Nurgle's Newb - help me complete, you're my only hope!

CaptainBoxman

OK, so I'm new to picking up AoS; I'm a returning player from earlier editions of 40k and WHFB.

I've got this as a basic list to start with, I was hoping for advice in what to add to it to complete. My main choices are out of a Great Unclean One (240), a unit of Plague Drones (220), or a Lord of Plagues (100) and a Chaos Sorcerer (140). I'm more looking for a balance of thematic fun and playability rather than a perfectly optimised list.

Daemon Prince Of Nurgle (160)

10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)

Total: 720/1000

I know it's pretty slow, so the Daemon Prince and Plague Drone combo will go nice with some speed and synergy shared between them. Great Unclean One looks awesome, but will reduce the potential model count a fair bit, and the model is a bit naff.

Lord of Plagues is nice for survival and gently buffing at a fairly low points value

Just not sure what the coolest way to take it might be

On March 29, 2017 at 4:18 PM, CaptainBoxman said:

OK, so I'm new to picking up AoS; I'm a returning player from earlier editions of 40k and WHFB.

I've got this as a basic list to start with, I was hoping for advice in what to add to it to complete. My main choices are out of a Great Unclean One (240), a unit of Plague Drones (220), or a Lord of Plagues (100) and a Chaos Sorcerer (140). I'm more looking for a balance of thematic fun and playability rather than a perfectly optimised list.

Daemon Prince Of Nurgle (160)

Total: 1000/1000

I know it's pretty slow, so the Daemon Prince and Plague Drone combo will go nice with some speed and synergy shared between them. Great Unclean One looks awesome, but will reduce the potential model count a fair bit, and the model is a bit naff.

Lord of Plagues is nice for survival and gently buffing at a fairly low points value

Just not sure what the coolest way to take it might be

Might suggest trading out the Plaguebearers for Marauders and doing something like this:

• Harbinger of Decay (140) - [General] w/ Lord of War and Crown of Conquest
  • Daemon Prince Of Nurgle (160)
  • 10 x Marauders (60)
  • 10 x Marauders (60)
  • 5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)
  • 5 x Putrid Blightkings (180)
  • 3 x Plague Drones (220)

Total: 1000/1000

This way the Drones can have their locus triggered by either of the heroes (both are Nurgle Daemons) and the majority of your foot troops will gain the 5++ save from your general.  The Crown of conquest can keep a unit of Marauders immune to battleshock as well.  Finally, the Plague Drones and Daemon Prince are punchy and cohesive enough that you can send them off from your main force if needed.

(Edit: This is of course if you want to keep the Plague Drones.  I generally feel they are overcosted and you could get a better bang for your buck elsewhere.  For only 20 points more, you could grab Belakor, which is arguably better than the Daemon Prince and the Drones combined.  If you did that, I would use the remaining 140 for summoning.  Alternatively, you could use those points to upgrade one of the units of Marauders to Chaos Warriors, pick up a chaos sorcerer, or upgrade one of those blocks of 10 marauders to 20 Plaguebearers.  All would be great grabs.)

Archived