War Mammoth!

kzimm72

Hey Guys, was wondering what peoples thoughts on the Chaos War Mammoth.

To me it seems for the 320pts, you get quite of bang for your buck. 22 wounds can soak up a lot of damage but has potential for dealing out damage as well.

Of course, finding a suitable model to use for it would be tricky...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's very solid but also much more dicey as some of our other mega-'rocks'. Be certain to use him if you have the model or a very cool Lord of the Rings Mumakil alternative and he fits your theme.

I like him but as a Khorne fan don't have anything that fits my theme for it. Though if you do, you can obviously go all out :D

1 hour ago, Killax said:

He's very solid but also much more dicey as some of our other mega-'rocks'. Be certain to use him if you have the model or a very cool Lord of the Rings Mumakil alternative and he fits your theme.

I like him but as a Khorne fan don't have anything that fits my theme for it. Though if you do, you can obviously go all out :D

don't worry, I'm running a one man campaign to get FW to return the marks on the mammoth and skin wolves!

if we're really lucky it might become a two or three man campaign one day ;)

5 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

don't worry, I'm running a one man campaign to get FW to return the marks on the mammoth and skin wolves!

Haha sounds great! The Mammoth aspect for Chaos would most certainly be an interesting path to go into. Count me in!

1 minute ago, Killax said:

Haha sounds great! The Mammoth aspect for Chaos would most certainly be an interesting path to go into. Count me in!

well in the original Tamurkhan book the mammoth could take a mark and had the choice of being a troop carrier (howdah) or warshrine carrier - which was mentalness as you suddendly had the thing rocking a ward save on top of everything else.

In arcanum the skin wolves were again allowed the options of being marked.

I do believe that the only reason we don't see more creatures of chaos in armies is because they potentially break allegiances.

I'm currently working on the marauder army I always wanted now that the bloodreavers are here, and hence my warshrine conversion and mammoth work.  The final touch will be skin wolves.  I so dearly want them to be able to keep khorne mortal allegiance but currently the best I can hope for is chaos. as even the skin wolves will break Slaves to darkness. :(

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 11:52 PM, Kaleb Daark said:

Happy to support you.

getting back I to AoS and some more Khorne stuff would be welcome.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lou_Cypher said:

Can't go wrong with Sayl + anything really.

Flying Mammoth. 

Had a fun game where that happened against a flying Dread Saurian.

Flying Mammoth is the best for sure. We also need to have a carpet acrylic template for this :P 

• Like 1

So the cinematic dream comes closer, marauder raiders battalion warscroll from Warriors of Chaos Compendium

three units of 40 mareavers because khorne,

two units of horsemen

a warshrine 

and some skin wolves

... and two mammoths. :)

and my campaign is up two bodies, great, we can start piling the pressure on now!  I've sent a couple of emails now we might have to get the big guns out and start heckling on their facebook page!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 10:55 PM, Kaleb Daark said:

So the cinematic dream comes closer, marauder raiders battalion warscroll from Warriors of Chaos Compendium

three units of 40 mareavers because khorne,

two units of horsemen

a warshrine 

and some skin wolves

... and two mammoths. :)

and my campaign is up two bodies, great, we can start piling the pressure on now!  I've sent a couple of emails now we might have to get the big guns out and start heckling on their facebook page!

Its been three days, with three people why haven't you succeeded yet? Ugh, okay count me in if we need more peepz ;) 

But genuinely, I wonder if the Mummak model isn't a bit on the small size to house multiple warriors. As the LoTR range is quite a bit smaller if I remember correctly. I think it might be easier to go for a to mammoth or something. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Its been three days, with three people why haven't you succeeded yet? Ugh, okay count me in if we need more peepz ;) 

But genuinely, I wonder if the Mummak model isn't a bit on the small size to house multiple warriors. As the LoTR range is quite a bit smaller if I remember correctly. I think it might be easier to go for a to mammoth or something. 

the mammoth is a lot bigger than the Mammuk, which is in turn a lot bigger than a stonehorn.  I'm fortunate in that I managed to shoehorn a mammoth out of my friends' brother's paws, however I know he needed the cash so we left it at if he ever wanted it back he could buy it back for the price he sold it at, and thus, now I have two :)

I just really want the marks to return to them and the skin wolves for no other selfish motivation than I want all my army mortal khorne.  If not, then hey ho, chaos allegiance it is - because, looks cool.

I would heckle their FB page but I don't do FB anymore since my old page got hacked, so I'm a bit wary of their 'security' now.

so.. you've got a mammoth with a chieftain in it.

You happen to have some marauder horsemen.

in your hero phase you can get the marauder horsemen to roll d6 and move them that far towards the enemy. if you deployed at the 12" line then with the marauder horsemen's move of 12 + an average of 3, that's 15" move with a 9" javelin range at the end of it.  not too shabby especially with their feigned flight ability.

not exactly sayl bs, but you probably could get close enough to him to turn him into a pin cushion with some lucky javelin throws.

I used to field a pair of them actually. I would have one start on the table and summon the second one using the old chaos lords command ability  (allows him to summon one unit with the STD keyword). I'd summon it on my opponets back board edge and then sayl the other one up to make a mamoth sandwich.

They're quite good vs no rend as they get the 5+ rerollable save. If the opponent has rend though they go down very quick. They put out decent damage but not a ton. 320 is probably a fair price to be honest. the biggest effect they'll have on the table is psychological on your opponent. They do mix very well as a bravery bomb. War mamoth charge + archaon + chaos knights makes a unit have -5 bravery. Easy to pop expensive units that way.

I found they tend to do the most damage when they run into the midst of the opposing army then start flailing and doing mortal wounds when it takes damage, then falling over and causing more when it dies.

Overall, not bad but not great

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Vaz84 said:

Do you feel it's a safe purchase, given GH2 and the model no longer being made? Like off Ebay.

I feel anything Chaos Dwarf, Nurgle from FW is kinda up in the air at the moment.

Honestly?

I don't care.

I bought it for the model and its the same with my chaos dwarfs - moreso as they were not recognised in 8th ed at whw events until the eve of end times.

here's the thing, I don't live my gaming life by what tournaments and events stuff is allowed into.  I couldn't care less if SCGT doesn't want me to play it because it's in a compendium, which in many respects if that's the case  then everyone relying on Sayl in their chaos armies should be very afraid as he's in the same boat.

I wouldn't buy a war mammoth off ebay anyway as it's the provenance one cannot attest to.  I had a similar thing with selling some forgeworld mechanicum robots, as it's trying to convince people they're genuine.  Luckily for me I've kept every forgeworld bag and shipping invoice so proving genuine was not a problem - that and ebay sellers want nut case money - there are two on at the mo, and they want mega bucks, and neither can prove genuine FW.

In my group which amounts to the local store, people are cool with it.  mainly because I don't take the pee, and also because they know I'm not in it for the filth - for me rule of cool all the way.

You're probably right about it being up in the air, lets face it, it always was, but that's never stopped anyone before.

Their compendiums are poorly written, they were the barest minimum effort in order to make sure that people still bought their stuff, and in terms of updates glaciers move quicker, since 30K is their biggest cash till ringer.

So what keeps me one of the faithful? - they've released stuff for AoS and yes apart from the fimir it's pretty much cross purpose when you consider the two khorne characters, but they've also released the bull centaur executioner and they didn't have to, same with the Fimir characters which are work in progress, and the khorne lord on dragon, which tells me that simmering in the back ground a nice beautiful book might be on the cards, even if we're all retired when it lands. 

Wish list?

that all chaos models can be marked so as we can buy them and not break allegiance,  (a dozen pleading emails for mammoth and skin wolves from me alone! - as they used to be in Arcanum and Tamurkhan), and they make Fimir Chaos once more as their original fluff was that they were the first children of chaos, hence their bitterness at the races that followed.

• Like 1

I have a local who uses a War Mammoth, converted, in his Chaos Dwarves. I don't feel it's particularly good in that type of army but it's very cool and pretty fun even when it dies. Where will it fall?!

Seems like it'd be best as an anchor in a shooty list or with Sayl because everything is good with Sayl. Overall his punching power can be a bit light for the price tag but it's very durable with Mystic Shield and takes up a lot of real estate. If there was a way to heal the Mammoth it'd be incredibly good.

I hope to see a Marauder theme army with 1-2 someday.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Does anyone know what the War Mammoth's base size should be in AoS?

beyond big!

He won't fit on an imperial knight base put it that way!

4 hours ago, Samanar said:

I can see Chaos War Mammoth becoming the center piece model/behemoth for upcoming Darkoath faction... Here's hoping! ? 

I hope so :)

Have a look at the 40k squiggoths or stuff like that maybe? -  perhaps your barbarians used a different beast of similar epic proportions.

17 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

beyond big!

He won't fit on an imperial knight base put it that way!

I saw one that was next to a block of Chaos Warriors from WHFB days. That gave me a rough width measurement of 125mm based on eyeballing it next to 5 wide blocks of warriors. That would be 10mm on either side of a knight base, so sounds like you are right. That is pretty damn big. Custom base is probably the way to go. 200x130 or something? 

I have a sweet idea on how to make a model for this thing. That's why I'm asking.