Dynamic Painting Log

I think it looks pretty great. It doesn't look patchy at all in the pictures and I can only see debris when I zoom right in.

I particular I like the yellow and, though it's probably not what you want to hear, the black bits look great.

You've made this model look more interesting to me than the stock pics.

I'd say keep it up, but I know what it's like when a paint job just isn't sitting well with you. 

Consider this plog followed :)

Thanks guys, it wasn't a sympathy grab I was just really bummed out after spending ages on it, I imagine everyone has the same story with one or two of their models. I will keep plugging away, but I am worried the yellow is getting to the stage where the layers are slowly beginning to obscure details. I persevere.

I figure if I at least finish it all and with the details it is still disappointing me, there will be more call to strip it then, rather than now which is the halfway stage I'd guess.

I'm going to echo what others have said and that it looks good thus far.  I sometimes try to change me mind mid-painting and regret it.  Once I've done washes and highlights, I find I often got an effect I liked.  So try not to judge too early!  Or perhaps, take one section and do the washes/highlights/details and see if it meets your criteria.

Here are a couple thoughts from a guy who has 16k of painted Bad Moonz and an Ironjawz army: Try building up from a brown basecoat. XV88 is a great start. Like the illustrious and all knowing Dunc always says, thin your paints a bit more. If I look really closely, I think I see what is bothering you and that is a bit of streakiness and chalkiness. Thinning your paint and/or adding a medium will help.

The most important part is to keep at it, and learn by trying something new :)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DynamicCalories said:

WIP on the frigate. Really not happy with how it's turning out. Such a big model with so much intricate detail seems to invite mistakes. 

Im finding dust and debris to be a nightmare too, adding to the patchiness of the paint work. Almost impossible to get a consistent yellow colour, despite there being at least three layers on. Think i'm going to look into stripping it and starting again. A waste of time. Damn.

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5069.JPG

If i may?, i love that yellow you have got there, honestly do you have the lamenters yellow glaze?, maybe try that?

• Like 1

Cheers folks! Efforts are being redoubled and I am feeling a lot more confident about it!

@Dez I did start with XV88, and I am using Zamesi Desert for the yellow and Yriel for the highlight (possibly flash gits for the next level)

@April I haven't got any lamenters yellow but I may well try it, cheers.

I have a name now - Karak Ztorm (which I believe is enduring storm according to the wiki) and a Bloodborne inspired SkyPort rune!

IMG_5071.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

• Like 5

Just so you know I wasn't being insincerely sympathetic. I'm always doubting my paint jobs. In fact I've never finished an army, always going back to redo jobs or changing my mind on schemes. If I can help someone avoid that disease all the better :)

This is my favourite sky pirate thread so far. I really can't wait to see a unit of arkanauts standing next to a fully painted ship (no pressure) :P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

The Kharadrons are the best. Very neatly painted, very accurate, and with very good paints it seems! Barak-Mjornar I'd presume?

I think I am going to be making my own skyport but on the table at the minute I plan to use Zilfin as the ruleset - I just really like the atmosphere drop stuff, I'm not in it for competition. 

@ZealousJ I am not looking forward to painting all of my arkanauts, they're very nice models but as such super fiddly. A far cry from the simplicity of painting plaguebearers! I am looking forward to getting them all done though, basing will probably be really basic astrogranite and snow, but I am getting some shattered dominion stuff for the boats.

Right, I think I'll redo my windows as I clearly don't have the technique down, but apart from the crew (and the bombs which I forgot to paint!) I think this is pretty close to complete, so now for a fortnight break whilst I do my revision... here is the newly re-christened "Oath Hammer" phew!

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG

• Like 6

18 hours ago, The Traitor said:

Gorgeous ship, I think the windows are pretty good as they are! However the silver and the yellow strike me as too plain, maybe some shading could make them look better? Even though I like it a lot overall, the scheme is very cool.

Thanks! I think the silver is coming out bad in the lighting I'm using, it's actually quite heavily shaded with Drakenhoff and shaded to make it look patch and dirty. The yellow probably does need a shade but I am finding it tough to hit the balance on that. All details that I'll be working out when I make the final push.

I've just found this thread and I have to say it's great watching a hobbyist develop their skills.  

As for the Frigate... you've done a really good job powering through even though you've experienced difficulties, I wouldn't strip it, if you're really not happy with it then buy another (you could even sell the first one for a good price if you really didn't want two of them).  

The key with flat surfaces to get the best finish possible really is to spray them, there's no two ways about it.  Having said that however when an air brush isn't an option there are a few tricks to get a good result, using spray cans as close to the colours you want, and masking off parts so you're doing as much work with a spray as possible.

I'd look separate of the support struts, then use the Averland Sunset or even a bone or pale yellow from Army Painter to get as close to the yellow you want as possible, (even a white undercoat on these parts would be better than starting with black).  For yellow and bright colours in general starting lighter is better to get a smooth result as you'll need less layers to get the colour your after.  Then I'd mask off the strip along the body of the Frigate and prime the rest with black.

Another thing to try and avoid is getting too thick a coverage with your undercoats, I find two very light dustings are perfect, it doesn't matter if you can still see a bit of the grey of the plastic showing through as this will be covered by the top coat.  

Another thing you can do after using thinned paints to get your top coat colours down if there are still some lumps of paint that have appeared from brushing the paint on, you can get some ultra fine sanding sticks and very carefully sand the lumps smooth then give another go over with very thin top coat colour.  Some types of printer paper is also rough enough to use for this at a push.  Lastly using Purity Seal satin varnish can help give flat surfaces a nice sheen, but will mess up your metallics a bit.

As for your windows I think they look great but they just need a coat of a gloss varnish like 'Ardcoat.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by cb_rex
  • Like 1

Lovely plog, great to see Someone work on one of those big frigates. I guess the scale of a model like this puts a painter in all kinds of new challenging situations. 

Since you want to improve Yourself I have some minor notes. The freehand runes are good, you could make them even tighter by using black on the outlines. Pthe Windows might look better with a small white line on the top, as you would do with gems. Finally, the figurehead is so large I think you can go a little heavier on the shading to make it stand out more. 

Good luck!