Slaves to Darkness 1000 points

feadair

Hello,

This is my first attempt at a list. It is for casual play, but i would like to avoid any obvious mistakes, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
- Trait: Great Destroyer
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
- Lore of Fate: Glimpse the Future

Battleline
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Knights (200)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (100)
- Javelin & Shield

Battalions
Godsworn Champions of Ruin (60)

Total: 1000/1000

Alright, so not claiming to be an expert by any means, but I also play tzeentch S2D, so I can share what I've experienced and parrot what I've read. 

Sorcerer lord is great. I might not run glimpse the future on him for this list, as nice as destiny dice are, I don't think this list has a lot that really benefits too hard from them. If you want something that will justify glimpse,  archaon on horse or a chaos lord on foot both do very well with them. 

Chaos knights are kind of underwhelming when there's just 5 of them, they're really more of a tanking unit than a damage unit, don't really do a ton of damage. 

Warriors are good, if you throw in a warshrine they become stupid good marked Tzeentch.  Rerolling all failed save rolls, then getting an extra 6+ save after, plus Throwing mystic shield or even better shield of fate from lore of fate makes them incredibly beefy. You could actually fit in a warshrine were you to drop the knights.

I'm not 100% sure you can take the generic chaos items with tzeentch spells and destiny dice, so I don't know if crown of command is technically allowed. 

The only serious complaint I have is a lack of real damage dealers in the list, but that's something pure slaves to darkness tends to struggle with.  They pair really nice with the god specific armies, and really need their support to keep up with other armies. Don't be afraid to dip into daemons or arcanites, if you're sticking with the tzeentch theme. There's a lot of cool stuff in there to play with. 

Really what you're lacking in this list is damage output.  The easier fix to this would just be to equip the chaos warriors with two-handed weapons, or at least one unit of them.  The Battalion letting you attack in the hero phase with them should cause them to turn out a fair amount of wounds to anything charging into them that way.  Dropping the Knights for a Tzeentch Daemon Prince may not be a bad idea either - more spells and pretty nasty in combat too.

- What you need is to take out the marauders and the knights.

- Replace the Battalion with the Fatesworn Band and bring in Tzeench Chosen.

- Exchange the Demonic Lord and Great Destroyer for a Disco Lord and either +1 to hit against order or +1 to hit in general trait.

- Exchange the Chaos Sorcerer for the Tzeench Sorcerer.

- Fill the leftover points with Tzeench Spawns to get to 9 units.

Explanation...

Disco Lord has 1 destiny dice as command trait that works with absolute every roll.

Fatesworn Band gives everyone -1 rend and 6+ ward save

Chosen let everyone in a bubble reroll  wound rolls. Them self hit on 2+ and wound on 3+

Warriors will hit on 2+ and reroll 4+ to wound and have -1 rend.

The sorcerer will turn enemy models into more spawns without having a summoning pool.

Spawns will have now 2d6 3+ to hit 4+ to wound -1 rend attacks.  Potential 2+ hit, 3+ wound.

Now you have damage output and hard defense.

Getting Fatesworn Warband into a 1,000 point list is less than ideal; and in fact, near impossible.

You're setup should be fairly resilient but will lack punch. I'd say drop the battalion and marauder horsemen and add in a unit of Chosen. Then combine the Warriors into a block of 20. That way you can put Demonic Power on them from the Sorceror and all 20 will benefit.

Thanks for the replies. Howabout trying to improve the damage by swapping the Marauder Horsemen and the Battallion to Tzeentch Daemon Prince, as below?

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
- Trait: Great Destroyer
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff 
Daemon Prince Of Tzeentch (160)

Battleline
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield 
5 x Chaos Knights (200)
- Ensorcelled Weapons 
10 x Chaos Warriors (180)
- Hand Weapon & Shield 

Total: 1000/1000

Is Allegiance to Chaos (as above) or to Tzeentch better?

6 hours ago, feadair said:

Is Allegiance to Chaos (as above) or to Tzeentch better?

You need to have Allegiance  Slaves to Darkness if you want to use Chaos Knights  as Battleline, at 1000 points you already have the two required Battleline units in your warriors, so it doesn't matter in this case, but keep it in mind.

I would go for Allegiance Tzeentch unless you really need to use any of the Chaos artifacts or traits.

Thanks for the comments. Here is an updated version, with a Phantasmal Weapons wielding Daemon Prince for extra killiness and Allegiance to Tzeentch.

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- General
- Trait: Nexus of Fate - Tzeentch Mortal Hero
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (140)
- Mount: Steed
- Runestaff 
- Lore of Fate: Glimpse the Future
Daemon Prince Of Tzeentch (160)