Your Hobby Area

So I'm going to be moving house soon and the house we are looking at means I still get to have a Hobby Room/Office which is great. But I'm wondering what people have in their Hobby Rooms/Areas and what they see as a must have. (I'm basically looking at pinching ideas). My current hobby room is very basic but has basically become a dumping room.

I've tried to keep my hobby room fairly basic (although it does on occasion become a dumping ground and needs a massive tidy up).  In addition to the normal things (like a desk, cutting mat, lamp etc) I've got some wall mounted paint racks from HobbyZone.pl and a pillar drill stand.  Seating wise, I've got an adjustable stool.  Consumable wise my must haves include Blue Roll and Vinyl Gloves.

5 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

So I'm going to be moving house soon and the house we are looking at means I still get to have a Hobby Room/Office which is great. But I'm wondering what people have in their Hobby Rooms/Areas and what they see as a must have. (I'm basically looking at pinching ideas). My current hobby room is very basic but has basically become a dumping room.

My hobby room's must have: 

1. Computer Area

2. Painting area that I don't need to tear down

In my hobby room: 

1. 3 Computer Stations (for Minecraft LAN parties with the kids) 

2. Display cabinets

3. 4x4 table (collapsible) 

The closet has heavy duty wire shelves in it for storing things, mostly in plastic tubs.

I can post a photo later when I get home. 

Here is an example of what I have set up. I hobby all around the house, however; I wanted a central point for paint and accessories. 

I have a few glass cabinets from IKEA to store miniatures, a few storage containers to pack away scenery, and a hardware shelf to store boxes, cases, and the things that annoy wives if not packed 

IMG_7975.JPG

My office is also my studio/mancave/hobby room. I've 2 computers set up side by side, one for work and one for play. That way, the two never get confused and I don't get sidetracked (too much!). Otherwise nothing would be done :)

Paint stands for sure, I have the Hobbyzone ones too. I've also got a permanent 6x4 table with plenty of storage, as well as a few shelving units for minis. 

Unfortunately it does get to be a little bit of a dumping ground, and I'm currently cleaning. As soon as I have that wrapped up I'll share pics...maybe a video.

I just use an old foamless carry case to store all my paint. My attic hobby room has the benefit of being fairly spacious, away from the rest of the house, so I can leave whole armies set up if I'm going back over basing or whatever. After years of hobbying in kitchens and lounges I couldn't go back. 

IMG_20170324_111637.jpg

Quite jealous of you people who have big areas for hobby!  I've got the small bedroom for mine, couple of desks (one for computer one for hobby) but most of my space is taken up with two large cupboards which contain many, many years worth of models, the paint that won't fit in the racks and other random junk I've collected :)  That said I tend to do most of my brush painting in the living room now - better access to the telly!

My hobby areas is divided. 

I have this closeable desk in the kitchen for day to day painting

IMG_1207.JPG.b5417ddb6739fa6d8874389b84b498a1.JPGIMG_1208.JPG.eee4478c0f7e2f1c03bd717cf4439436.JPG

When I close the lid, the wife is happy. Which is imporant....you know...happy wife, happy life...?

Then I have a couple of rooms in the basement which is more chaotic

IMG_1211.JPG.241ce6465d838d5de95760d96b13c019.JPGIMG_1209.JPG.3111a060f1a84e7c74e09823beb6eb5e.JPGIMG_1210.JPG.b0b3c9e1e80c781366e8fa68daf71185.JPG

as you can see I have waaaay to many projects going on

49 minutes ago, Galas said:

I have to say it. Seeing all your backlog, make me feel better about mine! :P 

Sorry!

And what you see there is only the ones who are built and put on a shelf....you see those cabinets....they're filled with builds but unprimed and unbuilt minis, some even in the shrink wrap ??

yet im buying all the new Kharadron overlords....

At the moment I am in the sunroom out the back, which means in an Australian Summer it is about 45 degrees and during winter it is freezing. Being a sunroom it is removed from the heating and cooling of the rest of the house.

I have a desk with all my paint station stuff permanently set up, a bookcase, a few storage areas, it is nice.

But.

In two weeks we begin our renovation. we demolish half our house and then extend. Part of the extension is a separate hobby room that open on to the backyard and is attached to the back of the new double garage. The room, which is literally my dedicated hobby room is 5m x 3.2m. It will be kitted out with some permanent shelving, display cabinets, work desk, spray booth, light box for photographing minis and 1 maybe even 2 permanent 6x4 gaming tables set up.

It will be glorious. I will post pics once the build is complete. After 20 years in the hobby- its gonna be amazing. M gaming group is pretty much as excited as I am!

6 hours ago, Tanka said:

Part of the extension is a separate hobby room that open on to the backyard and is attached to the back of the new double garage. The room, which is literally my dedicated hobby room is 5m x 3.2m. It will be kitted out with some permanent shelving, display cabinets, work desk, spray booth, light box for photographing minis and 1 maybe even 2 permanent 6x4 gaming tables set up.

I'm excited for you too. It sounds magnificent! Look forward to seeing pictures. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2017 at 8:27 AM, yarrickson said:

I just use an old foamless carry case to store all my paint. My attic hobby room has the benefit of being fairly spacious, away from the rest of the house, so I can leave whole armies set up if I'm going back over basing or whatever. After years of hobbying in kitchens and lounges I couldn't go back. 

IMG_20170324_111637.jpg

Really liking the framed copy of weekly White Dwarf #75. I may steal this idea as that issue was by far my favourite of the weekly White Dwarfs due to it launching AoS.

1 hour ago, AdamJ said:

Really liking the framed copy of weekly White Dwarf #75. I may steal this idea as that issue was by far my favourite of the weekly White Dwarfs due to it launching AoS.

The White Dwarfs are month of my Birth (Jan 84) my 18th birthday (lotr one) and my wedding day (weekly 75). Just this week added the March '17 triumvirate one for birth of my firstborn. 

2 hours ago, yarrickson said:

The White Dwarfs are month of my Birth (Jan 84) my 18th birthday (lotr one) and my wedding day (weekly 75). Just this week added the March '17 triumvirate one for birth of my firstborn. 

What a great idea! Most of your dates are very similar to mine for all of these events. In fact you've intrigued me to find out what the White Dwarf from my month of birth was like - June '85.

Archived