AoS video games- what would you want to see?

Zeratan

In the wake of TW:WH's success and TW:WH II's announcement I wonder how a game placed in Mortal Realms could look like. Obviously it won't happen in a long while as the IP exists for a very short period of time but I think it'd be fun to speculate.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh! You know if GW wants to hop on a repeated succesful chain I'd say a League of Legends Age of Sigmar game would be perfect. You'd have your widly fantasy narrative play options in all of the most amazing worlds the Age of Sigmar universe can offer.

On that same subject, I do wish that Shadespire was that. A single hero game with technical unlimited reinforcements is something that the miniature games market isn't really covering. It allows for very easy buy-in acces and essentially allows you to bring/summon whatever your collection allows for within logical defined borders. 

12 minutes ago, Killax said:

Heh! You know if GW wants to hop on a repeated succesful chain I'd say a League of Legends Age of Sigmar game would be perfect. You'd have your widly fantasy narrative play options in all of the most amazing worlds the Age of Sigmar universe can offer.

On that same subject, I do wish that Shadespire was that. A single hero game with technical unlimited reinforcements is something that the miniature games market isn't really covering. It allows for very easy buy-in acces and essentially allows you to bring/summon whatever your collection allows for within logical defined borders. 

While it's a fun idea I'm afraid that MOBA market might be too saturated for such a game to succed, even a few years down the line when the IP is going to become more  recogniseable (at least judging by failure of Infinite crisis game). Still I would certainly play it.

Yep that's very likely true, granted I think that the concept could be reinvented in a AoS way, simply said putting even more dimensions to the battlefield and basically having all the crazily huge characters from AoS be a functional option also.

Other than that I do think we'll eventually see an Age of Sigmar army game video game but WFB lends itself slightly better for that due to the way those units where always represented in blocks and this is frankly speaking easier to create. AoS can be molded into that block format also but my perception on AoS so far is that it's ideal for those mid-size army games (like WarmaHordes size) and less so for the Apocalypic sized WFB games.

It's also that part which I like over WFB, having units removed in a single round of combat isn't an issue if you have a lot of issues. The smaller the game becomes though the more you can focus combat on it being a real battle between individuals instead of blocks of units. I personally prefer this approach from AoS because to me melee combat is the coolest part of the game. In essence what pile in and bravery does is something I really missed in WFB, where it was clash combat, break and hope to catch to completely remove.

Based on your perception of the game a turn based tactics game (RPG or more traditional strategy) would suit AoS well. And while many may loath the idea a mobile format could really benefit from AoS's surface simplicity (few spells/abilities=less junk on the screen).

1 minute ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Just take the look and feel of Age of Sigmar and then make a Middle Earth Shadows of Mordor game. This would be amazing.

I love that game, it's a great idea, can't agree more! A nice touch could be (assuming a Stormcast would be the protagonist) a few options to reduce side effects of reforging which in of themselves could make for an entertaining moral problem. Or simply a powerfull motivation not to die.

5 minutes ago, Zeratan said:

Based on your perception of the game a turn based tactics game (RPG or more traditional strategy) would suit AoS well. And while many may loath the idea a mobile format could really benefit from AoS's surface simplicity (few spells/abilities=less junk on the screen).

Oh certainly, I think that AoS could even work as a mobile version of a LoL variant. 
The other cool thing is that because AoS is so open creatively I think the creators of such a game would really like it...

However because AoS in such creative stages I think GW likes the fact that they completely own the IP for now. Creating a computer game for a finished lore and game (WFB and to some extend 40k) is much easier to do because you have applied clear creative borders.

So far AoS doesn't seem to have clear creative borders and I love that. While something like a Lord of the Rings video game is awesome I don't think it would transfer well to AoS. As mentioned before the fantasy settings are massively different. 

5 minutes ago, Killax said:

So far AoS doesn't seem to have clear creative borders and I love that. While something like a Lord of the Rings video game is awesome I don't think it would transfer well to AoS. As mentioned before the fantasy settings are massively different. 

You've not played Shadows of Mordor have you? It's not a strategy game but a third person action game with a cool in game system where the Orc Chieftains progress over the different groups of Orcs.

It would be perfect in a AOS setting ;) 

Just now, Gaz Taylor said:

You've not played Shadows of Mordor have you? It's not a strategy game but a third person action game with a cool in game system where the Orc Chieftains progress over the different groups of Orcs.

It would be perfect in a AOS setting ;) 

Ive had a look at both but still don't think it's ideal for AoS, as said the fantasy settings are just massively different to me, if you want to make a great universe where laws of nature apply differently per domain you really have to embrace that completely. This is something I can't find in any LotR game because that's not how LotR operates within it's fantasy genre :) 

23 minutes ago, Zeratan said:

I love that game, it's a great idea, can't agree more! A nice touch could be (assuming a Stormcast would be the protagonist) a few options to reduce side effects of reforging which in of themselves could make for an entertaining moral problem. Or simply a powerfull motivation not to die.

I never realised until now how utterly perfect the concept of Stormcast Eternals is for use in video games. Even death would look cool, with the whole lightning reclaiming. It'd be neat to have your protaganist slowly lose personality with each subsequent reforging.

There's a few avenues that could be followed..

• "Dawn of Sigmar"... RTS game set following a Sigmarine campaign to recapture one of the as of yet unexplored realms.
  • More of a city building sim side in the Age of Empires theme, where a new city is developed following the realm gate wars. Trade with KO Dwarves, repel Khorne, inquisit against Tzeentch infection. etc.
  • A dungeon crawler playable on mobile devices, either by pass the tablet or coop... Digital version of Silver Tower or the 40k Execution Force. There's enough scope in Silver Tower, I think, to use that as a similar setting.
  • Arena Wars. Arena Combat set in the Azyrheim Stormcast battle arenas. Build a stormcast, fight and earn points to develop your hero to end up specializing into a particular hero. Game ends with the opening of the realm gates?
  • Murder mystery game from an inquisitors point of view in a city: solving crimes and culling heretics.
  • Assassins creed: mortal realms
  • Mentioned already - Shadow of Mordor and the chieftain mechanic - great for anti-chaos army... where ORC=KHORNE
  • Band of heros leveling up and fighting things - Final Fantasy but less ******?

18 minutes ago, Mortarch said:

There's a few avenues that could be followed..

• "Dawn of Sigmar"... RTS game set following a Sigmarine campaign to recapture one of the as of yet unexplored realms.
  • More of a city building sim side in the Age of Empires theme, where a new city is developed following the realm gate wars. Trade with KO Dwarves, repel Khorne, inquisit against Tzeentch infection. etc.
  • A dungeon crawler playable on mobile devices, either by pass the tablet or coop... Digital version of Silver Tower or the 40k Execution Force. There's enough scope in Silver Tower, I think, to use that as a similar setting.
  • Arena Wars. Arena Combat set in the Azyrheim Stormcast battle arenas. Build a stormcast, fight and earn points to develop your hero to end up specializing into a particular hero. Game ends with the opening of the realm gates?
  • Murder mystery game from an inquisitors point of view in a city: solving crimes and culling heretics.
  • Assassins creed: mortal realms
  • Mentioned already - Shadow of Mordor and the chieftain mechanic - great for anti-chaos army... where ORC=KHORNE
  • Band of heros leveling up and fighting things - Final Fantasy but less ******?

While these are some good ideas I'm a little torn between likeing your reply and the desire to crack your skull for using word "sigmarine". Yes, even the conection to DoW doesn't quite save you.

Now, back on topic, a Pirates! or Mount&blade style game would make perfect sense considering the two pirate factions in the game (more land based raiders like Bloodbound not accounted for) and how much treasures as well as lawless lands there are in the Mortal Realms.

18 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

Has everyone forgot that Warhammer: Vermintide existed? More of this please, that game is easily one of the best Warhammer games that have been made.

I would have to agree with this a group of order heroes fighting chaos in it's various forms in a vermintide kind of game would be pretty awesome. 

For me it really has to be an RPG in some form or another. The words 'RPG' and 'open world' are synonymous at the moment, but it wasn't always so and actually I don't think open world is necessarily the best fit for AoS - even the biggest and most open of game environments could never hope to capture the scope and variety of the mortal realms. I'd prefer a more focused RPG with a well-developed narrative.

OR... a very well crafted digital 'choose your own adventure' game - see Inkle's adaptations of 'Steve Jackson's Sorcery!'.

I haven't played Total War Warhammer but it does look fun - I could imagine if that series continues to be successful they could cover End Times and Age of Sigmar eventually. I would be totally into a AoS Dawn of War game. AoS doesn't really have the recognition at the moment compared to 40K but maybe one day!

The core game has the march of Chaos form the North under Archaon as a big campaign objective, given the second part is covering The High/Dark Elves and Lustria, it's fair to say that Nagash will be the focus of the 3rd part, so perhaps End Times.

All that i'd look for in AoS is a good developer. There have been some utterly awful games made under the 40k license in recent years.

11 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

The core game has the march of Chaos form the North under Archaon as a big campaign objective, given the second part is covering The High/Dark Elves and Lustria, it's fair to say that Nagash will be the focus of the 3rd part, so perhaps End Times.

All that i'd look for in AoS is a good developer. There have been some utterly awful games made under the 40k license in recent years.

I must reveal something- one of reasons for making this thread is a bit of a freekout that happend on TW:WH when people realised that the game goes in the direction of End Times and- dum, dum, dum! AoS. Also Age of Sigmar is a separate IP from WHFB and CA would have to go through another round of negotiations on top of hatred of WHFB fanatics currently gathered around them.

Archived