*Renamed* Hobby Terminology Pet Peeves *Off Topic*

Turragor

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elf, dwarf, orc, grot, aelf, stuntie, oomie ... whatevs.  I just think of them all as zombies just waitin' to be born. 

Btw, if you want some supersilly examples of GW goofy naming, just go back to Damnagar's Black Crusade, the Fighting ******, the Impies and Lankies, "Catachans gunning down gooks" (caption on old Citadel Journal photo), the Slann lobotomized humans, pygmies, etc.

They used to delight in their "cleverness. "

To say nothing of the absolutely stunningly bad macaroni necklace in the 6th ed TK book or the lizzy guys like TicTacToe.

Ugh.

10 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

The worst, and I do mean the WORST is using the word rape to describe win / loss. About as juvenile and misogynistic as it comes. Nasty.

Rape is not gender-specific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_of_males

I think it's odd that some who play a game that glorifies violent acts can be so sensitive.

In other news, "Blood for the Blood God, skulls for the throne of Khorne".

56 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

There's a difference between clearly fantastical violence and very real violence?

Yup.

And saying I've "murdered" an opponent is clearly different than actually murdering him.   Whether someone takes offense at my casual reference to a heinous act is beyond my control.  Although strange, given wargaming is entertainment derived from casual references to violence.

The difference, in my opinion, is that rape is an under-reported crime that has become taboo even to report and we should avoid anything that normalises or glorified it.

Rape and murder are not comparable in this case. For example, if the object of the game was actually to rape your opponent's miniatures with your own, would you still be interested in playing?

Further, while rape can be experienced by both genders, it is disproportionately suffered by women. In a hobby that has traditionally struggled to attract female hobbyists, or even to sculpt female miniatures, anything that provides an additional barrier to entry should be discouraged.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of empathy. I have seen groups of players in their bubble with the "Omg its just joking!" mentality that are just the same 5 guys during years.

The best place to play in my city its a club where the owner its a 50 years old father of two little girls, with a height of 1,90m, that in the past was a profesional canoist. The enviroment its strictly PEGI+3 and its the only place in the city where are actually more female gamers than male.  Its just a wonderful and friendly space, and I have seen the owner throw (in a quasi literal meaning) people away because they were donkey caves.

Humour its contextual, in your house with your friends, just do what you want, but in public spaces we should all be polite, and just avoid things that can offend other people, because I asume that when you say a joke its to make people laugh. If someone its offended and you just don't care, maybe your original intention was not to make the people around you happier. 

1 hour ago, Galas said:

I think the biggest problem is the lack of empathy. I have seen groups of players in their bubble with the "Omg its just joking!" mentality that are just the same 5 guys during years.

The best place to play in my city its a club where the owner its a 50 years old father of two little girls, with a height of 1,90m, that in the past was a profesional canoist. The enviroment its strictly PEGI+3 and its the only place in the city where are actually more female gamers than male.  Its just a wonderful and friendly space, and I have seen the owner throw (in a quasi literal meaning) people away because they were donkey caves.

Humour its contextual, in your house with your friends, just do what you want, but in public spaces we should all be polite, and just avoid things that can offend other people, because I asume that when you say a joke its to make people laugh. If someone its offended and you just don't care, maybe your original intention was not to make the people around you happier. 

Are you a herb because damn you're sage... 

I'll get my coat. 

(I mean your comment is very wise) 

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

The reason I find historical wargaming - particularly WW2 - a bit, oh, odd?

I like my genocide to remain firmly in the land of make-believe, ta.

I recall an event some time ago...Historicon, maybe?  There was an individual who take offense at a German player's use of swastikas in his army.  I suppose there would be some who would be offended by a Confederate flag in a civil war army.   These ideas change with the prevailing culture, I suppose.  Real war is heinous.  There are no good guys.

I much prefer little plastic soldiers.  :) 

On 3/27/2017 at 10:48 PM, roberto said:

Rape is not gender-specific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_of_males

I think it's odd that some who play a game that glorifies violent acts can be so sensitive.

In other news, "Blood for the Blood God, skulls for the throne of Khorne".

Your response pretty much sums up what's wrong with much of the male orientated gaming culture. Absolutely beyond the pale. Yes your right, men get raped. And that's exactly what all the people are implying when they talk about it...  not

As I say, just find its generally a bit gross. And I'm fairly certain anyone who throws it around casually as gamer talk, would do so much less in the presence of women or known rape victims. Much the same as whenever a **moron only uses g a y as a derogatory term when they are comfortable they aren't in the presence of someone who is.

jeeZ

48 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

Your response pretty much sums up what's wrong with much of the male orientated gaming culture. Absolutely beyond the pale. Yes your right, men get raped. And that's exactly what all the people are implying when they talk about it...  not

As I say, just find its generally a bit gross. And I'm fairly certain anyone who throws it around casually as gamer talk, would do so much less in the presence of women or known rape victims. Much the same as whenever a ** moron only uses g a y as a derogatory term when they are comfortable they aren't in the presence of someone who is.

jeeZ

111909946_medium_dc629f.jpg

Archived