managed to win the game by 1 VP, just jumping in shooting the ****** out of something, then having the EG absorb the retaliation with mortal wound bounce back, shooting them again in the next hero phase and jumping away was heaps of fun.

After the game my opponents were discussing how to take it down, they quickly figured out that all they needed to do was kill my 5 wound prince... Not sure how long the fun will last now. Pretty sure in the future I'll have to drop the battalion to put in some high damage rend -2, (aelf dragon/durthu most likely). Just a matter of time until the prince gets snipped turn one and some one drops a 2+ rerollable in front of me.

Well it's not like EVERY army has 2 + RR.. and if they don't ignore rend we've got some rend 1. Why did you go 2 spell weavers.. did you end up using them a lot / enough to be worth the points. Did you find the WWR usefull or would you have rather had some more shooting (say a unit of 30 GG). And: how did the falcon work out: seems subpar to me in comparison to the forget me not and maybe even the bow.

I hate LOS we have so many arguments over it. Someone even got a laser pen out once, units could obscure the prince enough but some can see him others cannot and it starts to get a little picky for me with split fire shooting. It's not always possible to get into the right position look from the shooting models or vice Versa. For example Many elf wizards are modelled onto tall rocks so they look like they are flying. This looks awesome but they make it really easy to be shot at. Do we start chopping out the bases to shorten them or buy kneeling mages or stuff a bush in front of them on the base they are on or not use our cool models in favour of smaller ones?

Models in the unit you can argue are moving all the time so it's not really ideal to say units obscure vision. I had someone hide an orc Mage behind the leg of a giant and claim he was not in LOS.  It's safer and less fuss if you only claim LOS is blocked from cover and terrain but the rules say if you can see it you can shoot it. LOS is a thread on its own really and I don't want to get into a debate about it....oops too late :/:ph34r: elves aren't that big and many units can see/shoot over them. Even dwarves have air ships and personal balloons now.

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

lol.. but I'm serious LOS is a thing in AoS right.. and a few rows of closely packed troops (on 20 mm squares) should block LOS right?

No, it won't. Even a small model just needs to see the tiniest sliver of the target. Most people in my store almost never even bother looking - it's just assumed there's always LoS unless one model is TRYING to hide behind something big, like a building. Basically every time we have looked, there is in fact LoS. 

1 hour ago, Origin said:

2 Spell Weavers - Shawl
2 Waywatchers
1 Waystrider
2x20 GG
1x30 EG
1x10 WWR
1x5 SoT
1x5 WR
Waystone Battalion

Well, you can switch to using the Command Trait that makes your Nomad Prince untargetable unless he is the nearest model. 

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

Well it's not like EVERY army has 2 + RR.. and if they don't ignore rend we've got some rend 1. Why did you go 2 spell weavers.. did you end up using them a lot / enough to be worth the points. Did you find the WWR usefull or would you have rather had some more shooting (say a unit of 30 GG). And: how did the falcon work out: seems subpar to me in comparison to the forget me not and maybe even the bow.

The falcon wasn't great. The forget-me-not would be more useful. The falcon only did maybe 3 wounds across the match. 

I run 2 spell weavers and the sisters so I can have MS, thorns and healing. I tend to find that my opponents chip off 1-2 models from my GG to drop the +1, so the healing helps there. And I just have to have MS and thorns on the EG. And two auto unbind are really tidy. For 80 points they are a steal. Especially with the shawl. 

I like the WWR, they're not the best unit but they are nice as a little counter punch unit. And I really dislike putting all my output into shooting. 

@Tidings true, but then you lose stalker, without that I feel the battalion would be less useful. Basically a completely different build. 

I'm really missing having a behemoth lord option. The wending wand would be useful then. 

And the loss of the shadow dancer hurt. Loved that spell... 

Yeah now that Spellsingers are 80 points they are way more worth taking. Also now that Teclis is gone. He was beast. :(

Yeah I would rather be going around the board edges but it does seem pretty easy to counter. Losing Nomad Prince hurts a LOT in this build because of how expensive Waystone Pathfinders is. 

5 hours ago, WABBIT said:

I hate LOS we have so many arguments over it. Someone even got a laser pen out once, units could obscure the prince enough but some can see him others cannot and it starts to get a little picky for me with split fire shooting. It's not always possible to get into the right position look from the shooting models or vice Versa. For example Many elf wizards are modelled onto tall rocks so they look like they are flying. This looks awesome but they make it really easy to be shot at. Do we start chopping out the bases to shorten them or buy kneeling mages or stuff a bush in front of them on the base they are on or not use our cool models in favour of smaller ones?

Models in the unit you can argue are moving all the time so it's not really ideal to say units obscure vision. I had someone hide an orc Mage behind the leg of a giant and claim he was not in LOS.  It's safer and less fuss if you only claim LOS is blocked from cover and terrain but the rules say if you can see it you can shoot it. LOS is a thread on its own really and I don't want to get into a debate about it....oops too late :/:ph34r: elves aren't that big and many units can see/shoot over them. Even dwarves have air ships and personal balloons now.

Yeah big stuff would see him.. but regular infantry. behind 2 ranks of troops that is not very easy... I mean yes they might be moving.. but shooting something behind 2 lines of moving troops...  

I'll see how it works out if he dies too quickly I'll have to get the no targetting trait but it would limit target asquisition quite a lot.

10 hours ago, WABBIT said:

Yes you can just deploy it at the start.  it's free to sylvaneth you start with one. The TLA doesn't pay to summon wyld woods that would ruin the sylvaneth faction completely.

Not sure it works like that (never seen it played in a LOT of games), but in any case it would break alliegence and make you Order not Wanderers, as 'Scenery' is not listed on the allies list for wanderers

edit

Actually they have no order keyword either so cannot be added to an army (or any other alliegence), which is why I've never seen it :)  Knew there was a reason.

12 hours ago, WABBIT said:

You have to pay for what you summon. Sylvaneth can summon it for but only have to pay 0 points. Non sylvaneth have to pay 40. And since it was mentioned it has no order keyword you can only get it by summoning it.. which means you need the ability on the TLA (since he doesn't get sylvaneth spells either.

Archived