Custom Exotic Adversaries (Looking for Feedback)

Circus of Paint

It's to match the likes of Grot Scuttlings, Blue Horrors and the such. Vigour 1 is reserved for really puny things like Brimstone Horrors.

I've also not included the usual +1 Vigour bonus for using a Shield - I presume most AoS players have their Clanrats with Shields but didn't want to prescribe that as being needed in my Adversary rules. You could assume that bonus is part of the existing 2 Vigour I've given them - that's my train of thought anyway.

Also, I would of added rules for slingshots, but I don't own any (of what were) Skaven-slaves myself!

Well, your counterpoints are much better thought out than my original critique! I hadn't thought about a comparison with Scuttlings (which I agree seems like a reasonable equivalence). I guess I just look at the Clanrats in Age of Sigmar and 1 wound seems right -- taking it into the Silver Tower isn't a direct 1-1 transfer.

Anyway, here's another one I brewed up - this time its the Darkoath Chieftain as an Adversary! I've a number of Chaos Heroes that I'll be giving the old Adversary treatment.

I think this one might still need a bit of work, as his attack potential is quite variable (just like his Heroic counterpart!) Most of the character I try to put it is in the Behaviour table - the Darkoath Chieftain can be deadly against one or several Heroes at once. However, I added in the Bloodlust! result as a call-back to classic 90's WHQ - wildly swinging at both friend and foe (albeit inaccurately!)

Let me know what you think, this one has been a tough one to do!

EDITED

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx8gylc9SlsBc1pNS0M5bDZTZEU?usp=sharing

• 4 weeks later...

Sure man. Just a quick glance over the axe slaughter priest. He has 2 attacks at d3 dam and his blood boil. Which potentially could hit every hero for d3, unlike but possible. 

The other variant has damage 1 with both attacks. He has the potential to cause d3 IF the other one hits. 

At first glance the axe wielding priest can seriously mess up the heros compared to the other. 

I've changed it so;

- Bloodbathed Axe and Blood Boil have been reduced to a static 2 Damage (rather than 1D3).

- Wrath-hammer now Stuns instead of doing 1 damage, but the Hackblade attacks increase from 1 to 1D3, only if the Wrath-hammer stuns the Hero that phase.

I had to word it like that because stun markers on Heroes don't carry across from one turn to another!

I think I'll try my hand at the Bloodstoker next, as he will be quite similar mechanically to the Hackblade Slaughterpriest!

If there's any other Khorne Bloodbound you'd like to see, do let me know. I'll get around to writing up some more of those soon enough.

In the meantime, as a change of pace I've switched from my Chaos-heavy focus onto some Death.

Added the following in the folder;

Deathrattle (Wight King, Grave Guard, Skeleton Warriors)

Nighthaunt (Spirit Hosts, Hexwraiths). 

I'm quite pleased how I've done their "summoning" mechanic - it works differently to a standard ambush and (I think) better represents how the undead just keep getting back up, rather than relying on additional Adversaries rocking up from elsewhere.

A key thing to point out with that (in case anyone was wondering), none of the DEATH Adversaries can go above the total number of models generated for the encounter in the first place. Very important that! I'm proud of the NIGHTHAUNT summoning too, which makes it more likely for them to summon an additional Adversary but only if they manage to grievously wound a Hero in the previous turn. I think its clever writing anyway!

I'm also pretty sure once Shadespire gets closer to release, the Skeleton rules I've done will get updated to accommodate anyone that wants to use those gorgeous models from the Sepulchral Guard faction.

Also, Hexwraiths are written so you can use either the standard mounted models, or as (converted) foot versions. I'd imagine it would be easy enough to jam some spare Hexwraith upper bodies onto some Grave Guard legs!

Let me know what you think, in the meantime I've more to add to Death, like Cairn Wraiths and Tomb Banshees...

Great work you have done here I feel greatly inspired in creating new stories. My group have almost completed Hammerhal so these adversaries should come in handy. 

Two questions came to my mind:

1. Have any og these exotic adversaries been tested yet?

2. Have you considered adding extra vigour to the Lord Of Plague? If you compare your LoP profile to other less tough AOS heroes that already have been officially converted to WHQ like the Herald of Tzeentch the LoP has a vigour of 7 compared to the Heralds vigour of 10. That is kinda wrong in my head. 

Another more important reason to raise the LoP's vigour is because he has no retinue and so will probably be slain before he get to act. Any single adversary with a vigour lower than twelve tends to get hacked to bits during its first turn and even then it's hard for him to stay alive without serious powers or abilities that keep heroes from raining hits on him too fast.

Btw. Love the zombies.. Please consider doing the necromancer at some point. His AOS spell Van Hels dance macabre could do present a real challenge for the heroes.

In response;

1. I have only tested the Clanrats, just once. They got cut down before they could do anything - I don't count that one! So, no. :P

2. Good point! I was trying to be clever with the symbolic numbers associated with each Chaos God, but clearly that doesn't make sense from a rules perspective. Whilst the Lord of Plagues heals at least 1 wound a turn, I agree that he needs a bit more Vigour to outlast just the first turn.

I'll increase it up to what, 10? 12? 14 perhaps? (14 would be good, make him a real hard one to take down quickly!)

(I'm going to be "that guy" and say the Tzeentch Herald actually has 12 Vigour, the Exalted Flamer has 10.)

3. I'm glad you like the Zombies! It was a bit challenging writing interesting behaviour for them - they don't really have the ability to do much more than shamble forwards! I'm gonna do the Necromancer soon, see if I can make him flexible enough to work with a retinue of Zombies or Skeletons!

Please do give any of these a go in your games, I would love to hear what some proper playtesting makes of them! :)

EDIT

Just gave all the NEMESIS Adversaries boosts to their Vigour, especially the ones without a "retinue" - should all be a bit more even across the board now.

My group just ran a Necromancer/Skeleton themed WQ game and the DM ran some custom units using the Acolytes as a base. I don't have the stats as I think they were just because we have a few Undead armies that he could pick from.

I would like to see more exotic / new adversaries and it looks like your off to a good start I look forward to seeing more.

-VonRunestorm

Archived