The Painting Contract - April 2017

Mohojoe

On 4/1/2017 at 4:47 PM, Mohojoe said:

Also, out of curiosity, with some people not being in the UK, would people rather have a prize for a painting competition that they had to pay postage for, or a GW voucher?

No prizes.  

My personal opinion is that prizes diminish the hobby and ecourage ... um ... questionable action.

Compete for pride.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to clear up some backlog, but... I can't stop buying new stuff. So April pledge will be 1000pts of stormcast vanguard.  Bonus will be to maybe finish one of my small forces of pestilins, ironjawz, fyreslayers, beastclawz or nurgle daemons which are in various stages of painting.

OK so I've almost caught up my March pledges so here is my target for April:

A second slaughterpriest (unless the Aspiring Deathbringer with a spear becomes awesome in the new book).

The Mighty Zug for Bloodbowl. 

A Genestealer patriarch, 2 Genestealers and 6 acolyte hybrids. Aiming to get them done before 24th April!

3 hours ago, mhsellwood said:

Got myself a CPA (Certified Practising Accountant) exam this month, so I will not pledge anything at this point. When the Kharadron come out I will see if I can squeeze a bit of painting time out...

Good luck with the exam?

So, I have managed to get past the Tzaangors. Good models, not totally happy with them but they are done. And with that (bar a couple of bases) my Silver Tower set is finished. Yay.

And here they are:

DSC_0222.jpg

I have also done the test model for my Bonesplitterz. The back story: This tribe has a group of Fimir "aiding" them. The influence of the Fimir is making the Bonesplitterz ill, hence the washed out skin tones. I do plan to add some blood once they have earned some.

Front View:

DSC_0225.jpg

Butt cam:

DSC_0226.jpg

1. 250pt+ of Skaven
  2. 300pt+ of Dark elves
  3. Some extra jungle themed terrain
  4. And if possible finish my first unit of spartan style Chaos Warriors. 

With these stormvermin I finished 2 rat swarms and 10 stormvermin. So goal 1 down, 2 more to go! ?

IMG_9243.JPG.a01171376a927752f4d4055b40774d26.JPG

Thanks guys.

@Tzaangor Management I agree that the green bit is an important part. For me, a lot of making a model pop is the idea of "the final highlight." Usually it means literally doing one more tiny highlight that adds just the right little something, but the concept extends to picking out the small details here an there too.  It's easy to gloss them over (as you can see in some of my speed-painting or board game model like Black Plague stuff), but when you take the extra 5 minutes for the final highlight, it makes a difference

@DynamicCalories There's no trick to it.  Right tool for the job, precision, dark against light at edges. I've been in this hobby for 31 years, so practice actually pays off. :)

On 4/7/2017 at 0:21 PM, Let's 'ere it for da boyz! said:

I'll shoot for:

5 Retributors...

Got the Prime done.  I'd like to try some edge highlighting on him (not something I've ever attempted), but I'm afraid of spoiling the work I've done so far.  Anyone have any pointers for an edge highlighting novice?  And does everyone think the 'juice is worth the squeeze' as it were?

IMG_0196.JPG

3 hours ago, Let's 'ere it for da boyz! said:

Got the Prime done.  I'd like to try some edge highlighting on him (not something I've ever attempted), but I'm afraid of spoiling the work I've done so far.  Anyone have any pointers for an edge highlighting novice?  And does everyone think the 'juice is worth the squeeze' as it were?

IMG_0196.JPG

Might not be helpfull but I practice all new techniques and ideas on clanrats. Don't mind if they look grubby ;) 

Archived