Events UK: Doubles Event: The Orthrus, 17th June - Norwich

Jamie Grinstead

Event Title: Doubles Event: The Orthrus, 19th June - Norwich
Event Author: Jamie Grinstead
Calendar: Events UK
Event Date: 06/17/2017 09:30 AM to 06/17/2017 06:30 PM

Battles are not just won by a single being, it is achieved by a group working together to achieve an overall goal. This is what the Orthrus tournament is here to honour as we welcome you to take part in a team based Age of Sigmar tournament.

Each player in a team must select an army based upon the “Preparing Your Doubles Army” in our rules document. Only Warscrolls and Warscroll battalions with a Pitched Battle profile may be used in this event. The most recent Warscroll for a character or unit must be used.

All models must be fully painted and based on either square or round bases. If you have a model which is unfinished then we will politely ask you to remove it from the table.

You can find the approximate schedule for the event below.

8:30am Doors Open
9:25am Welcome and event briefing
9:30am–12:00pm Game 1
12:00pm–1:00pm Lunch and painting judging
1:00pm-3:30pm Game 2
3:30pm-3:45pm Break
3:45pm-6:15pm Game 3
6:30pm Results and awards

Entry Price: £20 per team (two players).

Rules Document: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6or2g60tax4vn54/Warhammer%20Doubles%20Rules.pdf?dl=0

Tickets: http://www.athenagames.com/catalog/tournament_entry/age_of_sigmar__the_orthrus_tournament__17th_june/311723

Doubles Event: The Orthrus, 19th June - Norwich

Edited by Jamie Grinstead
  • Like 2

Battles are not just won by a single being, it is achieved by a group working together to achieve an overall goal. This is what the Orthrus tournament is here to honour as we welcome you to take part in a team based Age of Sigmar tournament.

Each player in a team must select an army based upon the “Preparing Your Doubles Army” in our rules document. Only Warscrolls and Warscroll battalions with a Pitched Battle profile may be used in this event. The most recent Warscroll for a character or unit must be used.

All models must be fully painted and based on either square or round bases. If you have a model which is unfinished then we will politely ask you to remove it from the table.

Rules Document: We are still finalising the rules pack, however here is the "Preparing Your Doubles Army Section" to help you plan:

• Each player may select a Force worth up to 1,000 points. Points don’t carry over between players.

• Warscroll Battalions must be fully contained in one player’s Force.

• Each Force is selected individually using the restrictions laid down in the “Vanguard” bracket of the General’s Handbook.

• Each player may select a General for their Force, and each may use their command ability in your team’s turn. Each command ability can only affect friendly models from that General’s Force, or, where applicable, enemy models.

• The Rules of One are in effect across the team’s Army.

• The Forces do not have to be from the same Grand Alliance.

• Allegiances (and therefore Traits, Artefacts and Battleline units) are determined individually for each Force.

• Any Pitched Battle Profile that specifies that it can only be taken once in an army can only be taken once in your team’s Army.

• Battle and Command Traits are determined for each Force individually and can only affect enemy Warscrolls and friendly Warscrolls from your own Force.

• Triumphs from the Pitched Battle are determined based on the difference between each team’s Armies points value.

• Reinforcement Points are determined individually for each player’s Force and reinforcements must be summoned from the same Grand Alliance.

• In all Pitched Battle battleplans, replace all instances of the word “player” with “team”.

Damnnnnnnn! Count me and Damien in. Hopefully will have some sky Dorfs! Will pop in around the 18th to get a ticket and pick up some models fella. You gonna unleash the waggghhh! This time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

Damnnnnnnn! Count me and Damien in. Hopefully will have some sky Dorfs! Will pop in around the 18th to get a ticket and pick up some models fella. You gonna unleash the waggghhh! This time?

I will be playing in this one, although not sure if I will be taking Ironjawz or the pirate dwarfs...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We've got a wedding I need Poland on 9 June but if we're back in the U.K. by 19th, then I'm def coming! 

jimbo

Well I hope the wedding goes well. It would be great to see you at the tournament. If not, then I think we are currently looking at August for our next singles Age of Sigmar tournament.

• Like 2

Good news - I'm definitely back from the Poland wedding.  

Bad news - I'm on another stag do (for a chap that's already married!!!)

A few of the EATBATS boys should be coming to the doubles and I'll be looking to attend the singles in August!  Good luck with the event and chuck some photos on twitter on the day so I can follow the fun!

Jimbo

On 28/03/2017 at 8:57 AM, Lord Caskey said:

Hi,

Please can you sign up Ollie Fox and Ben Mardle for this!

Cheers,

Ben

Tickets will be up soon for this event, however I will reserve a space for you both for now :).

On 28/03/2017 at 11:09 PM, Mohojoe said:

@Jamie Grinstead Just curious, what was the choice behind not having command abilities affecting your team mates units? Seems like it removes more tactical thought than it adds or am i missing something that is exploitable?

So to me, it seemed to be a trade off... I believe you could either have that both players must use the same Grand Alliance or just restrict the command abilities. Thematically I feel it fits as well, something that works on, say, orruks wouldn't necessarily work on humans.

I am not saying that the ruleset that we have is in any way perfect for this one and I am expecting to may be have to make some house rules for a few things, such as around double Tzeentch armies and their destiny dice as an example.

On 30/03/2017 at 0:00 PM, Jimbo said:

Good news - I'm definitely back from the Poland wedding.  

Bad news - I'm on another stag do (for a chap that's already married!!!)

A few of the EATBATS boys should be coming to the doubles and I'll be looking to attend the singles in August!  Good luck with the event and chuck some photos on twitter on the day so I can follow the fun!

Jimbo

You can't have a stag do if you are already married... Seems a bit backwards!

Awesome sounds good. I will be playing in this one however will throw up some pictures when I can!

P.S Sorry for the late reply to everyone, I was away at a demo event for Runewars (An upcoming FFG game).

• Like 1

On 27/03/2017 at 7:09 PM, Jamie Grinstead said:

Rules Document: We are still finalising the rules pack, however here is the "Preparing Your Doubles Army Section" to help you plan
:

• Each player may select a Force worth up to 1,000 points. Points don’t carry over between players.

• Warscroll Battalions must be fully contained in one player’s Force.

• Each Force is selected individually using the restrictions laid down in the “Vanguard” bracket of the General’s Handbook.

• Each player may select a General for their Force, and each may use their command ability in your team’s turn. Each command ability can only affect friendly models from that General’s Force, or, where applicable, enemy models.

• The Rules of One are in effect across the team’s Army.

• The Forces do not have to be from the same Grand Alliance.

• Allegiances (and therefore Traits, Artefacts and Battleline units) are determined individually for each Force.

• Any Pitched Battle Profile that specifies that it can only be taken once in an army can only be taken once in your team’s Army.

• Battle and Command Traits are determined for each Force individually and can only affect enemy Warscrolls and friendly Warscrolls from your own Force.

• Triumphs from the Pitched Battle are determined based on the difference between each team’s Armies points value.

• Reinforcement Points are determined individually for each player’s Force and reinforcements must be summoned from the same Grand Alliance.

• In all Pitched Battle battleplans, replace all instances of the word “player” with “team”.

For the battle traits does that mean 2 identical armies cannot benefit from a heroes ability like say me and my mate take the new kharadons we can't benefit from the same navigator? 

2 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

For the battle traits does that mean 2 identical armies cannot benefit from a heroes ability like say me and my mate take the new kharadons we can't benefit from the same navigator? 

That is correct, this is one rule we weren't sure about however because you can mix Grand Alliances between team mates, we weren't sure if this would potentially create something broken so having heroes only help their own Force rather than the whole Army seemed safest.

Right, sorry for being quiet recently! My brother has been ill which meant double the work for me!

Here is the 1st version of the rules pack, we may still make sure tweaks if we feel like there is something broken (Things like Tzeentch destiny dice):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6or2g60tax4vn54/Warhammer%20Doubles%20Rules.pdf?dl=0

Tickets are also available from the website:

http://www.athenagames.com/catalog/tournament_entry/age_of_sigmar__the_orthrus_tournament__17th_june/311723

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The tournament is now less than a week away and there are still spaces for anyone wanting to attend!
Everyone attending will receive a token that they can use as an objective marker, on top of all the prizes!

Hi Jamie, unfortunately things have gone mental at work and I'm not going to be able to attend. Apologies and I hope you have a great event

1 minute ago, Mohojoe said:

Hi Jamie, unfortunately things have gone mental at work and I'm not going to be able to attend. Apologies and I hope you have a great event

Sorry to hear that! Although it has all gone a bit mental here as well with the release of new edition of 40K as well so completely understand!

• Like 1