Stormcast Allegiance Trait Question

TremaPDX

Question

Hi all, I'm very new to any sort of competitive gaming, but I've been painting and building a Stormcast army for a while.  I've played just a handful of games (like, 5.. literally) and have an actual tournament coming up this weekend.  I'm trying to get my 2k army situatied, and I've landed on a list that includes the Lord Celestant on Stardrake.  I have a question about one of the possible abilities for the drake; Storm-Winged.  It states one enemy unit you fly over in the movement phase can take D3 mortal wounds on a 2+.  

My question... if my Stardrake is engaged in combat... can he retreat in the next movement phase over the enemy unit that's in front of him and do some damage?  She'll have to land more than 3" away from an enemy, and can't charge that turn... but free mortal wounds?  Is that correct?

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, TremaPDX said:

Hi all, I'm very new to any sort of competitive gaming, but I've been painting and building a Stormcast army for a while.  I've played just a handful of games (like, 5.. literally) and have an actual tournament coming up this weekend.  I'm trying to get my 2k army situatied, and I've landed on a list that includes the Lord Celestant on Stardrake.  I have a question about one of the possible abilities for the drake; Storm-Winged.  It states one enemy unit you fly over in the movement phase can take D3 mortal wounds on a 2+.  

My question... if my Stardrake is engaged in combat... can he retreat in the next movement phase over the enemy unit that's in front of him and do some damage?  She'll have to land more than 3" away from an enemy, and can't charge that turn... but free mortal wounds?  Is that correct?

Yes. Now pair him with a knight heraldor and you can retreat (dealing mortal wounds), then charge back into the fray in the same turn. ;)

11 hours ago, Captain Marius said:

Agree on the heraldor shout, that guy is worth his points just for that ability, let alone his shooting attack! Works extra well with Fulminators who get damage 3 on the charge!

Lord celestant on dracoth has a thundershield that re-rolls saves on 1s, and if those re-rolls are successful, deals 1 mortal wound per re-rolled save. It has a base save of 3+, which can then be upgraded by the lord castellant to effectively a 2+, with save rolls of 6s healing 1 wound. Now, put staunch defender on it for the extra +1 save, meaning it's practically invulnerable to rend -1, and rend -2 will bring it back to a 3+ save. Want more? Ok. How about armour of silvered sigmarite, that does -1 to hit of anybody trying to hit it? Put a relictor nearby to heal it with the healing storm, or a heraldor nearby to move that guy out of combat if it gets engaged with the wrong matchups.

I'm itching to try out this combo.

Archived