Battle Reports: Dice rolls or no?

foolsama

I like to see them if they matter, if they are out of the ordinary, and everyone is freaking out because they are.

For example: In my last match I played a Shadowstrike Starhost, and my Terradon riders rolled with their bolas and I got 16 wound rolls out of the three attacks with their bolas. My opponent's Maw-Krusha rolled bad saves so I caused ten wounds on him. I'd like to see such a roll.

How can you tell if the editing of a video is good? You are not able to see it. ;-)

For me leaving dice rolls out only emphasises cuts in the video - the viewer knows they must have happened, so there is a feeling of 'time jumps' in the game. 

A video battle report that gives the illusion of a game happening right now is better (or at least more interesting) than after-the-fact narration. Dice rolls are integral to miniature wargames and without them the whole thing might be perceived as being done piecemeal.

My suggestion is: show dice rolls but shorten the footage of them to the bare minimum and cut to their consequences immediately after concentrating for a few moments on the results. For instance: after one player rolls saves for his unit, leave the dice in plain view for two or three seconds and then show him removing the models with a voice-over commentary.

Archived