Adepticon Results?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

He at least had Stormcast!  I made it to table 2 on round 5 with over 80% of my models composed of Chaos Warriors and Marauders :D #hardmode

You keep saying this but your list is like the phoenix list.  Doesnt look like much but its actually hard to shift.  I'm guessing you didn't play much of the Tzeentch filth that was about....

3 minutes ago, domus said:

You keep saying this but your list is like the phoenix list.  Doesnt look like much but its actually hard to shift.  I'm guessing you didn't play much of the Tzeentch filth that was about....

I did play Kaleb, who won best overall with his 18 skyfires, in round 5.  I had him shut out points wise until the bottom of the last turn, but the way points are calculated (by both objective and turn total), he jumped ahead of me (despite me holding multiple objectives for multiple turns).  I think I could have taken him if his 18 skyfires didn't have perm +1 to hit from every building and fence being Damned terrain in that final round ;-)

3 hours ago, Bradifer said:

What about 6th place David Griffon or 8th place Mitch Cowan?

My list specialized in knocking out big stompy generals and then snagging objectives. Fortunately, I drew armies that were focused around a large monstrous hero, so this tactic worked 4/5 times. Turns out a tooled out Necrosphinx (+1 hit, rerolling hits, mystic shield) can pretty happily delete most things. Couple that with a Cloak of Mist and Shadows VLoZD, and it's quite a nasty first turn. It went awry when I went up against Heelan's Sylvaneth, and I couldn't break them. Death generally doesn't match up well against Sylvaneth, due to lack of consistent mortal wounds or shooting.

Also, my ranking may change, as my Sports score was entered incorrectly - I didn't get 26/40 Sports :). 

3 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Both were mixed death lists.

@David Griffin's was this (posted earlier):
58dab7cad7772_ScreenShot2017-03-28at2_21_28PM.png.64c45c169ed077c00feae6c2ebe366f8.png.31f78ffc40509369d93e34fc0fb888ae.png

@Mc1gamer's was a Coven Throne, Mourngul, a Mortis Engine, a VloAT, a necromancer, two sets of 5 blood knights, 3 sets of 10 zombies, and a large summoning pool.

Actually my list is below. I had 320 pts in summoning and pulled in different combos of zombies, hexwraiths, etc., as needed. Its a general Death list, what I had painted to a quality needed for an event of Adepticon's caliber, and while its pretty tough, but its not top tier. by any means. Some elements are tough, but there are severe weaknesses too, especially against the apex armies and lists out there. I often like to play non-standard/non-net lists and try to mix in units that aren't played much. If I over-achieve, its more of a win for me. There were some very tough lists at Adepticon, but there were also many very very good players. Its the combo that makes people do well in the standings, along with good sportsmanship and paint.

I think it was nice to see Death faction well represented and even more so that there were non-TK lists that did well. Death still has tools to compete, though its an uphill climb vs the more recent released sub-factions....and the creative list builders. Tom for example outright won a test game we played to see how viable his list was.....in half a turn. Yep...we didn't play it out, but it was clear in the top of 1 that he won the game. We'd have rolled the dice if it was at the event, but just looking at the board we both have enough experience that we both knew what was happening and how it would play out. My list had few to no answers for what he had. I expected he'd have gone in the end to top 3 but that's why we roll the dice and play the games right? :)

Allegiance: Death

Leaders
Coven Throne (260)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Tomb Blade
Heinrich Kemmler, The Lichemaster (160)
Vampire Lord On Abyssal Terror (220)
- Deathlance

Battleline
5 x Blood Knights (260)
10 x Zombies (60)
10 x Zombies (60)
10 x Zombies (60)

Behemoths
Mourngul (400)
Mortis Engine (180)

Total: 1660/2000

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2017 at 1:40 PM, David Griffin said:

My list specialized in knocking out big stompy generals and then snagging objectives. Fortunately, I drew armies that were focused around a large monstrous hero, so this tactic worked 4/5 times. Turns out a tooled out Necrosphinx (+1 hit, rerolling hits, mystic shield) can pretty happily delete most things. Couple that with a Cloak of Mist and Shadows VLoZD, and it's quite a nasty first turn. It went awry when I went up against Heelan's Sylvaneth, and I couldn't break them. Death generally doesn't match up well against Sylvaneth, due to lack of consistent mortal wounds or shooting.

Also, my ranking may change, as my Sports score was entered incorrectly - I didn't get 26/40 Sports :). 

@David Griffin
Congrats on your awesome victory. The death community owes you a debt of gratitude for proving that a mixed death force can survive and even thrive in the current meta .. and even without a Mourngul. 

A VL on Dragon provides the Re-roll hits, where is +1 to hit coming from on your Necrosphinx?

I see some cool photos on your twitter. Nice battle board! I see some conga line dire wolves. Could you explain some of your basic tactics that work for you?

@Mc1gamer
Congrats to you too (even if you did it with a mourngul :P ) Would you mind sharing what was working for you?

At LVO I made it to 13th but then got blown out by a Khorne missile in game 6 :/ 
I had a FEC list with Neferata and some skeletons. Probably retire Neferata for a while until Ruler of the Night is not so mandatory - and move away from hordes, instead using only chaff zombies for BL.

On 4/21/2017 at 2:25 PM, WoollyMammoth said:

Congrats on your awesome victory. The death community owes you a debt of gratitude for proving that a mixed death force can survive and even thrive in the current meta .. and even without a Mourngul. 

A VL on Dragon provides the Re-roll hits, where is +1 to hit coming from on your Necrosphinx?

I see some cool photos on your twitter. Nice battle board! I see some conga line dire wolves. Could you explain some of your basic tactics that work for you?

Thank you! Yeah, I made a conscious effort to not include a Mourngul in the list.

The +1 came from Damned terrain. I was fortunate enough to be able to place my Sphinx near Damned in many of my games.

Happy to share tactics. Here are a few of my stand-by's:

1) I know I'm never going to be able to dictate first turn, because there aren't any battalions to decrease my drops. For this reason, I almost always set up my army with layers of chaff around it, which is probably what you saw with the Dire Wolf line. This discourages people from alpha-striking me.  The other side of this is that if you do give me 1st turn, I have multiple units that can move across the entire board in a turn like VLoZD + Cloak & Sphinx + VLoAT. 

2) My army is built to move in waves. First turn I send the VLoZD and Sphinx forward and run the Mortis Engine and Blood Knights forward as fast as I can behind them. In my next turn, pop the reliquary to (hopefully) heal my monsters, and then follow them with two units of Blood Knights to clean up what's left. 

3) Speed, speed, speed. Even with the point increase, I'll probably still run the VLoAT. Death has no good shooting and doesn't have a way to alpha strike gunlines without the double movement spell. Having a guaranteed 26" threat radius on Blood Knights is immense, and being able to send the Sphinx 30"-40" to remove power centers is so useful.

@David Griffin
Awesome. Damned terrain on a model that halves mortal and gets a death save. very cool

I had a bad game 6 at LVO because I didn't protect from a first turn sayl rush. I need to start protecting with some cheap chaff for sure.

I used a similar 1000pt list I'm working on last night against some ogors and their stonehorn. My bloodknights charged first turn and managed to grind out the Stonehorn over time.

Archived