Balewind vortex, points down the drain or no

robotnik_taco

Question

Question about the balewind vortex. I had assumed, like most summoned things, a reserve of 100 points was required to bring this beauty into play. Then, if you got sick of looking at it, you could, poof! dismiss it. Now, i assumed at this point, to resummon it, you would need to pay the points yet again. However, in this useful little article,          https://aos-tactics.com/2017/03/06/summoning-in-age-of-sigmar/

the author mentions, that this doesnt cost points after the initial investment? any idea where this is clarified? It would be handy to be able to do this to make the caster way less visible to shooting after it does its thing, but only having the vortex around for a turn or two seems kind of wasteful. 

If this is the case, could i summon the vortex with one wizard, cast some spells, dismiss it and then have another cast it and use it all in one turn, or am i being far too liberal with the phrase 'beginning of the hero phase'.

You certainly can't summon it, dismiss it, then summon it again all in one hero phase, if nothing else the Rules of One mean you can only attempt "Summon Balewind Vortex" once per turn.

I would also say "at the start of your hero phase" has to come before anything else you do in the hero phase, so you cannot summon and then dismiss a vortex in the same turn.

As for whether subsequent summons cost additional points, that's still unclear. If I was asked to make a ruling, I'd personally say that it does cost additional points, but I can see that an argument could be made either way.

I don't believe this has been clarified anywhere yet.  It is not a normal summon like a unit is.  It can not be slain and removed from play.  You are paying the points for it to be used in your list and there are no rules governing its removal from the table as being removed from play.  I see no RAW reason you should not be able to summon it freely after paying the cost to have it in your list.  I would certainly have a discussion with your gaming group about it beforehand however.  

Archived